• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Daunte Wright shot with Taser. And by "taser," I mean, "Gun."

Noor was under extra scrutiny because he is Somali-American.

And the cynical side of me says he was one of the first sources of change in Minneapolis. In other words how they treated him put pressure on white officers in the coming days. But that's just cynical me not basing things on facts.
If memory serves, he was the first Somali American police officer (in Minnesota, at least) and had been fast tracked in his training. Minnesota is home to a significant Somali diaspora and there is both racist/nativist backlash and also a desire to do better by dark skinned immigrants and more quickly have them be represented in local politics, police force, etc. This is similar to how Minnesota has behaved with its Hmong immigrants, also a significant diaspora. Lots of racism outside of the large metro area, at least initially and in more recent years, a strong attempt in the twin cities metro area to encourage political participation, representation on various boards, etc, and on the police force. Which does not erase some significant bias against people who are not descended from Nordic/Northern European ancestry.

You mean why was Noor not charged with violating civil rights? Hmmm.
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. White people have civil rights too, you know.
Do you have any evidence that Noor's acts were related to the race of his victim or is this just another pathetic "whataboutism"?
There you go again - Mr. Floyd was innocent of any crime at the time until proven guilty.
This is pure sophistry. Obviously nobody is convicted of a crime in question at the time of police interaction itself. That does not mean Floyd was innocent in the same sense Damond was. He was still a suspect being placed into custody. Damond called 911. A very big difference.
You are a practicing expert in sophistry, so I'll take your observation seriously. A suspect (even a black man) is still innocent until proven guilty e

BTW were you aware that the governor of the Texas is considering giving Mr. Floyd a posthumous pardon based on the well-documented evidence that his arresting officer was a habitual liar?
You have no evidence to support your wildass claims about race and religion influence in these cases or Black Muslim privilege in Minnesota.
The attorney general is a black Muslim with ties to Nation of Islam.
Do you have a point besides confusing correlation with causation?
At the same time he is very aggressive against white cops (he personally overrode the local DA and upgraded charges against Potter) but far less aggressive against Noor.
On what actual evidence to base this far less aggressiveness against Noor? Mr. Noor was charged with 2nd degree intentional murder, 3rd degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter. What do you know that the prosecutor's did not that allows you to come up with other unspecified charges?
Your imagination about counterfactual events is not relevant to a discussion about real events.
Thinking about what would happen if circumstances (race, religion) were different is very much relevant to questions about bias.
It is to your bias. But your imaginary counterfactuals are not necessarily manifestations of what might happen.
As usual, you missed the point.
No. You have. As usual.

That is truly impressive spin. The Noor events and the Chauvin events are vastly different.
Yes. Floyd was a suspect. Damond was not. Floyd's overdose and ill health played a role in his death. No such contributing circumstances were present with Damond.
Unfortunately, your opinion is not confirmed by the facts or testimony.
Noor was a relative rookie officer and he made a split second mistake (like Potter).
Big difference with Potter is that she was right to go for a taser while Noor had no grounds to pull any weapon at Damond.
But Ms. Potter did not get her taser -she got her gun and fired it. Neither Ms. Potter nor Mr Noor had any grounds to fire their gun - as any sophistry expert would know.
Once Noor fired his weapon there was nothing he could to do. On the otherhand, Chauvin was a veteran officer who made an 8 minute plus mistake and who could have stopped at any time but refused to, even when the victim and bystanders pleaded for him to ease up.
I am not saying Chauvin did nothing wrong. But that he has to serve 25 years while Noor will be out in 5 is sickening.
I think it is sickening that Mr. Chauvin could be out in 25 years given the brutality and cruelty of his actions. I think it is a travesty for Mr. Noor to be out after 5 years, but that is due to the legitimate application of the governing laws of the state of Minnesota, not Mr. Noor's race or religion (as you persistently and wrongly claim).

After seeing an image of Potter's Gun and Taser I can understand why the defense would object. It's easy for a Juror to just look at both of them closely and say, No F'ing way you can mistake these.

