• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Well, that would first require someone to actually suffer from that sensation that they are suffocating.
No, as a matter of fact it doesn't.

I hated wearing masks, they did give me the feeling of being short of breath. Possibly related to 40+ years of smoking, but they did.

I still wore them when appropriate. I have elderly relatives I was anxious about contracting the virus. I wanted to help keep everyone healthy as best I could with the low tech methods available, even if they're not perfect.

But I did find masking hateful and took them off the second I was out of a danger zone.
Tom

I hated wearing masks, they did give me the feeling of being short of breath. Possibly related to 40+ years of smoking, but they did.
I have COPD and and I have trouble breathing in the N95s. Most other masks aren't an issue for me.

I guess the feeling of being suffocated isn't a big deal because it's only psychological.
And the fear of my daughter getting an immunization is definitely psychological. Or my anxiety of getting blood drawn is psychological. But we are supposed to rise above that... especially in times of need.

Or... what is it that conservatives like to say "Fuck your feelings"? Funny how feelings matter sometimes with conservatives... so much they were willing to risk health of themselves and others over them. Quite irrational really.
If Loren were willing to say 'fuck your feelings and tolerate the sensation of suffocation', that would be one thing. But Loren isn't willing to do that. He simply denies that anybody else has any experience that differs from his own. He has no physical discomfort with a mask so nobody else does, either.

If one claims to have discomfort from a mere mask, they will really hate being intubated because they refused to wear their mask.
One does not get intubated merely because one refused to wear a mask, unless it is being done by the State as cruel and unusual punishment.

Of hospital inpatients with COVID-19, around 2.5% are ventilated or intubated (latest data). The vast majority of people who get COVID-19 are not hospitalised, let alone ventilated.

I'm sorry, however, that you evidently have little sympathy for the physical discomfort of others.

Well, that would first require someone to actually suffer from that sensation that they are suffocating.

I still wore them when appropriate. I have elderly relatives I was anxious about contracting the virus. I wanted to help keep everyone healthy as best I could with the low tech methods available, even if they're not perfect.

But I did find masking hateful and took them off the second I was out of a danger zone.
Tom
My mother was hospitalised this year (unrelated to COVID) and was required to wear a mask while in the emergency ward.

She had a sense of suffocation from the mask and removed it whenever allowed by the rules. But Loren has told me she experienced that because she was told to find it suffocating by the radio, and of course she complied.

I guess the feeling of being suffocated isn't a big deal because it's only psychological.
And the fear of my daughter getting an immunization is definitely psychological. Or my anxiety of getting blood drawn is psychological. But we are supposed to rise above that... especially in times of need.

Or... what is it that conservatives like to say "Fuck your feelings"? Funny how feelings matter sometimes with conservatives... so much they were willing to risk health of themselves and others over them. Quite irrational really.
If Loren were willing to say 'fuck your feelings and tolerate the sensation of suffocation', that would be one thing.
What?

When people are waterboarded, they don't actually drown. They just have the sensation of drowning. Can you not suffer from sensations? You know pain is a sensation, right?

Which isn't very likely because wearing the mask doesn't stop molecular oxygen from going through it. Secondly, if in the rare case someone was suffering from that sensation, they are almost certainly at high risk from suffering greatly if they got Covid-19.
But Loren isn't willing to do that. He simply denies that anybody else has any experience that differs from his own. He has no physical discomfort with a mask so nobody else does, either.
Well, for the most part, most people don't feel suffocation while wearing a mask because... well... science.
So, anyone who claims to have a sense of suffocation is lying? Because "science"?

Tom
My mother was hospitalised this year (unrelated to COVID) and was required to wear a mask while in the emergency ward.

She had a sense of suffocation from the mask and removed it whenever allowed by the rules. But Loren has told me she experienced that because she was told to find it suffocating by the radio, and of course she complied.

I'm confident that Loren didn't say that.
Tom

Tom

I'm confident that Loren didn't say that.
Tom
Of course he didn't say that about my mother. I was referring to Loren's inhumane and condescending dismissal of my own sensations when wearing a mask, which he puts down to listening and obeying anti-mask pundits.

