• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Columbia University is colluding with the far-right in its attack on students

Front and center, obviously well done sign that says "From the River to the Sea". That's a dog whistle for genocide.

The right of the Jewish people to the land of Israel is eternal and indisputable and is linked with the right to security and peace; therefore, Judea and Samaria will not be handed to any foreign administration; between the Sea and the Jordan there will only be Israeli sovereignty
Three questions:
1. How many Arabs live under Israeli rule in Israel without being murdered?
2. How many Jews live under Palestinian rule in Gaza and the West Bank without being murdered?
3. Are you under the impression that "dog whistle for X" is purely a function of syntax and is independent of who is doing the whistling and which dogs are being whistled at?

Congratulations! As the 37th thread post to express that when someone writes something it is not purely a function of syntax but depends on who the authors are and particularly the intent behind the writing, your post wins a prize.

37prize.PNG

The Ten Stages of Genocide

Patterns of Genocide

Genocide is a process, not a single event. A key feature of the genocidal process is that it is not only a systematic but also a patterned form of attack on a group. This means that in the short-term we can often identify the emergence of intent at its early stages when genocidal patterns are played out in localized ways. The list of patterns below is meant to help guide the identification of “microcosms” of genocide at stages when a wider array of prevention tools may still have some utility.

I think what we are seeing in Gaza is a genocide in the early- to mid-stage of development. It isn't full on genocide yet, but it's getting there.

"Othering" has already happened. Dehumanizing the people of Gaza has been going on for decades. Gross human rights violations are being normalized. The deaths of tens of thousands of unarmed non-combatant civilians and the impending starvation of millions is seen as a good thing by the people doing the killing and their supporters.

There is still time to stop the development but it's going to require a very strong push back from people who reject indiscriminate revenge killing and religious ethnocide as legitimate policies or national aspirations. Which brings us right back to Columbia and the students protesting against the university's investments in the arms industry and involvement in violations of international law and crimes against humanity.

Sticking your head in the sand doesn't make them go away.
Piling sand on our heads doesn't make them real.
I'd be interested in who conducted those supposed polls, how they were conducted, how the questions were phrased (in Islamic, presumably), by whom and under what circumstances.
I doubt it was done by any method that didn't involve some selection bias, since that would be fairly impossible in Gaza.
I'm tired of the eternal derails in repeatedly asking for sources on the polls.

Read!

How does the above jibe with what you said here?

And when you're in Gaza you had better say what Hamas wants you to say.
Some of the other answers are pretty negative towards Hamas. I don't know the details of how they are doing the polls but it's not just what Hamas wants.

I'd be interested in who conducted those supposed polls, how they were conducted, how the questions were phrased (in Islamic, presumably), by whom and under what circumstances.
I doubt it was done by any method that didn't involve some selection bias, since that would be fairly impossible in Gaza.

Read!

I am tired of the
false accusations of derail when asked to support a claim of fact.
Since I find I've posted their site 4 times previously in the last couple of months you certainly have seen it. Thus keeping asking for it is a derail.

Ad hominem.

If people missed a link you posted, re-post it. I do it all the time. It's very easy.
When people keep missing it it's not an innocent mistake.

If you can't remember exactly when you posted it, use the Search feature in the upper right corner of this page. Type in the key words and then put your username in the rectangle where it says By:

If your search comes up empty then consider the possibility that the reason people say they don't remember it is because you didn't post it.
I did just that. Posted multiple times in the last couple of months.

Patterns of Genocide

Genocide is a process, not a single event. A key feature of the genocidal process is that it is not only a systematic but also a patterned form of attack on a group. This means that in the short-term we can often identify the emergence of intent at its early stages when genocidal patterns are played out in localized ways. The list of patterns below is meant to help guide the identification of “microcosms” of genocide at stages when a wider array of prevention tools may still have some utility.

I think what we are seeing in Gaza is a genocide in the early- to mid-stage of development. It isn't full on genocide yet, but it's getting there.

"Othering" has already happened. Dehumanizing the people of Gaza has been going on for decades. Gross human rights violations are being normalized. The deaths of tens of thousands of unarmed non-combatant civilians and the impending starvation of millions is seen as a good thing by the people doing the killing and their supporters.

There is still time to stop the development but it's going to require a very strong push back from people who reject indiscriminate revenge killing and religious ethnocide as legitimate policies or national aspirations. Which brings us right back to Columbia and the students protesting against the university's investments in the arms industry and involvement in violations of international law and crimes against humanity.
The same companies that supply Israel with arms also supplies Ukraine (and our other allies).

Some of the other answers are pretty negative towards Hamas. I don't know the details of how they are doing the polls but it's not just what Hamas wants.

So in conclusion Hamas wants the people in the poll in Gaza to give results that are not just what Hamas wants?

Read!

