• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

D.C. Mayor renames street in front of White House "Black Lives Matter Plaza"

People really need to be aware of the consequences of doing stuff like this. What if someday, some extreme radical offshoot of BLM does some real stupid shit, like blowing up a federal building a la Timothy McVeigh and killing hundreds?
An offshoot. That's hilarious. So, NOT the main body of, nor the published goals of the actual organization, who will be able to at least disassociate BLM-Main from BLM-Offboom?
Meanwhile, people swear their celebration of their heritage and pride is not at all connected to treason, murder, slavery...

People really need to be aware of the consequences of doing stuff like this. What if someday, some extreme radical offshoot of BLM does some real stupid shit, like blowing up a federal building a la Timothy McVeigh and killing hundreds?
An offshoot. That's hilarious. So, NOT the main body of, nor the published goals of the actual organization, who will be able to at least disassociate BLM-Main from BLM-Offboom?
Meanwhile, people swear their celebration of their heritage and pride is not at all connected to treason, murder, slavery...

Doesn't really matter whether Main-BLM disavows the radical offshoot or not. In the eyes of the uninformed public, they're the same. Think about the guy who shot all those police officers in Dallas a few years ago at a rally. He was a rogue, not an official BLM, but I'll bet most people never heard that, or refuse to believe it.

People really need to be aware of the consequences of doing stuff like this. What if someday, some extreme radical offshoot of BLM does some real stupid shit, like blowing up a federal building a la Timothy McVeigh and killing hundreds? I imagine those who thought it was a good idea to call their local school "Bill Cosby Elementary School" are probably having second thoughts about that.

It’s not on a promotional ball cap or t-shirt. It’s at the entrance to the White House. It is all about the statement not the organization. It is a statement not only that black lives matter but also a statement for the world to see that the US Constitution still holds strong and a big fuck you to Our Nation’s Shame.

People really need to be aware of the consequences of doing stuff like this. What if someday, some extreme radical offshoot of BLM does some real stupid shit, like blowing up a federal building a la Timothy McVeigh and killing hundreds? I imagine those who thought it was a good idea to call their local school "Bill Cosby Elementary School" are probably having second thoughts about that.

It’s not on a promotional ball cap or t-shirt. It’s at the entrance to the White House. It is all about the statement not the organization. It is a statement not only that black lives matter but also a statement for the world to see that the US Constitution still holds strong and a big fuck you to Our Nation’s Shame.

Perhaps it is meant to be in reference to the statement, and not the organization. But is there evidence for that? If so, let's see it. I have a feeling BLM the organization may see it as both. Regardless, as I said earlier, its the public perception that's important, not necessarily the reality. If BLM ever evolves or splinters off into some total violent nutbag organization over the years, and the name gets tainted, the street name is going to get really problematic. Its like these idiots who get their girlfriend/boyfriend's name tatooed across their chest after dating for a few weeks. They're obviously not thinking it through.

Wow. That's a scary thought.
It could be almost one-one thousandth as deadly as the COVFEFE virus that we have totally forgotten about despite the fact that it is still killing hundreds of Americans every day of the week, week in and week out.
MAGA!

It could be almost one-one thousandth as deadly as the COVFEFE virus that we have totally forgotten about despite the fact that it is still killing hundreds of Americans every day of the week, week in and week out.
MAGA!

Eh, kinda of a weak whataboutism there. Some terrorist could blow up a city of 10,000 with a stolen nuclear bomb. Doesn't mean we should blow it off just because its only 1/10 of the death toll from the "COVFEFE virus".

Dude, you really need to seek treatment for your TDS. But, I agree with you about everyone abandoning the COVID-19 precautions, particularly with many thousands taking to the streets in close proximity in the last few days. WTF?! Are these anarchists even sanitizing their hammers and Molotov cocktails before distributing them around to their fellow rioters? Don't they know that people can get sick or even die of the coronavirus from their recklessness?

Doesn't really matter whether Main-BLM disavows the radical offshoot or not. In the eyes of the uninformed public, they're the same. Think about the guy who shot all those police officers in Dallas a few years ago at a rally. He was a rogue, not an official BLM, but I'll bet most people never heard that, or refuse to believe it.
So, fear of possible extremists, and catering to the mouth-breathing ignorant, should inform any decision to support a group, cause, or idea, and put a pause on it?
Then no one should risk supporting any political party, the NRA, any religion, animal rights, any historical figure, any sports team, any celebrity, or any TV show, if someone can maybe some day discover or make something intolerable of the issue, or maybe go right off their nut and blow up an Amazon delivery drone in the crazed name of (fill in topic here).
I've seen this type of humor done better.
Paranoid lawyers start by advising not to endorse some political candidate becayse X in his record, then worrying about the possible public response to items in the itinerary, then the backlash over breakfast choices, finally they cannot allow their client to leave the house because whether he leads with his left foot or right foot going out the door, someone might possibly be offended.

