• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Corporate Moochers - how to spot them

How to "serve the people": Set ALL prices, including wages, by supply-and-demand.

ZiprHead

This is the big reason I hate libertarianism so much. Labor is simply a matter of supply and demand to the economic theory. Fuck no! Labor is people. Real humans. Fellow citizens of our country (in this case).

But not only (wage-earning) labor is people, but also management, and the unemployed, and the independent contractors, and the CEOs and investors and speculators -- all are "real humans" and "people" and "fellow citizens" -- and so is a loaf of bread "people" and "real humans" and so on, because that loaf of bread, and every product, required people to produce it and get it to market.

So if "labor" is not a matter of supply-and-demand, then NOTHING is a matter of supply-and-demand, and we should throw supply-and-demand out the window entirely, for everything, and have prices for everything, not just "labor," fixed by law, and anyone who buys a product at low price is then a "moocher" by this standard, and everytime you find a bargain price for anything, you're just as much a parasite and "moocher" off the system as WalMart or any other company that pays slave wages.

An economic systems should serve the people.

That's what the law of supply-and-demand does. By letting this rule set all the prices, even for labor, we are best serving all the people. This supply-and-demand pricing system makes us all better off and results in a higher standard of living for us than any other method of setting prices.

she evidently got her impression of what happened from the popular myth since she obviously can't have gotten it from an accurate news report.
I got it from watching the debate live. It was disgusting. Even Ron Paul thought it was disgusting and couldn't answer the question. The rest of the audience sat there without calling out the shouter, some clapped.
Good god, Rhea! You watched it live?!? With your own ears, you heard Wolf Blitzer say:

"Let me ask you this hypothetical question. A healthy 30-year old young man has a good job, makes a good living, but decides you know what, I'm not going to spend 200 or 300 dollars a month for health insurance 'cause I'm healthy, I don't need it. But no something terrible happens, ah, all of a sudden he needs -- who's going to pay for if he goes into a coma for example? Who, who pays for that?
<Paul talks>
What do you want?
<Paul talks>
But he doesn't have that, he doesn't have it and he's, and he needs, he needs intensive care for six months. Who pays?
<Paul talks>
Congressman are, are you saying that society should just let him die?"

and then you heard somebody in the audience say "Yeah.", and then you heard Ron Paul say "No.", and then you heard one or two more people in the audience shout "Yeah!"; and then afterwards you recounted the event like this:

" letting people die in the street is wrong. Acknowledging that some people do not think that is wrong and believe that when people are not able to pull in a living wage it is their own fault and they - and their children - deserve the consequences. (videotaped example: the people who shouted "let them die!" at the GOP debate when the question of what to do with uninsured sick people came up.)"​

and you can just sit there and blithely thank me for showing your statement to be TRUE?!? Are you so deep in reality avoidance that you sincerely believe somebody in favor of letting an adult die who had the option and chose to bet his life and who lost his bet qualifies as a "videotaped example" of thinking it's not wrong to let children die in the streets because they deserve it because it's their parents' own fault that they are not able to pull in a living wage? Or is it just that once you've written somebody off as evil you really don't give a damn any more whether the things you say about him are true?

she evidently got her impression of what happened from the popular myth since she obviously can't have gotten it from an accurate news report.
I got it from watching the debate live. It was disgusting. Even Ron Paul thought it was disgusting and couldn't answer the question. The rest of the audience sat there without calling out the shouter, some clapped.
Good god, Rhea! You watched it live?!? With your own ears, you heard Wolf Blitzer say:
Ha ha cute. But that was in reply to you saying I was following some liberal spin or something, so it was relevant to recount that it was not from some paraphrased version that tried to obscure important info, but that I heard the entire dialogue.

Unlike this version of yours, where, for reasons I do not understand, you blotted out Paul's responses. Which were important to the flavor. Including, "He has to take responsibility for his own risks" which was then cheered. Why did you obscure the facts there? They are right in the video that I linked, why did you decide to color that out?

"Let me ask you this hypothetical question. A healthy 30-year old young man has a good job, makes a good living, but decides you know what, I'm not going to spend 200 or 300 dollars a month for health insurance 'cause I'm healthy, I don't need it. But no something terrible happens, ah, all of a sudden he needs -- who's going to pay for if he goes into a coma for example? Who, who pays for that?
<Paul talks>
What do you want?
<Paul talks>
But he doesn't have that, he doesn't have it and he's, and he needs, he needs intensive care for six months. Who pays?
<Paul talks>
Congressman are, are you saying that society should just let him die?"

and then you heard somebody in the audience say "Yeah.", and then you heard Ron Paul say "No.", and then you heard one or two more people in the audience shout "Yeah!"; and then afterwards you recounted the event like this:

