• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Debate: Office Candy or Not?

I workout every day. It's helped me lose almost too much weight. I snack as much as I want and I even eat Lifesavers while I'm working out. So, I say the candy bowl can stay. Leave it up to each person to decide how much or how little candy they can get away with eating. We're talking about adults, not children. So, since you asked, I vote for the candy!

Calories and nutrition are not the same thing. In the long run you can be thin but unhealthy.which is an average can be fine, but there still can be degeneration due to the glucose pikes. It creates a constant demand for insulin spikes on the pancreas.

Or so my doctor says.

You can live on potato chips and not gin weight.

UIs not candy about diet, or am I missing something?

The question had been about having candy dishes in office spaces, and (sparked by the juxtaposition to a health challenge) what people’s thoughts pro or con on having them in the office space is.

Are there junk food machines in the building?

Yeah, they are several hundred steps and 5 flights of stairs away.

Eating candy should be discouraged rather than promoted. Once in a while as a special treat is not a problem. But sometimes special treats have a habit of becoming more frequent and habituated.

UIs not candy about diet, or am I missing something?

The question had been about having candy dishes in office spaces, and (sparked by the juxtaposition to a health challenge) what people’s thoughts pro or con on having them in the office space is.

Are there junk food machines in the building?

Yeah, they are several hundred steps and 5 flights of stairs away.

Sheesh...no elevators? Sounds brutal.

About 6 years ago I was in ICU for heart failure. It took about 10 years to go from reachable health to a damaged heart.

When I made it to assisted living for recovery I'd find myself walking to the machines without thinking. Habits are hard to break.

These days in the store it does not occur to me to get junk food, or alcohol for that matter.

Climbing stairs done repetitively is considered aggressive exercise. One thing that went a long way for recovery for me was a $30 step platform. If you climb a flight of stairs around 10 feet you have raised your body weight 10 feet.

The equivalent energy to lifting your body weight on a bar 1 foot 10 times. Climbing stairs twice a day every day will have an impact.

I work with weights most days, climb stairs instead of elevators, do steps in my apartment, walk hills outside, and use an exercise bike.

In the hospital I started getting all the old sayings like 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pond of cure.

Don't remove the free candy simply because some people can't help but overindulge.

No self control....may get sue for entrapment.

"Your Honor, if the defendant's office manager had not insisted on maintaining a bottomless bowl of Twizzlers in the office break room, my client would have at least two fewer chins."

I workout every day. It's helped me lose almost too much weight. I snack as much as I want and I even eat Lifesavers while I'm working out. So, I say the candy bowl can stay. Leave it up to each person to decide how much or how little candy they can get away with eating. We're talking about adults, not children. So, since you asked, I vote for the candy!

Calories and nutrition are not the same thing. In the long run you can be thin but unhealthy.which is an average can be fine, but there still can be degeneration due to the glucose pikes. It creates a constant demand for insulin spikes on the pancreas.

Or so my doctor says.

Nobody has said that one can be healthy living on potato chips and candy. Everything in moderation works for most people, assuming they have some discipline. I only voted for the candy because I think adults should decide how much candy they can or can't afford to eat and Rhea asked us to vote. If you know that you can't eat just one piece of candy, then walk quickly past the candy bowl. But, seriously, if the people in Rhea's office decide to take the candy away, that's their decision. We are simply giving our opinions since we were asked. What I think has absolutely no influence on what Rhea's office decides to do.

Or so my doctor says.

Nobody has said that one can be healthy living on potato chips and candy. Everything in moderation works for most people, assuming they have some discipline. I only voted for the candy because I think adults should decide how much candy they can or can't afford to eat and Rhea asked us to vote. If you know that you can't eat just one piece of candy, then walk quickly past the candy bowl. But, seriously, if the people in Rhea's office decide to take the candy away, that's their decision. We are simply giving our opinions since we were asked. What I think has absolutely no influence on what Rhea's office decides to do.

