• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Daily Beast sez Glen Beck has COVID again

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
Beck said it’s in his lungs but his doctors are working really hard giving him dewormer and malaria meds.

It’s never acceptable to mock people for getting sick, regardless of their vaccination status

How about mocking them for being loud mouthed morons? Is that okay?

Beck said it’s in his lungs but his doctors are working really hard giving him dewormer and malaria meds.

It’s never acceptable to mock people for getting sick, regardless of their vaccination status

How about mocking them for being loud mouthed morons? Is that okay?
And racist pricks.

So the third named medicine was fluvoxamine which does not have a controversy surrounding it. As if medicines should have that, but whatever.

So, for places that are not able to have vaccines yet or for breakthrough infections of people with high hazards and Beck is in that category regardless of vaccination status (and he may be lying about it because he is a con man - hack the state vaccinee database and he may show up) I think fluvoxamine should be prescribable by all doctors.

Ontario has it on the official list, but why given the study from The Lancet below that does it need to be on an official list for a doctor to feel safe in his job prescribing it? Time is a wasting and waiting for agencies to give the green light will leave more deaths and severe bouts of covid.

https://covid19-sciencetable.ca/sci...hat-prescribers-and-pharmacists-need-to-know/

This is from The Lancet:

Effect of early treatment with fluvoxamine on risk of emergency care and hospitalisation among patients with COVID-19: the TOGETHER randomised, platform clinical trial

https://www.asbmb.org/asbmb-today/science/120421/fluvoxamine-and-covid

https://www.businessinsider.com/glenn-beck-has-covid-19-again-getting-into-lungs-2022-1

To quote the great Dr. Fauci......"What a moron......Jesus Christ".

Okay. He was referring to a different moron but there are so many in the Republican Party these days, that it's hard to keep up with them.
I knew he was a moron or a con, or both, years ago when I found out that as a mature American adult in the late 20th century he converted from Roman Catholicism (the religion he was born into) to Mormonism. From a fantasy that at least has the weight of tradition, of major thinkers, and a book with some passages of literary heft behind it, to a jimcrack fantasy that is new 'n nutty and based on a lightweight pulpy book.

https://www.businessinsider.com/glenn-beck-has-covid-19-again-getting-into-lungs-2022-1

To quote the great Dr. Fauci......"What a moron......Jesus Christ".

Okay. He was referring to a different moron but there are so many in the Republican Party these days, that it's hard to keep up with them.
I knew he was a moron or a con, or both, years ago when I found out that as a mature American adult in the late 20th century he converted from Roman Catholicism (the religion he was born into) to Mormonism. From a fantasy that at least has the weight of tradition, of major thinkers, and a book with some passages of literary heft behind it, to a jimcrack fantasy that is new 'n nutty and based on a lightweight pulpy book.

The difference between wearing an aluminum cooking pot on your head vs just light weight tinfoil?

So the third named medicine was fluvoxamine which does not have a controversy surrounding it. As if medicines should have that, but whatever.

That medicine is for OCD, depression, and panic attacks. "Controversy" could easily be created there by meming the shit out of this because Beck definitely looks mentally ill when he starts making those conspiracy maps on his chalkboard:

1123454266-beck-oligarhy.jpg

BUT, let's take a step back, there's a study published in The Lancet where they tried to throw a whole bunch of these medicines in concert at covid and results were better than placebo. Not super duper good, but somewhat effective. None of which means that vaccination is bad or redundant. It's better to be preventive than reactive, just like it's better to diet and exercise than say "Doctors can probably fix my heart after I have a heart attack from having bad eating habits."

Moreover, the right-wing opposition to vaccination is largely just partisan and political, though, they've come up with a religious trick to try to justify their politics by saying things about how aborted fetuses were once used to make cell lines that generations later were used in testing or some other part of the development process. That is very contradictory because the same thing could be said over a gazillion other medicines they never complained about taking like aspirin, Tylenol, pepto bismol, preparation H. And guess what else??

Here is a study evaluating the the cytotoxicity of Hydroxychloroquine. From the study:
Upon hypoxia, the cytotoxicity tends to increase upon HCQ treatment in HEK293 and H9C2 and CQ treatment in Hep3B and H9C2, which indicates it is more sensitive to oxygen concentration.

Emphasis added. HEK293 is one of those cell lines that these people claim to be against using in research:
Human embryonic kidney 293 cells, also often referred to as HEK 293, HEK-293, 293 cells, or less precisely as HEK cells, are a specific immortalised cell line derived from a spontaneously miscarried or aborted fetus or human embryonic kidney cells grown in tissue culture taken from a female fetus in 1973.[1][2]

So just like the pfizer vaccine used modern cell lines originally derived from fetal cell lines from 1970's, 1980's, in its R&D phases for covid-19, so did HCQ also use such cell lines in R&D for covid purposes.