" letting people die in the street is wrong. Acknowledging that some people do not think that is wrong and believe that when people are not able to pull in a living wage it is their own fault and they - and their children - deserve the consequences. (videotaped example: the people who shouted "let them die!" at the GOP debate when the question of what to do with uninsured sick people came up.)"​

Once you add in the stuff you decided to obfuscate and account for passage of time since I had heard it, I'm pretty happy with my memory of that, so, yah. And Paul saying "no" is also prevaricating. What's he say next?

and you can just sit there and blithely thank me for showing your statement to be TRUE?!? Are you so deep in reality avoidance that you sincerely believe somebody in favor of letting an adult die who had the option and chose to bet his life and who lost his bet qualifies as a "videotaped example" of thinking it's not wrong to let children die in the streets because they deserve it because it's their parents' own fault that they are not able to pull in a living wage? Or is it just that once you've written somebody off as evil you really don't give a damn any more whether the things you say about him are true?

Yeah, bomb, you made my point for me. In the hypothetical, the situation is that you have to "take a risk" with your healthcare and these people are happy - CHEERING that a man will die. They cheered on videotape the hypothetical in which a man DIES for not having insurance.

You think this hypothetical means not one of them thinks they'd say the same if that man had children? Bullshit.

It's a horrifying video and no amount of spin from you will change it.

Ha ha cute. But that was in reply to you saying I was following some liberal spin or something, so it was relevant to recount that it was not from some paraphrased version that tried to obscure important info, but that I heard the entire dialogue.
The spin I inferred that you were following is not liberal spin -- there's nothing liberal about lying about your political opponents for the purpose of character assassination. And when I inferred that you had not heard the entire dialogue and were relying on some paraphrased version that tried to obscure important info, I was being charitable to you. I assumed the disinformation you were pushing, you had acquired ignorantly. So it turns out I was wrong. You are an original source of disinformation. You were aware of the facts, and yet you chose not only to obscure important information but to make up embellishments -- alleged details that never happened -- on your own initiative.

Unlike this version of yours, where, for reasons I do not understand, you blotted out Paul's responses. Which were important to the flavor. Including, "He has to take responsibility for his own risks" which was then cheered. Why did you obscure the facts there? They are right in the video that I linked, why did you decide to color that out?
Let me explain to you why I blotted out Paul's responses. Listen carefully. I left out Paul's comments because they are immaterial. They add flavor but no substance. We are not arguing about what Paul said. We are arguing about what you said. You made false and blatantly libelous claims, about what members of the audience said in answer to Wolf Blitzer's question. The circumstance that some third party was also putting in his two cents does not change the fact of what Blitzer asked or the fact of what the audience members answered.

Of course, the things Paul said would make a difference to the examination of your behavior, if the audience members we're actually saying "Yeah" in answer to what Paul said rather than in answer to what Blitzer said. Do you wish to claim that that's what they were doing? If you say yes, that will contradict your own earlier claim. And if that really is what they were doing it makes their response look better, and consequently your own libel against them even more egregious.

Do you have some other reason to consider Paul's views on responsibility relevant? Do they perhaps show that Paul is pond scum? Does the audience cheering him show that the audience are also pond scum? Is their being pond scum relevant to the case against you? I guess it could be seen as relevant to your case, insofar as it gives you an intelligible motive for committing libel: malice. You're just digging yourself in deeper.

Once you add in the stuff you decided to obfuscate and account for passage of time since I had heard it, I'm pretty happy with my memory of that, so, yah.
Which is to say, you simply don't care that you made false damaging claims about your enemies with reckless disregard for the truth. This attitude would account for your entire thread. You likewise have no facts to support the claim that MW employers are mooching; but that doesn't stop you. You can just make something up and allege that it's a fact -- witness "So being needy forces you to takes jobs at places that are exploiting your neediness".

And Paul saying "no" is also prevaricating. What's he say next?
Since Paul isn't the one on trial here, whether he's prevaricating and what he says next are beside the point. He's a politician so let's take it as read that he's probably pond scum. But I'll bite. Which of the meanings of "prevaricate" does Paul saying "no" satisfy?

Yeah, bomb, you made my point for me. In the hypothetical, the situation is that you have to "take a risk" with your healthcare
And, like a habit you can't break, even knowing the spotlight is right on you you just go ahead and misstate the facts yet again. In his hypothetical, Blitzer very specifically laid out that the situation was that the guy did not have to take a risk with his healthcare. But do the facts matter to you? If the hypothetical situation were in fact what you say it is -- if in the hypothetical you had to take the risk -- that would reflect better on you and it would reflect worse on the people you are propagandizing against. Since that's what you say the hypothetical situation is, it appears this matters to you more than the facts do.

and these people are happy - CHEERING that a man will die. They cheered on videotape the hypothetical in which a man DIES for not having insurance.
So the facts of what they actually did are sufficient to show that they're bad, bad, people? Why, then, are you trumping up additional charges against them?

