• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Vaccine components are a little more complex and fragile than salt. While it is unlikely that expired vaccines are actually harmful, some components may deteriorate and become less effective over time or if not properly stored. Makers of the various COVID vaccines had very short expiration dates because these are new vaccines. Some are applying to extend expiration dates.

It’s actually illegal to administer expired drugs in the US.

WoM has data that is more live. The other sources I think are more confirmed and delayed. I’d be more likely to trust WoM in general because the measuring stick appears to be the same day to day.

I think if you look at total cases WoM is ahead of John Hopkins.

So, I found this study about pepcid and aspirin being helpful for covid disease progression. Not the virus, but the effects from it.

Can a Heartburn Drug Help Doctors Treat COVID-19?

In the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, doctors in Wuhan, China, noticed something surprising. Many of the elderly patients who survived the virus were poor – not exactly the demographic you would expect to fare well in a health crisis.

A review of the survivors’ medical records revealed that a significant number suffered from chronic heartburn and were taking an inexpensive drug called famotidine, the key ingredient in Pepcid. (Wealthier patients tended to take the more costly drug omeprazole, found in Prilosec.)

Was an over-the-counter acid suppressant helping people survive COVID-19?

This is how many medical studies begin, said biomedical engineering professor Phil Bourne, the founding dean of the University of Virginia’s School of Data Science. “There’s often a phenomenon that doctors report anecdotally, or that’s mentioned in passing in a particular research paper, and that provides a clue – a hook,” he said.
The team’s analysis, which appeared in the journal Signal Transduction & Targeted Therapy in July, showed that the data supported findings from other smaller-scale studies. When delivered at high doses (the equivalent of about 10 Pepcid tablets), famotidine appears to improve the odds of survival for COVID-19 patients, especially when it is combined with aspirin. It also seems to hinder the severity of disease progression, making patients less likely to reach the point where they require intubation or a ventilator.

The next challenge was to figure out why. Data scientists like Mura and Bourne perform extensive detective work for medical analyses like this one, looking at existing information and drawing upon biochemical and molecular principles to propose a cohesive theory that helps elucidate the population-scale patterns they identify.

However, the absolute shrill tenor of the covid issue makes it very hard for people to evaluate this information on its own merits and instead they draw in a whole bunch of contingencies that are not related to it. Like this will lead to people not taking a vaccine and so on. Ignoring areas of the world where there are no vaccines available now.

I will state now that I have gotten two doses of Pfizer and am holding off on the booster since their CEO said an Omicron vaccine will be out around March 2022. But again, this should have no bearing on how a person evaluates me making a decision to have pepcid and aspirin on hand for when/if I contract covid.

People politicizing this are hurting science and medicine. Many of them are on this board.

Oops!

For the majority of the pandemic, Australia's tight borders and stringent lockdowns kept Covid case numbers so low it became the envy of the world - but now the nation is among the most virus-ravaged places on earth. Sitting 9th on the list of countries' cases per 100,000 people, Australia has surpassed the US, the UK and all of South America, as well as Southern Africa where the Omicron strain was first discovered.

Daily Mail

And it is their summertime. huh. There are lots of covid naïve people though and they are just catching up. This is not a moral failing or an I told you so. It is a "just is" situation.

They need to focus on early treatment to prevent the clotting and platelet issues that come even from omicron.

There are solid reports that d-dimer levels are very high from omicron cases. That means that there are lots of clots being made, since d-dimers are from dissolved clots.

This is a very stealth way that omicron and previous versions will fuck a person up. Hard to be directly attributable per person. But statistically it should show up.

So, I found this study about pepcid and aspirin being helpful for covid disease progression. Not the virus, but the effects from it.

Can a Heartburn Drug Help Doctors Treat COVID-19?

In the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, doctors in Wuhan, China, noticed something surprising. Many of the elderly patients who survived the virus were poor – not exactly the demographic you would expect to fare well in a health crisis.

A review of the survivors’ medical records revealed that a significant number suffered from chronic heartburn and were taking an inexpensive drug called famotidine, the key ingredient in Pepcid. (Wealthier patients tended to take the more costly drug omeprazole, found in Prilosec.)

Was an over-the-counter acid suppressant helping people survive COVID-19?

This is how many medical studies begin, said biomedical engineering professor Phil Bourne, the founding dean of the University of Virginia’s School of Data Science. “There’s often a phenomenon that doctors report anecdotally, or that’s mentioned in passing in a particular research paper, and that provides a clue – a hook,” he said.
The team’s analysis, which appeared in the journal Signal Transduction & Targeted Therapy in July, showed that the data supported findings from other smaller-scale studies. When delivered at high doses (the equivalent of about 10 Pepcid tablets), famotidine appears to improve the odds of survival for COVID-19 patients, especially when it is combined with aspirin. It also seems to hinder the severity of disease progression, making patients less likely to reach the point where they require intubation or a ventilator.

The next challenge was to figure out why. Data scientists like Mura and Bourne perform extensive detective work for medical analyses like this one, looking at existing information and drawing upon biochemical and molecular principles to propose a cohesive theory that helps elucidate the population-scale patterns they identify.

However, the absolute shrill tenor of the covid issue makes it very hard for people to evaluate this information on its own merits and instead they draw in a whole bunch of contingencies that are not related to it. Like this will lead to people not taking a vaccine and so on. Ignoring areas of the world where there are no vaccines available now.
Merits? They found that there appears to be a link, they don't know why, and the scales of the studies have been small. So this isn't mainstream accepted science yet.
I will state now that I have gotten two doses of Pfizer and am holding off on the booster since their CEO said an Omicron vaccine will be out around March 2022. But again, this should have no bearing on how a person evaluates me making a decision to have pepcid and aspirin on hand for when/if I contract covid.
Oh don't worry... I'm not letting this post alone settle my judgement of you. There are so many posts that have done that.

Secondly, kind of dumb to not increase your antibodies because someone might have stumbled on a treatment if someone gets the disease to reduce symptoms... when people who are immunized are going to the hospital at 1/10 the rate as those not. I'm not too certain the difference between boosted and unboosted.

People politicizing this are hurting science and medicine. Many of them are on this board.
You have been guilty of that stuff more than most here.

Oops!

For the majority of the pandemic, Australia's tight borders and stringent lockdowns kept Covid case numbers so low it became the envy of the world - but now the nation is among the most virus-ravaged places on earth. Sitting 9th on the list of countries' cases per 100,000 people, Australia has surpassed the US, the UK and all of South America, as well as Southern Africa where the Omicron strain was first discovered.

Daily Mail
"Virus-ravaged". Australia is still the gold standard. Their deaths in the Omicron wave will be nothing remotely as high as our in the Alpha wave.

What brand have you found which works well with glasses?
I use Copperfit masks. Well made with a very fine silk like material on the inside and an outer cloth material. A quality bit of bendable metal for the nose piece. Almost never do my glasses fog.
Thanks, but I don't use washable masks. I only use disposable medical grade masks. I have had recommendations for the Armbrust USA masks but haven't tried them yet.

Ruth

Ruth, there are a few china-made (KN95) masks on the market. I got a pile of them made by the ""Xiang Xing Group" from my former Company back in '20. They have a heavier nose strip, and seal out exhalations pretty well. Still have to pay attention, but one can wear glasses in the cold cold and not get fogged up if you're meticulous about the nose fit.

The “Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance,” one of the leading groups promoting ivermectin, now lists a variety of backup drugs, including the anti-depressant Prozac and the anti-androgens spironolactone and dutasteride.

FLCCC has been recommending the alternative-alternative medications for some months, but the dubious advice went viral this week when Twitter users spotted it on FLCCC’s newly updated treatment plan, and when the FLCCC’s leader appeared on Fox News on Sunday to flog the new treatment.

The FLCCC did not return a request for comment.

Online, the FLCCC’s new recommendations raised eyebrows among people who already take those medications. Like ivermectin, which is used to fight parasitic infections, drugs like prozac are regularly prescribed for non-COVID purposes, like treating depression. But FLCCC’s recommended initial prozac dose of up to 40mg exceeds Mayo Clinic recommendations of just 20mg for most new patients. (The Mayo Clinic does recommend a higher dose for treating bulimia nervosa.) Oversight groups also warn new prozac patients to be on the lookout for potentially severe side effects like suicidal thoughts.

Androgen suppressants, meanwhile, have a variety of uses, including treating hair loss and acne. They are also well known for their use in transgender health care, Media Matters noted after the FLCCC promoted the drugs on Fox News this weekend. The FLCCC recommended COVID patients take 100mg of the anti-androgen spironolactone daily, which is the Mayo Clinic’s recommended starting dose for feminizing hormone therapy. “This blocks male sex hormone (androgen) receptors and can suppress testosterone production,” the Mayo Clinic describes, although higher doses have been described as safe in treating hair loss in cisgender women. A different FLCCC document from October reveals that the group previously recommended 200mg of spironolactone per day, which is the highest starting dose recommended for feminizing hormone therapy.

In “severe” cases, the FLCCC recommends taking spironolactone alongside other anti-androgens, as well as ivermectin and prozac: a cocktail the group calls the “Full Monty.”
Why don't they just cut off their balls and get it over with.

