• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change(d)?

Under the high emissions scenario that the scientists modeled, in which pollution from the burning of fossil fuels continues to climb, warming would trigger ocean species loss by 2300 that was on par with the five mass extinctions in Earth’s past. The last of those wiped out the dinosaurs.

What utter nonsense. It’s modeling based off a scenario that can’t happen.

A rapture like cult.
A high emission scenario can't happen?

The reality is that they don't know enough about methane hydrate behavior or quantity to model it adequately so it's totally omitted from the models--but it very well might be even worse than the CO2. Even if we can live under AC that doesn't mean our food sources can.

The reality is we are already seeing places experiencing deadly heat (at 95F wet bulb you can no longer maintain body temperature), something that wasn't expected for decades. We're getting basically the worst case scenario, why do you say it's impossible we will continue to get that?

Ffs, they can’t get next week’s weather forecast correct never mind the next ten years. Every single prediction has been spectacularly wrong.

A doomsday, end of times, rapture like cult.
You can't predict whether the DJIA will be up or down tomorrow; But we can predict that it will be up ten years from now.

The inability to accurately forecast short term fluctuations in a chaotic phenomenon is not a barrier to the forecasting of long term trends, and your false belief that it must be, as you have expressed here, is a clear, unavoidable, and unequivocal demonstration that you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

If you were smart, you would take this undeniable evidence on board; Recognise that your lack of education in this area is excluding you from useful contribtion to the debate; and either stop trying to contribute, or go away and study to fill the gaps in your competence before contributing further.

However, I predict that you will instead continue to post counterfactual soundbites and empty assertions that your opponents are acting like cult members.

Please disappoint me by confounding my prediction and actually learning something.

Ffs, they can’t get next week’s weather forecast correct never mind the next ten years. Every single prediction has been spectacularly wrong.

A doomsday, end of times, rapture like cult.

The doomsday predictions in the popular press are wrong. The stuff the scientists put out has fared pretty well.

Our modern existence based on alrge amounts of water and abundant food is fragile and always has been. Made obvius by the andemic.

age, Arizona CNN —

Lake Powell, the country’s second-largest reservoir, is drying up.

The situation is critical: if water levels at the lake were to drop another 32 feet, all hydroelectricity production would be halted at the reservoir’s Glen Canyon Dam.

The West’s climate change-induced water crisis is now triggering a potential energy crisis for millions of people in the Southwest who rely on the dam as a power source. Over the past several years, the Glen Canyon Dam has lost about 16 percent of its capacity to generate power. The water levels at Lake Powell have dropped around 100 feet in the last three years.

Oh noes, the climate apocalypse cometh!!

Bryan Hill runs the public power utility in Page, Arizona, where the federal dam is located, and likens the situation to judgment day.

It really, really is a rapture like cult. There’s no other way to describe it when you read nonsense like that.

Our modern existence based on alrge amounts of water and abundant food is fragile and always has been. Made obvius by the andemic.

age, Arizona CNN —

The situation is critical: if water levels at the lake were to drop another 32 feet, all hydroelectricity production would be halted at the reservoir’s Glen Canyon Dam.

The West’s climate change-induced water crisis is now triggering a potential energy crisis for millions of people in the Southwest who rely on the dam as a power source. Over the past several years, the Glen Canyon Dam has lost about 16 percent of its capacity to generate power. The water levels at Lake Powell have dropped around 100 feet in the last three years.
Which is yet another reason (if more were needed) why it's insanity to try to fight climate change by using power plants that are dependent upon the weather.

Hydro, solar, and wind as a response to climate change are hugely risky, because they depend upon climatic conditions at their sites remaining favourable.

We need electricity that is generated without carbon emissions, and without reliance on climate stability. There's only one solution that fits that bill.

age, Arizona CNN —

The Southwest is so F#$Kt . 12 years of drought and no end in site. Sure I live in a cold wet place,but we never worry about power or water. I like to visit the desert,would never want live there. And,I am 70 and a lot of people here snowbird,mostly Mexico and Hawaii.

Under the high emissions scenario that the scientists modeled, in which pollution from the burning of fossil fuels continues to climb, warming would trigger ocean species loss by 2300 that was on par with the five mass extinctions in Earth’s past. The last of those wiped out the dinosaurs.

What utter nonsense. It’s modeling based off a scenario that can’t happen.

A rapture like cult.
Well, thanks for enlightening us. I'm sure you know a lot more than the actual scientists who have studied these things in details for decades. /s

I also live in a cold wet region where flooding is common. It never ceases to amaze me that a person's idea of "emergency" water usage is to water the grass only once a week. That shows how dangerously and insanely and cluelessly accustomed someone can get to actual reality. Watering grass while there is a genuine crisis in availability? Holy fuck are people out of touch!

