• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change(d)?

So in your view we should give up part of our individualism and conserve water in the interest of the community we live in?

To a certain extent yes. However, the state of California should have been building infrastructure to meet our water needs rather than blowing a shitload of money of a "high speed rail" project that has failed and was doomed to fail from the start. (And does hee-haw for the climate.)

So in your view we should give up part of our individualism and conserve water in the interest of the community we live in?

To a certain extent yes. However, the state of California should have been building infrastructure to meet our water needs rather than blowing a shitload of money of a "high speed rail" project that has failed and was doomed to fail from the start. (And does hee-haw for the climate.)
Maybe people in Ca should have been paying attention. Maybe you should run for office. Maybe industrial and population growthshould have been tied to available water. Maybe people should not have been allowed to build in fire and floof probe areas.

It s always somebdy else's fault.

AS the Pogo cartoon pointed out, we have met the enemy and he is us.

1661819828287.png

No surprise the authoritarians get all excited and giddy at the thought of more restrictions rather than actual solutions. That's because none of this is about the climate change/apocalypse/crisis/emergency. It's all about fucking people over. Modern day puritans that hate it when people have nice things.

No, California doesn't need "water nazis". California needs to build infrastructure to address its water needs. But hey, we got high speed rail instead.
That will require desalinization on a massive scale. And that will require an awful lot of power. Those things take time.

We have no choice but to go with water nazis in the short run, it's something that can be done before the taps run dry. The QOP approach is to stick their head in the sand as the water levels drop, pretending the only problems will be ecological which they don't care about. It's just we can get to water more effectively than nature can, they suffer first but that doesn't mean our taps won't run dry.

Both are necessary; conservation and infrastructure.
Agreed. What I disagree with is authoritarians and "water nazis" like yourself dictating how long my shower should be, what my thermostat should be set at and any other piece of nonsense that displeases your puritan instincts. .

The government should do its fucking job and not neglect the infrastructure and allow the Nazi environmentalists to have so much power that we cannot address these problems.
You really won't like the price tag for what needs to be done. The water simply isn't there, you're going to have to get it from the sea.

So in your view we all can consume fiite resources as much as we want?

While I am not religious I always thought one of positive aspects of American Christianity was the idea that community was bigger than the individual. Apparently no more.

1) It's an aspect of Christianity. Modern "Christians" do not follow anything like Christianity.

2) When the resources are gone the end times will come and the good go to heaven--so why worry about it?

Never mind things like this: https://phys.org/news/2022-08-green...&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-nwletter

Sea level is going to rise a foot (and that matters in places like Florida) even with no more CO2 emission. The damage has been done, it's just percolating through the system.

Let's Go Brandon!

That's because none of this is about the climate change/apocalypse/crisis/emergency. It's all about fucking people over. Modern day puritans that hate it when people have nice things.

Does Mr. Swizzle really believe this? Whether one sits "on the left" or "on the right" it is hugely discouraging to see what American political thought has become. I doubt whether the Democracy will even recover.

Both are necessary; conservation and infrastructure.
Agreed. What I disagree with is authoritarians and "water nazis" like yourself dictating how long my shower should be, what my thermostat should be set at and any other piece of nonsense that displeases your puritan instincts. .

The government should do its fucking job and not neglect the infrastructure and allow the Nazi environmentalists to have so much power that we cannot address these problems.
You really won't like the price tag for what needs to be done. The water simply isn't there, you're going to have to get it from the sea.
Meh. Somalis might not be able to afford desalinated water, but Californians can easily.

It's about AU$2/m3 here, delivered by pipeline to your home or business.

The problem is that California should have been building the infrastructure for this decades ago - but Reaganomic reality back in the 1980s said they would rather have tax cuts today than water tomorrow.

Welcome to the wonderful world of tomorrow...

No surprise the authoritarians get all excited and giddy at the thought of more restrictions rather than actual solutions. That's because none of this is about the climate change/apocalypse/crisis/emergency. It's all about fucking people over. Modern day puritans that hate it when people have nice things.

No, California doesn't need "water nazis". California needs to build infrastructure to address its water needs. But hey, we got high speed rail instead.
That will require desalinization on a massive scale. And that will require an awful lot of power. Those things take time.

