• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Colored-Shirt Political Movements

How will people know which team you cheer for, if you don't wear the team colours?

It's a far more convenient proxy for tribal affiliation than painting your naked body with woad, or wearing a headdress made from endangered species.

I, for one, would disdain any movement that places such little value on arts and crafts that they simply wear a shirt of a given colour. At least have a cleverly designed hat or something which your supporters need to take some time putting together in order to show that the movement is important to them.

I'm not a fan of symbolism. I've seen too many that embraces that in order to fit in for the sake of having someplace to belong to. Sending a message of awareness about the 3,000 lbs gorilla which everyone, already knows is setting in the room strikes me as a little self-aggrandizing.

EXAMPLE. I remember a video awhile back about college kids camping outside their dorm room to make people awear of the homeless. Half way through this video a real homeless person walked into their presence and they had him removed by security rather than help the man out. Now what message did that send?

There are people who want to help and there are people who want to be seen helping out and symbolism's have a way of granting the latter with a cover for their lack of integrity.

...That latter article links to articles about similar movements featuring these shirt colors:
  • Red
Wait, you're telling me there's a political movement of redshirts? Why would anyone want to join that?

dysfunctional-redshirts.jpg

As the great George Carlin said,

"I love individual people. When you encounter people one at time you can see the great potential of the human species.
But I hate groups, especially when they get together for a common cause.
Pretty soon they've got slogans, matching hats, armbands, and a list of people they're going to visit at 3am.
Groups are dangerous and not to be trusted."

Back
Top Bottom