I am tired of the
false accusations of derail when asked to support a claim of fact.
Since I find I've posted their site 4 times previously in the last couple of months you certainly have seen it. Thus keeping asking for it is a derail.
I personally have not asked because I think it is pointless question since the response can mean many different things.

I think it is reprehensible that a moderator accuses posters of derailing because they ask for a source.

Last edited:

Patterns of Genocide

The same companies that supply Israel with arms also supplies Ukraine (and our other allies).
Yes, they are.

I'm sure investing in those companies has been very profitable over the years. I'm also sure that having a financial stake in the continuation of armed conflicts is incompatible with Columbia University's values as stated on their website.

Those protesting students have brought up some valid points.

Last edited:

Read!

How does the above jibe with what you said here?

You're avoiding the question.

Patterns of Genocide

The problem with defining so-called "genocide" this broadly is that it becomes virtually impossible to wage a defensive war without running afoul of one of the ten stages.

"Othering" has already happened. Dehumanizing the people of Gaza has been going on for decades.
You mean dehumanizing the people of Israel by Gazans and other Palestinians, surely? Why aren't you (and the UN) applying these "stages of genocide" to Palestinian factions, including Fatah?

Gross human rights violations are being normalized. The deaths of tens of thousands of unarmed non-combatant civilians and the impending starvation of millions is seen as a good thing by the people doing the killing and their supporters.
Civilians die in wars. That does not make it "genocide". Were the Allies guilty of "genocide" against Germans in WWII?
In this war, Hamas is deliberately putting their own people in harm's way. They are also hindering humanitarian aid. Not even Nazis stooped that low. It's self-genocide in addition to attempted genocide against Israel I guess.

Which brings us right back to Columbia and the students protesting against the university's investments in the arms industry and involvement in violations of international law and crimes against humanity.
Why are these criminal Columbia students (breaking and entering is a crime!) not concerned about "violations of international law and crimes against humanity" by their buddies from Hamas? Could it be because ...
55eda7e9213391b0c1668f0e67fbf062

[two Democracy Now! videos]
You are aware that DN is a far left outlet that has been propagandizing against Israel for years?

"Evil" and "immoral" mean the same thing: that the part of the perpetrator's brain with the function of implementing ethical constraints is failing to do its job. "Evil" is not an accusation that the person is not fundamentally human. Duh! Nobody calls a rapist evil when the rapist is a duck.
I don’t think evil and immoral are the ssme thing at all. I see the term evil to mean something much more than just immoral. My limited powers of observation suggest to me that I am not unique in that distinction.
What do you think the difference in their meanings is, and what have you observed that makes you think that?
I think evil is a special horrific form of immorality. Most people that I have observed reserve the description of evil for genocide, horrific mass murders ( e.g. Charles Manson murders), apartheid, etc… Typically lying or adultery may be viewed as immoral but not evil.

To be fair, my sampling is limited by my general lack of awareness on such issues.
So, pretty much the difference between "large" and "huge". Fair enough; I stand corrected. Are we agreed, then, that if bilby were to grant that "large" stuff exists while claiming "huge" is cartoonish nonsense promoted by theists and other spatial-sense-deficient non-thinkers, then the sort of distinction you're making between the meanings of the two words would provide no cover for his peculiar contention?

Patterns of Genocide

Yes, they are.

I'm sure investing in those companies has been very profitable over the years. I'm also sure that having a financial stake in the continuation of armed conflicts is incompatible with Columbia University's values as stated on their website.

Those protesting students have brought up some valid points.
I didn't see anything in their values that are against having a financial stake in the continuation of armed conflicts. In fact, their value " create knowledge that will take humanity forward" can't happen if imperialists are allowed to gobble up countries. When the flow of arms to Ukraine slowed down, Russia stole miles of land taking 4 villages. The civilians in these villages are no longer "taking humanity forward". We need arms to defend people against oppressors. I wish there was a different way. But there isn't.

You are aware that DN is a far left outlet that has been propagandizing against Israel for years?
Media Bias Fact Check rates Democracy Now as high on factual reporting. Is reporting facts propaganda? Is Israel perfect and never does any wrong?

Media Bias Fact Check rates Democracy Now as high on factual reporting. Is reporting facts propaganda? Is Israel perfect and never does any wrong?
"High on factual reporting" makes them extreme left wing, according to conservotards claiming not to be trumpsuckers.
Centrist reporting would be epitomized by FOX News, which is of course reliable, now that they've been fined almost a billion$ for lying.

As the encampments continue, it makes me wonder, what in the heck are these people majoring in?! I wouldn't have had the time for any of this.

As the encampments continue, it makes me wonder, what in the heck are these people majoring in?! I wouldn't have had the time for any of this.
In a vast majority of campuses, the semester or quarter is over. So I doubt very few are attending class or have any pressing academic work to do.

Back
Top Bottom