• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Daunte Wright shot with Taser. And by "taser," I mean, "Gun."

I wonder why 12 jurors thought differently.
Well, most jurors are idiots. And the trial was very politicized.

No, probably because Ms. Potter was convicted on higher charges.
Noor was convicted of higher charges, but the partisan MN Supreme Court nullified the 3rd degree murder charge.
As I said, racial politics. What Noor did was much worse than what Potter did. But the five Democrats on the MN court will hardly lift a finger to help her out like they did with Noor.

That remains to be seen. Of course, Colorado and Minnesota are different states with different laws and sentences, so it is illogical to compare the two.
It's not about different laws in different states. It's about politics. The governor of Colorado is being pressured (by racial groups) to commute the trucker boy's sentence to "time served".

I hope the members of the community are happy about whoever replaces Potter.
I doubt that they will. Would anyone like Potter take a job there?

Hennepin County leadership is very anti-police.
I do agree that all this will harm police recruitment. Hell, if I was a white cop there, I'd quit before they find a way to throw me under the bus.

But the community is also unlikely to accept no replacement. The Daunte Wrights will still be out there. Getting rid of Potter doesn't change that.
Tom
The leadership of Minneapolis metro area is apparently fine with thugs like Wright. The Brooklyn Center mayor (K-Mart Tiger Woods) even prohibited police from stopping people on most traffic violations because he doesn't want them stopping black people with outstanding warrants like Wright.

I wonder why 12 jurors thought differently.
Well, most jurors are idiots. And the trial was very politicized.
Your unsupported opinion is duly noted.
No, probably because Ms. Potter was convicted on higher charges.
Noor was convicted of higher charges, but the partisan MN Supreme Court nullified the 3rd degree murder charge.
As I said, racial politics. What Noor did was much worse than what Potter did. But the five Democrats on the MN court will hardly lift a finger to help her out like they did with Noor.
You keep repeating this "partisan" malarkey. Minnesota Supreme Court justices are elected on a non-partisan ticket unless they are selected to replace a judge who is leaving.

Ms. Potter is convicted on 1st degree manslaughter, Mr Noor on 2nd degree manslaughter. Ms. Potter's conviction is for a more serious charge. Your opinion on the relative merits is not relevant to the sentencing.

That remains to be seen. Of course, Colorado and Minnesota are different states with different laws and sentences, so it is illogical to compare the two.
It's not about different laws in different states. It's about politics. The governor of Colorado is being pressured (by racial groups) to commute the trucker boy's sentence to "time served".
Millions of people have signed a petition to have this truck driver's sentence. It is more than racial groups.

Do you or have you lived in that area? I suspect not, which means you really have no clue what they would or would not like.
So what do you think they would like? More Daunte Wrights robbing and shooting people? Police not being able to get violent criminals off the streets because politicians (including DAs) are putting more and more restrictions on them?

Ms. Potter fucked up big time.
She made the mistake. Unfortunately, the anti-police prosecutors went further than that and pushed the narrative that she should not have used any level of force against St. Daunte. And even more unfortunately, the idiots on the jury bought that nonsense.

During covid and a training session, she allowed her trainee to stop someone for something hanging from his mirror - totally bogus.
He also had an expired tag. Which allowed them to uncover that he was insured and had a suspended license.
Obviously it is in the best interest of the community to get uninsured and unlicensed drivers off the streets.
The stop uncovered something else - a warrant. Obviously it is in the best
If the air freshener and expired tags were the only things wrong, he'd be on his way in 5 minutes. But a lot more was wrong, and they had to take him into custody. At which point St. Daunte decided to resist arrest by fleeing.

Then, things escalated and she drew here firearm instead of a taser. I would hope that the community would expect her replacement to be more competent.
Who would want to be on the police there when you can be thrown under the bus for making a mistake?
And who would want to work there when you are not really able to do your job because of meddling by politicians? The mayor reacted to the shooting by prohibiting city cops from making most traffic stops.

You keep repeating this "partisan" malarkey. Minnesota Supreme Court justices are elected on a non-partisan ticket unless they are selected to replace a judge who is leaving.
It's not malarkey. Five out of seven are Democrats. And they vote in favor of politically correct causes, like Somali Muslims.

