• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Cool sleuthing video: security, Raspberry Pi, etc.

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism
[YOUTUBE]UeAKTjx_eKA[/YOUTUBE]

Pretty cool stuff. A Reddit user found a bunch of Raspberry Pi devices around a school library, each with a Wi-Fi dongle. Suspecting a man-in-the-middle attack, he got in contact with a security expert who made the video. He explains the process by which he determined the function of the devices, which turn out to have been a student project for something a lot of businesses do: scan and catalog the number of smart devices in a given area so that you can estimate how many people are in a given part of your establishment at any given time.

1. I'm not a security guy, so I didn't even consider the possibility of using a large number of cheap Raspberry Pi devices for something like a MitM attack on users at public Wi-fi.
  2. It's a pretty cool example of some of the weird things one can do with a bunch of super cheap and tiny computers.
  3. I know a little teeny tiny bit about LINUX, which probably made the video more confusing for me than if I knew nothing about LINUX. I'm clearly one of those "knows just enough to be dangerous" people.

I figured a lot of people around here have teenagers, and this might be a fun video to watch with teens, and then have a discussion about security at public Wi-Fi (use VPN if you have it!), as well as a discussion about some of the cool things that can be done by tinkerers at home if you know your way around LINUX and have a little programming skill.

Perhaps if you run a business that offers free public Wi-Fi, you might want to keep an eye out for such devices just in case someone is using your establishment to prey on you or your customers.

If you ever do a student project like this, maybe label your devices so that people don't think you're skimming credit card numbers or something nefarious?

The single most effective thing a non-technical person should do to protect themselves from MitM attacks is NEVER to connect any device to a free wi-fi network that does not require a password. If they attempt to connect and are able to get in without supplying (or having earlier saved) the password, that's a big red flag.

Businesses and other organizations offering free wi-fi should secure their system properly, and then provide the password to users as required - even if they put the password up on a big poster so everyone who wants it can see it, that is FAR safer for users than having an unsecured node with no password required.

Back
Top Bottom