• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Cop killer's widow says he should have killed more cops

She felt they were coming to kill him--when there was no such threat other than punishment for murder.
Coming to kill him?
This was her reaction AFTER they had killed him.

She said that afterwards but at the time he killed the cop they weren't coming to kill him, but merely to arrest him.

Coming to kill him?
She said that afterwards but at the time he killed the cop they weren't coming to kill him, but merely to arrest him.
The question is whether she understood or believed the circumstances of the crime committed. Cops being a bit quick to violence isn't exactly unheard of. So it is somewhat understandable for her to have jumped to a conclusion, without her just thinking thug life is awesome and all cops should die.

Coming to kill him?

Yes. So her comments were not about 'wanted in connection to a homicide' but about him being gunned down.
Nothing there about how they should not have sought him in connection to a crime, or that he should not have expected to be punished for crimes. Your comments seem to be completely disconnected from hers.

This is kinda why i think the article is a teensy bit despicable, it shows only part of her comment, and completely out of context, allowing all sorts of things to be fabricated about her meaning, her intent, and how widespread this attitude pervades a community.

Yes. So her comments were not about 'wanted in connection to a homicide' but about him being gunned down.
Nothing there about how they should not have sought him in connection to a crime, or that he should not have expected to be punished for crimes. Your comments seem to be completely disconnected from hers.

This is kinda why i think the article is a teensy bit despicable, it shows only part of her comment, and completely out of context, allowing all sorts of things to be fabricated about her meaning, her intent, and how widespread this attitude pervades a community.

You're putting the cart before the horse.

At the time he killed the cop the cops were merely coming to arrest him. Thus her comments are either based on a false premise or she felt they were unjust in wanting to arrest him. I rather suspect the latter.

At the time he killed the cop the cops were merely coming to arrest him. Thus her comments are either based on a false premise or she felt they were unjust in wanting to arrest him. I rather suspect the latter.
You suspect a lot of things.

Her full comment was that he should have killed more cops if they were just going to kill him.
I think, and at this point i believe SHE thinks it was a false premise, that they had just decided to kill him rather than arrest him. At no point did she say they shouldn't even have wanted to arrest him.

Why would you even begin to suspect the latter?

Her full comment was that he should have killed more cops if they were just going to kill him.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I confess I'm baffled as to why you think this makes it OK.

Why would it be good to kill more cops in those circumstances?

I haven't read the whole thread, but I confess I'm baffled as to why you think this makes it OK.
Well, i'm baffled about where you find me saying it was okay????
Why would it be good to kill more cops in those circumstances?
Good? Never said that.
All i've ever tried to convey in this thread is that her immediate, enraged reaction to what she THOUGHT happened is something different than how it's portrayed in the article linked in the OP, which only quotes part, and takes it completely out of context.
I would have to look, but i think i only may have said that her comment was understandable, as a reaction, certainly not that it's something i endorse or think that a community should endorse.

I think i may even have said i was okay with the actions of law enforcement, as far as i understand them at this point in time. Shots fired, cop dead, hail of return fire.
I regret his death, i regret the cop's death, i regret her loss and i really resent how the media chose to portray her reaction at her weakest moment.

Thank goodness the thoughts that go through my head when I'm stricken with grief and/or rage aren't accessible to the internet's "experts" on whatthefuckever.

Thank goodness the thoughts that go through my head when I'm stricken with grief and/or rage aren't accessible to the internet's "experts" on whatthefuckever.
In Babylon 5, when Delenn's mentor she wanted the entire species of his killers to be slaughtered. The only difference between that scene and this widow's is that there was an entire Navy in a position to accept Delenn's grief-stricken rage as sailing orders.

....And she wasn't misquoted in the NYPost.

I would have to look, but i think i only may have said that her comment was understandable, as a reaction, certainly not that it's something i endorse or think that a community should endorse.

I don't think most people would jump to the "wouldn't it have been great if he had killed lots more people" card. In this or most any context.

I don't think most people would jump to the "wouldn't it have been great if he had killed lots more people" card. In this or most any context.
Unless there was a substantial mistrust in the cops and the woman believed the cops had no interest in just arresting him... all of this outside the context of what had actually happened as she wouldn't believe the narrative they gave her.

This doesn't condone what she said. What it does is put it in a likely context that a misunderstanding or mistrust to what happened led to her statement, not because she has a doctorate in thuganomics.

Unless there was a substantial mistrust in the cops and the woman believed the cops had no interest in just arresting him... all of this outside the context of what had actually happened as she wouldn't believe the narrative they gave her.

This doesn't condone what she said. What it does is put it in a likely context that a misunderstanding or mistrust to what happened led to her statement, not because she has a doctorate in thuganomics.

I'm not sure "mistrust" is an accurate word for a desire to see someone dead.

If you start with a premise that dead cops is a bad thing I don't see how you say what she says.

It is if you think the cops did to her husband what happened to the likes of Amadou Diallo.
If you start with a premise that dead cops is a bad thing I don't see how you say what she says.
You may say it if you think that your husband killed a cop in self-defense and was then shot and killed himself.

How about a simple 'revenge' card?
If she thought, or was told, that her husband had been gunned down by the cops, that they had no interest in arresting him, that they'd started shooting first, because first reports of any shooting are always going to be more emotional than factual, then she may have expressed a wish that he'd taken a few more COPS down with him.
This is how i understood her words at the time. Not that she wanted people in general dead, or even white people in general dead. Just the cops that shot her husband.

Patriots express similar wishes about people in foreign countries who shoot our troops all the time. No one seems to get upset about their expressed desires for revenge.

Jesus fuck, do we need a cartoon drawing?
If she 'mistrusts' the cops, say she has a personal history of seeing cops abuse their powers, infringe the rights of suspects, and have quick trigger fingers in certain neighborhoods, then she may distrust their motives in shooting him, or their reports about what happened.
If she perceived that the cops had killed him when they didn't have to, she may have felt a need for revenge to be visited upon those that did it.
In the heat of the moment.
On a false premise, or an emotional outburst.

Jesus fuck, do we need a cartoon drawing?
If she 'mistrusts' the cops, say she has a personal history of seeing cops abuse their powers, infringe the rights of suspects, and have quick trigger fingers in certain neighborhoods, then she may distrust their motives in shooting him, or their reports about what happened.
If she perceived that the cops had killed him when they didn't have to, she may have felt a need for revenge to be visited upon those that did it.
In the heat of the moment.
On a false premise, or an emotional outburst.

So, it seems we all agree her words are consistent with the idea that she thought more dead cops is good.

It seems you have a lack of empathy for those who would be angry with her saying that in the context of a tragic cop killing.

So, it seems we all agree her words are consistent with the idea that she thought more dead cops is good.
No. I find her words are consistent with rage, not with thinking.
It seems you have a lack of empathy for those who would be angry with her saying that in the context of a tragic cop killing.
Not at all, dismal. I lack empathy for the editor of the story who chose to portray her as a stone-cold bitch, incompletely quoting her and taking it OUT of the context in which it was made. I understand why people react to the story the way they did, i've been saying that's not the real story, or at least not the complete story, and the editor should be ashamed of his or her self for creating a spin on the story exactly to draw that reaction.

Back
Top Bottom