Ms. Potter is convicted on 1st degree manslaughter, Mr Noor on 2nd degree manslaughter. Ms. Potter's conviction is for a more serious charge. Your opinion on the relative merits is not relevant to the sentencing.
Noor was convicted of 3rd degree murder as well before the judicial meddling.

And please explain to me why what Potter did warrants a higher charge and harsher sentence than what Noor did. And what I mean is explain in detail. Because blind adherence to authority will not do.
So again, explain to me why shooting a fleeing suspect (with another officer hanging out of the car and thus in danger) when you meant to tase him is worse than shooting a non-suspect for no reason at all. Please go into detail.

Millions of people have signed a petition to have this truck driver's sentence. It is more than racial groups.
The racial groups have been pushing the petition. Just because millions of idiots sign something does not prove they are not signing it because of trucker boy's race.

Do you or have you lived in that area? I suspect not, which means you really have no clue what they would or would not like.
So what do you think they would like? More Daunte Wrights robbing and shooting people? Police not being able to get violent criminals off the streets because politicians (including DAs) are putting more and more restrictions on them?
Your rant is irrelevant. The people of that area via their chief of police fired Ms. Potter. There has not been a public swell of support for her in that area.

Ms. Potter fucked up big time.
She made the mistake. Unfortunately, the anti-police prosecutors went further than that and pushed the narrative that she should not have used any level of force against St. Daunte. And even more unfortunately, the idiots on the jury bought that nonsense.

During covid and a training session, she allowed her trainee to stop someone for something hanging from his mirror - totally bogus.
He also had an expired tag. Which allowed them to uncover that he was insured and had a suspended license.
Obviously it is in the best interest of the community to get uninsured and unlicensed drivers off the streets.
The stop uncovered something else - a warrant. Obviously it is in the best
If the air freshener and expired tags were the only things wrong, he'd be on his way in 5 minutes. But a lot more was wrong, and they had to take him into custody. At which point St. Daunte decided to resist arrest by fleeing.
Police around here do not routinely stop people for expired tags or for items hanging from their mirrors. She permitted that stop which is what set this entire tragedy in motion.

Then, things escalated and she drew here firearm instead of a taser. I would hope that the community would expect her replacement to be more competent.
Who would want to be on the police there when you can be thrown under the bus for making a mistake?
A mistake like mistaking a firearm for a taser and killing someone? Yes, I would.
And who would want to work there when you are not really able to do your job because of meddling by politicians? The mayor reacted to the shooting by prohibiting city cops from making most traffic stops.
Apparently there are still police on the force.

Your rant is irrelevant. The people of that area via their chief of police fired Ms. Potter. There has not been a public swell of support for her in that area.
But there has been a public swell of support for Daunte Wright in the area. Which is why the mayor of Brooklyn Center introduced policies to hamstring city police and allow future Daunte Wrights to drive while unlicensed and uninsured and having warrants without risking being pulled over by the police.
Got your woke area about right there?

Police around here do not routinely stop people for expired tags or for items hanging from their mirrors. She permitted that stop which is what set this entire tragedy in motion.
Wrong. What set this entire tragedy in motion is St. Daunte's actions.
You are still denying that he had any hand in his own demise when he had by far the most hand in his demise.
Potter made a split-second mistake. Wright robbed somebody, brandished the gun, ignored his court date, drove with license suspended and without insurance and then decided to resist arrest by fleeing.

And they should be very afraid, because the local politicians (because of voters like you) are very hostile to police. As is the racist, Islamist attorney general.

I still believe it was an accident. I feel just as strongly that Daunte shouldn't have died as I do that Potter didn't mean to do it. A courtroom is a different place than the moment it happened. I think she was coached by lawyers and other affiliates in law enforcement (as well as the political aspects) leading to her testimony being more about her concern for another officer's safety fueling the need for a taser than it was the regret and remorse she felt in that moment for Daunte when she realized she drew her gun.

Now she not only has to live with that mistake, but she also has to learn to live with it behind bars.

