• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

You can always tell if someone isn't taking the mask seriously when they have not pinched the top to fit the nose. If he has even worn that other than on his chin he has not pinched it at the nose.
The one he is wearing does not have metal strip for nose.
You can't tell. Some masks like that have a wire over the nose. When the mask is flat in the package the wire is flat, but it's there and you can bend it to fit your nose.
I have seen these types of masks, they don't have "wires".

Anti-Vax Leader Urges Followers to Drink Their Own Urine to Fight COVID

Anti-COVID-19 “Vaccine Police” leader Christopher Key has a new quarter-baked conspiracy theory for his anti-vax followers to use to cure themselves of COVID-19: Drink their own urine. “The antidote that we have seen now, and we have tons and tons of research, is urine therapy....“This vaccine is the worst bioweapon I have ever seen,” he concluded. “I drink my own urine!”

What a world. Intelligent people are being silenced so that uneducated people won't be offended.
I heard eating their own shit works even better.

Last edited:
You can always tell if someone isn't taking the mask seriously when they have not pinched the top to fit the nose. If he has even worn that other than on his chin he has not pinched it at the nose.
You can't tell. Some masks like that have a wire over the nose. When the mask is flat in the package the wire is flat, but it's there and you can bend it to fit your nose.
20220111_090149.jpg

Of all the real masks that I've purchased including surgical masks, KF94, KN95 and N95, I have never seen a mask that did not have a metal wire or strip to fit the mask around the nose.

View attachment 36665
OK. I've never worn one. It looks like a thing used to bind cables in electronics.
Pretty flimsy and does not keep the shape much. I guess people don't wear it correctly, cause they they don't even notice this flimsy thing.

View attachment 36665
OK. I've never worn one. It looks like a thing used to bind cables in electronics.
Pretty flimsy and does not keep the shape much. I guess people don't wear it correctly, cause they they don't even notice this flimsy thing.
There are many reasons why people do not wear it correctly. Laziness is one. Lack of giving a shit, another. But I suspect the main reason is ignorance of the instructions. You only need to read instructions once or be told verbally once to retain that info. However, many masks are available instructionless or handed out without instruction. Also, in an anti-mask culture the learning about proper mask wearing is far less likely to be passed on. That said, at some level the fact DeSantis's mask is unbent increases the probability he hadn't worn it on his nose.

View attachment 36665
There are many reasons why people do not wear it correctly. Laziness is one. Lack of giving a shit, another. But I suspect the main reason is ignorance of the instructions. You only need to read instructions once or be told verbally once to retain that info. However, many masks are available instructionless or handed out without instruction. Also, in an anti-mask culture the learning about proper mask wearing is far less likely to be passed on. That said, at some level the fact DeSantis's mask is unbent increases the probability he hadn't worn it on his nose.
[male]What are in...ster...uck...shuns? [/male]

View attachment 36665
[male]What are in...ster...uck...shuns? [/male]
Also: reading.

The masks I've purchased have come with instructions with illustrations.... There is indeed a thin, flat metal piece that can be bent to fit closely over your nose and near your face. Only one seems close enough to prevent my glasses from fogging up, tho.

The masks I've purchased have come with instructions with illustrations.... There is indeed a thin, flat metal piece that can be bent to fit closely over your nose and near your face. Only one seems close enough to prevent my glasses from fogging up, tho.
What brand have you found which works well with glasses?

Ruth

I use Copperfit masks. Well made with a very fine silk like material on the inside and an outer cloth material. A quality bit of bendable metal for the nose piece. Almost never do my glasses fog.

I use Copperfit masks. Well made with a very fine silk like material on the inside and an outer cloth material. A quality bit of bendable metal for the nose piece. Almost never do my glasses fog.
Thanks, but I don't use washable masks. I only use disposable medical grade masks. I have had recommendations for the Armbrust USA masks but haven't tried them yet.

Ruth

Djokovic did no such thing. He did not deceive anybody. He applied for and was granted an exemption.

If the Australian government's position is now 'we changed our mind', there is still no reason to ban him for five years.
He applied for and was granted an exemption to compete. He never was granted an exception to enter the country.

Well, finally I'm getting my booster shot tomorrow - somewhat late, but it could have been worse.

