• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change(d)?

Some yeras back I wraced a segment on low water toilets. A professor was conrcted to build a toiet for 3rd wprd cuntries.

He invnetd a super slippery surface with fine slippery threads. He had to createa faux poop to test it.

The amount of wtaer a tliet flushes depnds on how slippery the surface is.

Something newer.

Scientists develop spray-on slippery toilet coating to stop poo sticking – video

Ian Sample Science editor

@iansample
Mon 18 Nov 2019 11.11 ESTLast modified on Mon 18 Nov 2019 14.50 EST

The toilet brush need never leave its holder again. Scientists have created a super-slippery coating that helps usher excrement on its way without leaving traces behind.
The spray-on coating, which is slipperier than Teflon, reduces adhesion of even tenacious faeces by up to 90%, tests suggest, so far less water is needed to flush them away and leave the toilet clean.

Toilet tech is no longer the oft-overlooked subject it once was, and much of that is thanks to the Gates Foundation, which has made helping the 3.5 billion people lacking access to clean toilets one of its main missions. But how does one test the durability of potential cost-effective commodes? By using fake poop, of course.

During the Gates Foundation's 2012 Reinvent the Toilet Fair—a competition that encouraged local inventors to create inexpensive and hygienic waterless toilets—organizers obviously couldn't ask all the participants to fill their toilets with round after round of test poops. Instead, the Gates Foundation looked to the engineered excrement of Maximum Performance, a company whose sole mission is to create the best damn fake poop this world has to offer.

Some yeras back I wraced a segment on low water toilets. A professor was conrcted to build a toiet for 3rd wprd cuntries.

He invnetd a super slippery surface with fine slippery threads. He had to createa faux poop to test it.

Older technology was much more efficient as far as water use. They called them outhouses and they used no water. 😉

Older technology was much more efficient as far as water use. They called them outhouses and they used no water. 😉
That worked well enough when 80 per cent of the population lives in rural settings. Not so much in countries where 80+ per cent is urbanised.

Highrise_Building_in_Hongkong.jpg

For evaporation desalination, one can avoid heating the water by boiling it at room temperature, while keeping it warm with a heat exchanger that would be supplied by additional water. From that Engineering Toolbox calculator, I find 30 C: 0.0425 bar, 20 C: 0.023 bar, 10 C 0.0123 bar, 0 C 0.0061 bar. So one will need some strong air pumps, strong enough to make a soft vacuum.

Microsoft PowerPoint - SWRO-and-energy-consumption-KV_5-4-20_dv - Read-Only - energy-recovery-presentation-2020-water-forum.pdf

Page 8:
  • 1970: Multistage Flash -- low-pressure evaporation
  • 1982: Membrane Technology -- reverse osmosis
  • 2002: Membrane Technology Improvement -- more RO
  • 2005: Renewable Energies -- to power the desalination
My comments are after the --'s.

From Page 18 is energy consumption (kWh/m^3):
  • Multistage Flash Evaporation -- 1970: 25, 1978: 19, 1987: 14
  • Reverse Osmosis -- 1988: 13, 1990: 8, 1993: 6, 1998: 5, 2000: 4, 2003: 3.5, 2005: 3, 2010: 2.5, 2020: 2
1 kWh/m^3 = 3.6 J/g

So one can do as good as 7 J/g at the present day.

For low-pressure evaporation, a plausible lower limit can be found with the help of the ideal gas law: for 1 mole of water, R*T or 135 J/g.
You're thinking like an engineer! :D

Not a good idea unless you have a lot of land to act like a septic system leech field.

Not a good idea unless you have a lot of land to act like a septic system leech field.
A septic system needs water. Outhouses don't.

It is a matter of setting priorities, save water or eliminate stench. Steve was worried about water use. Cities like Paris and London were awfully smelly places before there were flush toilets but, with no flush toilets and sewer systems, their water use was minimal.

I suppose a hole in the ground could be called technology. Just don't eat the yellow snow.

It is interesting in all of Star Trek TV I never once saw somebody take a restroom break.

It really comes down to there are too many people.

After fasting for 40 days an 40 nights and taking a dose of peyote I had a vision. Eventually nature will reduce population. The Great Spirit has spoken.

A report from Lebanon said that with the wheat crisis people there are on the verge of starvation. Same reports from other places.

It is a matter of setting priorities, save water or eliminate stench. Steve was worried about water use. Cities like Paris and London were awfully smelly places before there were flush toilets but, with no flush toilets and sewer systems, their water use was minimal.
Their cholera and dysentery levels were pretty spectacular though.

Saving water is easy when you’re dead.

No, there fucking aren’t.

That comment is directly on a par with “It really comes down to there are too many Jews” - it’s the inevitable precursor to attempts to change the world for the worse.

I wish people would learn to be equally as embarrassed to say either thing in public. But for some reason, genocide is fine as long as you are indiscriminate about who else you want to eliminate.