Or, we can do what we think is the right thing, right now, and if there's an issue later, try to do the right thing THEN.

Yabut ... look at who is complaining about it loudest: trumpsuckers
You can't expect the feeble minded followers of Agent Orange to get anything but terminally confused if something of the color of traffic indicators comes into their field of view without simple instructions on how to respond. This could tie up traffic for hours.

You really think someone is going to get confused driving down the street???

They get confused very easily.

1) I'm no trumpsucker.

2) I'm only objecting to them doing it in yellow, not to the basic idea. The road surface should only have markings that are important to drivers. Use information blue! (I think navigation green would be a bit too dark.)

MAGA!

Eh, kinda of a weak whataboutism there. Some terrorist could blow up a city of 10,000 with a stolen nuclear bomb. Doesn't mean we should blow it off just because its only 1/10 of the death toll from the "COVFEFE virus".

Dude, you really need to seek treatment for your TDS. But, I agree with you about everyone abandoning the COVID-19 precautions, particularly with many thousands taking to the streets in close proximity in the last few days. WTF?! Are these anarchists even sanitizing their hammers and Molotov cocktails before distributing them around to their fellow rioters? Don't they know that people can get sick or even die of the coronavirus from their recklessness?

Bad grammar for the sake of fallacious reasoning: what is the grammatical antecedent of "these"?

Cultural Revolution 2.0: 'Andingmen Inner Street became "Great Leap Forward Road", Taijichang Street became the "Road for Eternal Revolution", Dongjiaominxiang was renamed "Anti-Imperialist Road", Beihai Park was renamed "Worker-Peasant-Soldier Park" ..'

Probably the name has already been changed.

This is a major league trolling of our hypersensitive human shitpost.

Cultural Revolution 2.0: 'Andingmen Inner Street became "Great Leap Forward Road", Taijichang Street became the "Road for Eternal Revolution", Dongjiaominxiang was renamed "Anti-Imperialist Road", Beihai Park was renamed "Worker-Peasant-Soldier Park" ..'
Real intellectuals know that the only thing preventing communism from distributing rough abrasive toilet paper to freedom loving capitalist tushies is the lack of street names associated with political movements. :slowclap:

Stupid political stunt! Don't paint messages on roads in colors normally used for traffic indications!

That was my first reaction too. I don't mind about the street name but the street painting was chosen poorly.

It's OK to confront stupid with stupid when making a point.

It's called Mirroring... when done right. It's the professional way of saying "This is you..".

But this wasn't that... This was just a stupid name put in a stupid place in a particularly stupid way to piss off an extremely stupid person. Not the same thing.

It's called Mirroring... when done right. It's the professional way of saying "This is you..".

But this wasn't that... This was just a stupid name put in a stupid place in a particularly stupid way to piss off an extremely stupid person. Not the same thing.

That's not the way I see it. This isn't the DC mayor attempting to instruct Trump on the stupidity of his actions. Trump is fully cognizant of what he's doing. And so are his supporters I might add. It was a direct response to his assault on the rights of the protesters with tear gas and physical force. As the Minneapolis police chief said in his comments about the necessity of withdrawing from contract negotiations with the police union. "Race is inextricably a part of the American policing system. We will never evolve in this profession if we do not address it head on." "Black Lives Matter" emblazoned on the boulevard across from the White House where a rally supporting BLM was put down was probably the most effective way available to respond to Trump's childish outburst. Doing less would have been surrendering the high ground.

And then as if out of nowhere Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley issues a formal apology -
"I should not have been there. My presence in that moment and in that environment created a perception of the military involved in domestic politics. As a commissioned uniformed officer, it was a mistake that I have learned from, and I sincerely hope we all can learn from it," he added.

Milley also said that he was "outraged" by the killing of George Floyd and added that the protests it sparked spoke to "centuries of injustice toward African Americans."

The comments mark an extraordinary moment of America's top general apologizing for an appearance with his commander in chief, and doing so while speaking to a group of future military officers and leaders.

Or as the abolitionist minister Theodore Parker said in 1853: “I do not pretend to understand the moral universe. The arc is a long one."

Well, this has me feeling rather nonplussed.

HERO: Bevelyn Beatty Paints Over TWO More Black Lives Matter Murals Hours After Being Released By NYPD

After being arrested on Saturday afternoon for painting over the state-sanctioned Black Lives Matter mural outside Trump Tower in New York City, Bevelyn Beatty and her friends made late night visits to paint over the street lettering in Brooklyn and Harlem.
The intensely brave women did not back down when confronted by people who were hostile to their efforts.

Her reason for this can be found here. Buckle up. Apparently cops are leaving New York in droves and Shake Shack is poisoning Law Enforcement Officers.

Close enough for government work! :D

Back
Top Bottom