• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Cricket... the game, not the insect

US v Netherlands

US won the toss. Taylor out in the 6th over for 26 on 23. US stands at 68-1 in the 7th over. Patel and Taylor are generally the run generators. With Taylor out, it is going to fall heavily on too few players.

ETA: Oh boy, Patel and deLeede fell. 73-3. As Kumar comes up to bat, Netherlands looking for the fork to stick in the US. :(
The winners of those two games are the last two qualifiers for the ICC World Cup, where they'll join UAW
I'm not even certain where they'd hold it in the US.
Detroit?

I figure that’s where most UAW players would be based…

;)
Jebus man, clearly that was a typo! I obviously meant the International Brotherhood of Teamsters. Why do you have to be so nitpicky? :D

110-7 now 15 overs in. Looks like they'll be bowled out and need a miracle to keep the Netherlands from winning.

Netherlands pedestrian in their pace. 115-3 with 5 overs or so remaining. They are in no rush and will see the US to the door.

PNG not completely dead yet, but need about 12 per over in the final quarter to beat Zimbabwe. If it were New Zealand or Australia at bat, there would be reason to worry. Not certain PNG can manage.

2nd ODI between England and South Africa was something. England bowled out in 28 overs for a bit over 200. Presumably setting up a walkover for South Africa's bats. But then they barely squeak out a T20 number of overs... and don't even reach 100! England evens the ODI series.

I find it interesting that it is not easy to ease into T20 or ODI cricket after watching a bunch of Test cricket. Effectively MLB players playing using a Tee verses playing the real game.

CPL is underway. St. Kitts and Nevis are the defending champs... and won the warmup 6ixty (T-10) "tournament". Then got handily dismissed in their first two games. Their outcome improved with their next two matchups though, as they were rained out. They play tomorrow, making it their 5th game in the 10th overall game of the tournament... making one wonder if they forgot to schedule the other teams.

Jamaica and Barbados (two different teams, not like Trinidad and Tobago or St. Kitts and Nevis) are up top with a pair of wins each. Hopefully the weather cooperates and the tournament can continue.

And if you forgot, the third test match between South Africa and England starts in a couple of days. People might have forgotten it was actually going on with both teams winning by an innings in three days in the first two tests.

CPL continues in St. Lucia. The Guyana Amazon Warriors lead out with a pretty good 162/6. St. Kitts and Nevis were again struggling to get partnerships going.

At the end of the 16th Over, they stood at 110/6, needing 53 from 24.
At the end of the 17th Over, they were at 119/6, needing 44 from 18.
At the end of the 18th Over, they were at 125/6, needing 38 from 12. At this point, I'm totally zoning out of the game.

So when the St. Kitts and Nevis Patriots struck a 6 on a no-ball, and won by 4 wickets with 2 balls remaining, I was confused and disoriented. WTF?! *rewind*

They get 16 runs, 14 and 2 wides in the 19th over, still needing 22!

They then go 1 2 6 6 7(NB) and win. :eek:

T20 has a tendency of having big run totals late. It is what makes T10 seem a bit more legit, as in why bother with the first 10 overs if the batsmen are just going to go to town in the last few overs as there is nothing to lose. But this comeback was a bit odder, in that the Patriots just weren't getting it done... again. Once Fletcher was dispatched, they were sputtering with uneven production. And Romario Sheppard wasn't exactly failing when put in to finish the game. 7.0 economy with 2 wickets.

But there you have it, St Kitts and Nevis come off two rainouts with a win.

And England v South Africa test three is reduced to three days because of rain and some old broad dying. Is that enough time to win?

England nearly did it in two, winning by 9 wickets Monday morning. England's cricket team has seen a massive reawakening under the leadership of Stokes. Not always dominant, but a lot more in control than not.

Granted, all of this on home turf.

I was watching videos of Saurav Ganguly batting over the weekend. I think he is the classiest left handed batsmen I have seen play the game. His cover drives are a thing of beauty, all timing, a perfect swing, and the sweet sound of leather on willow followed by a fielder chasing the ball to the boundary. I also like Gilchrist but he didn't have Ganguly's style. Who is your favorite left handed batsman?