Yeah. They shouldn't be looking at the gun or the taser. Rather, they should have mockups of the part of the weapon that is gripped, but the rest of the weapon missing. She wasn't looking at her gun, what it looks like is of no relevance. These cases have made me wonder if the real problem is the design of the taser--it's designed a lot like a gun because form follows function. Fine when looked at independently, but when you're dealing with both guns and tasers I wonder if the similarity will increase the chance of confusion.

I Agree. Forgive but I must mention that I'm still trying to cope with your take on the wheelchair shooting incident thus why no like button click (not that you should care).

I renew my tags in person all the time. I live in a small town which is also the county seat. There is virtually never a line.
I really wonder where you live. Your town must be a geographical oddity. DMVs with no lines. White people selling drugs in the streets but never getting arrested. Quite a strange place.

Aside from that, in my state, ALL the DMVs were short staffed, had short hours and online registrations were taking FOREVER because of the pandemic.
I had no trouble, neither in 2020 nor 2021.

THAT is why my state and some others (including Minnesota) were telling police not to pull people over for expired tags. It put the officers and the drivers at greater risk for COVID exposure AND it was likely that the person was not able to renew their tags in person OR on line.
But it does allow you to check for warrants and thus allows you to catch gun criminals. Again, I thought your lot was in favor of arresting gun criminals.
There is no correlation between expired tags and people running from warrants.
The police cannot compel passengers in a vehicle to identify themselves, unless they have an articulable suspicion they have committed a crime. Which makes the exercise even more fruitless.

Driving with an expired tag is not a crime, it is a moving violation that can be fixed by renewing the tag and perhaps paying a fine in some jurisdictions. The police use traffic stops to profile people and "run them for warrants", with absolutely no justification. They often coerce passengers into providing ID as well, even though passengers are not required to carry ID in any state.

Your characterization is bullshit.
Hardly. I leave that to you.

What on earth are you on about now?
Mohammed Noor, the Somali Muslim who deliberately murdered innocent woman Justine Dammond had his murder conviction overturned and will be released in less than five years.
Ex-Minneapolis police officer sentenced to 57 months in the killing of a 911 caller

How is what he did any less severe than what say Derek Chauvin did? If anything, Chauvin is less guilty because the killing was accidental and Floyd's poor health and fentanyl overdose contributed to his death. And yet Chauvin will be in prison five times longer. Black Muslim privilege. Especially when AG is a black Muslim with Nation of Islam ties. I smell a coverup!
The two medical examiners who conducted autopsies on Floyd's body ruled it a homicide. A doctor and several experts in the use of force testified at trial that it was a homicide. A jury of 12 people presented with the evidence in the case ruled it a homicide. Multiple people who witnessed the killing first hand, including a paramedic, testified that Chauvin killed Floyd. And Chauvin himself recently pled guilt in a Federal Court to violating Mr Floyd's rights and to using excessive force. Yet here you are, repeating this lie over and over again.

One of these days you may get arrested during a vice sting, and get your ass beaten in the process, and you will discover for yourself exactly how the police in this country treat the communities they are paid to serve and protect. Maybe you will change your tune then.

Last edited:
These kids were also selling pot to kids at school, and that makes them dealers. One of the potheads actually played bass in our band for a short time before we kicked him out, because he showed up for practice one Sunday morning with a big bag of pot wrapped in a grocery/paper bag under his arm. Rich kids with too much money and parents who were never around - lets deal some drugs, because the cops are never going to come after us.

Don't be an apologetic for racist police brutality.
1) You didn't say dealing, you're changing the scenario.

2) You also added another very relevant factor--rich kids. There is a major socioeconomic bias in policing. You don't mess with the rich unless you're sure of their guilt.

These kids were also selling pot to kids at school, and that makes them dealers. One of the potheads actually played bass in our band for a short time before we kicked him out, because he showed up for practice one Sunday morning with a big bag of pot wrapped in a grocery/paper bag under his arm. Rich kids with too much money and parents who were never around - lets deal some drugs, because the cops are never going to come after us.

2) You also added another very relevant factor--rich kids. There is a major socioeconomic bias in policing. You don't mess with the rich unless you're sure of their guilt.
He’s not changing anything. You’re just being told your assumptions are wrong.

Rich is relative.

It is wrong that police and society in general have different standards based on real or perceived wealth. Or in this case, parental wealth. The fact that standards, rules and enforcement of rules and penalties for violating or being perceived to violate rules is counter to our constitution. And it serves to perpetuate divisions between class, gender and race. It is not just unethical and morally wrong but outrageously so.

A verdict has been reached, and it's not a hung jury. Just in time for the holidays, coincidentally.

GODFUCKINGDAMNIT

Complete miscarriage of justice. It was a complete political showtrial.

Guilty on both charges. Wow.

GODFUCKINGDAMNIT

Complete miscarriage of justice. It was a complete political showtrial.
Ms. Potter made a deadly mistake. It seems fair that she pay some price for that mistake. After all, Mr. Wright paid a price for his mistake.

Ms. Potter made a deadly mistake. It seems fair that she pay some price for that mistake. After all, Mr. Wright paid a price for his mistake.

Some. But not this. 1st degree manslaughter (which Keith Ellison tacked on personally) is not justified.
She will probably end up spending more time in prison than Mohammed Noor because of racial politics.
Hell, she will probably end up spending more time in prison than that truck killer in Colorado because invertebrate Jared Polis will likely commute his sentence.

Some. But not this. 1st degree manslaughter (which Keith Ellison tacked on personally) is not justified.
I wonder why 12 jurors thought differently.
She will probably end up spending more time in prison than Mohammed Noor because of racial politics.
No, probably because Ms. Potter was convicted on higher charges.
Hell, she will probably end up spending more time in prison than that truck killer in Colorado because invertebrate Jared Polis will likely commute his sentence.
That remains to be seen. Of course, Colorado and Minnesota are different states with different laws and sentences, so it is illogical to compare the two.

Killing a person should get more time than killing a truck.

Last edited:
I hope the members of the community are happy about whoever replaces Potter.

I doubt that they will. Would anyone like Potter take a job there? Someone who wouldn't draw a weapon, unless in dire circumstances?

But the community is also unlikely to accept no replacement. The Daunte Wrights will still be out there. Getting rid of Potter doesn't change that.
Tom

Rich is relative.

It is wrong that police and society in general have different standards based on real or perceived wealth. Or in this case, parental wealth. The fact that standards, rules and enforcement of rules and penalties for violating or being perceived to violate rules is counter to our constitution. And it serves to perpetuate divisions between class, gender and race. It is not just unethical and morally wrong but outrageously so.

He did change something--originally it was because they were white. Then it came out that the real reason was they were rich kids.

I do agree there's a big problem with policing the rich. It's just that's not evidence of racism.

I hope the members of the community are happy about whoever replaces Potter.

I doubt that they will. Would anyone like Potter take a job there? Someone who wouldn't draw a weapon, unless in dire circumstance
Do you or have you lived in that area? I suspect not, which means you really have no clue what they would or would not like.

Ms. Potter fucked up big time. During covid and a training session, she allowed her trainee to stop someone for something hanging from his mirror - totally bogus. Then, things escalated and she drew here firearm instead of a taser. I would hope that the community would expect her replacement to be more competent.
But the community is also unlikely to accept no replacement. The Daunte Wrights will still be out there. Getting rid of Potter doesn't change that.
Tom
Is there a point there?

Rich is relative.

He did change something--originally it was because they were white. Then it came out that the real reason was they were rich kids.

I do agree there's a big problem with policing the rich. It's just that's not evidence of racism.
Atrib's narrative is something he lived, knew and witnessed. Yet you dismiss it with a wave of the hand because it does not fit with your views.

Back
Top Bottom