• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Yes and a tip demonstrates appreciation.
Around here, a tip would be a massively condescending statement of your low opinion of the recipient's ability to earn his own money. An insult, and an attempt to rub someone's nose in their low social status.

Although in tourist areas it would be excused with the thought that 'he probably doesn't know any better, being American'.

It's less of a faux pas here than in, say, Japan; But even here, the idea that someone won't do their best work except in anticipation of a tip; Or that they are a charity case who needs handouts to survive, is nevertheless highly insulting.
Australia does not have a tipping culture, but a tip is not a faux pas, or "massively condescending", or an insult, or an attempt to flaunt social status, as bilby falsely suggests, except perhaps in particular situations.

Yes and a tip demonstrates appreciation.
Around here, a tip would be a massively condescending statement of your low opinion of the recipient's ability to earn his own money. An insult, and an attempt to rub someone's nose in their low social status.

Although in tourist areas it would be excused with the thought that 'he probably doesn't know any better, being American'.

It's less of a faux pas here than in, say, Japan; But even here, the idea that someone won't do their best work except in anticipation of a tip; Or that they are a charity case who needs handouts to survive, is nevertheless highly insulting.
Yes it sounds like Japan. I've been there like more than 30 times and no tipping. It's considered an insult.

Different cultures. Tipping is a big difference. I recall when I started traveling internationally for work I got a handbook on what major differences to know about.

There are jobs in the US where people make most of their money on the tips like restaurant servers.

I was in a doctor's office yesterday. Masks optional, no employee was wearing one. Yet they ask the Covid questions. Hey, it spreads so well because it spreads before you have symptoms!
I've only been to one doctors office or medical location that didn't require a mask, and it was near empty.

Even Teh Gruaniad has come to terms that lockdowns and mandates don't work;

But what will perhaps be surprising to many is that England has actually had a similar rate of infection and a lower rate of Covid deaths during the Omicron wave – and since 19 July 2021, England’s “freedom day” – than Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, despite having far fewer mandatory restrictions, and none after 24 February. This “natural experiment” shows that having more mandates did not lead to better outcomes. There was also no significant difference in overall excess mortality across the home nations to the end of 2021. And England’s is now likely to be lower as – somewhat remarkably, given the Omicron wave – excess mortality is negative in England for 2022 so far, with the lowest age-standardised mortality rates (the best comparator to previous years, as it takes population ageing into account) since the series began in 2001.

Teh Gruaniad

I'm curious if right-wingers understand what the word "lockdown" means. At no point, was the western Hemisphere "locked down".

What is even funnier is this sense of paranoia exhibited by the right-wing, that the "lockdown" was done to fuck with them, not to save lives. The right-wing has skewed away from reality so gradually, they have no idea how absolutely ridiculous they sound, all the while fervently believing they are right.

Known cases in the public school where my kid goes are on track for May to surpass January case numbers. My son reports that maybe 10% of the people in the high school wear masks. I just shot off an email to the superintendent telling him it's time. I don't know if they care. "Kids don't get very sick" Wrong. And it's not just about the kids you moron. They live in a family.

I took the same kid to the doctor yesterday unrelated to this. A knee issue. The Dr Office requires masks but the receptionist had it down below her nose. I told her to put it on correctly.

A few days ago I had to actually go into a bank. I needed small bills that we use to tip the workers who deliver the groceries out to us in the car. Two tellers. One with a mask and one without. I said out loud I was going to the one with the mask and not the one without a mask.

I'm really tired of people who give no consideration for others.
Moreover, there's a certain amount of consideration everyone owes everyone else, and while it's OK to recognize there will be a minority of people for whom this is greater than the amount they wish personally to give, it is still their responsibility to give of it!

The names of these responsibilities are "taxes" and "public safety regulations".

I kind of wonder sometimes if it wouldn't be worthwhile to just hire otherwise homeless or professionally repellant people to go around and bother/heckle people who are being socially inconsiderate (coughing a lot without a mask on in a public space, leaving shopping carts outside the cart return, playing loud music in confined spaces at non-voluntary captive audiences, etc.) and send such to places where many folks argue a need for them.

"Don't be an asshole we pay a guy for that, and you aren't that guy."
I'm curious if right-wingers understand what the word "lockdown" means. At no point, was the western Hemisphere "locked down".

What is even funnier is this sense of paranoia exhibited by the right-wing, that the "lockdown" was done to fuck with them, not to save lives. The right-wing has skewed away from reality so gradually, they have no idea how absolutely ridiculous they sound, all the while fervently believing they are right.
I would wager that this describes the whole of the human condition through all of time. We started at "skewed beyond belief" and occasionally take jumps forward. Some people just don't step with the rest of us because they don't know how.

Hilarious :hysterical:

Jacinda Ardern has tested positive to Covid - days after announcing New Zealand would finally open up to the rest of the world. The NZ Prime Minister announced she'd been struck down with the virus on Saturday, after her fiancé Clarke Gayford and daughter Neve both already tested positive.
'Despite best efforts, unfortunately I've joined the rest of my family and have tested positive for COVID 19.'

Daily Mail

I haven’t laughed this hard since my granny caught her tits in the mangle :hysterical:

Unfortunately the virus won’t cause her much discomfort, this evil authoritarian deserves much worse than a mild cold.

Jacinda Ardern has tested positive to Covid - days after announcing New Zealand would finally open up to the rest of the world. The NZ Prime Minister announced she'd been struck down with the virus on Saturday, after her fiancé Clarke Gayford and daughter Neve both already tested positive.
'Despite best efforts, unfortunately I've joined the rest of my family and have tested positive for COVID 19.'

Daily Mail

I haven’t laughed this hard since my granny caught her tits in the mangle :hysterical:

Unfortunately the virus won’t cause her much discomfort, this evil authoritarian deserves much worse than a mild cold.

Cases/1M pop            Deaths/1M pop
Sweden              245,180                  1,846
New Zealand          15,404                    186

Daily Mail

Interesting to see what you find funny.

My wife was watching a show "The Indian Doctor", about a doctor from India that moves to a small village in the UK in the 60's. In the second season they have a small pox outbreak. The doctor finally manages to get supplied vaccines, but the village priest is against vaccination, and tells his followers to refuse it. Damn if the show was not timely, considering it was made in 2010.

Also had someone saying since the British are so clean, it must have been brought in by some *ahem* foreign source, insinuating the doctor and his family. The actual source was the priest. A fellow priest he knew died overseas, and his belongings were sent to the village priest. A boy got a chance to play with the funny robes in the shipment and caught it from there.

Dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine Peter Hotez said, "I don’t even call it misinformation or disinformation anymore. I call it anti-science aggression, to convince millions of Americans not to take a Covid vaccine. And at least 200,000 Americans between May 1 and the end of 2021 died needlessly from Covid because of it. And everyone’s afraid to talk about it because it’s very unpleasant to have to point out that these deaths occurred along such a strict partisan divide. Even the White House won’t talk about it in that way."

Cases/1M pop            Deaths/1M pop
Sweden              245,180                  1,846
New Zealand          15,404                    186
What some people find funny is a symptom of a diseased society.
Unfortunate in Swiz's opinion that Ardern didn't get severely sick, so probably also unfortunate that NZ has experienced only a tenth of Sweden's death rate. But if anyone expresses the sentiment that it's "funny" that 200,000 Americans (mostly trumpsuckers) died unnecessarily last year, the RW snowflakes get their panties in a wad, hypocritical dickweeds that most of them are.

Patti LuPone goes full on Karen and scolds an audience member for not wearing their mask properly, telling them to “get the fuck out!!”

The demented old broad isn’t even wearing a mask! :hysterical: Besides, masks are so last year. (And of course don’t actually work for “stopping the spread”)

[masks] don’t actually work for “stopping the spread”

:realitycheck:

No, they don't "stop the spread", but they slow it dramatically when used even close to properly.
Something that sets masks apart from Trumpspiracy cures like Ivermectin, Clorox, Urine and UV lights up your butt.

The governor of Kansas issued an executive order requiring wearing masks in public spaces, effective July 3, 2020, which was subject to county authority to opt out. After July 3, COVID-19 incidence decreased (avg -6% cases per 100,000) in 24 counties with mask mandates but continued to increase (over 100% in the same period) in 81 counties without mask mandates.

But keep up with that UV light up your butt - just watch where you sit! :p

The demented old broad isn’t even wearing a mask! :hysterical: Besides, masks are so last year. (And of course don’t actually work for “stopping the spread”)
"Stop the spread" is not a binary. Masks don't stop it but they do reduce it. That wouldn't matter if the everybody-will-get-it crowd was right, but as we've seen that's not the case. Plenty of people haven't gotten it and even getting-it isn't a binary--we are seeing that while previous infection provided pretty good protection against variants before Omicron that no longer applies--having gotten one variant doesn't mean you won't get another.

If you decide not to show up at a war it doesn't end the war, it just grants victory to the other side.

Daily Mail

Always stay classy.

[masks] don’t actually work for “stopping the spread”

:realitycheck:

No, they don't "stop the spread", but they slow it dramatically when used even close to properly.
Something that sets masks apart from Trumpspiracy cures like Ivermectin, Clorox, Urine and UV lights up your butt.

The governor of Kansas issued an executive order requiring wearing masks in public spaces, effective July 3, 2020, which was subject to county authority to opt out. After July 3, COVID-19 incidence decreased (avg -6% cases per 100,000) in 24 counties with mask mandates but continued to increase (over 100% in the same period) in 81 counties without mask mandates.

But keep up with that UV light up your butt - just watch where you sit! :p
A UV light in a place with no melatonin...

Is it just me or does this sound like a recipe for anal cancer?

well Tucker's fans are already considering testicle tanning, so why not anal UV? I actually endorse these therapies

well Tucker's fans are already considering testicle tanning, so why not anal UV? I actually endorse these therapies

I wonder if that's not somehow the point? Like, I can see trolls preferring to target the idiotic with idiocy that will get them a Darwin Award, but it's still not ethical because idiots don't deserve to be filled with idiocy and die, and we don't deserve the consequences of that idiocy with the collateral costs.

Yes, it is easy to trick someone into doing something dumb, and sometimes it's really funny when they do the dumb thing. There are limits to the acceptability of this behavior, however, particularly when someone could get hurt.

Shaudenfreude is a boon of accidental nature, a happy, if also sad, accident... It is not something that we ought initiate, no matter how funny it will be. I would as soon have the messaging there to teach them to get vaccines and support the public welfare as have messaging to convince them to sterilize themselves.

Back
Top Bottom