• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Deepak Chopra: The problem with atheism

Of course. If you dont have any valud arguments your position must be "higher"... Lol

Putting God into the position of yes/no, belief/unbelief doesn't really reflect the modern state of faith. There are gradations of belief. In fact, 17% of people who identify as atheists still go to church -- they have social and family reasons for their choice rather than religious ones.
Non-sequitur. Atheists attending church for reasons completely apart from the gods does not mean their position on the gods is not "no."

Listening to religious people talk about atheism is like listening to childless people talk about parenting.

- - - Updated - - -

And speaking of skepticism... I am highly skeptical of this claim:

Some studies indicate that scientists actually go to church more than the general population.

Well, if you consider the people in the forensics departments who go in there to investigate child abuse and tax fraud claims to be scientists, then I imagine they'd be in church a lot.

This seems like a good place to put a link to the Deepak Chopra random quote generator:
I wonder if there's a Deepak Magic 8 Ball?

"Ask again later, because our consciousness undertakes personal fulfillment."

"My spiritual sources say no, your heart is entangled in spontaneous sensations."

"Better not tell you now, believing in nothing but the material world is cold comfort."

Skepticism in many situations is the best tool available. To abandon it is to abandon reason.

It especially helps with charlatans like Chopra.

Skepticism in many situations is the best tool available. To abandon it is to abandon reason.

It especially helps with charlatans like Chopra.

Ding ding ding ding!

We have a winnah!

This is exactly why using logic and reason are a "lower" form of thinking. If you can learn to accept truths without logic and reason, you can attain the "higher" form of thinking available if you buy my book and pay to attend my lecture for a special price only available if you dial within the next 20 minutes and place your order! Operators are standing by!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/01/living/deepak-chopra-atheism/index.html

We all fall somewhere on the sliding scale of belief and unbelief, Deepak Chopra says
Skepticism is a way station on the way to a higher, more fulfilling kind of spirituality, he says
We all know we each have a trillion dollars hidden under our bed. We all know its there but some of us just don't believe it. Those who believe it know they can use it to change the world. Right the wrongs that exist in our lives and in our communities. Remove the poverty that runs rampart in the streets and make right the inequalities that demean our lives. That trillion dollars is there and we can use it to fix this world. Some of us are not sure if we want to believe it's there but we hope it's there as we've been told. For if we believe for a second that it isn't there, that this is a fantasy hoisted upon our hopes and dreams for a better life, then all is lost... Blah blah blah.

Deepak needs a life.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/01/living/deepak-chopra-atheism/index.html

We all fall somewhere on the sliding scale of belief and unbelief, Deepak Chopra says
Skepticism is a way station on the way to a higher, more fulfilling kind of spirituality, he says
We all know we each have a trillion dollars hidden under our bed. We all know its there but some of us just don't believe it. Those who believe it know they can use it to change the world. Right the wrongs that exist in our lives and in our communities. Remove the poverty that runs rampart in the streets and make right the inequalities that demean our lives. That trillion dollars is there and we can use it to fix this world. Some of us are not sure if we want to believe it's there but we hope it's there as we've been told. For if we believe for a second that it isn't there, that this is a fantasy hoisted upon our hopes and dreams for a better life, then all is lost... Blah blah blah.

Deepak needs a life.

You forgot to mention that quantum physics proves that being sentient gives you superpowers! Swoosh! Pow!

He's a bit like the Scientologists on psychiatric therapy or Shirley Maclaine on the afterlife (and previous life.) Who gives money/attention/credence to these people??? Nobody I know!!

He's a bit like the Scientologists on psychiatric therapy or Shirley Maclaine on the afterlife (and previous life.) Who gives money/attention/credence to these people??? Nobody I know!!

He just said atheists are bad. That alone guarantees him lots of book sales and more speaking opportunities. That his arguments are bad won't matter to the kind of people likely to be impressed by the fact that he said something bad about atheists.

I have a female relative and another female friend that has bought his books and thinks they are great. They get bent out of shape of you call Chopra a charlatan.

Back
Top Bottom