• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

About this omicron variant. Is there omicron infection rate data for vaccinated and/or previous Delta infection?

I read some doctors saying it could be that having Delta or vaccination could make you more susceptible to omicron.

About this omicron variant. Is there omicron infection rate data for vaccinated and/or previous Delta infection?

I read some doctors saying it could be that having Delta or vaccination could make you more susceptible to omicron.
I think the WHO is a reliable source of information: https://www.who.int/news/item/28-11-2021-update-on-omicron
OK, looks like I was correct:

Effectiveness of prior SARS-CoV-2 infection

Preliminary evidence suggests there may be an increased risk of reinfection with Omicron (ie, people who have previously had COVID-19 could become reinfected more easily with Omicron), as compared to other variants of concern, but information is limited. More information on this will become available in the coming days and weeks.

I think the WHO is a reliable source of information: https://www.who.int/news/item/28-11-2021-update-on-omicron

Preliminary evidence suggests there may be an increased risk of reinfection with Omicron (ie, people who have previously had COVID-19 could become reinfected more easily with Omicron), as compared to other variants of concern, but information is limited. More information on this will become available in the coming days and weeks.
That’s not what that says. It says that previous infection with a different variant doesn’t provide as good protection against omicron as it does against other variants.

Toni, you're right. They did not compare to people without prior infection/vaccination.
still, there are talks about that I heard.

Last edited:
Well, THIS is interesting:

In experiments using saliva samples from COVID-19 patients, the gum, which contains the ACE2 protein, neutralized the virus, according to research led by University of Pennsylvania scientists.

I can't help but wonder how bad the gum tastes, though :unsure:

Ruth

In the never ending struggle to get the hospital to administer drugs not remotely approved for the condition a patient is in...

article said:
A court order that permitted Keith Smith, on a ventilator in a medically induced coma from COVID-19, to be treated with the controversial drug ivermectin, was issued late Friday afternoon.

The order, in response to Darla Smith’s petition to compel the hospital to administer the drug to her husband of 24 years, was, to some, kind of confusing, and that led to two days of lawyers negotiating its implementation, frustrating Darla's attempts to have her husband receive the drug.
These people will move heaven and earth to get lice medication to their loved one dying from Covid... but take a vaccine to most likely protect oneself from serious illness from Covid?

In experiments using saliva samples from COVID-19 patients, the gum, which contains the ACE2 protein, neutralized the virus, according to research led by University of Pennsylvania scientists.

Ruth
So we're supposed to chew gum all waking hours or get vaccinated?

…and Teh Stoopids continue to drop like flies.
Today I found out that the sweetest old lady I ever met has been hospitalized with COVID, along with her husband… she was a veterinarian assistant and worked for a vet who I know to be unvaccinated, if not a vocal anti-vaxer. Such a shame.

These people are victims of Trumpism, plain and simple.

There are always deniers who say that vaccination is bad. It takes ever-changing forms but it's always bullshit.

What we are seeing so far is that previous Delta is of limited value in protecting you from Omicron. That doesn't mean you're more likely to get it. The vaccines are also not as effective against Omicron--personally I expect to see Omicron-specific shots in Q2 2022.

Unfortunately, they have become sufficiently politicized that they're not too reliable anymore.

Reactions: jab

No. What that is saying is that reinfection by Omicron is more likely than reinfection by other variants. It doesn't say that you're more likely to be infected by Omicron if you have previously had Delta.

Ruth
So we're supposed to chew gum all waking hours or get vaccinated?
I actually know some people that I cannot remember the last time I saw them without a wad of gum in their mouth. And they are also the type that will refuse the COVID vaccine - so maybe it would be a good thing?

Ruth

Unfortunately, they have become sufficiently politicized that they're not too reliable anymore.
What? As opposed to youtube experts? They have not become politicized by their own actions/statements. Certain individuals who do not want the pandemic contained have sought to politicize any and all actual scientific information and advice with regards to Covid19.

Back
Top Bottom