You think this hypothetical means not one of them thinks they'd say the same if that man had children? Bull...
You think reversing the burden of proof clears you? You think you can make an accusation against somebody with no evidence and that's perfectly okay provided he's disgusting and there's no proof that he's innocent? Even if those audience members would say the same if he had children, it wouldn't put you in the right. You didn't claim only that they'd be okay with letting a guy who has children die in the street. You claimed they think it specifically about people who had no choice about being uninsured. You claimed they think such people's children deserve the consequences. You claimed the audience members are a "videotaped example" of this. But they were not videotaped thinking children deserve the consequences. Those guys could be cannibalistic serial killers and what you said still wouldn't be true. You are treating the facts with contempt.

It's a horrifying video and no amount of spin from you will change it.
What spin have I offered? I didn't dispute the video's horrifyingness. Be horrified by whatever you want. This isn't about Ron Paul or the GOP or Obamacare. This is about you. You have a history of playing fast and loose with the facts when the facts being other than what they are would give you a stronger case. So when you claim MW employers are mooching because the facts are such-and-such, why the devil should anyone take you seriously?

You think Paul's comments are immaterial?

The video is horrifying and no amount of spin from you will change that.

This is comedy gold.

Hey Bomb#20 - which is more accurate? Rhea's reference to the conference, or your initial reference to her post?

It's pretty clear what he's trying to do though. Here's the giveaway:

Bomb#20 said:
So when you claim MW employers are mooching because the facts are such-and-such, why the devil should anyone take you seriously?

Being totally unable to refute what's been said on this thread, a smokescreen of outrage is just what the doctor ordered.

This is comedy gold.

Hey Bomb#20 - which is more accurate? Rhea's reference to the conference, or your initial reference to her post?
Well, since what I said was true and what she said was false, mine, obviously. And I see you're still writing "post" in the singular -- still making me out to have been responding to only one post -- which is what you needed to do in order to conjure up a case for a charge against me of inaccuracy.

It's pretty clear what he's trying to do though. Here's the giveaway:

Bomb#20 said:
So when you claim MW employers are mooching because the facts are such-and-such, why the devil should anyone take you seriously?

Being totally unable to refute what's been said on this thread, a smokescreen of outrage is just what the doctor ordered.
That's a pretty spot-on description of what Rhea did in post #165, where she simply reiterated her false accusation against me without offering evidence, instead taking my words out of context for the purpose of misrepresenting the issue in dispute between us. But you have no grounds to impute that sort of approach to me. As far as I can see from our exchange, I have refuted every single thing you've said to me in support of the moocher hypothesis, up through post #98, which is how backlogged I am. I'm working my way through #153; but it's clear that you have more bandwidth to devote to this forum than I do -- there are many outside demands on my time -- so you will undoubtedly be able to continue posting wrong stuff faster than I will be able to explain why it's wrong, for as long as you care to keep it up. If you intend to use the sheer volume of not-yet-refuted material as an excuse to claim I'm totally unable to refute what's been said, no one will stop you, but that won't make it true.

I had intended to wait to post until I was caught up. But you're giving me attitude, so I suppose I'd better post what I've got so far and let the discussion go ahead and fragment if you decide not to wait for the rest before answering. Here's Part 1:

Just because it's a fact that somebody values something such and such an amount doesn't stop it from being a value judgment.

No, but it does stop Rhea's argument from resting on a value judgement. Her argument rests on the fact that society demands a certain standard of living. That this is a value judgement on society's part doesn't make it any less of a fact (not value judgement) that the demand is made.

You claim (or, perhaps, you claim Rhea claims) employers (by which you presumably mean specifically those paying MW) can not make a profit without actively contributing to starvation and maimed children.

I don't think I am.

It's what you wrote in post #51:
The point of all these false claims and invalid arguments, plainly, is to pretend a world where we are not surrounded by starving people and maimed children is something employers require, rather than simply something we've decided we want.

No, the point is that employers can not make a profit without actively contributing to starvation and maimed children.

If you're no longer claiming that, then we can close this subtopic.

Are you sure you've understood Rhea's arguement?
Of course it's possible that I haven't understood Rhea's argument. If you want to make another attempt to explain why there's some sense in it, go for it.

but it will still be a fact that does not imply the conclusion it was offered in support of.
If that's true, you should be able to demonstrate that the arguement doesn't follow. You've not attempted to do so.
On which planet? What the bejesus do you think pointing out that a change of values on the part of society has no power to magically cause MW employment to actively contribute to starvation and maimed children is, if you think it isn't an attempt to demonstrate that the argument doesn't follow?

...they're creating a negative externality. Do they do this via a physical mechanism, or via magic?

