• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid mortality rate among 79+yos and the Dem Candidates

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
So what happens if everyone drops out but the 75+yos and they get sick and succumb to covid?

Just curious procedurally.

Last edited:
If before the convention, it would resolved there by votes. If after, the DNC will decide how to choose.

I guess it would have to be Covid-19 for president. Not the best dem candidate, but also not the worst.

So what happens if everyone drops out but the 75+yos and they get sick and succumb to covid?

Amy and Pete technically only suspended their campaigns. Serious point: if something calamitous happens in the race, for example Biden dropping out due to a health episode (COVID-related or not), I can definitely see zombie candidates reappearing.

At least there is more than one of them. What happens if the only GoP candidate loses their last and only brain cell with one good sneeze? what ever will they do then?
With the GoP, you have one choice - the choice to obey the One or be demonized and ostracized to HELL!
I'll take Corona over that, thank you very much.

I had a similar question and it’s a serious one:

What if whichever candidate is elected dies before inauguration?

Given the age of the field and the media being bound and determined that the only candidates for the Presidential election will be elderly white men with known (or obvious) serious physical and in Trump’s case, cognitive/mental health issues, this does not sound like too unlikely a possibility.

Amy and Pete technically only suspended their campaigns. Serious point: if something calamitous happens in the race, for example Biden dropping out due to a health episode (COVID-related or not), I can definitely see zombie candidates reappearing.
It's a shrewd move on the part of Pete and Amy. Suspending campaigns saves them from hand shaking and they know how much Joe likes to touch people.

Given the age of the field and the media being bound and determined that the only candidates for the Presidential election will be elderly white men with known (or obvious) serious physical and in Trump’s case, cognitive/mental health issues, this does not sound like too unlikely a possibility.

His/her running mate would be sworn in. But things would get really interesting if both of them die before the Inauguration.

President Pelosi, anyone?

His/her running mate would be sworn in. But things would get really interesting if both of them die before the Inauguration.

President Pelosi, anyone?

I'd take that!

Not yet, she's not.
Pelosi is, as of today, 79.937 years old. I.e. 80 to two significant figures.

She WOULD be 80 by the time she was inaugurated.
On January 21st, 2021, she would be 80.824 years old. So basically 81, not 80. Age is a not a floor function. You age continuously; you do not magically become one year older on your birthday.

But she's a good deal sharper and in much better health than Trump (and Sanders and Biden).
Are you sure about that?
And I do not know why the Democratic Party especially is so enamored of ancient leaders.

Any president elect could die of anything at any time. Are we really going to go nuts worrying about COVID-19 killing off the president elect. Look at the average age of the Congress critters. What if all the old ones die before the new Congress is sworn in? What if some of the young ones die? While they are less likely to die, every year, there are young healthy people who die of influenza.

Plus, most older adults don't all die of these infections. It's less than 20 percent of people in their. 80s who might die. Most will survive. I think we should be more worried about the potential economic impact of this thing, which is quickly reaching pandemic levels. That's the real concern.

Any president elect could die of anything at any time. Are we really going to go nuts worrying about COVID-19 killing off the president elect. Look at the average age of the Congress critters. What if all the old ones die before the new Congress is sworn in? What if some of the young ones die? While they are less likely to die, every year, there are young healthy people who die of influenza.

Plus, most older adults don't all die of these infections. It's less than 20 percent of people in their. 80s who might die. Most will survive. I think we should be more worried about the potential economic impact of this thing, which is quickly reaching pandemic levels. That's the real concern.

Personally, I'm much more worried about senility and psychopathy.

Trump and Biden are both clearly senile. Trump and Bloomberg are both clearly misogynistic psychopaths. Warren is disappointing in her failures of principles, and every other serious Dem dropped out. That leaves Sanders.

Let's be clear though, there are good treatments for Wuhan virus now, and I'm not afraid that Sanders, or any of the other Dems would catch it or even that they would die from it. Between anti-retroviral treatments, low domestic infection rates (at this time), and advancements towards a vaccine that are happening faster than ever before I'm not all that worried. And worries don't do anything to change the realities on the ground: these are our candidates and a decision has to be made. Personally, I think it is pure foolishness to not actually vote for a candidate because of things like health fears when the candidate selects a runningmate, and when we can be fairly confident that the non-senile non-psychopath on the board is likely to pick a runningmate who isn't a douche or a turd sandwich.

OK I filled out my ballot and am on my way to drop it off.
I am not sure about any of the remaining candidates' sincerity, but I think all of them consider themselves well-intended.
So I voted for the person I'd most like to become President without any regard for the likelihood of that actually happening.
There is not one candidate in the field who I can't see losing to Trump/Putin with the DNC's "help".
#SAD

This thread is not about anyone going nuts or worrying too much or getting scared.

It’s a curiosity.

Pelosi is, as of today, 79.937 years old. I.e. 80 to two significant figures.

On January 21st, 2021, she would be 80.824 years old. So basically 81, not 80. Age is a not a floor function. You age continuously; you do not magically become one year older on your birthday.

But she's a good deal sharper and in much better health than Trump (and Sanders and Biden).
Are you sure about that?
And I do not know why the Democratic Party especially is so enamored of ancient leaders.

I’m sure of that, yes. I’m also sure that you’ve read my multiple posts saying that I believe that Sanders, Biden, Bloomberg if you thin he’s relevant and Trump are all too old. Warren is older than I’d like to see running.

But this is not a Democratic phenomenon. Have you looked at Trump and his Cabibet? Republican Leadership?

Back
Top Bottom