• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Tell that to the 3k+ Americans who died yesterday.

My glib response to that is I think it's safe to assume these are all "unvaccinated Trump supporting plague rats" so don't pretend like you care about them.

But in reality, I am very skeptical of the death statistics.

The pandemic is over folks.

Tell them the pandemic has been declared over multiple times already.

us-covid-deaths-worldometer-jpg.36973
Yup. What's another Pearl Harbor or 9/11 every day, more or less....

Welp, so it happened. ... -- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Instagram
Welp, so it happened. Got COVID, probably omicron. As of today I am thankfully recovered and wrapping up quarantine, but COVID was no joke. For a while I’ve noted the term “mild” is misleading when the bar is hospitalization and death. Even “mild” cases can result in long COVID, which includes a range of conditions like cognitive impairment, POTS, & chronic fatigue. This isn’t to be a downer or induce fear, just a reminder that we need to be careful (N95s in crowded indoor spaces like stores)

And keep masked around others and avoid maskless crowds.

View attachment 36817
Social distancing, Alexa O., social distancing.

Yes, when AOC does it, "bad choice" or "over estimated the protection vaccine provides".
When the "other" does it, plague rat or participant of a death cult.
The difference is that AOC is vaxxed and boosted. The people who refuse to be vaccinated or to mask or to limit their contact with other people—I personally think they are delusional and dangerous to themselves and to other people—at a bare minimum. I don’t write that lightly. Some people I care about are among those who are so deluded.

I really get how much this sucks.
good point

The three top epidemiological authorities in the U.S. are Anthony Fauci, Donald Trump and Alex Jones and, although all three have been vaccinated, two out of 3 do NOT support MANDATORY vaccinations.
Mandatory vaccinations are a political decision, not a medical decision.
Mandatory vaccinations are a political decision not a medical decision in the same sense that having standards for clean drinking water in any municipality is a political decision and not a medical one.
Well, yes, they are both political decisions, rightfully made by politicians who are elected by the community which the political decision will apply to.

Of course, different communities might want and need different standards for drinking water and raising or lowering those standards usually does not involve forcing medical procedures on unconsenting adults.
So, you are against fluoridated water when instituted by govt.

People have a right to not be vaccinated but they do not have a right to wander about outside of their personal property endangering the lives of others, including those who cannot be vaccinated or for whom vaccination might not be sufficient protection, such as transplant patients.
I am not going through this again. You are not going to convince me that forcing medical procedures on unconsenting adults is a good and proper thing. It is not. It is evil.
Nor will you convince me that people being free to spread a dangerous disease to the rest of us is a "good and proper thing".

I wish everyone were sensible enough to voluntarily take the best precautions available. It's the plague rats forcing these mandates on the rest of us. The government is trying to deal with the stupid. The government wouldn't have to take such draconian steps if people just recognized the reality of dealing with a global pandemic.
Tom
1. unvaccinated are more likely to get infected and stay infectious longer than vaccinated, thus are more likely to endanger others.
2. unvaccinated people are responsible for the clogging up of hospitals and making care for non-covid patients more difficult to access.
Nevertheless, it is the anti-maskers who are particularly reprobate and evil, because they refuse to take a step which would greatly lower their chance of injuring someone else--including gormless anti-vaxxers and people who haven't been able to be vaccinated. Also evil are anti-vax propagandists--mere vaccine avoiders who don't proselytize are feckless, reckless fools.

People have a right to not be vaccinated but they do not have a right to wander about outside of their personal property endangering the lives of others, including those who cannot be vaccinated or for whom vaccination might not be sufficient protection, such as transplant patients.
I am not going through this again. You are not going to convince me that forcing medical procedures on unconsenting adults is a good and proper thing. It is not. It is evil.
What metric are you using to determine that?
What metric is anyone using when they decide it is right and proper to force medical procedures on unconsenting adult group A, solely for the benefit of group B?

In any case, I do not think it is any longer productive to argue public policy with people who are so callous that they dehumanise their targeted group as 'plague rats'.
But "evil" is okay--do you want to rethink that epithet?

Allowing plague rats to walk around killing people is evil, no matter how much you think we should tolerate it.
Dehumanising millions that you cannot force medical procedures on is evil, no matter how casually the tolerant left does it.
Well, I'm just glad you're not calling your opponents "plague rats".

Allowing plague rats to walk around killing people is evil, no matter how much you think we should tolerate it.
Are you under the impression that Covid is in the same league with Bubonic Plague? Typhus? Polio? Small Pox? Spanish Flu?
A different league because it is much more infectious than most, probably all, of those. You don't have to get bit by a flea to get Covid.

No, my observations directly of people who did exactly this sort of spreading of misinformation for the joys of watching people be touched and be harmed by the resulting chaos caused by this malignant imposed ignorance make that a reality.
You hang around some sick people.
I think that Jarhyn has a point, although I never thought if it quite that way. Example that leaps to mind: some prominent members of the GOP and some well known FoX commentators are vaccinated themselves and cheer on all of those who are refusing to be vaccinated. As far as I can see, for shits and giggles. Oh, and power and bucks.
The logic appears to be that if people who don’t own or ride motorcycles are forced to wear helmets it will stop the pandemic.
You need to clean your glasses.
goggles, surely

What a ridiculously ignorant statement. For it to be true, it would mean vaccination has no effect whatsoever. Neither you nor I believe that.
Which of the following statements, please, must imply such a ridiculous corollary?
(A) they (the mostly vaccinated who encourage others to not be vaccinated) are hypocrites.

(B) Many of those who are refusing to be vaccinated are deluded.

(C) they have been so seriously misled...

(D) they have been so... by those who will not bear any ( or muc) risk of disease themselves.

Please show your work.

