• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Criminal hacker group claims to have Trump documents, asks for $42M in ransom

Axulus

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Right leaning skeptic
A gang of cybercriminals claimed in a post to the dark web on Friday that it had obtained documents on President Trump, and is threatening to release them and other hacked documents unless it receives a $42 million ransom.

According to Variety, which has seen the dark web post, the criminal group hacked the major entertainment law firm Grubman Shire Meiselas & Sacks and obtained a trove of documents on Trump, Lady Gaga, Madonna, Nicki Minaj, Bruce Springsteen, Mary J. Blige, Ella Mai, Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey.

The hackers are using ransomware attacks in which they lock up a network and demand payment to return access to systems and documents.

“The next person we'll be publishing is Donald Trump. There's an election race going on, and we found a ton of dirty laundry,” the group's post reportedly said, including a one-week deadline. “And to you voters, we can let you know that after such a publication, you certainly don't want to see him as president.”

Really curious to see how this turns out. Just an empty bluff, or do they really have the goods?

If it isn't bullshit, it's downright idiotic. Who would fork out $42 million to protect secrets in an election year? It could be any politician. "Give us $7.50 or we will release everything we have on Katie Porter." The payoff is more damaging than any reveal.

But my money is that it's bullshit.

EDIT: Here's an article about it all

If it isn't bullshit, it's downright idiotic. Who would fork out $42 million to protect secrets in an election year? It could be any politician. "Give us $7.50 or we will release everything we have on Katie Porter." The payoff is more damaging than any reveal.

Dirt on Donald isn't worth 42 cents. It's laying around in vast piles everywhere, and makes zero difference to his drooling followers.

Dirt on Donald isn't worth 42 cents. It's laying around in vast piles everywhere, and makes zero difference to his drooling followers.

Yeah, it would have to be about the babyque he attended to faze the bottom 40.

"Faze"? Babyque would become all the rage among the trumpanzee crowd.

"Faze"? Babyque would become all the rage among the trumpanzee crowd.
My ENTIRE life, a measure of manliness among my relatives was how rare you took your steak. Ideally, it should just be flame-kissed, and bloody enough a good vet could have saved it. 'Wipe its butt off and plate it,' they tell the waitress.
But Trump takes his steak well beyond done, now my uncles tell the waiter to 'Cook it like you're destroying evidence!'

If it's financials that could put him behind bars it's worth a lot.

A gang of cybercriminals claimed in a post to the dark web on Friday that it had obtained documents on President Trump, and is threatening to release them and other hacked documents unless it receives a $42 million ransom.

According to Variety, which has seen the dark web post, the criminal group hacked the major entertainment law firm Grubman Shire Meiselas & Sacks and obtained a trove of documents on Trump, Lady Gaga, Madonna, Nicki Minaj, Bruce Springsteen, Mary J. Blige, Ella Mai, Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey.

The hackers are using ransomware attacks in which they lock up a network and demand payment to return access to systems and documents.

“The next person we'll be publishing is Donald Trump. There's an election race going on, and we found a ton of dirty laundry,” the group's post reportedly said, including a one-week deadline. “And to you voters, we can let you know that after such a publication, you certainly don't want to see him as president.”

Really curious to see how this turns out. Just an empty bluff, or do they really have the goods?
What goods could they possibly have that'd make a difference.

Well I was good with the obstruction of justice, firing of Comey, shakedown of the Ukrainian President, the University fraud, the sexual assault accusations, and the 100,000 plus dead Americans in an awful ... but that tax record is a bridge too far.

No, it's not worth squat.
There's plenty to put him behind bars for already. Toadie Barr isn't going to let ANYTHING go forward as long as he is AG, unless it's about vilifying Democrats.

Considering the fact that they are facing life imprisonment from an administration well-known for holding a grudge, an intelligence apparatus that can track just about anything and anyone in cyberspace and mariana trench depths of revenge, if it isn't legit then these are the stupidest hackers in history.

if I had 42 million dollars in liquid assets, I would pay them off on the blockchain, along with sending a private request that they release the info anyway while also stating that their demand was paid, and the block chain transaction data to prove it, because "now we have the money, and seriously, fuck that turd".

Because seriously, fuck that turd.

Hold on here. Mr. Trump says he is a billionaire, so 42 million is chump change to him and his toadies.

Hold on here. Mr. Trump says he is a billionaire, so 42 million is chump change to him and his toadies.

He thinks being a billion in debt makes him a billionaire - and he is right about that, except the consequences for being a billionaire that way vary immensely depending on who you owe the money to. In this case, it's Putin's oligarch proxies who co-signed his DeutschBank loans. Those guys might not want to simply pay off some hackers without extracting still more from the PINO.

I can't think of what more they might want though - he's done everything they could possible ask so far. He is like a terrified little child under direct threat from say, the monster under the bed.

Can it be used as evidence if obtained in such a manner? I wonder if it would be considered an unlawful means of procurement.

Yes and no.

The evidence can't be used because the chain of custody is corrupt--there's no proof it's not been tampered with.

However, the fruit of the poisoned tree only applies to the police--the hackers obtaining it by improper means doesn't limit the police. The police can simply go serve a search warrant on them for the same documents.

He thinks being a billion in debt makes him a billionaire

Well, that's how it works! :)

I got reward points on a credit card for the purchase of some air tickets. The flight didn't fly because of the pandemic, they were refunded--and I got the same number of points on the refund!

if I had 42 million dollars in liquid assets, I would pay them off on the blockchain, along with sending a private request that they release the info anyway while also stating that their demand was paid, and the block chain transaction data to prove it, because "now we have the money, and seriously, fuck that turd".

Because seriously, fuck that turd.

You would?

And what makes you think they wouldn't also publish your private message showing you betrayed your clients?

I can scarcely imagine any document that would be worth $42m to me to keep secret, even if I had $42m.

At most that would be some embarrassing crap, anything 100% criminal is unlikely because someone in the government would have acted on it just to save his/her own ass.

Back
Top Bottom