It is a matter of setting priorities, save water or eliminate stench. Steve was worried about water use.
I always got a kick out the fact that they call the outhouse
I suppose a hole in the ground could be called technology. Just don't eat the yellow snow.

It is interesting in all of Star Trek TV I never once saw somebody take a restroom break.

After fasting for 40 days an 40 nights and taking a dose of peyote I had a vision. Eventually nature will reduce population. The Great Spirit has spoken.

A report from Lebanon said that with the wheat crisis people there are on the verge of starvation. Same reports from other places.
Even more impressive is that there wasn't even a toilet in the kids' bathroom on The Brady Bunch. For 6 kids no less! Makes you wonder what sort food Alice was cooking up that enables you from ever having to relieve yourself.

That comment is directly on a par with “It really comes down to there are too many Jews” - it’s the inevitable precursor to attempts to change the world for the worse.

Whether it's worth saying is debatable, but I agree with the "nature will reduce the population" part. Especially if one views humans (a likely factor in that reduction) as part of nature.

Reactions: DBT
Yes, but at what cost? Easily obtained coal and petroleum — however unnecessary they MIGHT be with today's high-tech — helped propel Homo sapiens into high technology. Several million years from now when H. sapiens is extinct and some other species MIGHT "pick up the mantle" they will be stymied by these deprivations.

Many dangers are much more short term and urgent than the loss of coal and oil. As just one example, the Amazon rain forest is projected to become arid by 2064.

Whether it's worth saying is debatable, but I agree with the "nature will reduce the population" part. Especially if one views humans (a likely factor in that reduction) as part of nature.
Nature has had a number of attempts at reducing human population, and has been utterly unsuccessful at it, with populations both local and global rapidly overwhelming any natural reductions in very short order.

However the invention of a contraceptive that requires no action “in the heat of the moment”, and which is in the sole control of women, coupled with increasing access to primary education for girls, has succeeded where nature failed.

War, famine, disease - all were commonplace until the late C20th, and yet population grew exponentially. But since then, those things have become increasingly uncommon - and population growth has declined sharply, and is still falling.

This anti-human pseudo-religious “population problem” is bunkum. It’s very popular, and widely believed, but it’s nonsense nevertheless.

And (like the religious beliefs it resembles) people use it to justify all kinds of evil acts, both of commission and of omission.

It’s an idea that needs to die. There are NOT too many people, and there never will be unless something dramatic happens to counteract the demographic impact of the development of the oral contraceptive.

Yes, but at what cost? Easily obtained coal and petroleum — however unnecessary they MIGHT be with today's high-tech — helped propel Homo sapiens into high technology. Several million years from now when H. sapiens is extinct and some other species MIGHT "pick up the mantle" they will be stymied by these deprivations.

Many dangers are much more short term and urgent than the loss of coal and oil. As just one example, the Amazon rain forest is projected to become arid by 2064.
Who predicted such a thing? Was it the same person who in the 1950s predicted that by 2000 we would all own flying cars and there would be a thriving colony on Mars?

Or maybe Paul Ehrlich (a modern Malthusian) that predicted (in the 1980s, I think) that before the year 2000 there would be mass starvation and food riots in the U.S. Amazingly, some people still look to him as a reliable analyst. Why are there people who will accept any doomsday prophesy if it is cataclysmic enough?

One scientist's prediction fails, so you mistrust ALL scientists. Got it.

You'll fit in real well in post-rational Amerikka.

One scientist's prediction fails, so you mistrust ALL scientists. Got it.

You'll fit in real well in post-rational Amerikka.
Not one "scientist" prediction but I have never seen any of the hundreds of catastrophic predictions of calamity I have heard actually happen.

I notice that you didn't say who made such a prediction. I would assume that it was a fear monger seeking clicks. You are surely not claiming that it was from a peer reviewed scientific journal are you?

When did it become a thing to say "the science says" followed by some asinine claims?

It's a sanitation issue, not just a smell issue.

That worked well enough when 80 per cent of the population lives in rural settings. Not so much in countries where 80+ per cent is urbanised.

Highrise_Building_in_Hongkong.jpg

That looks like another version of Hell.

I notice that you didn't say who made such a prediction. I would assume that it was a fear monger seeking clicks. You are surely not claiming that it was from a peer reviewed scientific journal are you?

When did it become a thing to say "the science says" followed by some asinine claims?
Sorry. I didn't know that the Amazon forest's fragility was little-known. These should help you get started:

I didn't Google to see if these scientists are "asinine." Perhaps you can do that for us.

Sorry. I didn't know that the Amazon forest's fragility was little-known. These should help you get started:

I didn't Google to see if these scientists are "asinine." Perhaps you can do that for us.
Sorry, my antivirus software won't let me open that link unless I disable the cookie blocking...which I'm not going to do. Does your link really state that "the Amazon rain forest is projected to become arid by 2064"? If so who is credited with the research? What peer reviewed journal was the research published in? I can check their credentials if I know their name.

Fragility is not a magic word that causes thinking people to suspend all reason and accept any claim that follows it.

Back
Top Bottom