US v PNG in the qualify playoff to make it to the qualifier for the ICC World Cup (T50) thing.

As it stands, the US actually are top three and in a good position to make it to the qualifier, where I believe they are scheduled to get pummeled by Sri Lanka, Ireland, Zimbabwe, and Netherlands, and a host of others.

The US in their first match up against PNG. And were blitzed in the beginning, at 18-4. YAK! But then things got better and they finished 205. They were being chased and PNG were 203-7 48.5, with Bau riding a 70 from 95. PNG chasing 205 with 7 balls (3 wickets) remaining... were bowled out at 49.5 for a draw. :noid:

St. Kitts and Nevis have been irregular this CPL tournament. Their final game, they were 84/3 after 16 overs. They finished 163/6. That is absurd even by T20 standards. Rutherford went on a tear of sorts, managing 78. The story of the game though was Brevis who faced 6 balls... and scored 30!

Sheldon Cottrell helped keep Trinbago down in the last over, to win by 7 runs.

Last year's CPL winners need Guyana and Trinbago to lose their remaining games, 2 and 1, respectively, to make the semi's. The tournament has been owned by Barbados who are 8-1. Everyone else is struggling near .500. St. Lucia Kings are probably the sleeper with Johnson Charles having a very good tournament, and if his bat is very hot, he could carry them.

It's T20 World Cup cricket time. Zimbabwe face Ireland today somewhere in Australia where it looked like Cleveland in March/April... not snowy, but cold. No one on Ireland could get anything going past 30 runs. Paul Stirling continues his "I'm not certain why this guy plays on so many teams" performance, going out for a second ball duck. The ultimate undoing, was Raza for Zimbabwe got 82. About the only highlight for Ireland wasn't bowling out, after having a flurry of wickets late in the innings.

The Dutch managed a very tight win against UAE on the second to last ball.

Namibia seemed doomed to a poor performance until the typical 6th wicket out partnership led to a lot of runs with the pair scoring 75 total. Sri Lanka batted like Namibia their entire innings, and consequently lost.

And Willow Extra on Sling looks like they stopped it with the Farsi! I thought I was suffering from a stroke because some words made sense, others didn't... yipes!

India v Pakistan in the Super 12 of the ICC T20 World Cup... everything awesome and dreadfully terrible in the T20 format was exposed in that game. At the end of 17 overs, India is 112-4. 18 balls left and they need 48. That is 16 an over, or how I usually break it down 4 4's an over or about 3 6's an over.

18 overs, 129-4. Need 31 runs on 12 balls. So slight improvement.

19 overs, 144-4. Perfect pace at this sugar coated scoring.

India wins in the end due to bowling errors removing a lot of pressure on the batter. I mean Virat was up to the challenge, but it'd been harder without the errors.

T20's NEEDED ADJUSTMENT

I think T20 needs to shift to a dual inning system. Each team bowls 10 overs, then the second 10 overs. Coin flip winner chooses order for first half, then it flips. T20 like in that game just became a T5 or worse... a T3. If they cut the innings, I think that helps address that. There will be more scoring, but I think the main trouble with T20 (beyond the sugar coated aspect of the game) is that coin tosses matter too darn much, and this cascades into the chase's pace.

I think the main problem with T20 is the 20 overs a side, which is simply not enough to make it interesting. Also, the colored uniforms. Why can't we bring back the white uniforms?

I can easily get into T20 cricket... if there isn't Test Match cricket on-going. The trouble is the game becomes a T5 instead of T20. But that is more interesting to some. There clearly is a market for shorter format cricket. It isn't the pure game, it a completely different one. But even within it's format, ignoring the differences, I still think they need to make a couple adjustments, but T20 was bred in a secret lab in Australia where the Brits used to test Atom Bombs... and it was developed for money and ratings. It is the college football of sorts for Cricket. So I don't imagine splitting the innings, reducing wickets to 6 or so, and getting rid of the ridiculous you aren't allowed to field "power play" is going to happen.

What app/service do you use to watch cricket? I can find highlights on YouTube but not live streaming, and I don't have cable. Not that I have the time, but maybe someday.

