• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Could You Do This Today?

Trausti

Deleted
Before SNL went full lefty propaganda, it had some funny skits. We could debate what era was actually funny - the first cast or the Phil Hartman period - but I'm interested in how crimestop has infected comedy; made "comedy" preachy and boring. Could Chris Kattan be gay Hitler today? Or would he be cancelled? Could Aqua Teen Hunger Force be produced today?

E5YYL9jVoAA7QkN

Shake_Like_Me.png

Do it where?

Have a skit for you and your little friends?

Of course.

On the public airways as a corporation with customers of all races and orientations?

Probably not a good idea.

Things seeming real funny has a lot to do with what age you saw it at.

Kattan was not all that funny to me.

I bet Trausti is confused why no comedians are doing blackface anymore either.

Too bad John Belushi isn't around to parody Herman Cain.
Could be more fun than Tina Fey parodying whatshername.
Tom

annnd...woosh

The depth of your insight is an inspiration to us all.
Tom

Thank you. But it's not insight - just an appreciation of the word "context". What's funny now wasn't necessarily funny then and vice versa. It's not exactly a radical concept but it is something right wingers have difficulty understanding. Which explains why people like Steven Crowder, Dennis Miller and Greg Gutfeld are considered "comedians" by the right.

It is true that it is difficult to imagine the words "Jane you ignorant slut" being part of the current SNL repertoire, and not because Jane Curtain is no longer a cast member.

But then, it wasn't funny in the late '70's-early '80's either. I stopped watching for a while, although I really liked Jane Curtain and Gilda Radner a lot.

I remember Michael Palin was asked if he felt some of the jokes they did for Monty Python could be done in "today's climate" (the interview was during the late 90s).

His response was, "I don't think so because the jokes are over 20 years old and everybody knows them. You have to be original to be a comedian."

It is true that it is difficult to imagine the words "Jane you ignorant slut" being part of the current SNL repertoire, and not because Jane Curtain is no longer a cast member.

But then, it wasn't funny in the late '70's-early '80's either. I stopped watching for a while, although I really liked Jane Curtain and Gilda Radner a lot.

That was a very funny joke.

And it could easily be done today since really the blow hard misogynist Aykroyd character was the butt of the joke.

And it could easily be done today since really the blow hard misogynist Aykroyd character was the butt of the joke.

Oh, dear. Unter gonna get cancelled.

It wasn't, though. It was nasty, arrogant, lazy.

Listening to it, it felt as though my face was being slapped, every single time. Oh, sure I got what the joke was supposed to be but it wasn't funny. It was mean, nasty, arrogant, lazy.

I quit watching for a while because of exactly that.

It wasn't, though. It was nasty, arrogant, lazy.

Listening to it, it felt as though my face was being slapped, every single time. Oh, sure I got what the joke was supposed to be but it wasn't funny. It was mean, nasty, arrogant, lazy.

I quit watching for a while because of exactly that.

That was the idea of the joke.

It was all about the shock value.

It was totally unexpected. It was a very funny joke.

But Aykroid was the butt of the joke. Not Curtain.

My take: I am totally on board with humor that assaults. Patton Oswalt, Jim Norton, National Lampoon in its prime, and Jane You Ignorant Slut. It's HUMOR. It's supposed to distort reality and point up absurdity. Anyone who has a cow over it, well, get yourself some Bob Newhart LPs or dig up your copy of The Arrow Book of Jokes and Riddles, from grade school. (I do like Newhart, but when I feel like comedy that bristles, that's when more modern stuff is needed.)

Norton plays Don Rickles in the new movie on Amazon about one night in Miami.

Rickles was all about shock and saying things you weren't supposed to say.

Back
Top Bottom