• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Define 'Street Fighter' please

Arctish

Centimillionaire
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic Humanist
There's a term being used on this board that appears to have more than one meaning but always carries implications of criminality and censure. So in the interest of clarity, I am once again starting a thread in order to clarify what the term means and to whom it should be applied.

So what does the term 'street fighter' mean? Dictionary.com has this:

noun
1. a person whose style of fistfighting was learned in the streets, as opposed to a trained or proficient boxer.

2. a person who deals with others in an aggressive, cunning manner

To that I will add:

3. Street Fighter is a video game franchise in which players control various characters as they duel in a martial arts tournament.

Is there something someone wants to add to the definition?

Clearly it is anyone that is capable of harming someone enough to create superficial scratches on the back of the victims bald head and​ capable of hitting someone in the nose.

That is stuff they only teach on the street!

It can mean someone who does learn his fighting outside of a normal program, or that uses fights outside out of the normal programs to solve problems. The normal programs usually have rules and a gentlemen's agreement on when to start and end a fight, and the rules involved.

Clearly it is anyone that is capable of harming someone enough to create superficial scratches on the back of the victims bald head and​ capable of hitting someone in the nose.

Yeah, he should have waited until he was knocked unconcious first. Maybe a broken vertabrae might qualify.

Someone who punches streets.

Why they do this, I don't know. Surely, someone with a psychology background has an explanation.

Yeah, he should have waited until he was knocked unconcious first. Maybe a broken vertabrae might qualify.
Anecdotally, my grandmother fell and hit concrete with her head and suffered debilitating brain injuries that never healed, and there was a lot of blood. She almost died.

While I don't expect a person to go just up to the line of live/dead, Zimmerman didn't seem to be remotely close to being in danger of a serious beatdown, forget his life.

- - - Updated - - -

It can mean someone who does learn his fighting outside of a normal program, or that uses fights outside out of the normal programs to solve problems. The normal programs usually have rules and a gentlemen's agreement on when to start and end a fight, and the rules involved.
Okay, so Zimmerman was Sting and Martin was Ric Flair and Martin kept thumbing Zimmerman in the eye and hit him with a steel chair?

Anecdotally, my grandmother fell and hit concrete with her head and suffered debilitating brain injuries that never healed, and there was a lot of blood. She almost died.

While I don't expect a person to go just up to the line of live/dead, Zimmerman didn't seem to be remotely close to being in danger of a serious beatdown, forget his life.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, so Zimmerman was Sting and Martin was Ric Flair and Martin kept thumbing Zimmerman in the eye and hit him with a steel chair?

Head injuries are always tricky and every time I've had to coach teams they make you go through concussion training. And the thing they always stress is that the person injuried can say they feel but have the symptoms and even then those symptoms might not show up until later.

I think it basically means "fights without rules". It contrasts to fighting in tournaments and the like where there are rules of conduct like "no hitting in the face", "no knifing in the balls", etc. Street fighting means that you just fuck your opponent up in any way which is available to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Head injuries are always tricky and every time I've had to coach teams they make you go through concussion training. And the thing they always stress is that the person injuried can say they feel but have the symptoms and even then those symptoms might not show up until later.
And he suffered from superficial injuries. Very minor scratches on his bald scalp.

There's a term being used on this board that appears to have more than one meaning but always carries implications of criminality and censure. So in the interest of clarity, I am once again starting a thread in order to clarify what the term means and to whom it should be applied.

So what does the term 'street fighter' mean? Dictionary.com has this:

noun
1. a person whose style of fistfighting was learned in the streets, as opposed to a trained or proficient boxer.

I have seen and heard this term used for Trump many times, but of course it is not literal.

Okay, so two people suggest

1. a person whose style of fistfighting was learned in the streets, as opposed to a trained or proficient boxer; a person who fights without rules.

3. a video game franchise in which players control various characters as they duel in a martial arts tournament.

1. a person whose style of fistfighting was learned in the streets, as opposed to a trained or proficient boxer; a person who fights without rules.

3. a video game franchise in which players control various characters as they duel in a martial arts tournament.
I had a comment on point 1. When did guns get introduced into MMA, because Zimmerman used one.

I had a comment on point 1. When did guns get introduced into MMA, because Zimmerman used one.

As Tom pointed out, it's rules without regard to the safety of others. But street fighting can encompass a lot of things.

Someone who punches streets.

Why they do this, I don't know. Surely, someone with a psychology background has an explanation.

I've done that, but it wasn't on purpose. I was just out of High School at the time, and the fight I was involved in actually started in a yard, but ended up in the street, so I'm not sure if it qualifies as a 'yard fight', or a 'street fight'. Anyway, I punched the guy twice, and he fell down in the street, but I wasn't done punching him yet, so he was on the ground when I threw the third punch, but he moved, so I inadvertently punched the street. I kicked him a couple of times after that, then walked away. He had friends there to take care of him, so it wasn't that big of a deal to leave him in the street. I think I actually broke my knuckle, my hand swelled up pretty bad, but I never had it looked at by a doctor, and it healed up fine.

I grew up in East St. Louis, in a rough neighborhood. You pretty much had to learn how to fight, one way or another, because you were likely to get beat up whether you knew how to fight or not. My father taught me boxing, so that helped give me a leg up, even though I was a small kind until I was about 15 and hit a growth spurt.

As Tom pointed out, it's rules without regard to the safety of others. But street fighting can encompass a lot of things.

A lot of things, but not dance. Let's just be clear on that. If your version of fighting involves any kind of choreographed musical number, you're not a street fighter.

A lot of things, but not dance. Let's just be clear on that. If your version of fighting involves any kind of choreographed musical number, you're not a street fighter.

We can add that and make it an Olympic sport.

Wut? Grease wasn't a documentary?

So the gang members in West Side Story aren't street fighters. Interesting.

So the gang members in West Side Story aren't street fighters. Interesting.

No. They can be fighters, but they can't call themselves street fighters. The term means something and that meaning does not include any kind of dance.

That's just the rule.

Back
Top Bottom