I also live in a cold wet region where flooding is common. It never ceases to amaze me that a person's idea of "emergency" water usage is to water the grass only once a week. That shows how dangerously and insanely and cluelessly accustomed someone can get to actual reality. Watering grass while there is a genuine crisis in availability? Holy fuck are people out of touch!
I think that all grass watering should be banned, with the possible exception of when seeding a new area. But, I think it would be much better if we stopped putting grass in our yards and instead used natural flora that needs little attention. Unfortunately, most of our yard is still grass, but if the house had been new when we bought it, I would have planted decorative grass, and other low maintenance plants. We've never watered our grass and it still grows. Droughts don't kill it, as it always comes back when the rain returns.

It really, really is a rapture like cult.
Oddly enough that's how Jim Jones described the rest of humanity outside Jonestown. He even wrote a manual for his followers entitled "Advice on How to Avoid Becoming a member of a Cult."

So your advice to the rest of humanity with regards to cult behavior is certainly sound.

How are you and Bigfoot getting along these days?

I think that all grass watering should be banned, with the possible exception of when seeding a new area. But, I think it would be much better if we stopped putting grass in our yards and instead used natural flora that needs little attention. Unfortunately, most of our yard is still grass, but if the house had been new when we bought it, I would have planted decorative grass, and other low maintenance plants. We've never watered our grass and it still grows. Droughts don't kill it, as it always comes back when the rain returns.
Our yard looks like a lawn from more than 20-30 feet away, but it's a multispecies assortment of grasses, wild plants, dandelions etc. I try to only cut it a few times a year and water it minimally. Certainly don't cut it until after the bees have exhausted the dandelions. The deer and rabbits keep it all under control for the most part, but it starts looking raggedy when the few plants they won't eat, start to grow out of proportion to the rest. That's when it gets cut...
Might not be as luxurious to lie on as single species grass but it requires almost no maintenance and looks just fine to me. :shrug:

Excellent advice. Too bad there are too few of us around who recognize the nonsense that is pet grass. Even though dandelion is an invasive I dedicated a portion of the yard to dandelions last year, another portion to native, wild strawberry. I prefer native flora but both are good for the environment and not affected by drought.

Having a grass lawn is okay, what is insane is pouring chemicals and water onto it. There is a person down the street, a good friend, who is clueless. Her chemical grass took a hit last year with the dry, hot weather and much of it died. This is the fate of all chemical lawns once the life that is the soil is destroyed. She was devastated but is incapable of recognizing how wrong is her behavior.

Lots of people fear "nature." My neighbor asked me to keep mowing along my side of his pool fence because the mice will climb the fence and get into his yard. What! It is literally insane how disconnected people can be with regards to environmental reality. I think it all gets back to that religious insanity about man vs nature.

Oh noes, we are all going to die !!!11!!!11!!

Keep calm lad.
You made a statement. You said that every single prediction of climate change has been “spectacularly wrong.” I gave you a link proving just the opposite. Climate change models fifty years old have proven dead-on accurate. Would you care to retract your statement?

I might add that the first climate change prediction owing to fossil-fuel use was by a scientist in 1898. The first newspaper notice of this finding was 1902.

The first prediction that climate change could occur because of human activity goes all the way back to 1837.

No one said “we are all going to die (followed by your childish exclamation points and strings of the number 1).” However, many are already dying from climate change, many more will die, and there will be hundreds of millions of climate refugrees as the waters rise. Swathes of the equatorial regions are slated to become uninhbitable by humans unless we rein in carbon emissions. We already have monster storms, wildfires and droughts that have been specifically tied to climate change, including California’s current mega-drought.

Climate change denialism is a cult. A rapture-like cult.

Let’s go Dump!

A question for twizzler, give him a chance to answer.

There are two common commofities in your home. One you can't do withiut for about 3 days the other a few months,

What are they? Where do they come from?

There are undoubdedly groups paid or not that go around posting repetitive attacks on climate change around the net.
There are probaly sites where one can go to pick up phtases, hemce the repititive mantra.

age, Arizona CNN —

The Southwest is so F#$Kt . 12 years of drought and no end in site. Sure I live in a cold wet place,but we never worry about power or water. I like to visit the desert,would never want live there. And,I am 70 and a lot of people here snowbird,mostly Mexico and Hawaii.
Will the thawing tundra have to be mowed?

On behalf of Ruptured psych-dolts, I'd like to point out that Svante Arrhenius was Swedish, just like Greta Thunberg. Makes you think, hunh?
“Hint to coal consumers,” from 1902:

View attachment 38364
Do you expect us to be impressed by some chemist from Sweden? Get back to us when you have a Russian scientist on your side, and can link to an interview on InfoWars or other credible media.

Sure, Arrhenius won a Nobel Prize. But you know who awarded that Prize? The King of Sweden. The cult was going strong 120 years ago. Anyway isn't Sweden taking Biden's side in the Biden-vs-Trump War being waged by proxy in Ukraine?

No, TSwizzle knows more about climate in one of his pustulant pimples than any Nobel Laureate ever knew in both cerebral hemispheres put together.

Go Brandon!

Who benefits from repetitious t climate denial messaging across the web?

coal
natural gas
oil
politicians
Russia

Back
Top Bottom