• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

CNN Townhall

The whole thing was a failure. It never should have happened. Nor provided a WWE like audience in support of him.

As far as interviewing Trump, you'd need a very good psychologist or a top quality hostage negotiator. Someone that is trained to deal with Trump's mental illness.
My guess is that Trump demanded a friendly audience or would refuse the interview.
My guess is because Trump attracts deadbeat losers like flies on shit, the only people with free time for such a circle jerk would be red baseball cap wearing fucktards.

My guess is because Trump attracts deadbeat losers like flies on shit, the only people with free time for such a circle jerk would be red baseball cap wearing fucktards.
If 2020 has shown us anything is that leftists have a lot of time on their hands at all times of day. As long as there is a Target to be looted and vandalized.

He was coherent in the way that the elderly Trump is able to be coherent: petulant, unrepentant. Aggrieved. Self centered.
Being himself, in other words.
I saw a couple of wide shots that showed some dressed up white boys cheering/chortling like they were watching and admiring an episode of Jackass, if that show is what I think it is.
Is "people pulling stupid and dangerous stunts" what you think it is?
Really, I think he attracts a certain demographic that thinks of him as a grumpy old grandpa who gives no fucks and sticks it to The Man,
Isn't that what you have been saying about Bernie too? Btw, he has really become a disappointment lately.
with the usual racist seasoning one expects from Trump.
Can you give an example?

I can’t comment on whether this performance is more or less likely to help him get the nomination. He’s Trump only 7 years older. …and deeper in debt.
St. Peter, don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store…

I think inflation will hurt Biden. I think the general public has little to no understanding that a POTUS cannot simply reverse all the things the firmer guy had put into place.
Biden pushed to keep the Pandemic era largess like the expanded unemployment benefits far longer than needed. He also wanted to add $3,500,000,000,000.00 in new spending. Only Manchin and Sinema saved us from even more inflation. So your position here that inflation is somehow Trump's fault is dishonest.
Trump was clever enough to sabotage enough to make it hard to climb out of his morass in a few years.
What exactly do you think he "sabotaged" specifically? And to the effect he screwed things up, I have to go with Hanlon's (or is that Heinlein's?) razor: never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence.
Worst of all, and most unfortunately, he has given enough cover to a lot of people who are…white supremacist or leaning that way that they are emboldened and brazen.
Ah yes, the boogieman du jour. :rolleyesa:

I know you think I’m a far left radical but I actually think that it’s important that change—progress be made slowly, so that people have an opportunity to adjust and to correct missteps, glitches, any direction that turns out to not be a good one as they come up.
Yes, I do think that about you. :)
But I agree that government needs to be responsive enough to correct course if needed. Like not push for $3.5T in new entitlement spending when the inflation is rising to 9% already. Or end pandemic largess when the economy reopens and the extraordinary levels or spending are no longer needed.

This Trump deal is disturbing because it treats it more like entertainment than actual news.
Actual news is boring, and sells only to a tiny niche market.

The stuff sold as "news" today is just entertainment, some of which is "based on a true story".

Most people like to be scared (ask any roller coaster owner); They like to be outraged; They like to be "in the know".

Most people don't like to be informed, and they won't pay for it (not even via the very limited proxy of watching advertisements).

No for-profit "news" corporation* has sold actual news for decades. Few of their customers have noticed, or care.

*Including, perhaps particularly, News Corporation

This Trump deal is disturbing because it treats it more like entertainment than actual news.
Actual news is boring, and sells only to a tiny niche market.

The stuff sold as "news" today is just entertainment, some of which is "based on a true story".

Most people like to be scared (ask any roller coaster owner); They like to be outraged; They like to be "in the know".

Most people don't like to be informed, and they won't pay for it (not even via the very limited proxy of watching advertisements).

No for-profit "news" corporation* has sold actual news for decades. Few of their customers have noticed, or care.

*Including, perhaps particularly, News Corporation
My partner who's a few years younger than me had to watch this in High School. If you can find it I highly recommend it.

I'm gifting this analysis or 'analysis' of Trump's talk on CNN: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/11/...60NdgyuCaBmINKvx03LOrnVUDh6Emw&smid=url-share

I will say that while I watched only a very tiny bit of the interview, I did not think badly of Kaitlin Collins and am a bit pleased that NYT also does not pan her for deigning to interview him.
I read Bruni's piece earlier this morning and I think he made some good points. It wasn't wrong to interview Trump. It was wrong to fill the audience with Trump supporters. That's what made it seem like a Trump rally. If Collins had simply had an interview without his cult leading him on, it would be evident that he's as crazy and nasty as ever, a pathological liar and a narcissist, same as it ever was. Yet, this dangerous fool may be elected to a second term, regardless of all the criminal charges he's facing and all the insane lies he put out there. Yet, some people worry about Biden's mental state! Idiocracy is here!