We knew this was all bullshit.

This is a merry go round from hell and we all need to get off.

Using the fact that there is a decent, but far from certain, medication for covid patients to not get a vaccine is foolish.

On the other hand, wanting to downplay the effectiveness of fluvoxamine or even wanting to deny it to people who are not vaccinated as a way to spite them is what some people are doing. This has corrosive effects for trust in the vaccine and a misplaced excessive faith in fluvoxamine in a certain subset. The vaccine is pretty good stuff and so is fluvoxamine to a lesser and more risky degree.

Using the main use for long term administration of fluvoxamine to smear its short term emergency coincidental use is really beneath you.
Do you just care about winning arguments on the internet? Are you mental health shaming? Not asking sarcastically.

Is there a part of you, Don, that doesn't want fluvoxamine to have a strong positive effect on Glenn Beck?

That medicine is for OCD, depression, and panic attacks. "Controversy" could easily be created there by meming the shit out of this because Beck definitely looks mentally ill when he starts making those conspiracy maps on his chalkboard:

1123454266-beck-oligarhy.jpg

BUT, let's take a step back, there's a study published in The Lancet where they tried to throw a whole bunch of these medicines in concert at covid and results were better than placebo. Not super duper good, but somewhat effective. None of which means that vaccination is bad or redundant. It's better to be preventive than reactive, just like it's better to diet and exercise than say "Doctors can probably fix my heart after I have a heart attack from having bad eating habits."

Moreover, the right-wing opposition to vaccination is largely just partisan and political, though, they've come up with a religious trick to try to justify their politics by saying things about how aborted fetuses were once used to make cell lines that generations later were used in testing or some other part of the development process. That is very contradictory because the same thing could be said over a gazillion other medicines they never complained about taking like aspirin, Tylenol, pepto bismol, preparation H. And guess what else??

Here is a study evaluating the the cytotoxicity of Hydroxychloroquine. From the study:
Upon hypoxia, the cytotoxicity tends to increase upon HCQ treatment in HEK293 and H9C2 and CQ treatment in Hep3B and H9C2, which indicates it is more sensitive to oxygen concentration.

Emphasis added. HEK293 is one of those cell lines that these people claim to be against using in research:
Human embryonic kidney 293 cells, also often referred to as HEK 293, HEK-293, 293 cells, or less precisely as HEK cells, are a specific immortalised cell line derived from a spontaneously miscarried or aborted fetus or human embryonic kidney cells grown in tissue culture taken from a female fetus in 1973.[1][2]

So just like the pfizer vaccine used modern cell lines originally derived from fetal cell lines from 1970's, 1980's, in its R&D phases for covid-19, so did HCQ also use such cell lines in R&D for covid purposes.

We knew this was all bullshit.
Some of us knew it was all bullshit. The rest didn't care as long as it fit the narrative. Then when called out, try to make it appear as if we're ALL being irrational and ill informed and it should just all stop right now.

This is a merry go round from hell and we all need to get off.

The merry-go-round isn't the goal. Coup is the goal. Propaganda --> mind control --> national control. People need to think critically and call these dangerous propagandists like Glenn Beck out.

Using the fact that there is a decent, but far from certain, medication for covid patients to not get a vaccine is foolish.

Indeed and it isn't an either/or question because vaccination is for prevention and to reduce the pandemic itself, while reactive expensive treatments like these other things are for individuals who get it until we have something even better for treatment. The dichotomy isn't merely prevention vs treatment, because we are not just trying to prevent an individual occurrence but a whole societal occurrence. Glenn Beck is not a mere irresponsible turd either. He's a bullshit artist, creating problems for freedom in the country because he's supporting a propaganda war that will lead to a right-wing takeover.

On the other hand, wanting to downplay the effectiveness of fluvoxamine or even wanting to deny it to people who are not vaccinated as a way to spite them is what some people are doing.

I don't know who is doing that or why, but it's probably not proven yet. I mean a study showing population correlation doesn't prove a biological mechanism or give data on issues of that dosage if it's different than for mental health. For all I know, people who take it start getting more rational and as such start leading more productive, healthy, sanitary lives, start taking their other medicines more regularly, not hiding them from nurses, though I doubt that's what is going on.

Of course, The Lancet study wasn't done on omicron either which is a bit different. Vaccinations are showing to be effective with omicron but far less effective, especially since people took them a while ago. There's no updated info for the other experimental treatments.

This has corrosive effects for trust in the vaccine and a misplaced excessive faith in fluvoxamine in a certain subset. The vaccine is pretty good stuff and so is fluvoxamine to a lesser and more risky degree.

