• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Dear Christian, threats don't make things true.

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism
Again, this is just me getting tired of giving the same answer over and over again, so I'm trying to collect my thoughts in one place.

Dear Christian,

You must believe that the moon is made of green cheese, or else my friend Ted (who totally exists, I swear) will torture you for three days. You don't want to be tortured for three days, do you? Look, I can't decide for you, but you have a choice to make. Either you can decide to believe that the moon is made of green cheese and not be tortured, or you can choose to reject the truth that the moon is made of green cheese and be tortured. The choice is entirely up to you. I can't decide this for you. Ted is coming.

There, did I convince you that the moon is made of green cheese? No? I feel so sorry for you. Why do you want to be tortured by Ted? I'm only trying to help you not be tortured by Ted. I'm so concerned for you!

Still not convinced?

That's because threats don't make things true. You should already know this.

Did the threat of burning in a lake of fire for eternity convince you that Islam is true?

Did the threat of being reborn a poor person or perhaps even an animal convince you that Buddhism or Hinduism are true?

Did the threat of missing out on the really good parties in Valhalla convince you that the Norse religion is true?

Every religion that I know of makes some kind of threat about what happens after you die if you fail to follow their teachings. You have already encountered many of these threats from many of these other religions and none of them convinced you that those other religions are true. You must have noticed this by now.

So why did you expect your threats from your religion to convince me that your religion is true? Do you really think you are that much smarter than me that you expected an argument that didn't work on you to work on me? Is it because you think you are particularly smart, or is it because you think I am particularly stupid?

There is no excuse for treating me like an idiot like this. You know damn well that nearly identical arguments from other religions failed to convince you that those other religions are true, so you had no excuse for threatening me with Hell like that. You should know exactly how easily I can dismiss those threats because you dismiss threats like that all the time. Your threats don't make your truth claims sound more plausible, they make you sound more desperate, like something deep inside you already knows that the things you believe aren't true, and so the use of threats is necessary if you want to convince others that your truth claims are in fact true.

All of the different ways you try to use Hell to convince non-Christians just makes you sound desperate. Yes, that includes Pascal's wager. The fact that you think Pascal's wager is clever shows that on some level, you really do think threats make things true, at least if the threats come from your own religion and not some other religion (special pleading fallacy).

The consequences of something being true has nothing to do with whether or not it is true. It doesn't matter if Ted is real, and it doesn't matter if Ted is going to torture you. The threat of torture by Ted doesn't prove that the moon is made of green cheese. This is called an  appeal to consequences fallacy. The consequences of something being true are not relevant to whether or not it is true. In fact this is a particular kind of appeal to consequences fallacy called  argumentum ad baculum: threats don't make things true.

If you are like most Christians I have talked to, you may not even be aware of how much of a role these threats play in why you and other Christians believe what you believe. If this is the case, I can only suggest that you pay extra attention to what your fellow Christians say whenever they talk about Hell.

But the threats are not for YOUR benefit.

The point of eternal punishment is so the gullible can feel superior. Heaven wouldn't be special if people who did NOT accept Jesus into their heart also got to live in a paradise for eternity. Like, if everyone went to Heaven, but the Christains got a T-shirt that said "I got it right" or if there were just two islands in paradise, both equally paradisical.

But if you turn down the offer to paradise, then the Believer can feel smug in knowing that you'll be punished for turning him down.

That's why they treat you like an idiot, to buff themselves up. If they were as empathic as their advertising would suggest, they'd feel sad about your choice, not superior.

But the threats are not for YOUR benefit.

The point of eternal punishment is so the gullible can feel superior. Heaven wouldn't be special if people who did NOT accept Jesus into their heart also got to live in a paradise for eternity. Like, if everyone went to Heaven, but the Christains got a T-shirt that said "I got it right" or if there were just two islands in paradise, both equally paradisical.

But if you turn down the offer to paradise, then the Believer can feel smug in knowing that you'll be punished for turning him down.

That's why they treat you like an idiot, to buff themselves up. If they were as empathic as their advertising would suggest, they'd feel sad about your choice, not superior.

I think the main purpose is to make believers avoid questioning their religion. You don't want to be tortured, do you?

The fact that it gives them something to feel smug about is, I think, a welcomed side effect. ;)

Yeah. I see Christians acting all special because they know they aren't going to Hell, or whatever. The smug part is just human. When you think you know what someone else doesn't know, you sometimes get smug. Scroll up for prime examples. Everyone is smug because they're flawed humans.

I got threats last month from many powerful entities. Deny their threats and I'll have to boil bath water all month, because they won't send gas thru my pipes. You don't want AEP to torture you. They can lay it down hard. Nobody wants that. I've lived it and I'm not going back.

That is just human nonsense but real. Threats get results because I'm about to take a warm shower, and probably quietly hum a song while doing it. I've received several threats from local hooligans about singing loudly in there. The threats are always looming in this life. Again, just human nonsense - but I can do nothing because they have the game locked, and I'm particular about hygiene.

They created an illusion that makes us do things we don't want to do. Doing things for ridiculous reasons is what it is all about. I feel your frustration and outrage. It is all the same when it comes down to sacrificing unnecessarily because of something that does not exist. The right to treat me the way they do... that shouldn't exist. But here I am, naked and preparing for a paid shower.

...I think the main purpose is to make believers avoid questioning their religion. You don't want to be tortured, do you? The fact that it gives them something to feel smug about is, I think, a welcomed side effect. ;)
I think it's a realisation (often a subconscious one) that their belief is nonsense, and the threats are a desperate attempt to bring the victim down to their own level so they can feel some safety in numbers.

Christians tell us we will burn in hell if we do not believe that Jesus was only begotten son of God. Moslems tell us we will burn in hell if we continue to claim Jesus was the begotten son of God.

You two fight it out among yourselves. Let me know when one or the other religion concedes defeat and disappears off the face of the Earth.

You two fight it out among yourselves. Let me know when one or the other religion concedes defeat and disappears off the face of the Earth.
But before that, Christains need to fight it out to discover the true nature of Christainity.
Christains keep pointing at other churches and accuse them either of worshiping the wrong Jesus, or worshiping Jesus wrong. Figure that out, THEN figure if Jesus should be worshiped at all.

Christians tell us we will burn in hell if we do not believe that Jesus was only begotten son of God. Moslems tell us we will burn in hell if we continue to claim Jesus was the begotten son of God.

Sort of blows Pascal's Wager right out of the water, not that most of us didn't already know that the Wager always was a false dilemma.

Christianity and Islam hopefully may not fight any longer with each other ,if only (he says) it is fully accepted , Jesus is the song of God.

Islam accepts the holy virgin birth of Jesus. Logically by this holy concept, if he doesn't have a human father then he is ....The son of God. Muslims use the same phrase ."Anti Christ" relating to the enemy of God.

Christianity and Islam hopefully may not fight any longer with each other ,if only (he says) it is fully accepted , Jesus is the song of God.

Islam accepts the holy virgin birth of Jesus. Logically by this holy concept, if he doesn't have a human father then he is ....The son of God. Muslims use the same phrase ."Anti Christ" relating to the enemy of God.

Believing is illogical.

Christianity and Islam should not fight because doing so would be immoral.

The details of their various unprovable truth claims are irrelevant.

If your sensitive nature is triggered by such talk then consider them warnings rather than threats.

Yeah, the Op did seem a bit fragile - defensive.

Threatening people with hell doesn't help get people to come to the Church.
...it's what keeps them from coming to Church.

Threatening people with hell doesn't help get people to come to the Church.
...it's what keeps them from coming to Church.

Then why do priests do it?

There is a platitude for every occasion. A religious person will threaten one minute and cajole the next. If you find someone who won't be threatened, you pretend it isn't a threat, and resort to cajolery and mockery. But that doesn't stop you from threatening the people who ARE susceptible.

What I wonder is why bother denouncing the threats? It's all a scam to take your money, no matter whether they are being nice or not.

I never threaten people with hell.
We are all in the same boat.
We all have to decide whether there are crocodiles in the water or not.

...besides, tons of prominent atheists have said they would prefer anything other than an eternity in (whatever is their idea of) heaven.

They equally reject the idea (threat) of heaven AND hell.

Back
Top Bottom