And btw, a bit off topic, out of curiosity, I did a tiny bit of research to see if a pathological liar is considered someone with a mental disorder. I learned that it's listed as a symptom, usually equated with narcissism so, there we have it. Trump and Santos both have symptoms of mental illnesses, not that most of us didn't already know that. What kind of a country have we become that elects people with those two, among others who also have similar symptoms. Looking at many of the Republicans in office or those who have lost elections yet claim that they won, it almost seems as if narcissism is contagious.

I'm gifting this analysis or 'analysis' of Trump's talk on CNN: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/11/...60NdgyuCaBmINKvx03LOrnVUDh6Emw&smid=url-share

I will say that while I watched only a very tiny bit of the interview, I did not think badly of Kaitlin Collins and am a bit pleased that NYT also does not pan her for deigning to interview him.
I read Bruni's piece earlier this morning and I think he made some good points. It wasn't wrong to interview Trump. It was wrong to fill the audience with Trump supporters. That's what made it seem like a Trump rally. If Collins had simply had an interview without his cult leading him on, it would be evident that he's as crazy and nasty as ever, a pathological liar and a narcissist, same as it ever was. Yet, this dangerous fool may be elected to a second term, regardless of all the criminal charges he's facing and all the insane lies he put out there. Yet, some people worry about Biden's mental state! Idiocracy is here!

And btw, a bit off topic, out of curiosity, I did a tiny bit of research to see if a pathological liar is considered someone with a mental disorder. I learned that it's listed as a symptom, usually equated with narcissism so, there we have it. Trump and Santos both have symptoms of mental illnesses, not that most of us didn't already know that. What kind of a country have we become that elects people with those two, among others who also have similar symptoms. Looking at many of the Republicans in office or those who have lost elections yet claim that they won, it almost seems as if narcissism is contagious.
I think that Trump thrives off of and perhaps even needs an audience, probably a friendly audience, to perform. I've been to enough kinds of performances that most performers need their audience to be at their best. It may well have been Trump's condition that an audience--a friendly audience be there. Who knows?

For the brief clips I saw, I don't necessarily agree that the audience was cheering in affirmation but rather cheering as they would an episode of Jackass: enjoying the spectacle. These disillusioned youth/adolescents!

I also think that we are wise to see that Trump still does play to a certain portion of the population.

His party will back him, if he brings in the dollars. That's the real test. Hopefully, there will be a lot of attention as to sources of money. I'm (a little) less concerned about billionaires contributing than I am at foreign entities finding ways to hide their contributions.

On the one hand, giving Mr. Trump air time is giving him what he needs. On the other hand, every time he opens his pie hole, he sounds more and more delusional. I’d like to think that the latter works to the country’s benefit and consigns him to the dustbin of history. If it doesn’t, there is no hope for my country.

On the one hand, giving Mr. Trump air time is giving him what he needs. On the other hand, every time he opens his pie hole, he sounds more and more delusional. I’d like to think that the latter works to the country’s benefit and consigns him to the dustbin of history. If it doesn’t, there is no hope for my country.
I find it very difficult to believe that anyone on the planet is still on the fence about Trump. I cannot see any constructive benefit in giving him any more airtime. Trump could literally suck off George Soros whilst being pegged by Ilhan Omar and his fans/followers would still find a way to rationalise it (probably saying some bullshit about how Trump is simply playing deep undercover or some asinine shit).

I find it very difficult to believe that anyone on the planet is still on the fence about Trump. I cannot see any constructive benefit in giving him any more airtime. Trump could literally suck off George Soros whilst being pegged by Ilhan Omar and his fans/followers would still find a way to rationalise it (probably saying some bullshit about how Trump is simply playing deep undercover or some asinine shit).
It got him to dig incriminate himself.

Cool. Who changed their mind about him as a result?

America's loss of hope is within Congress at the moment, and a politician that wants to be Speaker so bad, he is willing to destroy the American economy to do so.

Right wing fascists are in masturbatory glee over Trump's performance on CNN

Cool. Who changed their mind about him as a result?
It made it easier for him to be convicted.

Back
Top Bottom