They tell me it's a Pfizer vaccine (after 2 doses of AZ). Over here, Pfizer's vaccine have been authorized for use up to 90 days after the expiration date (not to throw them away then they expire, perhaps due to mismanagement), and it seems a considerable percentage are indeed expired, though I do not know the actual numbers.
I'm not sure what impact - if any - that would have on effectiveness if I get an expired vaccine. I know many drugs are okay after the expiration date, but I'm not sure for how long that would be for the Pfizer vaccine.
In all probability it's fine. It's a new drug, the shelf life as approved will inherently be short--the problem is that the approval process relies on observations, not theoretical calculations. You want approval for a 6 month shelf life? You have to go put it on a shelf for 6 months and then test if there are still enough active ingredients. Of course Pfizer's initial application had a very short shelf life--it was going to be used quickly and testing longer storage would mean shots sitting in a freezer rather than going into people's arms.

As time has gone on they have tested longer storage times and found the initial numbers were very conservative. I don't know what they're up to by now.

It's flimsy but there's no need of high quality because surgical masks don't seal well anywhere, there's no need for a good seal around the nose.

The people who take masking seriously know about it, but most of them are using the N95 tier masks anyway.

Ruth
Caveat: This is a different kind than I have had before and today was my first day testing them. It had warmed up somewhat and this afternoon, temps were in the low 20's. I wore the new mask as I did several errands, moving in and out of my car several times. There was a tiny bit of fogging but much less than other masks--barely noticeable. (May be due to the weather being warmer). I find the metal strip is long and fits nicely across the bridge of my nose and onto my cheeks. The straps are not elastic but some kind of stretchy material. My husband found that the straps broke when he tried them. I refrained from mentioning his big head. Also, I like how it fits snugly under my chin.

These are not the...sexiest I've found but they were comfortable. I'd prefer ear loops but who am I trying to impress while I do errands anyway? Yes, I got them from Amazon. I do my best but ....

Amazon product ASIN B08NVDFB3R

Last edited:
Well, finally I'm getting my booster shot tomorrow - somewhat late, but it could have been worse.

They tell me it's a Pfizer vaccine (after 2 doses of AZ). Over here, Pfizer's vaccine have been authorized for use up to 90 days after the expiration date (not to throw them away then they expire, perhaps due to mismanagement), and it seems a considerable percentage are indeed expired, though I do not know the actual numbers.
I'm not sure what impact - if any - that would have on effectiveness if I get an expired vaccine. I know many drugs are okay after the expiration date, but I'm not sure for how long that would be for the Pfizer vaccine.
In all probability it's fine. It's a new drug, the shelf life as approved will inherently be short--the problem is that the approval process relies on observations, not theoretical calculations. You want approval for a 6 month shelf life? You have to go put it on a shelf for 6 months and then test if there are still enough active ingredients. Of course Pfizer's initial application had a very short shelf life--it was going to be used quickly and testing longer storage would mean shots sitting in a freezer rather than going into people's arms.

As time has gone on they have tested longer storage times and found the initial numbers were very conservative. I don't know what they're up to by now.
That seems probable from what I read, yes, though in similar cases, expired vaccines were rejected in several other countries (some because they had been thawed out and were useless, but others just because it was the expiry date).

(in the end I did get a Pfizer booster shot, very probably expired since they try to use the expired one first, before they reach their new extended expiration date; no side effects so far, beyond some pain in the arm).

Meanwhile, over here we had 134.439 new confirmed cases in the past 24 hours, but with a positivity rate of 66.7%, so the actual number is probably much higher.

Last edited:

Yeah, I recall our KCl tablets were originally given a two year expiry date, which we later extended to four years, which is the maximum permitted by the TGA.

It's potassium chloride. It will remain therapeutically effective for millions of years. The packaging is waterproof; It's going to be many decades, perhaps centuries, before the tablets lose their physical cohesion.

But the TGA says they must be thrown out, if they were manufactured more than four years ago.

It's potassium chloride. It will remain therapeutically effective for millions of years. The packaging is waterproof; It's going to be many decades, perhaps centuries, before the tablets lose their physical cohesion.

But the TGA says they must be thrown out, if they were manufactured more than four years ago.
8ED46968-6766-46FE-8B40-C965655D6F5A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom