• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Lots of people have to wear masks on the job. Strangely they don't have the experience that's so widespread amongst the deniers. Finding a mask suffocating is the outlier reaction. They don't screen medical school students for how they react to masks despite the 100% certainty they will have to wear them at times during their training.
Yes, lots of people have to wear masks. That doesn't mean they like the feeling. Surgeons don't wear masks on the way home from surgery.

The fact that you wear masks in your car, alone, for ten minutes, is a sign you are an outlier. That's not normal. You are not normal. It's okay to not be normal. It's not okay to pretend your experience is universal and everyone else is a liar.

I'm certainly not the only one who does it.
I didn't claim it.

You just assume the people you see alone with a mask are nut cases
No, I don't.

rather than realizing it's just people who don't consider it worth taking off for a short period.
Of course it's those people. And the fact that you don't think ten minutes alone is enough of a period paints you as an outlier. You don't take it off because you are not as bothered as most people are.

Or consider another observation: I would say the portion of the population wearing the high grade stuff is in the 5-10% range around here--and I can't recall ever seeing someone remove one as soon as they were outdoors.
So what? I'm not arguing that the high grade ones are not more comfortable. They probably are. But you also don't appear to understand that the people wearing the high-grade ones are very serious about masking up and are more willing than the average person to trade off their comfort for perceived protection.

And the fact that you are tripling down on your 'denier' bullshit should make you ashamed but I'm sure it doesn't.

Toddlers rip off masks when you try to put them on them. I saw my mother struggle to breathe when she was in hospital because she was required to wear a mask (adding to the pain she was experiencing). You just have no empathy and no fucking idea.

I've seen plenty of toddlers not ripping off masks.
Toddlers rip off masks when they are first given them. Yes, you can train toddlers to not do so, but you are entirely missing the point. It is instinctive to not want to have things over our nose and mouth.

Notably, in every case they were Asian. Their parents actually took the time to teach them to wear a mask rather than consider it impossible.
I did not say it was impossible. You missed the point.

When the mandate was first made the low-grade stuff was still a big help and the good stuff wasn't available. Mandating N95 wasn't an option. (And a political football whether it was N95 or N95/KN95/KF94.)
Well, the mask theatre continues, and so now we have a situation where it does almost nothing, and people suffer needlessly (suffering that I acknowledge you simply deny because it suits you).
I deny it because in almost all cases is psychosomatic.
Yeah, this is the last exchange I'm having with you about this, because I would like to write exactly what I think of your attitude but I don't feel like getting banned again.

But if you want more evidence, there are plenty of studies. Purely for example:

That is not evidence that mask mandates stop the spread of a virus. It’s fiction based off a computer model. It’s something that never actually happened, it’s not even a study.
Your claim was against masks, not against mask mandates. My reply was to your claim.

As for mask mandates, of course it depends on whether the mandates are effective at getting people to actually wear masks (proper masks, properly used). That depends on the cultural context. Maybe they do not work over here, but they work in Japan, Korea or China. Then again, it probably did work over here for a while, in some social circles, but not in most. Nowadays it's just a handful of people wearing them seriously.

The thing with masks is that they work but there is no reason to use them when driving alone or when walking around outside, unless there is a crowd. I routinely see people walking around, no other pedestrians in the vicinity, and they still have their masks on for no reason. Isn
t it uncomfortable to breathe like that while walking for them? I don't get it. I wear my mask in the grocery store, but as soon as I get out into fresh air I take it off.

The thing with masks is that they work but there is no reason to use them when driving alone or when walking around outside, unless there is a crowd. I routinely see people walking around, no other pedestrians in the vicinity, and they still have their masks on for no reason. Isn
t it uncomfortable to breathe like that while walking for them? I don't get it. I wear my mask in the grocery store, but as soon as I get out into fresh air I take it off.
You claiming to feel any level of discomfort at all is a psychosomatic QOP-induced filthy lie, and you probably think 5G was injected along with AIDS during your "COVID" (not real) vaccination.

Loren has no problem with his mask and Loren's corporal sensations apply to all people. Stop being such a filthy dirty GOP-sucking lapdog liar scumbag and admit you actually love the sensation of a mask over your nose and mouth and you only say you don't because you want to stick it to the libtards.

I agree and I do the same thing, but I do have some friends who always wear their masks, even when unnecessary. I don't judge them. If someone wants to wear a mask all day, who cares?

My Jersey sister told me yesterday that she loves wearing her mask. It makes her feel more self confident as she feels like it makes her look younger. Whatever floats your boat. I've also read that some teenagers who are very self conscious prefer to wear a mask. It covers up their acne or whatever part of their faces they feel insecure about. So, I guess we will see people wearing masks for reasons other than COVID. A few times I've left mine on outdoors on cold days because it kept my face warm. I'm not saying you are being critical of those who keep their masks on all the time. I'm just explaining why some do it.

Bill Maher said on his recent stand up comedy show that he'd like to punch anyone who wears a mask outdoors. Why the fuck should anyone care if another person feels secure wearing a mask? If a mask has become a new fashion accessory, so be it. Since this year's flu vaccine was almost worthless, mask wearing has probably saved a lot of people from getting the flu :) .

You claiming to feel any level of discomfort at all is a psychosomatic QOP-induced filthy lie, and you probably think 5G was injected along with AIDS during your "COVID" (not real) vaccination.

Loren has no problem with his mask and Loren's corporal sensations apply to all people. Stop being such a filthy dirty GOP-sucking lapdog liar scumbag and admit you actually love the sensation of a mask over your nose and mouth and you only say you don't because you want to stick it to the libtards.
Loren is, in general, a Libertarian. It amazes me how people like Loren get plastered as some sort of left-wing hippie, just because other people on the right have lost their minds.

Loren is, in general, a Libertarian. It amazes me how people like Loren get plastered as some sort of left-wing hippie, just because other people on the right have lost their minds.
Yeah, I feel for Loren. He gets it from … dare I say it … both sides.

I know people who have not problem breathing in a mask and prefer just leaving it on as opposed to taking it off and on. Sometimes I forget and leave my sunglasses on when I'm indoors. Same principle. My teenage prefers to wear his mask all the time. He's very introverted and shy and it gives him a sense of comfort.

I agree and I do the same thing, but I do have some friends who always wear their masks, even when unnecessary. I don't judge them. If someone wants to wear a mask all day, who cares?

My Jersey sister told me yesterday that she loves wearing her mask. It makes her feel more self confident as she feels like it makes her look younger. Whatever floats your boat. I've also read that some teenagers who are very self conscious prefer to wear a mask. It covers up their acne or whatever part of their faces they feel insecure about. So, I guess we will see people wearing masks for reasons other than COVID. A few times I've left mine on outdoors on cold days because it kept my face warm. I'm not saying you are being critical of those who keep their masks on all the time. I'm just explaining why some do it.

Bill Maher said on his recent stand up comedy show that he'd like to punch anyone who wears a mask outdoors. Why the fuck should anyone care if another person feels secure wearing a mask? If a mask has become a new fashion accessory, so be it. Since this year's flu vaccine was almost worthless, mask wearing has probably saved a lot of people from getting the flu :) .
Bill Maher is an opinionated butt hole. I used to enjoy some of his shows but not anymore. He's just awful.

Maher is a libertarian, always been a libertarian, that again looked like a flaming liberal after the W and Trump administrations waltzed through DC. The right-wing has shifted so hard to the right, that it has perverted the political spectrum in the US.

I have family members who hit several high-risk categories, including immunocompromised. Not only do I wear a mask whenever I go out, but I have to wear one at home. I am fucking tired of masks, but I'm not going to endanger my family because of all the fucking idiots out there who think it is all no big deal, and thereby keep this shit going. If some anti-masker gets in my face about wearing one they are gonna get about 2 years worth of frustrations released on them.

FQ4LE1QWQAAqTa7

I didn't call Loren a left-wing hippie. I am admonishing him for his lack of empathy and his tripling down on it when called out on it.

Yes, that is the main cost of wearing a mask. It's much less now, though, after the pandemic. But it's increasing. There are countries where masks have been a part of life for a long time, and are accepted. But in most, they aren't. It is unfortunate, because use of masks could prevent many preventable diseases.

Since I could get my hands on them I've worn almost exclusively N95s. Back before the vaccine I would put my mask on when encountering someone while outdoors. If I was on the level or descending I often forgot about it and didn't take it back off when there wasn't anyone around. 7,000'+, typically around 10,000' up and with 20+ pounds of gear on my back. It was never uncomfortable to breathe, but it was noticeably harder when climbing--like I was maybe 1,000' higher than I actually was.

This is so perverse. In other words people are wearing masks for any reason other than “stopping the spread””

Bunch of weirdos but have at it.

I've been wearing masks for years while I drive but it's because my lungs are affected by the road salt they use in the winter. When there's no dust in the air I don't use the mask. Since the pandemic, I also wear it in closed spaces but I take it off as soon as I come out.

Last edited:
There are a lot of people who drive for work who are required to wear a mask while on duty - in the car.
There are also people who have people in teir car that you can’t see.
And there are people who do not ge the discomfort that you (complainers) get.

And there are people who do not ge the discomfort that you (complainers) get.
Not according to Loren. People who don't like masks are lying or brainwashed or both.

I accept that others have mask reactions different to mine. I've discussed it at someone with work, who sometimes wears a mask on his own in the car because he forgets about it. Nobody could forget about a mask if it bothered them, so I accept it didn't bother him. And he did not have the temerity to tell me my corporal reaction to masking was a lie.

Back
Top Bottom