• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Commander of SEAL raid that killed bin Laden blasts Trump: You have 'embarrassed,' 'humiliated' U.S.

phands

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Hardcore Atheist
People are finally speaking the truth about the traitor in the White House....

In an open letter to Donald Trump published in the Washington Post, retired Navy admiral William McRaven blasts Trump over his revocation of former CIA director John Brennan's security clearance. McRaven was the commander of the U.S. Navy SEAL race that killed al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden. He does not mince words in telling Trump what he thinks of him.
I would consider it an honor if you would revoke my security clearance as well, so I can add my name to the list of men and women who have spoken up against your presidency.Like most Americans, I had hoped that when you became president, you would rise to the occasion and become the leader this great nation needs. [...]
Your leadership, however, has shown little of these qualities. Through your actions, you have embarrassed us in the eyes of our children, humiliated us on the world stage and, worst of all, divided us as a nation.
McRaven also calls Trump’s behavior “McCarthy-era tactics,” but assures Trump that if he thinks those tactics will silence critics “you are sadly mistaken.”

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...sts-Trump-You-have-embarrassed-humiliated-U-S

There are nations far less powerful than the mighty USA, and though the form of government those other counties have might not be envious (to say the least), one thing that strikes me as peculiar is if one of those countries wanted to shut someone up, their leaders have the POWER to do so. The US can destroy mountains but can't silence anyone.

There are nations far less powerful than the mighty USA, and though the form of government those other counties have might not be envious (to say the least), one thing that strikes me as peculiar is if one of those countries wanted to shut someone up, their leaders have the POWER to do so. The US can destroy mountains but can't silence anyone.

And what's your point?

Which is our greatest strength and our most important virtue.

So what is the point of Trump threatening to take away security clearances? How effective is it at silencing people whose careers depend on one? It's the dog that doesn't bark.

So what is the point of Trump threatening to take away security clearances? How effective is it at silencing people whose careers depend on one? It's the dog that doesn't bark.

It barks alright. It just can't bite. Trump does it just because it's a presidential power that doesn't need anyone else's approval. We keep forgetting he has the mind of a three-year-old.

It barks alright. It just can't bite. Trump does it just because it's a presidential power that doesn't need anyone else's approval. We keep forgetting he has the mind of a three-year-old.

So you think he's not doing it to intimidate people into keeping quiet?

But it's more evidence of criminal behavior on his part:

(Limited free access, if you're denied open it private.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...mueller/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.63130024ddb0

Which is our greatest strength and our most important virtue.
Good point. Damn good point. But I so very badly wanted to answer underseer.

It's humiliating when it should be something more positive. It's like there's no fear from the public. In fact, it's so bad and gone so far the other direction that it's the leader that has to fear--current one excluded--or at least the one most apt to be an exception if there ever was one.

If there was a devastating hurricane strike, the president shouldn't have to hold a press conference and say just the right thing in just the right way, but he does--to avoid relentless backlash from becoming apart of mainstream negative opinions articulated in the most repulsive ways--that no real king with crushing powers would dare tolerate.

I admire the virtue, but the cost, oh my, it puts a whole new perspective on presidency. Being there to serve the public is awesome, but if you can't take a few out for the general principle of it once in awhile, then the power the president has (mighty as it is) pales in humiliating shame to the leaders of the world who can and will bring hush upon a nation when desired.

Walk tall with a big stick. Use it only sparingly, but damn, either you have power or you don't. There's no question the presidents have had power, but it's a power of a kind that holds heads down, not up. Virtue, sure, but OMG, is there no room for kingsmanship? No, then power takes on a whole new meaning.

The US does have freedom of speech.

I am as free to speak as Exxon Mobil.

But the volume of the speech is a little different.

I admire the virtue, but the cost, oh my, it puts a whole new perspective on presidency. Being there to serve the public is awesome, but if you can't take a few out for the general principle of it once in awhile, then the power the president has (mighty as it is) pales in humiliating shame to the leaders of the world who can and will bring hush upon a nation when desired.

Walk tall with a big stick. Use it only sparingly, but damn, either you have power or you don't. There's no question the presidents have had power, but it's a power of a kind that holds heads down, not up. Virtue, sure, but OMG, is there no room for kingsmanship? No, then power takes on a whole new meaning.

And that was the point they were making in 1776. This NYT opinion piece by Tim Weiner offers some perspective:
... The president essentially has accused Mr. Brennan of lèse majesté — the crime of criticizing the monarch, tantamount to treason. Remarkably, this relic of the days when kings were deemed divine remains on the books in some European monarchies as well as nations like Saudi Arabia, where a critique of the crown is considered terrorism.

It’s not a crime in the United States. That’s why we fought a revolution against a mad king.

https://www.military.com/daily-news...aven-dont-know-him.html?ESRC=navy-a_180822.nl

Trump brushes off criticism from McRaven. "I don't know him."

Well, that settles it. Trump really, really likes and respects 'his' military, though he knows more than they do, except the ones he doesn't know.
Gotta say, just blowing off an Admiral's rebuke certainly restores my confidence in the office, and the draft-dodging twat waffle who occupies it.

Back
Top Bottom