• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Colorado club shooter is non-binary, CNN repeatedly misgenders them.

Speaking of nomenclature, monkeypox is now mpox, because Biden heard 'monkey' and immediately thought of black people.

I am ignorant? Ignorance is thinking that gender and sex are somehow fluid. Thats ignorance. Arrogance is to change language and definitions to meet your narrow Worldview. The pretentiousness of the "woke" on this board to call the rest of us who dont bend over to your insane, unscientific ideology of nonsense, ignorant is beyond the pale.

Trust me, you wont be fine with it when your child comes home and wants a sex change operation. Then we will see hypocricy in full flower.
People get to decide on their own name. Why do you think that doesn't include the appropriate pronouns?
Actually, there are some names that are forbidden by the State.

But in any case: yes, for many decades we've allowed people to legally change their names, by marriage or by deed poll. But in all those decades, nobody changed their pronouns, and nobody asked, because you don't get to choose your pronouns. In fact, I can think of no language where the target of the pronouns gets to 'choose' their pronouns.
Languages do not control what people are allowed or permitted or expected to say. Social conventions and social understandings are the arbiters not language.
Social conventions and social understandings of course shape language, and language also shapes our social conventions. When I was a teenager I scoffed at the notion of freedom being extinguished just because the word was gone. I know much better now.
I tire of right-wing vapid references to freedom. They often make the most anti-Freedom arguments there are. What they want is authority over the social order, not freedom.

Person A through Y walks in and are completely baseline gender wise, and that makes the right-winger happy. Person Z walks in and says they identify as the opposite gender. Pro-freedom right-winger at this point should understand and accept this is who that person is. Instead, pro-"freedom" right-winger gets angry, whips out a dictionary, and proceeds to inform this person that they are wrong and that they will not adhere to Person Z's identity. And then pro-"Freedom" right-winger gets angrier if people support Person Z, declare it "virtue signaling", and demand everyone else accept their pro-"freedom" stance on people and identity.

They don't cry out for freedom, they cry out for inertia.

Speaking of nomenclature, monkeypox is now mpox, because Biden heard 'monkey' and immediately thought of black people.

The Canola Oil industry and the produces of *insert soda name* Zero thanks you to remember that words do very much matter.

The funny thing is the reference to race with the term "monkey", and how quickly Metaphor gets there.

Seriously?
I'm having trouble imagining how Australia would forbid a name.
Many countries have forbidden names. They simply do not permit the name to be put on the birth certificate or register.

The laughing emogi was the most sarcastic response I could make.
On IIDB
Tom
Thanks for sharing your most relevant and intelligent response ever.

I am ignorant? Ignorance is thinking that gender and sex are somehow fluid. Thats ignorance. Arrogance is to change language and definitions to meet your narrow Worldview. The pretentiousness of the "woke" on this board to call the rest of us who dont bend over to your insane, unscientific ideology of nonsense, ignorant is beyond the pale.

Trust me, you wont be fine with it when your child comes home and wants a sex change operation. Then we will see hypocricy in full flower.
People get to decide on their own name. Why do you think that doesn't include the appropriate pronouns?

But in any case: yes, for many decades we've allowed people to legally change their names, by marriage or by deed poll. But in all those decades, nobody changed their pronouns, and nobody asked, because you don't get to choose your pronouns. In fact, I can think of no language where the target of the pronouns gets to 'choose' their pronouns.
Languages do not control what people are allowed or permitted or expected to say. Social conventions and social understandings are the arbiters not language.
Social conventions and social understandings of course shape language, and language also shapes our social conventions. When I was a teenager I scoffed at the notion of freedom being extinguished just because the word was gone. I know much better now.
I tire of right-wing vapid references to freedom. They often make the most anti-Freedom arguments there are. What they want is authority over the social order, not freedom.
So, when I ask that the State does not force me to utter things I do not believe, I want 'authority over the social order'?

Person A through Y walks in and are completely baseline gender wise, and that makes the right-winger happy.
What on earth is 'completely baseline gender wise'??

Person Z walks in and says they identify as the opposite gender.
What does that mean?

Do you mean: person Z walks in, is clearly of one sex, and claims to be the other sex?

Pro-freedom right-winger at this point should understand and accept this is who that person is. Instead, pro-"freedom" right-winger gets angry, whips out a dictionary, and proceeds to inform this person that they are wrong and that they will not adhere to Person Z's identity.
"Adhere to their identity"?

So, you mean: I should be forced to utter things I do not believe. I don't know what else you can mean.

And then pro-"Freedom" right-winger gets angrier if people support Person Z, declare it "virtue signaling", and demand everyone else accept their pro-"freedom" stance on people and identity.
What have I demanded? That you don't force me to utter things I don't believe?

They don't cry out for freedom, they cry out for inertia.

Either idea - that pronouns refer to gender identity of human targets, or that human targets of pronouns get to choose their pronouns - are not something that has existed in English language history before about 2015. There is now a small, but very dedicated and powerful alliance pretending that usage is now changed and accepted by the majority of the population.
No, the very small, dedicated alliance is trying to get usage accepted by the majority of the population. Language usage evolves over time - it does not change overnight.

The Canola Oil industry and the produces of *insert soda name* Zero thanks you to remember that words do very much matter.

The funny thing is the reference to race with the term "monkey", and how quickly Metaphor gets there.
I had no idea monkeypox was offensive until I was told; I neglected to think of black people as monkeys.

I had no idea monkeypox was offensive until I was told; I neglected to think of black people as monkeys.
Just because you were unaware does not mean it could not be a problem. Pejoratively referring to black people as monkeys is common in the US.

Just because you were unaware does not mean it could not be a problem. Pejoratively referring to black people as monkeys is common in the US.

I live in southern Indiana. Arguably the northern most tip of The South.
I've never heard anyone refer to black people as monkeys.

Perhaps the use of the term in Michigan is common because y'all think you're too Woke to be racist?
I dunno.
Tom

*media snip*
Seriously, this is the stuff you watch on YouTube?
It's funny. You'd don't think its funny 'cause it offends your religion; like a Vicar watching Life of Brian. But's it's still funny.
Lots of evil shit can still be funny, if the person observing it does not care that it is evil.

I imagine I would find it quite funny watching the subject of the OP get treated badly under the policy proposals I have made, seeing as they would be someone who proclaims womanhood among a sea of fairly stereotypical men who have a loose grasp on consent.

In fact I think it's hilarious, rolling on the floor wheezing funny that bad faith would be repaid with a policy that prevents that bad faith from giving them the leverage they seek over their future housing situation.

The idea that I, a person who does not aspire to womanhood in any way could get what they want (to not be housed with a bunch of sperm shooting testosterone jockeys), while the jackass in the OP who is almost certainly in bad faith would be stuck with the sperm launching testosterone jockeys despite identifying themselves as a woman tickles me.

But at the same time, I also recognize it's evil, and when I feel those feelings rise up in me, I then recognize "but then an evil is done!" And I realize no matter how funny it is, it's not the sort of thing I ought let myself laugh at.

Instead, as I find an awareness of that light and fizzy emotion bubbling up, I also reflect on how badly they will be treated until I don't feel that joy, on my ability to empathize even with a murderer who makes a mockery of gender issues. I continue until the laughter dies and I find only the recognition of the dark tragedy that they brought upon themselves, and ways it may be avoided in the future (perhaps through the tragic existence OP's own cautionary tale).

Yes, I could laugh at such things. But I won't, any more than I would watch videos of people winning Darwin awards.

I imagine I would find it quite funny watching the subject of the OP get treated badly under the policy proposals I have made, seeing as they would be someone who proclaims womanhood among a sea of fairly stereotypical men who have a loose grasp on consent.

When did the shooter proclaim womanhood? Did you even read the OP?

Lots of evil shit can still be funny, if the person observing it does not care that it is evil.
Both evil and funny are quite subjective.

I laughed my gay ass off at Dave Chappelle's take on gay culture. It was hilarious! Painfully true. Politically Incorrect.

Put him up in the Pantheon of Comedy greats with Fluffy.
Almost.
Fluffy still has a bit of an edge.
Tom

I live in southern Indiana. Arguably the northern most tip of The South.
I've never heard anyone refer to black people as monkeys.

Perhaps the use of the term in Michigan is common because y'all think you're too Woke to be racist?
I dunno.
Tom
I don't believe you. You've never heard the term porch monkeys?

You've never seen any of these?
110419-davenport-obama-hmed-2a.jpg

57eeef98633fc.image.jpg

13_sockobama_lgl.jpg

So you were oblivious. Well now you learned about 18th/19th century racism.

Both evil and funny are quite subjective.

I laughed my gay ass off at Dave Chappelle's take on gay culture. It was hilarious! Painfully true. Politically Incorrect.
Oi, politically incorrect? Chapelle is funny because he is:

1) a comic genius
2) not mocking gays

One day people might understand the difference between jokes that reference verses jokes meant to mock and be spiteful. And the whole issue of jokes on potentially sensitive aubjects being crafted expertly.

Once again, another important misstep in the world brought to the attention of Internet Infidels: a persistent misuse of a pronoun to describe an alleged mass murderer by a news organization.
Misgendering is violence.
um--violence--really? As someone who has been gay bashed with verbal queer insults; and earlier as a child of fundamentalist parents, spanked, I would prefer simply to be insulted, bad as that was--it was not violence.
The correct formulation is "misgendering can lead to violence/ can be a dog whistle inviting violence." According to you, what CNN did to the alleged gunperson was the same as what said gunperson allegedly did in the Colorado nightclub.

Last edited:
But they're not born gay, or straight. They're just not.
A bold statement with no basis of fact behind it gets you nowhere.
Sure Jan.

Some babies are born straight. They have decided they know which sex they are sexually attracted to. Others are born gay. They too have decided.

Honestly there's an upper limit to the nonsense you can put out Jarhyn. At least, I hope there's an upper limit.
Everyone is born primed with a template or heuristic of who they will eventually be sexually attracted to.

It isn't about something they decide, it's about something they are intrinsically, and that is generally something they are well on their way to becoming even at birth.

In that way, some babies are born straight, some are born gay, some are born bisexual some are born asexual. Some will have sexuality grow into them as a function of their born predelictions and experience.

The only deciding they get to do about that is generally whether they will accept the sexuality they find that they have or whether they fight it in a manner most unhealthy.
proof? cite your sources please.
or is this mainly an ideological position?

Back
Top Bottom