Edit: Don't get it twisted. I don't think she should have gotten off scot-free. The American system doesn't appear to be built for gray areas. The prosecution is in charge of the charges and the defense only has that to go on.

These kids were also selling pot to kids at school, and that makes them dealers. One of the potheads actually played bass in our band for a short time before we kicked him out, because he showed up for practice one Sunday morning with a big bag of pot wrapped in a grocery/paper bag under his arm. Rich kids with too much money and parents who were never around - lets deal some drugs, because the cops are never going to come after us.

Don't be an apologetic for racist police brutality.
1) You didn't say dealing, you're changing the scenario.
I added more information to correct your flawed assumptions.

2) You also added another very relevant factor--rich kids. There is a major socioeconomic bias in policing. You don't mess with the rich unless you're sure of their guilt.
The pothead kids look and dress like other kids, and I doubt the police knew them personally, or knew that their parents were wealthy. While Stamford was nothing like Manhattan in the 80's, or like what it is today, it was still a large town. While I am sure that socioeconomic bias can play a significant role in how police interact with and deal with people, for the example I mentioned, the fact that the pothead kids were white very likely explained the preferential treatment they were given.

Ms. Potter made a deadly mistake. It seems fair that she pay some price for that mistake. After all, Mr. Wright paid a price for his mistake.

Some. But not this. 1st degree manslaughter (which Keith Ellison tacked on personally) is not justified.
She was an experienced officer who trained younger officers in the use of force as part of her job. A man is dead because of her reckless actions, and she should have known better. Any common civilian, who did not have the specialized training that Ms Potter had received, or the experience she had gathered over two and half decades working a LEO and a trainer, would likely also be convicted of a similar charge under similar circumstances. Why should Ms Potter be treated any different?

She will probably end up spending more time in prison than Mohammed Noor because of racial politics.
Hell, she will probably end up spending more time in prison than that truck killer in Colorado because invertebrate Jared Polis will likely commute his sentence.
Irrelevant. Every case should be judged on its own merits. You are upset that Ms Potter was convicted because she was white, and you would not have been upset had she been black. If she had been black, you would have been digging up dirt on her past misdeeds, smearing her name as a stupid dindu and thug, and advocating that society would be best served by locking her up for life.

But there has been a public swell of support for Daunte Wright in the area. Which is why the mayor of Brooklyn Center introduced policies to hamstring city police and allow future Daunte Wrights to drive while unlicensed and uninsured and having warrants without risking being pulled over by the police.
Got your woke area about right there?
I think someone has been hitting the holiday eggnog pretty hard. I get you cannot grasp that people get upset when the police engage in unnecessary killing of civilians. That does not make them "woke" - it makes them decent human beings.
Wrong. What set this entire tragedy in motion is St. Daunte's actions.
You are still denying that he had any hand in his own demise when he had by far the most hand in his demise.
Potter made a split-second mistake. Wright robbed somebody, brandished the gun, ignored his court date, drove with license suspended and without insurance and then decided to resist arrest by fleeing.
Mr. Wright made mistakes. And he paid for them with his life. Ms. Potter made mistakes. And she has paid for them with job loss and a conviction.
And they should be very afraid, because the local politicians (because of voters like you) are very hostile to police.
If by hostility you mean that I do not kneejerk condone the killing of civilians, I plead guilty,
As is the racist, Islamist attorney general.
Someone really has hit that holiday eggnog extra hard to come up with that unwarranted bigoted observation.

It's not malarkey. Five out of seven are Democrats. And they vote in favor of politically correct causes, like Somali Muslims.
You are not seriously arguing that these justices are dyed in the wool leftists because they are Democrats? Because as we all know, elected judges improve their re-election chances in a predominately white state by letting a black man get a lighter sentence for killing a white woman.

Really, your argument is incredibly idiotic.

Noor was convicted of 3rd degree murder as well before the judicial meddling.
There was no judicial meddling. Mr. Noor appealed.
And please explain to me why what Potter did warrants a higher charge and harsher sentence than what Noor did. And what I mean is explain in detail. Because blind adherence to authority will not do.
There is no explaining to do. I am not an expert in law and you most certainly are not. Neither I nor the prosecutor owe you an explanation - not that it would make a difference in this case.

S
The racial groups have been pushing the petition. Just because millions of idiots sign something does not prove they are not signing it because of trucker boy's race.
Wow. Really, simply wow.

She was an experienced officer who trained younger officers in the use of force as part of her job. A man is dead because of her reckless actions,
He is dead mostly due to his own reckless and criminal actions, culminating in resisting arrest by fleeing.

and she should have known better.
Yes, but it was a split second mistake. She did not have the luxury of time, like that Colorado trucker guy who had a relatively long time to contemplate his actions.

Any common civilian, who did not have the specialized training that Ms Potter had received, or the experience she had gathered over two and half decades working a LEO and a trainer, would likely also be convicted of a similar charge under similar circumstances. Why should Ms Potter be treated any different?
A common civilian is not expected to arrest people on warrants. So the comparison falls flat.

Irrelevant. Every case should be judged on its own merits.
Of course. And the merits of the Noor case are worse than merits of the Potter case. But in the Noor case there was no angry mob of #BLMers threatening violence if they do not get their way.
You are upset that Ms Potter was convicted because she was white, and you would not have been upset had she been black. If she had been black, you would have been digging up dirt on her past misdeeds, smearing her name as a stupid dindu and thug, and advocating that society would be best served by locking her up for life.
Wrong! 1000x times wrong! Had Potter been black and and Wright white, and everything else the same, I would still agree with Gospel that she did screw up royally and that she needs some punishment but that justice is not best served with a prison sentence.
The beef I have with the Noor case is that it was not analogous to the Potter case. He didn't shoot a fleeing suspect but an innocent civilian. And I think he has been treated differently from Potter because not only of his race, but also the race of his victim. After all, #BLM stands for black lives matter. They do not care for white people killed by police!

I think someone has been hitting the holiday eggnog pretty hard. I get you cannot grasp that people get upset when the police engage in unnecessary killing of civilians. That does not make them "woke" - it makes them decent human beings.
I prefer mulled wine. :)
But I can grasp that somebody is upset at unnecessary killing of civilians. And yes, that does not make them woke. Woke is saying that because Wright is black, he counts more than Damond who is white. That's woke.
Normal would be to say that Wright brought a situation where a mistake like this could be made on himself which reduces Potter's culpability. That is not given in the Noor case. His victim did not have warrants or flee arrest in a motor vehicle with another cop partially inside. Wright did.

Someone really has hit that holiday eggnog extra hard to come up with that unwarranted bigoted observation.
It is a well known fact that Keith Ellison has been a Nation of Islam sympathizer. Nation of Islam is a racist, antisemitic, black supremacist organization.

You are not seriously arguing that these justices are dyed in the wool leftists because they are Democrats?
I did not peruse their individual biographies but the "Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party" that you guys have in Minnesota is to the left of the mainstream Democratic party.
Because as we all know, elected judges improve their re-election chances in a predominately white state by letting a black man get a lighter sentence for killing a white woman.
There are a lot of self-hating whites on the Left. This is also the state where you elected Keith "Nation of Islam" Ellison to a statewide post. Speaks volumes.

There was no judicial meddling. Mr. Noor appealed.
And they should have rejected the appeal, as there was nothing wrong with the initial conviction, and the sentence, if anything, was way too short.
There is no explaining to do. I am not an expert in law and you most certainly are not.
I.e. blind adherence to authority. "A decision is correct because a court made it".
So if Roe is overturned, no explaining is needed, surely. All that matters is that a court made a decision, and political makeup of the court is irrelevant too, right? :rolleyesa:

Neither I nor the prosecutor owe you an explanation - not that it would make a difference in this case.
Of course they owe us a legal justification. Or are you advocating judicial tyranny?

Wow. Really, simply wow.
Are you seriously suggesting that his race has nothing to do with the support he's been getting in some circles? Same people who want him freed immediately also want the book thrown at Potter. Explain that.

Back
Top Bottom