• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Columbia University is colluding with the far-right in its attack on students

"Evil" and "immoral" mean the same thing: that the part of the perpetrator's brain with the function of implementing ethical constraints is failing to do its job. "Evil" is not an accusation that the person is not fundamentally human. Duh! Nobody calls a rapist evil when the rapist is a duck.
I don’t think evil and immoral are the ssme thing at all. I see the term evil to mean something much more than just immoral. My limited powers of observation suggest to me that I am not unique in that distinction.
What do you think the difference in their meanings is, and what have you observed that makes you think that?
I think evil is a special horrific form of immorality. Most people that I have observed reserve the description of evil for genocide, horrific mass murders ( e.g. Charles Manson murders), apartheid, etc… Typically lying or adultery may be viewed as immoral but not evil.

To be fair, my sampling is limited by my general lack of awareness on such issues.
So, pretty much the difference between "large" and "huge". Fair enough; I stand corrected. Are we agreed, then, that if bilby were to grant that "large" stuff exists while claiming "huge" is cartoonish nonsense promoted by theists and other spatial-sense-deficient non-thinkers, then the sort of distinction you're making between the meanings of the two words would provide no cover for his peculiar contention?
I think “ evil” is often misused (like genocide or racism) to describe something that is an affront to a particularly narrow viewpoint. While I could be wrong, my reading is that bilby’s response was, in essence, to such misuse.

"Evil" and "immoral" mean the same thing: that the part of the perpetrator's brain with the function of implementing ethical constraints is failing to do its job. "Evil" is not an accusation that the person is not fundamentally human. Duh! Nobody calls a rapist evil when the rapist is a duck.
I don’t think evil and immoral are the ssme thing at all. I see the term evil to mean something much more than just immoral. My limited powers of observation suggest to me that I am not unique in that distinction.
What do you think the difference in their meanings is, and what have you observed that makes you think that?
I think evil is a special horrific form of immorality. Most people that I have observed reserve the description of evil for genocide, horrific mass murders ( e.g. Charles Manson murders), apartheid, etc… Typically lying or adultery may be viewed as immoral but not evil.

To be fair, my sampling is limited by my general lack of awareness on such issues.
So, pretty much the difference between "large" and "huge".
No, the difference involves intent, magnitude, and scope. (For some religious folk, it implies a certain dude that sports a pitchfork.)

If I kick you in the testicles, that'd be immoral.
If I round up dozens of males who disagree with me politically and cut off their testicles, that'd be evil.

Or in the Israel-Hamas situation:
Israel's treatment of the Gazans in their response to 10/7 is immoral.
Hamas' attack on Israel on October 7th including the massacre of children was evil.

Summer classes have just started any many
As the encampments continue, it makes me wonder, what in the heck are these people majoring in?! I wouldn't have had the time for any of this.
Probably gender studies, or ethnic studies or a similar grievance-based major.

As the encampments continue, it makes me wonder, what in the heck are these people majoring in?! I wouldn't have had the time for any of this.
I have never understood people who brag about how little they understand the world around them.

Grievance-based majors? Jebus! Can you see anything without distortion?

Kudos to the presidents of Northwestern and Rutgers not only for dealing with campus protests in a smart way, but also for standing up to congressional bullies who would rather have seen protesters met with violence and expulsion. They simply talked the protesters into a peaceful resolution without giving in to unreasonable demands or taking sides. Unlike the students, Republicans in the House committee weren't interested in rational discussion.

Rutgers, Northwestern defend deals with student protesters: ‘We had to get the encampment down’

The presidents of Northwestern and Rutgers universities defended their decisions to end pro-Palestinian encampments through negotiations rather than police force, telling a House committee on Thursday that they defused the danger without ceding ground to protesters.

“We had to get the encampment down,” Northwestern’s Michael Schill said. “The police solution was not going to be available to us to keep people safe, and also may not be the wisest solution as we’ve seen at other campuses across the country.”

Schill and Jonathan Holloway of Rutgers were called before the House Education and the Workforce Committee as part of a series of hearings examining how colleges have responded to allegations of antisemitism.

[two Democracy Now! videos]
You are aware that DN is a far left outlet that has been propagandizing against Israel for years?
Media Bias Fact Check rates Democracy Now as high on factual reporting. Is reporting facts propaganda? Is Israel perfect and never does any wrong?
Note that you can be high on facts and yet have a considerable bias.

You are aware that DN is a far left outlet that has been propagandizing against Israel for years?
Media Bias Fact Check rates Democracy Now as high on factual reporting. Is reporting facts propaganda? Is Israel perfect and never does any wrong?
That is a bit tricky. I think what that actually means is they are telling the truth, however, not painting a complete picture, allegedly not providing enough context of Israeli actions from Israel's perspective (as a reminder Israel is a country of people and there are likely multiple perspectives), which makes final judgment difficult. However, the part of the story they are reporting on is accurate, and likely something you aren't going to want to believe or give much emphasis.

The best, most effective, lies are usually the partial truth.
Tom

Very true.

It is also true that conservatives and the far right feel that facts have a "leftist" bias.

Which media bias org is that? Do you have a link?

I found this chart from League of Women Voters, fwiw:
271964225_10158084056286396_1916998474756011630_n.jpg

It shows DN! straddling the line between "skews left" and "high partisan left" and also the line between "analysis or high variation in reliability" and "opinion or high variation in reliability". It is certainly not rated high on factual reporting in this chart.
I think it should be placed both further left and further down, at least when it comes to their anti-Israel screeds. Because on Israel, DN! is extremely one sided.

All that said, Loren is right - one can be extremely misleading while not saying any outright lies (whether or not DN! is telling outright lies).

In any case, if you look at DN! anti-Israel reporting over the years, and do not see extreme levels of bias, you need to visit your optometrist.

We all know you wanted to send them off to Gaza to be killed, but assaults are still illegal in this country even if you politically disagree with the message.

Typical. Pro-Hamas occupiers are getting a pass yet again. In NYC too - NYPD is dropping charges against most of those creeps.
Is it possible that charges are dropped because of a lack of evidence of actual wrongdoing ? You do realize an arrest does not make someone guilty.

It shows DN! straddling the line between "skews left" and "high partisan left" and also the line between "analysis or high variation in reliability" and "opinion or high variation in reliability". It is certainly not rated high on factual reporting in this chart.
My statement had nothing to do with their bias. It had to do with their truthfulness.

Is it possible that charges are dropped because of a lack of evidence of actual wrongdoing ? You do realize an arrest does not make someone guilty.
It is possible of course. It is more probable that the decision is political given how far-left DAs in both NYC and LA are.
It's the same way most 2020 rioters got away with their crimes.

Back
Top Bottom