I argued that they were creating a negative externality by consuming labour. Businesses buy labour and use it. While they are using it, other people can't. So it's a limited resource that is no longer on the market. In return they pay money. If they pay a lot of money, then the situation creates a net positive externality. There must be a certain price below which consuming a limited resource creates a net negative externality.
I.e., by magic. These "other people" who can't use it that you refer to -- would they in point of fact actually use it, if the MW business didn't buy the labor? If they wouldn't have bought the labor anyway, then they clearly suffer no negative externality. But if they would buy it, how much would they pay for it?

Would they pay less than the MW business you claim creates a net negative externality? No, if the employee in question weren't employed by that business, the other people couldn't hire him for less than MW; that's what "minimum" means. The limited resource is already off the market for less than MW; therefore the MW employment doesn't cause it to be no longer on the market.

So would they pay the same or more? If the other people would pay that, then even though the employee has a MW job he can quit and go work for them. So his MW employment isn't stopping them from buying the labor. They can make him an offer and he can accept it, i.e. it's still on the market. So you haven't exhibited a negative externality from the MW employment.

The intuition that there must be a certain price below which consuming a limited resource creates a net negative externality comes from experience with commodities like oil, which will still be there in the ground for future use if we decide not to sell cheap when that's all the market will bear. If we sell oil cheap enough it will be less than the opportunity cost, where the opportunity we're giving up is the opportunity to save the oil against the day when someone will value it more than anyone does at present. Those hypothetical future users of the oil will bear a cost from our short-sighted decision to sell cheap. But that intuition isn't correct for labor, because when labor goes unsold it's gone, the same as when it's consumed.

My math is based on the fact that the business is claiming all of the labour of an individual, but not meeting off all his costs.
No, they aren't claiming it. You appear to be using "claim" in some sense other than its normal meaning in English;

While it is being used by employer A, it is not available for use by employer B. In order for employer B to use it, employer A must stop using it.

I don't understand the source of the confusion.
You say that as though "stop using it" were an act on the part of employer A, and she can prevent employer B from using the labor by simply neglecting to perform this act the rest of us are depending on her to do in order for the labor to be redeployed. But in order for employer B to use it, all that needs to happen is the employee must show up for work at B's premises instead of A's. Employer A isn't stopping employer B from using the labor; the employee does that.

There is nothing arbitrary about the "Would output Q still happen if input P were not present?" start point.

Sure there is. You're assuming unemployment as a default state for someone actively participating in the labour market.
Well, it is the default state, for everyone, actively participating or not. People aren't born with jobs.

Which means that as soon as you start considering any kind of displacement effect, whereby employment at one job reduces availability to be employed elsewhere, the argument falls apart.
Does it really? Let's try it out...

Cost of unemployed person to society = Z (not starving, desperate or creating other externalities)
Cost of person employed elsewhere to society = W (not starving, desperate or creating other externalities)
Cost of employee to society = X (not starving, desperate or creating other externalities)
Cost of employee to business = Y
Cost of employment to business = Y
Cost of employment to society = if he'd be employed elsewhere then X - W else X - Z.

When X < Z AND X < W, regardless of Y the business is still providing a positive externality to society, to the tune of (Z - X) or (W - X). So in order for the argument to fall apart if employment were the default state, W would have to be less than X. I.e., the employee would have to be less starving, less desperate and less creating negative externalities at the hypothetical employer B. Can you explain why he'd be less starving and desperate at employer B? Consider the possible cases. Would employer B pay him better than MW? If so, why is the employee choosing to work for employer A? Either employer A is somehow nonetheless doing a better job of relieving his desperation and keeping him from starving -- and that would be a positive externality from his MW employment -- or else he simply likes the job at employer A better. And if he's in a position to prioritize job satisfaction and enjoyment over pay, then he's not starving and desperate.

So much for the case of employer B paying better. That leaves the case of employer B not paying better. The employee is starving and desperate even though he has a MW job at employer A and even though he'd be employed by employer B if he didn't have his current job; but employer B is just another MW employer like employer A. So in this case the opportunity cost of MW employment is just some other MW employment. But according to your theory, MW employment causes a negative externality. So by hiring the guy who'd be employed elsewhere, employer A is eliminating the negative externality caused by employer B. That would be a positive externality on employer A's part, cancelling out the negative externality you argue he causes by employing the guy himself.

So no, in neither case does the argument that MW employment causes a positive externality break down when we consider the displacement effect. All you can ever get out of assuming employment is the default when considering displacement is a reduction in the magnitude of the positive externality. Moreover, the displacement effect cuts both ways. If the employee would in fact otherwise be employed by employer B, then employer A hiring him is likely to open up a job at employer B. That's either a job for an otherwise unemployed person, or else a job for a person who would be otherwise employed at employer C, who will now have an opening, and so forth, until the chain terminates with a job for an otherwise unemployed person. So the positive externality is likely to be the full (Z - X) anyway.

But potential employees are a cost to society, and employing them at MW usually causes that cost to go down.
Only if you value the labour consumed at zero. Hence 'treating employment as charity'. Employment gains the society money and loses society his labour.
How did you infer that? You're the one who defined people's cost to society like this: "Cost of employee to society = X (not starving, desperate or creating other externalities)". How on earth is X affected in the slightest by how much you or I value the labor consumed? Sure, you can always think up an accounting procedure that declares the guy's labor to have a "value" of ten pounds, or a hundred if you prefer; and you can always claim society has "lost" that many pounds as a result of the guy working for MW. But that's just numbers in the ledger of your imagination. It doesn't mean he'd have been ten pounds less starving and less desperate without the job, nor does it mean society would have actually received those ten-pounds-worth of his labor if only he didn't have the MW job. Your accounting procedure has no magical power to value into existence some person willing to pay ten pounds in return for an hour of the guy's labor.

But such an economy doesn't work, because there is no other income source other than employment to meet costs. All costs to society ultimately have to be met by someone, and taken simply, that someone is always an employer or business of some kind.
And? We aren't starving; the economy keeps growing;

All that means is that MW work is a sufficiently small slice of the economy that we can afford to subsidse it.
No, all that means is that your claim that such an economy doesn't work was incorrect, and therefore the argument you used that claim as a step in was an unsound argument. Whether MW work constitutes subsidized work is the point in dispute -- you are still assuming your conclusion as a premise.

To be continued...

Bomb#20 said:
Cost of unemployed person to society = Z (not starving, desperate or creating other externalities)
Cost of person employed elsewhere to society = W (not starving, desperate or creating other externalities)
Cost of employee to society = X (not starving, desperate or creating other externalities)
Cost of employment to society = if he'd be employed elsewhere then X - W else X - Z.

When X < Z AND X < W, regardless of Y the business is still providing a positive externality to society, to the tune of (Z - X) or (W - X). So in order for the argument to fall apart if employment were the default state, W would have to be less than X. I.e., the employee would have to be less starving, less desperate and less creating negative externalities at the hypothetical employer B. Can you explain why he'd be less starving and desperate at employer B? Consider the possible cases. Would employer B pay him better than MW? If so, why is the employee choosing to work for employer A?
He isn't choosing.

Rather, employer A precludes employer B because, barring zero unemployment, A can replace the employee at the lower wage using welfare to undercut B.

As Winston Churchill put it : Without a minimum wage, the good employer is undercut by the bad, and the bad by the worst.

I really do believe quite a few businesses would pay their employees more but because of competitive pressure from businesses that don't give a shit they can't and remain in business.

But now that I think about that businesses like Costco show that it is possible to pay your employees well and still succeed against companies that are in a race to the bottom of the wage barrel.

Bomb#20 said:

When X < Z AND X < W, regardless of Y the business is still providing a positive externality to society, to the tune of (Z - X) or (W - X). So in order for the argument to fall apart if employment were the default state, W would have to be less than X. I.e., the employee would have to be less starving, less desperate and less creating negative externalities at the hypothetical employer B. Can you explain why he'd be less starving and desperate at employer B? Consider the possible cases. Would employer B pay him better than MW? If so, why is the employee choosing to work for employer A?
He isn't choosing.

Rather, employer A precludes employer B because, barring zero unemployment, A can replace the employee at the lower wage using welfare to undercut B.

As Winston Churchill put it : Without a minimum wage, the good employer is undercut by the bad, and the bad by the worst.

In areas with a high cost of living/scarcity of labor situation you see a market clearing price above minimum wage. In such an environment minimum wage has *NO* effect. Where's the undercutting???

You only get the undercutting when there is a surplus of labor.

Bomb#20 said:
So in order for the argument to fall apart if employment were the default state, W would have to be less than X. I.e., the employee would have to be less starving, less desperate and less creating negative externalities at the hypothetical employer B. Can you explain why he'd be less starving and desperate at employer B? Consider the possible cases. Would employer B pay him better than MW? If so, why is the employee choosing to work for employer A?
He isn't choosing.

So you're saying when employer A employs the guy for 6 pounds an hour, this prevents employer B from hiring him away for 7 pounds an hour, by preventing employer B from being able to afford to pay 7 pounds an hour, by preventing people from buying employer B's product at the price he would have to charge, by giving customers the option of buying the product for the lower price that his 6 pound wage scale lets him charge, and they take that option, and he would be able to go right on charging that low price even if employer B hired the employee away, because he'd hire some unemployed guy for 6 pounds an hour? Am I following your argument correctly?

In that scenario, if employer A did not employ the guy in question, then, by your supposition, he would instead employ some currently unemployed guy for 6 pounds an hour, and this would let him keep charging low prices, and this would keep employer B from offering 7 pounds an hour. Therefore the condition of the present case in my case-by-case analysis -- this is the case where we consider what happens if the employee would be employed by employer B for higher pay -- is not satisfied. Therefore your scenario does not come under the present case. You're considering it under the wrong case. We have to examine your scenario in relation to whichever case it would satisfy the conditions of. You do understand the concept of a case-by-case analysis, don't you? When somebody argues,

There are three possible cases, P, Q and R.
If P is the case, then here's why S follows.
If Q is the case, then here's why S follows.
If R is the case, then here's why S follows.
Therefore, S.​

a counterargument that amounts to "Case P wouldn't happen" is not a refutation.

Since you say employer B would not hire the guy for more if he weren't working for employer A at 6 pounds an hour, what would happen instead? Would employer B hire him for 6 pounds an hour? Would employer B hire him for less? Would the guy be unemployed? When you pick one, we'll know which case to examine it under.

Meh, so am I.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as I can see from our exchange, I have refuted every single thing you've said to me in support of the moocher hypothesis, up through post #98, which is how backlogged I am. I'm working my way through #153; but it's clear that you have more bandwidth to devote to this forum than I do -- there are many outside demands on my time -- so you will undoubtedly be able to continue posting wrong stuff faster than I will be able to explain why it's wrong, for as long as you care to keep it up. If you intend to use the sheer volume of not-yet-refuted material as an excuse to claim I'm totally unable to refute what's been said, no one will stop you, but that won't make it true.

I had intended to wait to post until I was caught up. But you're giving me attitude,

Well yeah. You've abandoned talking about the issues in favour of a series of personal accusations against Rhea, and to a lesser extent, myself (you seem to lump us together). You've written a very large amount on the subject, and arguing directly that discussing the issues is unecessary because of the personal character of the people you disagree with.

What other response can I give you?

I'm not willing to devote time to replying to your detailed post by post analysis of Rhea's posts. What she said was broadly accurate. You've seized upon the details as somehow indicating she's part of a conspiracy to slander the GOP. If you want argue through sheer volume, noone is going to stop you.

But am I going to make the point that all this is detracting from the actual subject of the thread? You bet I am.

Incidently, you've got turned around on the posting history. #98 was a reply to Rhea, not me, which you later confirmed in #117. You've also been posting replies to me in the 140-170 area.

There's no need to reply to every detail. I certainly don't. But if you argue that the details don't matter because of the people involved, then yes, I'm going to call you on it.

You claim (or, perhaps, you claim Rhea claims) employers (by which you presumably mean specifically those paying MW) can not make a profit without actively contributing to starvation and maimed children.

I don't think I am.

It's what you wrote in post #51:
The point of all these false claims and invalid arguments, plainly, is to pretend a world where we are not surrounded by starving people and maimed children is something employers require, rather than simply something we've decided we want.

No, the point is that employers can not make a profit without actively contributing to starvation and maimed children.

If you're no longer claiming that, then we can close this subtopic.

Oh, ok, there's a typo there. 'Without' should be 'whilst'. The rest of the paragraph should now make much more sense. By all means close that subtopic, as I never considered it relevent.

but it will still be a fact that does not imply the conclusion it was offered in support of.
If that's true, you should be able to demonstrate that the arguement doesn't follow. You've not attempted to do so.
On which planet? What the bejesus do you think pointing out that a change of values on the part of society has no power to magically cause MW employment to actively contribute to starvation and maimed children is, if you think it isn't an attempt to demonstrate that the argument doesn't follow?

Technically, a strawman arguement. Hence your use of 'magically' in place of the actual arguement, and your reference to 'actively contributing to starvation' which you labelled as a subtopic, above.

The arguement is fairly straightforward. There is a certain standard which people need to be maintained at. This can only be paid for by people selling their labour. If the labour is sold for less than the amount required, the shortfall needs to be made up somehow. Thus any employer paying less than the minimum amount required is in a situation where the labour is being sold too cheaply, and the difference is paid for by transferring cash from situations where labour is being sold for more.

To take a more specific example, Wallmart is paying some of it's employees below minimum wage, and so those employees have to be paid additional amounts by the taxpayer.

This transfer of wealth, via taxation, from well-paying businesses to Wallmart, is economically undesirable, because it makes those well-paying businesses less competitive.

[
...they're creating a negative externality. Do they do this via a physical mechanism, or via magic?

I argued that they were creating a negative externality by consuming labour. Businesses buy labour and use it. While they are using it, other people can't. So it's a limited resource that is no longer on the market. In return they pay money. If they pay a lot of money, then the situation creates a net positive externality. There must be a certain price below which consuming a limited resource creates a net negative externality.
I.e., by magic. These "other people" who can't use it that you refer to -- would they in point of fact actually use it, if the MW business didn't buy the labor?

Yes. That's what the term 'labour market' implies. That employers are competing for labour. If you want to argue that noone else would employ these people, then we're dealing with a monopoly employer, and the entire idea of a market rate for labour goes out the window.

No, if the employee in question weren't employed by that business, the other people couldn't hire him for less than MW; that's what "minimum" means.

But they can't hire him by paying more than Wallmart either. They'd have to pay more than Wallmart and the taxpayer, combined. Otherwise the employee is receiving more by staying where he is.

The limited resource is already off the market for less than MW; therefore the MW employment doesn't cause it to be no longer on the market.

So would they pay the same or more? If the other people would pay that, then even though the employee has a MW job he can quit and go work for them. So his MW employment isn't stopping them from buying the labor. They can make him an offer and he can accept it, i.e. it's still on the market. So you haven't exhibited a negative externality from the MW employment.

Sure I have. It's still being consumed. When I buy coal for a power station someone could, in theory, buy it from me, so you could argue that it's still on the market. However, I'm burning the coal. Which means you can't have it. Call it an opportunity cost.

Maybe it's the phrase 'net externality' you're objecting to? The point I'm making is that consuming a resource for less than it's unit cost is undesirable, becasue ultimately the difference has to be made up some how.

But that intuition isn't correct for labor, because when labor goes unsold it's gone, the same as when it's consumed.
But this is the bit we're disagreeing on. You're assuming a monopoly employer, where the alternative to selling labour at Price X is not to sell at all, where the alternative to working for less than minimum wage is not to work at all. If we're talking about wages being set by the market, then this is explicitly not the case.

Bomb#20 said:
My math is based on the fact that the business is claiming all of the labour of an individual, but not meeting off all his costs.
No, they aren't claiming it. You appear to be using "claim" in some sense other than its normal meaning in English;

While it is being used by employer A, it is not available for use by employer B. In order for employer B to use it, employer A must stop using it.

I don't understand the source of the confusion.
You say that as though "stop using it" were an act on the part of employer A, and she can prevent employer B from using the labor by simply neglecting to perform this act the rest of us are depending on her to do in order for the labor to be redeployed. But in order for employer B to use it, all that needs to happen is the employee must show up for work at B's premises instead of A's. Employer A isn't stopping employer B from using the labor; the employee does that.

Why would that matter? As before, I don't care who the actors are, just the outcome.

There is nothing arbitrary about the "Would output Q still happen if input P were not present?" start point.

Sure there is. You're assuming unemployment as a default state for someone actively participating in the labour market.
Well, it is the default state, for everyone, actively participating or not. People aren't born with jobs.
Which means that as soon as you start considering any kind of displacement effect, whereby employment at one job reduces availability to be employed elsewhere, the argument falls apart.
Does it really? Let's try it out...

When X < Z AND X < W, regardless of Y the business is still providing a positive externality to society, to the tune of (Z - X) or (W - X). So in order for the argument to fall apart if employment were the default state, W would have to be less than X. I.e., the employee would have to be less starving, less desperate and less creating negative externalities at the hypothetical employer B.

Your conclusion doesn't match your maths. The letters you've defined are in terms of cost to society, but you're blurring employee welfare and societal benefit in your conclusion. Take the example of where employer A has their wages supplemented by welfare payments, as in the OP. The employee may be better off under employer A but the benefit to society may be greater overall with employer B.

Can you explain why he'd be less starving and desperate at employer B? Consider the possible cases. Would employer B pay him better than MW? If so, why is the employee choosing to work for employer A?

Because in working for employer A he gets both wage and unemployment benefit. It makes him better off economically, even if employer B is offering a high headline wage.

This is how a large employer combining welfare payments with low wages can gain a benefit from it in their competition with other employers for the same employees. They can pay less, and still retain employees, because their employees are also getting welfare. I appreciate you have objections to calling this a subsidy, but from a competition point of view, it has a very similar effect.

Or maybe there is a capital cost involving from one job to the other, and the employee doesn't have the capital. Job markets rarely experience perfect competition.

But according to your theory, MW employment causes a negative externality.

Nope. According to my theory, (full-time) employment that falls short of meeting the employee's costs such that he needs money from other sources is a negative externality to society - because society needs to provide that extra cash.

All you can ever get out of assuming employment is the default when considering displacement is a reduction in the magnitude of the positive externality. Moreover, the displacement effect cuts both ways. If the employee would in fact otherwise be employed by employer B, then employer A hiring him is likely to open up a job at employer B. That's either a job for an otherwise unemployed person, or else a job for a person who would be otherwise employed at employer C, who will now have an opening, and so forth, until the chain terminates with a job for an otherwise unemployed person. So the positive externality is likely to be the full (Z - X) anyway.