Okay, but it's again not a strict separation of this or that. People ought to get vaccinated. Their newly declared, out-of-the-blue declaration for being anti-vax is a bullshit lie because the same criticisms could have been lodged against HCQ.

and guess what else?

Fluvoxamine also used embryonic cell lines in its R&D, just like the Pfizer vaccine.

Using the main use for long term administration of fluvoxamine to smear its short term emergency coincidental use is really beneath you.

Well, maybe, which is why I haven't done it, but then again, it's not proved effective against omicron variant, and my greater point has been the hypocrisy, not counter-spreading propaganda.

Do you just care about winning arguments on the internet? Are you mental health shaming? Not asking sarcastically.

Is there a part of you, Don, that doesn't want fluvoxamine to have a strong positive effect on Glenn Beck?

Yes and no.

I honestly wouldn't mind if he died at his own hands because (1) it would be his own fault and (2) it would save lives. I might feel bad for his family but the adults among them should have told him to knock off his bullshitting a long time ago, too.

If the medicine started to work for his mental illness, if he has it, you might think that would be good for him and then society, but unfortunately mental illness is not the end of his problems, if he has it--there is a giant problem with being a con artist, that would still be there and if he were mentally competent, on some level he might be even more dangerous in helping the inevitable fascist coup takeover of the country.

This is from the Lancet paper

The underlying mechanism of fluvoxamine for COVID-19 disease remains uncertain. Although hypotheses include several potential mechanisms,the main reason for the initial study of fluvoxamine as a treatment of COVID-19 was its anti-inflammatory action through activation of the S1R. S1R is an endoplasmic reticulum (ER) chaperone membrane protein involved in many cellular functions, including regulation of ER stress response–unfolded protein response and regulation of cytokine production in response to inflammatory triggers. In the presence of fluvoxamine, S1R might prevent the ER stress sensor inositol-requiring enzyme 1α from splicing and activating the mRNA of X-box protein 1, a key regulator of cytokine production including interleukins IL-6, IL-8, IL-1β, and IL-12. In a 2019 study by Rosen and colleagues, fluvoxamine showed benefit in preclinical models of inflammation and sepsis through this mechanism.

A second mechanism might be fluvoxamine's antiplatelet activity. SSRIs can prevent loading of serotonin into platelets and inhibit platelet activation, which might reduce the risk of thrombosis, and these antiplatelet effects can be cardioprotective. Finally, another potential mechanism of action might be related to the effect of fluvoxamine in increasing plasma levels of melatonin. In vitro and animal studies are needed to help clarify the most probable mechanism(s). Biomarker studies included as part of future randomised controlled trials might also help to clarify mechanisms.

But, just my two cents about this and how people may abuse a good drug. Would they get hold of fluvoxamine (or possibly fake stuff online) before infected, take too much of chronically and then get infected. Then maybe have tolerance so the positive effects of it would be greatly blunted. In the meantime not have gotten a vaccine.

This is all terrible stuff, but still not a reason to say fluvoxamine is a bad drug for covid.

In fact by delaying doctors having some latitude to prescribe it for at risk patients, people want to get it online despite risks of poor quality.

I said before that Beck is scum and probably lied about not being vaccinated and justifies that somehow in his mental chalkboard.

Conservative radio host Glenn Beck is not doing well in his struggle with COVID-19, according to the Daily Beast. However, Beck made it clear that he's using the medication known as ivermectin, which has not been proven to be an effective treatment.

"I am great, Mark. I am great, Mark," Beck told Mark Levin. "Despite having COVID and seeing the destruction of our country," he added.

"Do you have COVID right now?" Levin asked.

"Yeah, I do," Beck responded, adding, "It's [COVID-19] starting to go into my lungs today and a little disturbing. I'm on all the medications and treatments and everything else, so."

I saw that he had a show yesterday and looked sort of rough and had a moderately rough voice.

But when covid hit some people hard it was (still is?) usually about 7-9 days after first symptoms after they thought they were recovering.

I saw that he had a show yesterday and looked sort of rough and had a moderately rough voice.

But when covid hit some people hard it was (still is?) usually about 7-9 days after first symptoms after they thought they were recovering.
Was he doing the show by himself or infecting his employees?

Pretty certain you knew the answer before you asked the question.

Going to his youtube channel you can see the videos uploaded by date - but not sure if uploaded the same day as broadcast. His last in studio broadcast before going remote was January 5th then from the 6th to the 17th he seemed to be working remotely and on the 18th he is in back in studio and looks to be be maybe 8-10 feet away from others who are not in the same shot as him.

Now you might take the tack of criticizing him for not coming back after 5 days which is the new CDC guidance if you want to just attack him for partisan reasons.

But honestly, Beck knows that if he came back too early (while it would make some of his base happy) and if he got someone sick it would probably hurt his sponsorships down the road.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom