• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Daunte Wright shot with Taser. And by "taser," I mean, "Gun."

LoAmmo

Basic Beliefs
atheist
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/12/us/brooklyn-center-minnesota-police-shooting/index.html

(CNN)A 20-year-old man was fatally shot during a traffic stop after a Minnesota police officer shouted "Taser!" but fired a handgun instead, Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon said.

Daunte Wright was driving with his girlfriend Sunday afternoon when he was pulled over in the Minneapolis suburb.
Earlier, police said they tried to take the driver into custody after learning during a traffic stop that he had an outstanding warrant. The man got back into his vehicle, and an officer shot him, police said. They said the man drove several blocks before striking another vehicle.
Bodycam video released by the police chief Monday provided more details about what happened.
Wright got out of his car, but then got back in. It's not clear why, but the police chief told reporters it appeared from the video that Wright was trying to leave.

An officer is then heard shouting, "Taser! Taser! Taser!" but then fires a gun -- not a Taser -- at Wright.
"Holy sh*t!" the officer screams. "I shot him."
The police chief said the shooting appeared to be "an accidental discharge that resulted in the tragic death of Mr. Wright."
Gannon offered his "deepest sympathies" to Wright's family and vowed continued transparency.

It's easy to get all those doo-dads mixed up, I guess. Guns, tasers, flashlights, handcuffs. It's a wonder more cops don't draw down on a guy and then realize, "Oh, what the--this is Chapstick, not my service revolver."

Time to start blaming the victim in 3, 2, 1...

Very similar to the circumstances of Robert Bates' death five years ago, and Oscar Grant in 2009.

If I'm trying to tase someone, and accidentally murder them instead, do I get off with a slap on the wrist and the fervent support of a third of America?

(Also, I'm no gun expert, but is the process of preparing a gun to fire and that of preparing a taser for use really so similar that they can be easily confused? If so, can we change this?)

Well he did have a warrant for a gun charge. And another pending charge for aggravated robbery.
He broke free from the officer who tried to handcuff him. Had he not done that he'd be in jail, but alive.
The cop made a deadly mistake, yes, but she would not have pulled her weapon at all had he not resisted.

Very similar to the circumstances of Robert Bates' death five years ago, and Oscar Grant in 2009.

Yes, indeed. Law of large numbers. If the probability of mixing those things up is 1:1,000,000 there are probably enough instances of officers firing their tasers every year that you would expect a deadly mix-up to happen, purely by chance, every few years even without the cop in question being incompetent or poorly trained. Btw, Robert Bates was not a trained officer, so he should be bracketed out or asterisked.

If I'm trying to tase someone, and accidentally murder them instead, do I get off with a slap on the wrist and the fervent support of a third of America?
It would not be murder; more like involunatry manslaughter. And the officer who accidentally shot Grant was convicted and served two years, hardly a "slap on the wrist".

(Also, I'm no gun expert, but is the process of preparing a gun to fire and that of preparing a taser for use really so similar that they can be easily confused? If so, can we change this?)
No expert either, but they both appear to be point and click interfaces.

Beretta 92FSs and Glock 17s (the two most likely type of pistols used by law enforcement) have safeties very different than a taser. So either the officer carried the firearm around in an unsafe manner, or their first instinct in any situation is to go for their firearm and this was a lazy excuse. Either scenario should lead to a suspension and retraining as a minimum.

Sam Hyde predicted this three weeks ago

Only the shitlords of this board will enjoy this starting at 3:55

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/12/us/brooklyn-center-minnesota-police-shooting/index.html

(CNN)A 20-year-old man was fatally shot during a traffic stop after a Minnesota police officer shouted "Taser!" but fired a handgun instead, Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon said.

Daunte Wright was driving with his girlfriend Sunday afternoon when he was pulled over in the Minneapolis suburb.
Earlier, police said they tried to take the driver into custody after learning during a traffic stop that he had an outstanding warrant. The man got back into his vehicle, and an officer shot him, police said. They said the man drove several blocks before striking another vehicle.
Bodycam video released by the police chief Monday provided more details about what happened.
Wright got out of his car, but then got back in. It's not clear why, but the police chief told reporters it appeared from the video that Wright was trying to leave.

An officer is then heard shouting, "Taser! Taser! Taser!" but then fires a gun -- not a Taser -- at Wright.
"Holy sh*t!" the officer screams. "I shot him."
The police chief said the shooting appeared to be "an accidental discharge that resulted in the tragic death of Mr. Wright."
Gannon offered his "deepest sympathies" to Wright's family and vowed continued transparency.

It's easy to get all those doo-dads mixed up, I guess. Guns, tasers, flashlights, handcuffs. It's a wonder more cops don't draw down on a guy and then realize, "Oh, what the--this is Chapstick, not my service revolver."

Nobody's going to mistake chapstick for a gun. The thing is the taser functions very much like a gun and a cop likely carries both. They probably practice with the gun more than they do with the taser so that memory path will be stronger. Unfortunately, I see no good answer to this. In a quickly developing situation I do not believe humans can be trained not to ever make the mistake.

Starting to consolidate my replies from other threads into this one.

Again, without the stop, no matter how much sophistry and dumbness you wish to put forth, it would not have happened.
You are the one engaging in "sophistry and dumbness" as the same can be said for any of the myriad events in the causal chain - him deciding to take his car for a wash, him not renewing his tag on time, him getting car from his moms, etc.

And what's your point anyway? It is the job of the police to enforce the laws, including traffic laws. Do you think they should ignore expired tags or only when the driver is black?

Which should put to rest your "maybe going for his gun" crapola.
"Going for his gun" was still a clear and present danger, given that he had a warrant for illegal gun possession. Also, the media is using the photos of Duante with his kid, and never the photos of Duante with his gun. That's media bias for you!

Again, without the stop, no matter how much sophistry and dumbness you wish to put forth, it would not have happened.
You are the one engaging in "sophistry and dumbness" as the same can be said for any of the myriad events in the causal chain - him deciding to take his car for a wash, him not renewing his tag on time, him getting car from his moms, etc.

And what's your point anyway? It is the job of the police to enforce the laws, including traffic laws. Do you think they should ignore expired tags or only when the driver is black?

"Going for his gun" was still a clear and present danger, given that he had a warrant for illegal gun possession. Also, the media is using the photos of Duante with his kid, and never the photos of Duante with his gun. That's media bias for you!

Not laughing dog but I think that when cops pull people over for traffic violations, they shouldn't kill them.

Personally, I've been pulled over a number of times, usually for exceeding the speed limit. Fortunately for me, I tend to look like the white lady next door and the worst I've gotten is a warning. Nobody tried to haul me out of my car, or pointed a weapon at me or even spoke harshly to me.

"So I reached for the taser, drew the taser, pointed the taser and pulled the trigger on the taser, only it turned out not to be the taser, but the gun"

Thank God she didn't decide to become an auto mechanic or a plumber or something like that, where such a mistake could have caused property damage.
Right, Derec?

People make mistakes. There is a difference between making a mistake and deliberately destroying and stealing property. Something you defend as long as it is done by your side (the far left).

Not laughing dog but I think that when cops pull people over for traffic violations, they shouldn't kill them.
Ideally, no. But millions of traffic stops get conducted every year in the US, and only a very small fraction results in deadly force.
In this case you had a stop for expired tag (not air freshner[sic]!). But the young adult had a warrant for a gun, so he was getting arrested. Instead of letting the officer handcuff him, he resisted and dove into the car. So far, the bad choices are all on him. He had plenty of opportunity to get out of this alive and unharmed.

You will never be able to completely eliminate the possibility of cops making mistakes. But if you don't act as a dumbass, as this young adult did, your chances of getting shot during a traffic stop are infinitesimal.

Personally, I've been pulled over a number of times, usually for exceeding the speed limit. Fortunately for me, I tend to look like the white lady next door and the worst I've gotten is a warning. Nobody tried to haul me out of my car, or pointed a weapon at me or even spoke harshly to me.
Maybe that's because you did not have warrants for your arrest for things like illegal guns and open charges for things like aggravated robbery.
Are you suggesting the officers should not have told him to get out of the car and that they should not have tried to arrest him?

Nope.
I think it was either a real slow night on patrol or someone was racial profiling.

"Going for his gun" was still a clear and present danger, given that he had a warrant for illegal gun possession.
Apparently the officer in question did not think so because she thought she was using a taser. So you can stop with that line of crapola.
Also, the media is using the photos of Duante with his kid, and never the photos of Duante with his gun. That's media bias for you!
Why would they want to take awy all the satisfaction you get from smearing the black shooting victim?

While getting pulled over for an Air freshener is complete bullshit; once the police identified him as having a warrant for failure to appear in court for illegal gun possession it wasn't about an air freshener anymore. The way I see it, his death is unfortunate and way more punishment than anything the judge would have given for the gun possession. The question now is, what should be done with the Officer who mistook her Gun for a Taser? Nothing?

"So I reached for the taser, drew the taser, pointed the taser and pulled the trigger on the taser, only it turned out not to be the taser, but the gun"

Thank God she didn't decide to become an auto mechanic or a plumber or something like that, where such a mistake could have caused property damage.
Right, Derec?

People make mistakes. There is a difference between making a mistake and deliberately destroying and stealing property.

So it's not a mistake to destroy property?
You're tying yourself in knots, dude.
She made a mistake out of fear. Rioters make mistakes out of anger. *
There is a significant qualitative difference: Her mistake killed someone. Many people have been killed by the kind of mistake she made.

Something you defend as long as it is done by your side (the far left).

Please stop lying about what I "defend". I'll chalk it up to typical right wing incomprehension this time, but seriously... knock off the false attribution.

*Often with impetus provided by white supremacist agitators. That includes right wing rioters responding to Donald Trump.

The question now is, what should be done with the Officer who mistook her Gun for a Taser? Nothing?

In fairness, it appears to have been a mistake (where "mistake" is another word for panic). So I'd say probably nothing less than losing her job as a cop, plus whatever they do to rioters who cause
Capture.JPG

Please stop lying about what I "defend". I'll chalk it up to typical right wing incomprehension this time, but seriously... knock off the false attribution.

Defending people protesting police abuse and murder is not defending everything they do.

It is just saying they have a just cause. A real cause because of a real problem.

Lack of training scenarios putting the officer under pressure, I would think.
She was likely suffering tunnel vision due to an adrenaline rush. She could not focus on what was in her hand but only on the suspect.

Lack of training scenarios putting the officer under pressure, I would think.
She was likely suffering tunnel vision due to an adrenaline rush. She could not focus on what was in her hand but only on the suspect.

I agree that she was suffering tunnel vision and that she was focusing only on the suspect. Who was black. And yeah: black is what I think 'distracted' her and captured her entire focus.

Maybe they do need to practice a lot more training scenarios with young black men as 'suspects' and the person they are pulling over for a traffic violation.

Back
Top Bottom