• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

CNN reports Trump Org - Alfa Link still under investigation

Very interesting indeed...

"...researchers quickly dismissed their initial fear that the logs represented a malware attack. The communication wasn’t the work of bots. The irregular pattern of server lookups actually resembled the pattern of human conversation—conversations that began during office hours in New York and continued during office hours in Moscow. It dawned on the researchers that this wasn’t an attack, but a sustained relationship between a server registered to the Trump Organization and two servers registered to an entity called Alfa Bank. ... Eighty-seven percent of the DNS lookups involved the two Alfa Bank servers. “It’s pretty clear that it’s not an open mail server,” Camp told me. “These organizations are communicating in a way designed to block other people out.” ...Earlier this month, the group of computer scientists passed the logs to Paul Vixie. In the world of DNS experts, there’s no higher authority. Vixie wrote central strands of the DNS code that makes the internet work. After studying the logs, he concluded, “The parties were communicating in a secretive fashion. The operative word is secretive. This is more akin to what criminal syndicates do if they are putting together a project.” Put differently, the logs suggested that Trump and Alfa had configured something like a digital hotline connecting the two entities, shutting out the rest of the world, and designed to obscure its own existence. "

And from there, the plot thickens. It gets so thick you would build a wall on the southern border out of it.

"Tea Leaves and his colleagues plotted the data from the logs on a timeline. What it illustrated was suggestive: The conversation between the Trump and Alfa servers appeared to follow the contours of political happenings in the United States. “At election-related moments, the traffic peaked,” ...

I posed the same basic questions to the Trump campaign. Trump spokeswoman Hope Hicks sent me this in response to my questions by email:

The email server, set up for marketing purposes and operated by a third-party, has not been used since 2010. The current traffic on the server from Alphabank's [sic] IP address is regular DNS server traffic—not email traffic. To be clear, The Trump Organization is not sending or receiving any communications from this email server. The Trump Organization has no communication or relationship with this entity or any Russian entity.

I asked Hicks to explain what caused the Trump Organization to rename its host after the New York Times called Alfa. I also asked how the Trump Organization arrived at its judgment that there was no email traffic. (Furthermore, there’s no such thing as “regular” DNS server traffic, at least not according to the computer scientists I consulted. The very reason DNS exists is to enable email and other means of communication.) She never provided me with a response."

Nope - nothing to see here, just a couple of corrupt billionaires plotting to overthrow US democracy. Happens every day - nothing to get upset about.

Nope - nothing to see here, just a couple of corrupt billionaires plotting to overthrow US democracy. Happens every day - nothing to get upset about.
Dude read the damn follow up from the damn author himself. And then read my link.
You are rehashing the same article we had originally

Dude, if you have something to say, say it. I'm at work and am supposed to be off. Not gong to spend time looking for "your link" or reading long apologetics screeds. At least not today! Maybe explain why Hicks and her orange oligarch wouldn't answer the question?

Dude, if you have something to say, say it. I'm at work and am supposed to be off. Not gong to spend time looking for "your link" or reading long apologetics screeds. At least not today!
I see, you have not even read the link you commented, typical you.

Dude, if you have something to say, say it. I'm at work and am supposed to be off. Not gong to spend time looking for "your link" or reading long apologetics screeds. At least not today!

Uh... wrong. Try again...
Typical. Maybe explain why Hicks and her orange oligarch wouldn't answer the question?

Complete and utter garbage I was talking about. And author himself seem to agree with that in his own follow up http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...luating_new_evidence_and_countertheories.html :)

So people who run the story originally admit that there were no story.
Yet you keep bringing it up again and again.

I read your link and it is far from making the story "complete and utter garbage."

From your link:
" This one might well be entirely innocent or even accidental. As the New York Times reported on Tuesday, after my story published, the FBI looked into the server activity but “ultimately concluded that there could be an innocuous explanation, like a marketing email or spam, for the computer contacts.” Or maybe it’s less than innocent, as the computer scientists suggested and still believe. (I’ve checked back with eight of the nine computer scientists and engineers I consulted for my original story, and they all stood by their fundamental analysis. One of them couldn't be reached.) I concluded my account of these scientists’ search for answers by arguing that the servers and their activity deserved further explanation. Hopefully my story and the debate that has followed will move us closer to a fuller understanding."

Complete and utter garbage I was talking about. And author himself seem to agree with that in his own follow up http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...luating_new_evidence_and_countertheories.html :)

So people who run the story originally admit that there were no story.
Yet you keep bringing it up again and again.

I read your link and it is far from making the story "complete and utter garbage."
No, you have not read my ink,
From your link:
That's not my link, That's your link, or rather link from your link which basically backs off from original claim of "Wow! Wow!" to "Sorry I was too fast with my conclusions"

Here is my link you have not read - https://talkfreethought.org/showthr...-investigation&p=509391&viewfull=1#post509391
" This one might well be entirely innocent or even accidental. As the New York Times reported on Tuesday, after my story published, the FBI looked into the server activity but “ultimately concluded that there could be an innocuous explanation, like a marketing email or spam, for the computer contacts.” Or maybe it’s less than innocent, as the computer scientists suggested and still believe. (I’ve checked back with eight of the nine computer scientists and engineers I consulted for my original story, and they all stood by their fundamental analysis. One of them couldn't be reached.) I concluded my account of these scientists’ search for answers by arguing that the servers and their activity deserved further explanation. Hopefully my story and the debate that has followed will move us closer to a fuller understanding."

Yep, the guy backs off.

Uh... wrong. Try again...
Well, you said you had no time to read links.
Typical. Maybe explain why Hicks and her orange oligarch wouldn't answer the question?
What question?

"what caused the Trump Organization to rename its host after the New York Times called Alfa?"

The hickster and her boss were unable to answer that simple question, but surely you can.
And remember this? I know it was a whole day ago, but...

"I also asked how the Trump Organization arrived at its judgment that there was no email traffic. (Furthermore, there’s no such thing as “regular” DNS server traffic, at least not according to the computer scientists I consulted. The very reason DNS exists is to enable email and other means of communication.)"

"what caused the Trump Organization to rename its host after the New York Times called Alfa?"
Trump Organization did not rename it, they could not rename something they did not own.
The hickster and her boss were unable to answer that simple question, but surely you can.
You could too, if you actually read the link.
And remember this? I know it was a whole day ago, but...

"I also asked how the Trump Organization arrived at its judgment that there was no email traffic. (Furthermore, there’s no such thing as “regular” DNS server traffic, at least not according to the computer scientists I consulted. The very reason DNS exists is to enable email and other means of communication.)"
What about it?
And no, DNS existence is not caused by email. Author is an idiot.

Trump Organization did not rename it, they could not rename something they did not own.

The link again? I don't see where someone else was named as the owner of either the domain or the server.

You could too, if you actually read the link.

"The link" AGAIN?

Who said "caused by"? (Oh, right - you did)
I suppose that whoever actually owns/uses the server in question could just leave it out there as a raw TCP/IP address, but they didn't. They gave it a name, then changed it after its activities came under scrutiny. Maybe you should just admit that you have no explanation. It would make you look less desperate to cover for Trump Org shenanigans. But covering for shenanigans seems to be your raison d'être...
Of course, it could be something as simple as DNSChanger malware... and I'm sure a lot of Estonian hackers would be real proud of themselves...

The link again? I don't see where someone else was named as the owner of either the domain or the server.
You are fucking annoying.
https://talkfreethought.org/showthr...-investigation&p=509391&viewfull=1#post509391
"The link" AGAIN?
Again, you are fucking annoying
https://talkfreethought.org/showthr...-investigation&p=509391&viewfull=1#post509391

Who said "caused by"? (Oh, right - you did)
I suppose that whoever actually owns/uses the server in question could just leave it out there as a raw TCP/IP address, but they didn't.
That would make their spam operation difficult.
They gave it a name, then changed it after its activities came under scrutiny. Maybe you should just admit that you have no explanation.
I fucking gave you explanation. First it does not belong to Trump organization. Second I would have done exactly the same if I was running spam company.
It would make you look less desperate to cover for Trump Org shenanigans.
No, it would not make me look anything like that or not that.
But covering for shenanigans seems to be your raison d'être...
Of course, it could be something as simple as DNSChanger malware... and I'm sure a lot of Estonian hackers would be real proud of themselves...
No, there were no malware, read the fucking link I posted 4 times already.
The truth is, chances are you had "communication" with that server as well.
If I was Trump or even Putin I would have prayed for Robert Mueller to bite on this stupid story. Because it would completely destroyed credibility of his investigation.

Back
Top Bottom