We have no choice but to go with water nazis in the short run, it's something that can be done before the taps run dry.
No need for water Nazis, just caps on cheap water, and when you go above that cap, then the water gets quite pricey.
The QOP approach is to stick their head in the sand as the water levels drop, pretending the only problems will be ecological which they don't care about. It's just we can get to water more effectively than nature can, they suffer first but that doesn't mean our taps won't run dry.
But a high speed train!

I remember when the GOP instigated a fake energy crisis in California and got the Dems out of power. I don't recall a shift towards sustainable policy when the GOP was in charge.

So in your view we all can consume fiite resources as much as we want?

While I am not religious I always thought one of positive aspects of American Christianity was the idea that community was bigger than the individual. Apparently no more.

1) It's an aspect of Christianity. Modern "Christians" do not follow anything like Christianity.

2) When the resources are gone the end times will come and the good go to heaven--so why worry about it?

Never mind things like this: https://phys.org/news/2022-08-green...&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-nwletter

Sea level is going to rise a foot (and that matters in places like Florida) even with no more CO2 emission. The damage has been done, it's just percolating through the system.
Florida, NY,. Ports of Tacoma, Seattle, San Francisco, and La. Oil infrastructure on the gulf coast.

A lot of industry, population, and infrastructure on both east and west coasts are right at sea level. It is going to be painful and costly.

There was something in the news about a NA tribe on the Wa coast moving to higher ground.

I think Texas was actually an inland sea at one time in history.

There is no going back, ice at the poles are not going to be restored.

At least from what is shown in the media it is largely busness as usual. The Seattle Mariners are doing well and get a lot of attention. Pro football starts in a few weeks and a lot of local hype.

Humor and jocularity in the face of looming doom is standard fare in disaster movies. Along with breaks for sex while running away from something. Women in tight shorts and high heels while disaster unfolds.

Laughing in the face of doom!!!! Coming soon to a theater near you.

Humor and jocularity in the face of looming doom is standard fare in disaster movies. Along with breaks for sex while running away from something.
Yeah but it’s Seattle. All’s fair in love, war and Seattle.

The Seattle Mariners are doing well and get a lot of attention.

Julio Rodríguez and the Seattle Mariners are set on a long-term relationship in the Pacific Northwest, agreeing to a $209.3m, 12-year contract starting next season that would be worth $469.6m over 17 years if he wins two MVP awards.

Teh Gruaniad

In other news, in Cambodia 20,000 climate change/crisis/emergency/apocalypse cultists gathered together to see out the end of the world;

Up to 20,000 Cambodians are taking shelter at a doomsday cult politician's farmhouse while they await an apocalyptic flood that will bring about the end of the world. Khem Veasna, the founder of the League for Democracy Party, claims a 'black hole' has formed in his spine which is sending him messages about an impending flood that will destroy everything apart from his farmland in Siem Reap. He said in one Facebook post: 'I can't sleep because whenever I sleep, my spinal cord is pulling so hard, because the world is breaking down, and the water is flowing into the gap.'

Daily Mail

Well maybe not quite the same but very similar to the end of times predictions from the climate change rabble.

In other news, in Cambodia 20,000 climate change/crisis/emergency/apocalypse cultists gathered together to see out the end of the world;

Up to 20,000 Cambodians are taking shelter at a doomsday cult politician's farmhouse while they await an apocalyptic flood that will bring about the end of the world. Khem Veasna, the founder of the League for Democracy Party, claims a 'black hole' has formed in his spine which is sending him messages about an impending flood that will destroy everything apart from his farmland in Siem Reap. He said in one Facebook post: 'I can't sleep because whenever I sleep, my spinal cord is pulling so hard, because the world is breaking down, and the water is flowing into the gap.'

Daily Mail

Well maybe not quite the same but very similar to the end of times predictions from the climate change rabble.
The return of The Lone Harangeur.

It cones down to this. You either see yourself as part of an interdependent reality on which your life depends, or you see yourself as a lone independent agent free of all group responsibilities.

The American lone male was largely a fiction created by 19th century east coast pulp fiction writers. The mountain man and the cowboy with absolute freedom and no rules..

In other news one third of Pakistan may be going under water.

If climate activists are cults, then what are the MAGA zombiess who blindly follow Trump? Or the Chisrtian cult and its ed times prophesies that are alwyays just around the corner?

Hmmmm....wars, rumors of wars, floods, earthquakes, droughts, an plagues. Looks like the Second Cumming Of Jesus is just around the corner. Are you ready for Judgement Day?

Back
Top Bottom