What app/service do you use to watch cricket? I can find highlights on YouTube but not live streaming, and I don't have cable. Not that I have the time, but maybe someday.
Willow is the main source, you can stream on the computer, Roku, FireTv. There is a catch though. You can sub for $60 a year or $10 a month, they cover a lot of cricket stuff, England, Australia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan being the main ones (test, ODI, T20), among other stuff.

ESPN+ has the streaming rights IPL and the T20 World Cup, though, which means you need to subscribe to Willow through a TV service* in order to watch those.

*SlingTV exists as a IPTV service where you can just subscribe to Willow through them and stream it, monthly or annually. But you can't stream outside of Sling on the Willow.tv service. So Roku or FireTV, you can stream, but it only through the Sling channel. Willow typically provides some access or code to get a deal with Sling during the IPL or apparently the World Cup this year.

I had been doing Willow directly through Willow, but wanted to catch the T20 World Cup, and my Willow annual subscription was running out anyway, so I switched a year via Sling, I think Sling has more commercials, though I imagine there are more commercials for the World Cup, so it might not be as bad for the other stuff.

Latest ICC World Cup results.

New Zealand v Afghanistan - 5 inches
Ireland v England - 2.25 inches
South Africa v Zimbabwe - 1.75 inches

Getting behind. Zimbabwe v Pakistan was everything that was right with Cricket. The bowling against Pakistan in the final 10 overs was critical. Pakistan started slow, then jump started and headed for victory, then two wickets... and it was really a long slow burn onside kick (NFL analogy) the rest of the way. Then Zimbabwe v Bangladesh was almost everything that was wrong with T20 cricket, with Zimbabwe almost stealing it at the end.

I don't know... you have these great teams... and then the second tier, which is almost fluff. Why don't they stick with the top 8... and play each other twice. While it'd lead to fewer teams participating, and maybe cause a bit of trouble for keeping the sport alive, it'd make the tournament a tad fairer, especially in light of games being cancelled for rain. Possibly five team groups, 8 games and the top places face each other for the glory.

And can someone explain the low attendances. India appears to sell out, but the Aussies played a game and it wasn't even half filled. Is this a pandemic thing or are Aussies mixed on caring about T20?

Getting behind. Zimbabwe v Pakistan was everything that was right with Cricket. The bowling against Pakistan in the final 10 overs was critical. Pakistan started slow, then jump started and headed for victory, then two wickets... and it was really a long slow burn onside kick (NFL analogy) the rest of the way. Then Zimbabwe v Bangladesh was almost everything that was wrong with T20 cricket, with Zimbabwe almost stealing it at the end.

I don't know... you have these great teams... and then the second tier, which is almost fluff. Why don't they stick with the top 8... and play each other twice. While it'd lead to fewer teams participating, and maybe cause a bit of trouble for keeping the sport alive, it'd make the tournament a tad fairer, especially in light of games being cancelled for rain. Possibly five team groups, 8 games and the top places face each other for the glory.

And can someone explain the low attendances. India appears to sell out, but the Aussies played a game and it wasn't even half filled. Is this a pandemic thing or are Aussies mixed on caring about T20?
The Perth game started at 7pm West Australian time. Finishing a match at ~10:30pm on a weeknight during school term was never a good way to attract large crowds.

South Africa gets stunned by Netherlands, which puts Bangladesh and Pakistan (who themselves lost to Zimbabwe) in a position to steal a spot into the semis. Bangladesh got burned on a review where the ball appeared to hit Shakib's bat before the wickets, but was called out nonetheless. Shakib was their last really big batter, and that helped keep the Bangladesh total relatively low. Pakistan was then able to comfortably see out that total and take the win, putting them into the semi-finals, a place that didn't seem unlikely before the tournament started, but seemed very unlikely on Friday.

England, India, New Zealand, and Pakistan face off as the final four to determine the winner. Honestly, with the rain, it'd make more sense to round robin this to a top two, and then play a final, but no one listens to me. Imagine it... with a four team final group, NRR would be unbelievably important, and teams would need to bat hard, but smart due to the likelihood of a tiebreaker... instead of the prevent offense, slowly, but surely working to a final score.

Back
Top Bottom