Loren wrote:
You were told they [masks] were suffocating, you believed it.

Meanwhile, a new study estimates that the Covid vaccines have saved 3 million lives in the US and about $1.15 Trillion in medical costs.

Think of all that lost profit!

I have COPD and and I have trouble breathing in the N95s. Most other masks aren't an issue for me.
I find the respirators better than cloth/surgical because they stay off the face, you have more filter to breathe through.

If N95s are too much, try R95. Same filtration, more expensive, more breathable. Less vulnerable to degradation by skin oil.

Intubated patient: "Mmphh, Mmphhh!"
First nurse: "What is he trying to say?"
Second nurse: "Invermectin! Invermectin!"
The number of people being ventilated or intubated because of COVID-19 will continue to decline in the future, especially with the new antivirals.
You realize we are losing more Covid drugs than we are gaining? And the number isn't declining--Covid is holding pretty much steady at the #3 killer in the country.

Meanwhile, a new study estimates that the Covid vaccines have saved 3 million lives in the US and about $1.15 Trillion in medical costs.

For the funeral industry?

Intubated patient: "Mmphh, Mmphhh!"
First nurse: "What is he trying to say?"
Second nurse: "Invermectin! Invermectin!"
The number of people being ventilated or intubated because of COVID-19 will continue to decline in the future, especially with the new antivirals.
You realize we are losing more Covid drugs than we are gaining? And the number isn't declining--Covid is holding pretty much steady at the #3 killer in the country.
The number of people being intubated or ventilated because of COVID-19 is declining, exactly as I stated.

If Loren were willing to say 'fuck your feelings and tolerate the sensation of suffocation', that would be one thing.
What?

When people are waterboarded, they don't actually drown. They just have the sensation of drowning. Can you not suffer from sensations? You know pain is a sensation, right?
You don't have much to go on, so you need to step into torture territory when speaking about wearing masks to deal with a pandemic?
Which isn't very likely because wearing the mask doesn't stop molecular oxygen from going through it. Secondly, if in the rare case someone was suffering from that sensation, they are almost certainly at high risk from suffering greatly if they got Covid-19.
But Loren isn't willing to do that. He simply denies that anybody else has any experience that differs from his own. He has no physical discomfort with a mask so nobody else does, either.
Well, for the most part, most people don't feel suffocation while wearing a mask because... well... science.
So, anyone who claims to have a sense of suffocation is lying? Because "science"?
You need to look up the word "most".

Though I think it is adorable you give a damn because of a personal anecdote.

What?

You don't have much to go on, so you need to step into torture territory when speaking about wearing masks to deal with a pandemic?
I have my own sensation of suffocation to "go on", which ought be enough, except for Loren.

And you'll notice I never said "don't ever mandate masks in any situation", I said "don't deny my own experiences because it doesn't fit with your narrative".

Why is it so difficult for people to accept that some people have uncomfortable, even distressing experiences, with masks?

You need to look up the word "most".
You made a claim. You made a claim that "most" people don't feel a sense of suffocation while wearing a mask. You evidenced this claim by uttering the word "science", as if that utterance were any kind of evidence at all.

Though I think it is adorable you give a damn because of a personal anecdote.
I don't understand your sentence, but I 'give a damn' about what happens to and the sensations of my own body, yes. It's the only one I've got.

For the funeral industry?
Doctors, also.

You made a claim. You made a claim that "most" people don't feel a sense of suffocation while wearing a mask. You evidenced this claim by uttering the word "science", as if that utterance were any kind of evidence at all.
The thing is the reports of feeling suffocated come far more from those on the right than on the left. I don't think the biology differs like that.

The thing is the reports of feeling suffocated come far more from those on the right than on the left. I don't think the biology differs like that.
Loren, I was banned the last time I argued about this with you, so I'm stepping away from your dehumanising and degrading comments.

Back
Top Bottom