All things considered getting worked up at a candy bowl at work is rather silly. Unless you live in a cave i the wilderness you are bombarded with junk food. The propaganda/marketing indoctrination is eat 24./7, just order from yor phone and it arrives at your door.

Walk through a supermarket and there are rows and rows of chips, candy, frozen pizza and ice cream. Temptation is inescapable. The question is how you deal with it.

I just don't see how a bowl of candy in the workplace is an issue.

Have a healthy food pot luck lunch.

Is it sugared or sugar free????

All things considered getting worked up at a candy bowl at work is rather silly. Unless you live in a cave i the wilderness you are bombarded with junk food. The propaganda/marketing indoctrination is eat 24./7, just order from yor phone and it arrives at your door.

Walk through a supermarket and there are rows and rows of chips, candy, frozen pizza and ice cream. Temptation is inescapable. The question is how you deal with it.

I just don't see how a bowl of candy in the workplace is an issue.

Have a healthy food pot luck lunch.

Is it sugared or sugar free????

"Healthy" is a matter of opinion.

My workplace take on potlucks (from the women--the men just brought pop or chips, etc.) was that it was just extra work. They had to make dinner at home and then make something else to take to work the next day that could be reheated easily or served cold or stay in a crock pot. That's one thing if you're going to a family potluck where people eat soon after they get to work. It's another altogether if you have to be at work by 7:30 a.m. and the potluck will run from 11:30-12:30 AND you have to get time to go and and make sure your dish is ready BEFORE then, still find time to go and eat your lunch (potluck) and someone whose work schedule was a little lighter that day had to clean up AND you had to collect your stuff to take home and wash THOSE dishes. It was work. AND you had to pay for an extra meal for a bunch of people that you may or may not actually have time to eat. Now, our workplace was different than many in that we were running tests all day and depending on what you were doing that day, you might be able to easily get away or maybe you could not get away until 3 p.m. It really kind of sucked. I used to 'cheat' and just bring a fruit salad because it could just come straight out of the fridge and was ok if it sat on a table for a while.

What was nice was if management ordered out a catered lunch.

All things considered getting worked up at a candy bowl at work is rather silly.

No one has reported being worked up over a candy bowl.

The intent for a lighthearted discussion of the pros and cons of candy bowls in the offfice has been rife with assumptions and sprint runs up the ladder of inference.

Really, the whole topic was just: “what are the pros and cons of office candy bowls” and there is no evidence anyone is worked up. It’s not an “issue” any more than “what are you eating today” or “part your hair in center or on the side: discuss.”

All things considered getting worked up at a candy bowl at work is rather silly.

The intent for a lighthearted discussion of the pros and cons of candy bowls in the offfice has been rife with assumptions and sprint runs up the ladder of inference.

Really, the whole topic was just: “what are the pros and cons of office candy bowls” and there is no evidence anyone is worked up. It’s not an “issue” any more than “what are you eating today” or “part your hair in center or on the side: discuss.”

Silly me to get carried away.

The candy bowl is small potatoes to me. If someone in the candy bowl area doesn't want the candy bowl then the candy bowl is not small potatoes.

To be honest, when I first saw the OP title I was thinking of women n shot skirts.

{{{raises hand}}}

Yeah, I'll eat it all.

Don't remove the free candy simply because some people can't help but don't want to overindulge.

FIFY
:D

Of course I don't care - the charts say I'm at ideal weight (i.e. looking like a Biafran) no matter what I eat.

We’re having a spring Office fitness challenge. Get everyone to walk 10,000 steps a day for a month. And I feel like the biggest Scrooge, but I want to say, “Well, can we have all the admins remove their Candy bowls for the month, too? Otherwise what’s the point?”

So here’s the debate: pros and cons on Office Candy.
search?q=brown+soap+shaped+like+Candy

In this day and age, I am surprised there are candy bowls at work. Where I work there is a candy bowl after Halloween but no other time.

Back
Top Bottom