• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Stupid, selfish people protesting their right to spread sickness and death to others.

What utter claptrap. You have zero evidence that any participant at this event has any sickness of any kind. You have no clue.

That is a truly stupid "rebuttal". You really are lost on the point.
Yeah, you said protesting -the right to- spread it, not predicting that it will spread in this protest.
But what are the odds against that?
Are all the protedters all going to mask and practice social distancing?
Have they all BEEN masked/vaxed/distant, up to now?
Are NONE of them knowingly positive but going, anyway? This is the demographic that would almost least surprise me of socializing while infectious.
So, the truth of this is that some of the people there will win Hermen Cain awards.

The evidence is the widespread winning of Herman Cain awards that result from such events on a regular and now predictable basis.

Stupid, selfish people protesting their right to spread sickness and death to others.

What utter claptrap. You have zero evidence that any participant at this event has any sickness of any kind. You have no clue.

That is a truly stupid "rebuttal". You really are lost on the point.
Yeah, you said protesting -the right to- spread it, not predicting that it will spread in this protest.
But what are the odds against that?
Are all the protedters all going to mask and practice social distancing?
Have they all BEEN masked/vaxed/distant, up to now?
Are NONE of them knowingly positive but going, anyway? This is the demographic that would almost least surprise me of socializing while infectious.
So, the truth of this is that some of the people there will win Hermen Cain awards.

The evidence is the widespread winning of Herman Cain awards that result from such events on a regular and now predictable basis.

Every time i surf the news sites, there's a story about someone who has expressed anger about some response to C19 (govt, shops, schools, airlines, god, Obama, Biden) has a friend or family member posting for them on the facebook account...on account of a death.

That may well be the case. Or it may not. Natural immunity from Wuhan gives some protection vs. Delta - particularly against serious illness and death -, so it may well be that natural immunity from Delta also provides protection vs. Wuhan. And a question is how different Omicron is (though that's the long route; a close cousin of Delta - so to speak - might be more similar to it than to it's long-distant ancestor, but I'm leaving that option aside). It has plenty of Spike mutations, but natural immunity can have plenty of targets, not just the spike. So, who knows? We'll have to wait and see I think.

The reason there is so much attention focused on the spike is because it's a distinctive feature that is much less variable than the rest of the virus. (Because most mutations to the spike produce a non-functional result.) Resistance based on any other component of the virus is much less likely to carry over to a variant. (Which is why we haven't had vaccines against coronaviruses before--without being able to select out the reasonably stable bit they just don't work very well.)

Got my booster shot.
Thry took my old vaccination card. I laminated it, because i wasn't sure how often i'd be showing it, or under what conditions, what sort of wear.
Apparently the CDC directs taking that card and rewriting a whole new one with all the original information.

I wonder if thst's for clarity, continuity, or to minimize the number of 'got jabbed' proofs out there to limit chicanery.

I figured laminating was a bad idea because boosters were likely. Mine couldn't really be recopied, anyway--my Pfizer shots were done with stickers rather than writing. (But it didn't work too well--my booster ended up in the 4th slot because the stickers were too big, the third slot is unusable.)

Anti lockdown protests occurring in Europe. 40,000+ take to the streets in Vienna

More than 40,000 people marched through Vienna on Saturday to protest against a lockdown and plans to make vaccinations compulsory to curb the coronavirus pandemic.

News

I'm not finding data for Austria, the closest data I'm finding is Germany--and the lowest numbers I'm finding are 50 per 100,000. 40,000 marchers, that would imply an average of 20 are sick. The odds of it actually being zero are minuscule. Thus there were plague rats in that crowd.

That may well be the case. Or it may not. Natural immunity from Wuhan gives some protection vs. Delta - particularly against serious illness and death -, so it may well be that natural immunity from Delta also provides protection vs. Wuhan. And a question is how different Omicron is (though that's the long route; a close cousin of Delta - so to speak - might be more similar to it than to it's long-distant ancestor, but I'm leaving that option aside). It has plenty of Spike mutations, but natural immunity can have plenty of targets, not just the spike. So, who knows? We'll have to wait and see I think.

The reason there is so much attention focused on the spike is because it's a distinctive feature that is much less variable than the rest of the virus. (Because most mutations to the spike produce a non-functional result.) Resistance based on any other component of the virus is much less likely to carry over to a variant. (Which is why we haven't had vaccines against coronaviruses before--without being able to select out the reasonably stable bit they just don't work very well.)
I do not have the expertise to assess the details of these matter, but for example what I found on Wikipedia is the following:

At least nine different technology platforms are under research and development to create an effective vaccine against COVID‑19.[26][47] Most of the platforms of vaccine candidates in clinical trials are focused on the coronavirus spike protein (S protein) and its variants as the primary antigen of COVID‑19 infection,[26] since the S protein triggers strong B-cell and T-cell immune responses.[48][49] However, other coronavirus proteins are also being investigated for vaccine development, like the nucleocapsid, because they also induce a robust T-cell response and their genes are more conserved and recombine less frequently (compared to Spike).[49][50][51]
Assuming the above is correct, it appears that at least some parts of the virus are more stable. What if natural immunity targets that part of the virus, among others?

But generally, my point is this: even if vaccine-induced immunity turns out to be better against Omicron that Delta-induced immunity, it is far to early to rule out that the latter will work too, even if to a lesser extent. Maybe it will not prevent infection, but will prevent most cases of serious illness and death. It's too early to say it won't work.

========================================================================
STAFF WARNING: Address the argument, not the poster.
========================================================================

Ad hominem posts derail from discussion. Please avoid it as you would the plague.
Oh. Wait.
Please avoid so that you will not get an infraction and lose your access to the forum for a cool-down period.

An ad hominem argument is a post that does not address the topic, but rather attacks the poster; their person, their personality, their habits, their intelligence. Check your post before you press “submit.” If it is a comment about or an attack on the person directly, please click “cancel,” instead.

Vaccine situation in Thailand may be amusing. The government offers two brands: Sinovac and AstraZeneca. (The AstraZ is made in Thailand under license, by a company 99.999% owned by an illustrious person.) The U.S. has provided millions of doses of Pfizer, on condition that some of them be given to foreigners. Those three brands of vaccine are all free.

Sinopharm (similar to Sinovac) and Moderna can be ordered from private hospitals. You have to pay in advance (about $120 for two jabs) and then wait. And wait and wait, if you're on the Moderna queue. We paid for 6 jabs of Moderna many months ago, but it's still not here. We've all had 2 jabs already, so the already-paid-for Moderna will be our booster jabs. If it does finally arrive.

Most of the people were getting two Sinovac jabs. (The AstraZ was in short supply, partly because they'd contracted to sell to Philippines.) But the Sinovac developed a bad reputation as ineffective; so people have mostly gotten Sinovac for the 1st jab and AstraZ for the 2nd jab. Recently a Deputy Prime Minister with those two jabs traveled to another country but was denied entry. I'm not sure whether they needed two jabs that were the same brand, or whether the Sinovac is just unacceptable period, or (most likely) both. So he got another AstraZ jab and was admitted.

Getting on the queues for the better jabs is difficult. Sometimes people pound on their smart-phone buttons repeatedly (like a DoS attack), trying to break through a clog of other applicants. I was lucky to get on queue for two free Pfizer jabs in Bangkok. (I am old and have cardio problem, either of which would have qualified me.) The venue for the jabbing was the huge 4th floor of one of the city's large malls, operated by Bangkok's largest private hospital, with several dozens of workers. Only about three of the workers were jabbing; the rest were ushering or doing clerical work. It went smoothly (except for a treacherous thrill-ride on the BKK expressway), and after the 2nd jab I took the elevator down to the car with a "certificate" in hand. But my brain isn't what it used to be (and probably never was), and when the certificate was examined it lacked the most obvious needs, including my passport number, or any signature. It was my daughter who caught this. (She wasn't even there, but someone photoed the certificate and messaged it to her.) I went back up the elevator and got the certificate filled out better. (But aren't passport numbers always written with country name? No "USA" for me.) Since there was a huge amount of clerical bother and many minutes spent pushing on computer buttons in the process; and since this was the special Pfizer from U.S.A. with many foreigners getting jabbed, I was rather astounded that the 1 or 2 clerks in charge of giving out the certificates at the end of the process didn't even know what they were doing.

And the "certificate" I got is NOT the "vaccine passport" I would need to get on an airplane. Maybe I can go to the airport several hours early and get my certificate converted into the necessary, but I'll worry about that if/when I want to leave the Kingdom.

Providing some clues about whether people protesting lockdowns might be harboring virus: the data suggests it is probable. This is more than zero evidence.

Pro-Trump counties now have far higher COVID death rates. Misinformation is to blame (link)​

View attachment 36272

That’s a lot of data pointing towards one conclusion.
And the fucked up part is that the misinformation is coming from the republican party. It's a stupid exercise in autoeugenics. Emphasis on the STUPID.

anti lockdown protests in Belgium turn into a riot;

The crowd was heard chanting "Freedom! Freedom!" and held placards which read "everyday fascism" emblazoned with yellow stars as they marched towards to EU's headquarters. The demonstration turned violent when 100 rioters threw rubbish and other objects, including a bicycle and fire crackers, at police.

The Sun

Avowed fascists caused violence?
Thanks for the heads up.

I think the message is that it's ok to protest for the right to sicken and kill people but it's not ok to protest for equal protection of the law and justice.

Most big employers say they are requiring COVID-19 vaccinations for workers - CBS News
Most large U.S. employers say they now require, or plan to mandate, that their workers get vaccinated against COVID-19, according to a new survey of more than 500 companies by corporate advisory firm Willis Towers Watson.

The survey comes as the Biden administration's new rule about workplace vaccinations remains in limbo. Under the regulation, companies with 100 or more employees must require workers to get vaccinated or undergo weekly testing for the disease.

Implementation of the emergency standard is currently on hold after a federal appeals court earlier this month reaffirmed an earlier temporary halt on the vaccine rule and ordered the Labor Department's Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) to stop enforcing or implementing the regulation.
Companies like Fox News, whose commentators often express anti-vax positions.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene criticized COVID-19 restrictions and said that no schools were closed because of cancer.
This woman is dumber than a mudflap.
George Takei's response to Greene.

"Tell me you're really stupid without saying you're really stupid."

States offer jobless aid to workers fired over employer vaccine requirement - CBS News
Thousands of workers across the U.S. have declined to comply with vaccine mandates, now the norm among many employers. According to a recent Kaiser Family Foundation poll, 5% of unvaccinated workers say they have chosen to leave their jobs rather than accede to an employer's directive that they get inoculated.
But now this.
Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds in October signed a bill guaranteeing unemployment benefits for those who are fired for refusing a vaccine. "No Iowan should be forced to lose their job or livelihood over the COVID-19 vaccine," she said in a statement at the time.

Lawmakers in Florida, Kansas and Tennessee, later approved similar measures providing jobless aid to people who were fired or quit for refusing shots.
All Republican-dominated states. But Republicans claim to be opposed to giving out handouts. So it seems that they are in favor of handouts to those who do what they like.

Back
Top Bottom