Anti-Vax Leader Urges Followers to Drink Their Own Urine to Fight COVID

Anti-COVID-19 “Vaccine Police” leader Christopher Key has a new quarter-baked conspiracy theory for his anti-vax followers to use to cure themselves of COVID-19: Drink their own urine. “The antidote that we have seen now, and we have tons and tons of research, is urine therapy....“This vaccine is the worst bioweapon I have ever seen,” he concluded. “I drink my own urine!”

What a world. Intelligent people are being silenced so that uneducated people won't be offended.
Still better than Natty Light. Maybe even better with a wedge of lime.

The “Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance,” one of the leading groups promoting ivermectin, now lists a variety of backup drugs, including the anti-depressant Prozac and the anti-androgens spironolactone and dutasteride.

FLCCC has been recommending the alternative-alternative medications for some months, but the dubious advice went viral this week when Twitter users spotted it on FLCCC’s newly updated treatment plan, and when the FLCCC’s leader appeared on Fox News on Sunday to flog the new treatment.

The FLCCC did not return a request for comment.

Online, the FLCCC’s new recommendations raised eyebrows among people who already take those medications. Like ivermectin, which is used to fight parasitic infections, drugs like prozac are regularly prescribed for non-COVID purposes, like treating depression. But FLCCC’s recommended initial prozac dose of up to 40mg exceeds Mayo Clinic recommendations of just 20mg for most new patients. (The Mayo Clinic does recommend a higher dose for treating bulimia nervosa.) Oversight groups also warn new prozac patients to be on the lookout for potentially severe side effects like suicidal thoughts.

Androgen suppressants, meanwhile, have a variety of uses, including treating hair loss and acne. They are also well known for their use in transgender health care, Media Matters noted after the FLCCC promoted the drugs on Fox News this weekend. The FLCCC recommended COVID patients take 100mg of the anti-androgen spironolactone daily, which is the Mayo Clinic’s recommended starting dose for feminizing hormone therapy. “This blocks male sex hormone (androgen) receptors and can suppress testosterone production,” the Mayo Clinic describes, although higher doses have been described as safe in treating hair loss in cisgender women. A different FLCCC document from October reveals that the group previously recommended 200mg of spironolactone per day, which is the highest starting dose recommended for feminizing hormone therapy.

In “severe” cases, the FLCCC recommends taking spironolactone alongside other anti-androgens, as well as ivermectin and prozac: a cocktail the group calls the “Full Monty.”
Why don't they just cut off their balls and get it over with.
see this post

https://iidb.org/threads/covid-19-miscellany.22276/page-28#post-904446

They will be on this drug for a few weeks at most and then can recover their "manliness".

Also this

https://theconversation.com/can-prozac-treat-covid-perhaps-but-a-related-drug-may-be-better-172608

First, human biology is frugal

Biological “frugality” sets the scene. It takes a lot of effort for the body to make a single important molecule and a huge undertaking if you need hundreds of them. So, biology directs important molecules to multi-task.

For example, we all make serotonin by introducing a few changes to the chemical structure of the essential amino acid tryptophan, commonly present in food.

Serotonin is then tasked with being:

• a messenger in the brain
  • a molecule to cause contraction in the gut
  • an inducer of platelet clotting, and
  • a modulator of how blood vessels work, including how they constrict and how they interact with the immune system.

The virus responsible for COVID-19 drives a devastating hyperinflammation in serious disease. This involves many of the systems serotonin strongly regulates – inflammation, platelet clotting and proper functioning of blood vessels.

I talked about clotting in post #5,966 in relation to taking aspirin at the onset of covid infection.

Or people can just do nothing and wait till their lips turn blue before going to the hospital.

I will not pretend like I understand very much at all of the medicine of this, but this is an interesting video about aspirin

The question I humbly ask is, does covid (or our response to it) have another way to get around aspirin and still cause havoc with our platelets?

Last edited:
I will not fully cosign everything that FLCCC does or says and I think they are too ivermectin heavy for not enough of a reason.

I would like to have Marik, Kory and guy named Farid Jalali locked in a conference room for a weekend until they would come to some level of synthesis.

People need to stop seeing others as enemies.

Farid Jalali seems to have an understanding of the effect of covid on platelets down pat.

https://twitter.com/farid__jalali

His presentation

Oops!

Daily Mail

When you compare cases per 100000 people, you should take into consideration number of tests.

https://www.lanacion.com.ar/socieda...-muertes-en-las-ultimas-24-horas-nid12012022/ (in Spanish).

Australia had 80283 cases in the last 24 hours, out of 288897 tests, so it's a positivity rate under 28%, and a population of about 26 million people. Over here, we had 131.082 cases in the past 24 hours out of a population of about 45 million, but with a positivity rate over 66% (and something like that has been going on for days; I consider the past 24 hours to make it simpler). With those numbers, it is almost certain that we're having considerably more actual cases per 100000 people than Australia.

Back
Top Bottom