• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

More Texans died from refusing the vaccine than from WWII
WW2 US losses were pretty minuscule.
Sure, compared to Russian losses. But that is to be expected, since losing Russians is Russia’s military specialty. Losses are not a glitch, they’re a feature. Right now they’re Russia’s greatest strength.

View attachment 41641

If Darrell Huff were still alive he could make a new chapter

I'm not going to take the time to watch the video but it would not surprise me in the least. It's the same as higher credit scores being associated with lower crashes. They are all proxies for the underlying concept of how careful someone is in conducting their life. Careful people are much less likely to get into financial trouble, they are more likely to be vaccinated and they are less likely to be in a crash. While it is oft-repeated that correlation doesn't mean causation that should not be interpreted to say they are unrelated. When you have a correlation with a high p-value there almost certainly is a relationship--but it may be both are related to a third factor rather than there being any relationship between the two values. Consider the standard example of unrelated things showing a statistical relationship--ice cream sales and rape. There's a strong relationship but they're actually both being driven by weather.

New Covid 19 strain
The CDC projected Friday that about 40% of confirmed U.S. Covid cases are caused by the XBB.1.5 strain, up from 20% a week ago. In the Northeast, about 75% of confirmed cases are reported to be XBB.1.5

Studies performed in the lab have found that XBB is capable of evading antibodies from previous Covid infections or vaccinations, meaning that being exposed to the virus would mean someone is more likely to get sick or reinfected and show symptoms.
Wear those masks! Pepper spray those plague rats around you that refuse to wear theirs. I want to thank governor Abbot for making it illegal in Texas for comanies, schools, and government agancies to mandate vaccinations and mask wearing.

It's all great, but on the grand scheme of things we failed.
3 years and no end in sight. New more contagious variants appear every few months.

It's all great, but on the grand scheme of things we failed.
3 years and no end in sight. New more contagious variants appear every few months.
Contagious isn't as big a problem as more contagious and more severe. The disease will get more contagious, that is how it evolves. Those who got immunized were hospitalized much less and died much less than those who weren't, which meant hospitals weren't overrun even more than they were. That is not called failure.

If it was a failure, 37 million infections -> 370,000 dead a day.

What a difference a year makes to “the science”;

Tennis players competing at the Australian Open this month will still be able to take part if they test positive for Covid-19, tournament director Craig Tiley said on Monday, a major departure from the tournament’s stringent pandemic policies from the past two years that saw crowds banned from matches and nine-time champion Novak Djokovic be deported over his refusal to get vaccinated.

Forbes

Djokavic won the warm up tournament in Adelaide yesterday. A year ago he was demonized by the Australian government and the press and I’m sure here too.

But the USA is sticking with “the science” and Djokavic will likely not be allowed to enter the USA to compete in US tournaments.

What a difference a year makes to “the science”;

Tennis players competing at the Australian Open this month will still be able to take part if they test positive for Covid-19, tournament director Craig Tiley said on Monday, a major departure from the tournament’s stringent pandemic policies from the past two years that saw crowds banned from matches and nine-time champion Novak Djokovic be deported over his refusal to get vaccinated.

Forbes

Djokavic won the warm up tournament in Adelaide yesterday. A year ago he was demonized by the Australian government and the press and I’m sure here too.

But the USA is sticking with “the science” and Djokavic will likely not be allowed to enter the USA to compete in US tournaments.

Well, it just got extended from January to April.

If it has gotten way better by April and in the meantime XBB has light impact and the vaccination mandate is not removed, I just won't know what to say.

Apparently 'Diamond' of Diamond & Silk has died. No cause has been given, but speculation is it might have been COVID. The speculation is driven by a request on Twitter to 'pray for her' posted in November, without explanation as to what was wrong, and the lack of cause given now.

It is only speculation, but I'm thinking the odds are pretty good

Back
Top Bottom