Growth - in which the job is new and never existed before, would have that effect yes. However, when a Wallmart comes to town, employment usually goes down not up. An employer's job does not emerge from the butt of a magic pixie, it has to be based on some kind of need. In any other case than economic growth, the job comes at the expense of something else.

Sure, you can always think up an accounting procedure that declares the guy's labor to have a "value" of ten pounds, or a hundred if you prefer; and you can always claim society has "lost" that many pounds as a result of the guy working for MW. But that's just numbers in the ledger of your imagination. It doesn't mean he'd have been ten pounds less starving and less desperate without the job, nor does it mean society would have actually received those ten-pounds-worth of his labor if only he didn't have the MW job. Your accounting procedure has no magical power to value into existence some person willing to pay ten pounds in return for an hour of the guy's labor.

Nor do I need to. The point we're discussing is how best to arrange the rules by which society works. Since selling labour for less than it costs to maintain the worker providing it isn't going to work in the long run, we need to discourage such practice. Minimum wage is one way to do that.

But such an economy doesn't work, because there is no other income source other than employment to meet costs. All costs to society ultimately have to be met by someone, and taken simply, that someone is always an employer or business of some kind.
And? We aren't starving; the economy keeps growing;
All that means is that MW work is a sufficiently small slice of the economy that we can afford to subsidse it.
No, all that means is that your claim that such an economy doesn't work was incorrect, and therefore the argument you used that claim as a step in was an unsound argument. Whether MW work constitutes subsidized work is the point in dispute -- you are still assuming your conclusion as a premise.

To be continued...

It acts like a subsidy, in distorting the labour market. It acts like subsidy in that it transfers wealth from one sector of the economy to another via taxation. And it acts like a subsidy in that it has the effect of stopping wages rising to a more natural level. I realise you don't want to call it a subsidy, but that's the effect it has.

Subsidies don't instantly kill an economy as you're suggesting - the US has some of the highest subsidies in the world through its defence budget, and there's no obvious problem with subsidising the eldery or those too sick or disabled to work. But subsidies are expensive, and driving wages below the level of welfare seems like an odd thing to want to subsidise.

Bomb#20 said:
So in order for the argument to fall apart if employment were the default state, W would have to be less than X. I.e., the employee would have to be less starving, less desperate and less creating negative externalities at the hypothetical employer B. Can you explain why he'd be less starving and desperate at employer B? Consider the possible cases. Would employer B pay him better than MW? If so, why is the employee choosing to work for employer A?
He isn't choosing.

So you're saying when employer A employs the guy for 6 pounds an hour, this prevents employer B from hiring him away for 7 pounds an hour, by preventing employer B from being able to afford to pay 7 pounds an hour, by preventing people from buying employer B's product at the price he would have to charge, by giving customers the option of buying the product for the lower price that his 6 pound wage scale lets him charge, and they take that option, and he would be able to go right on charging that low price even if employer B hired the employee away, because he'd hire some unemployed guy for 6 pounds an hour? Am I following your argument correctly?

In that scenario, if employer A did not employ the guy in question, then, by your supposition, he would instead employ some currently unemployed guy for 6 pounds an hour, and this would let him keep charging low prices, and this would keep employer B from offering 7 pounds an hour. Therefore the condition of the present case in my case-by-case analysis -- this is the case where we consider what happens if the employee would be employed by employer B for higher pay -- is not satisfied. Therefore your scenario does not come under the present case. You're considering it under the wrong case. We have to examine your scenario in relation to whichever case it would satisfy the conditions of. You do understand the concept of a case-by-case analysis, don't you? When somebody argues,

There are three possible cases, P, Q and R.
If P is the case, then here's why S follows.
If Q is the case, then here's why S follows.
If R is the case, then here's why S follows.
Therefore, S.​

a counterargument that amounts to "Case P wouldn't happen" is not a refutation.

Since you say employer B would not hire the guy for more if he weren't working for employer A at 6 pounds an hour, what would happen instead? Would employer B hire him for 6 pounds an hour? Would employer B hire him for less? Would the guy be unemployed? When you pick one, we'll know which case to examine it under.
Fine. I thought you were addressing the question of "any kind of displacement effect, whereby employment at one job reduces availability to be employed elsewhere." I'm happy to let my comment stand in isolation from whatever kind of discussion you want to have about P,Q and R.

Fine. I thought you were addressing the question of "any kind of displacement effect, whereby employment at one job reduces availability to be employed elsewhere."
I was addressing that question -- specifically with regard to Togo's claim that paying MW causes net negative externalities.

I'm happy to let my comment stand in isolation from whatever kind of discussion you want to have about P,Q and R.

There's a perfectly good "Minimum Rage" thread for that sort of comment, so what are you posting it here for? Who's arguing against a minimum wage in this thread? This thread is about the question of whether paying minimum wage is mooching.

Back
Top Bottom