Unvaccinated people bear the greatest risk from being unvaccinated. If vaccinated people bore the greatest risk, it would mean vaccination had worse than no effect--it would have to have a negative effect.
Um, you appear to be agreeing with Toni--vaccinated people have less risk than unvaccinated. (see point D). Do you care to repair this lapse in your reading?

Right. “Sheeple” are such better targets.
How I do love right wing extremist hypocrisy! ❤️❤️❤️
So, you've witnessed multiple people on this thread call the unvaccinated 'plague rats'. Who have you witnessed calling people 'sheeple'?
you seem to prefer to avoid the metaphors, and go straight for your opponent's jugular with "evil".

Last edited:
What metric is anyone using when they decide it is right and proper to force medical procedures on unconsenting adult group A, solely for the benefit of group B?

In any case, I do not think it is any longer productive to argue public policy with people who are so callous that they dehumanise their targeted group as 'plague rats'.

Is it OK to force you to not pull the trigger of a gun when it's pointed at "Group B"?

By your thinking it's perfectly OK to knowingly take chances with other people's lives. What ever happened to personal responsibility?
People with COVID should isolate like anyone else with COVID.

I reject that people without COVID are pointing a gun at anybody.
Should the isolation be mandated--or are you talking only about a moral imperative when you write "should isolate"?

Estimates are that on the order of 40% of people with Covid don't know it and/or are asymptomatic.

Amazing. 40% of people that have contracted this virus don’t even know it.

When you put it like that I really do wonder why there are any restrictions at all. A disease so deadly that you have to be tested to know if you have it.
I'm sure you realize that pre pandemic, if you show up at your doctor's office with respiratory distress, coughing, fever, etc. that they test to see if in fact, you have influenza, right? Lots of people walk around carrying influenza virus but are not sick or are only mildly ill. Some do end up in the hospital and do die.

With COVID19, a much higher percentage of people who show up sick with respiratory distress, fever, etc. end up requiring hospitalization, ventilators and die compared with those diagnosed with influenza. And yes, they do test to see if it is COVID or flu or some other respiratory illness so that they know how to treat the patient and what to expect as the disease progresses.

With measles, about 1 in 4 cases of measles requires hospitalization and about 1 in 1000 die from measles. Of course, this is much less common now because everyone except those whose children are immunocompromised or those who belong to a religious cult or are so selfish that they are happy for everyone else to bear the brunt of providing them with herd immunity are vaccinated. Huh. We vaccinate to prevent serious health risks and death from a highly communicable disease. We also vaccinate against influenza and a host of other diseases and by doing so, prevent thousands and thousands of deaths each year, as well as hospitalizations, missed work/school, etc. And vaccination works. Huh. Imagine that.
When I was in grade 3, I was hospitalized with measles, and I was put in isolation--couldn't even see my parents even though I was feeling really sick and miserable--it was horrible frightening, and dehumanizing.
Furthermore, nothing is being forced. Go be unvaccinated if you want, just only associate with As, stay away from Bs and especially Cs. The basic impossibility of this is irrelevant.
Of course it is being forced. That's what a vaccine mandate is. You and your fascist brethren don't want the unvaccinated to form their own associations. You and your fascist brethren don't want a grocery store to be able to say 'unvaccinated people welcome here'. You and your fascist brethren want a situation like Germany and Austria, with fines in perpetuity and/or indefinite house arrest for the unvaccinated. You and your fascist brethren advocate this openly. The only outrage that I have not seen anybody advocate is the government physically kidnapping citizens and forcing the vaccine on them. Presumably though some people advocate that, too.

Is any place mandating that you get the vaccine if you don't associate with others?
I wasn't able to visit my unvaccinated brother last year in his house, because he was unvaccinated. (I was fully vaxxed at the time).

So yes, they wouldn't even let the unvaccinated associate with anybody. It was forbidden for them to go out or to have social visitors.
We you going to visit by yourself or in a family visit, or was your brother proposing to throw a huge, spreader party? If the first alternative, this seems wrong to me, an abuse of power. Who, specifically, is the "they"?

Last edited:

My glib response to that is I think it's safe to assume these are all "unvaccinated Trump supporting plague rats" so don't pretend like you care about them.

But in reality, I am very skeptical of the death statistics.
In that case lets talk bridges for sale.

A disease so deadly that you have to be tested to know if you have it
What, you mean like AIDS? Or Influenza? Or, well, pretty much every single disease in human history?

Tell me you know fuck-all about how diseases work, without telling me you know fuck-all about how diseases work.
I bet he tells his wife not to bother with those pesky mammograms. No need to worry until symptoms become apparent.
Yay! I have learned from the Internet today: I can tell my doctor I'll just skip those pesky colonoscopies and prostate exams until I'm feeling symptomatic.

So, in this thread, the unvaccinated have been called plague rats by:

barbos
blastula
Loren Pechtel
ZiprHead
Jimmy Higgins
TomC
crazyfingers
Elixir

among others.

I started an exchange with Toni and referred to how the term 'plague rats' had been used to refer to the unvaccinated, but a search shows that Toni herself does not appear to have done that in this thread. So, I apologise for saying or implying that Toni called the unvaccinated 'plague rats', I was mistaken to do so.

I can also see that there has been a misunderstanding (my fault) about the group of people who are morally blameworthy. Toni was specifically singling out vaccinated people who had a public platform and encouraged others to be unvaccinated. I can only imagine that that behaviour comes from a tiny percentage of the population and does not reflect on the moral status of most vaccinated people.
Yes, please. Let's focus on your petty complaint about names instead of focusing on a disease that's killing thousands of people a day. Need to focus on the important stuff, right?
Yes, being on a ventilator etc. isn't the least bit dehumanizing.

Back
Top Bottom