• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Congrats - Your Data Was Stolen... Again

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
United Healthcare had a hack and they are currently trying to figure just how many people have been impacted.

Can we just pass a bill that requires all corporations that house any data on us to have to contribute 100% (in aggregate) to a credit monitoring system that All Americans will be part of?

From the title, I thought someone stole my SF 86 back from the Chinese. And there was another fed hack after that I got hit by. Not that I had much left to hide. You get someone's security questionnaire and that's pretty much the whole ball of wax, save for all the messed up shit floating around in my head.

I wonder why the feds haven't made paying ransom flat out illegal.

Can we just pass a bill that requires all corporations that house any data on us to have to contribute 100% (in aggregate) to a credit monitoring system that All Americans will be part of?

3 months later...

Credit monitoring system: sorry, your data was stolen.

We have an epidemic of hacking at the moment too. Airlines, healthcare providers, airlines. So much data in the hands of those who do not want it nor deserve it.

A lot of it is sheer carelessness and inattention to detail

Too many systems use the internet for their data communications. Sensitive data should be kept in closed systems. My old healthcare employer had three major hospitals and dozens of outpatient clinics all hard networked by fiber running all over the county.

3 months later...

Credit monitoring system: sorry, your data was stolen.
It took me four years to after my data was stolen to convince Equifax that I had not moved to Delaware in 2018. In fact I told them multiple times that not only had I not moved there, but I had never been there and had not even flown over the state as far as I knew. Yet the next time I checked, the Delaware address was always still there. Two years after I'd "locked down" my credit and put fraud alerts on every account and at every credit agency, "I" was still trying to buy thousands of dollars in farm equipment in Arkansas...where I also have never been.

Back
Top Bottom