• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Defining Evolution

All scientific theories are constantly improved upon.. incomplete information is replaced with complete information, etc.. Biological evolution is just another example. If you want to call that "evolution evolving", I can't stop you.. although you would be mixing up terms mid-sentence.
No one claims that biological evolution started at the BB... that is just as silly as suggesting that the Industrial Revolution began sometime during the Jurassic period. for evolution to start, we must first have life. evolution started like YESTERDAY, in the grand scheme of the deep time involved in the forming of our universe... and that 'one day' that was 'yesterday' lasted 100's of millions of years.
Jesus was born at about 11:59PM and 50 seconds 'last night'. It is now about 12:00PM and a few seconds, on that time scale.

They mix up evolution with the big bang theory because they honestly don't know the difference, nor do they have a clue what either is.

As I said, they claim to be greater experts on biology than biologists and greater experts on physics than physicists, yet they don't actually know the basic definitions of any of the terms. That's what they get for learning biology and physics from preachers.

All scientific theories are constantly improved upon.. incomplete information is replaced with complete information, etc.. Biological evolution is just another example. If you want to call that "evolution evolving", I can't stop you.. although you would be mixing up terms mid-sentence.
Check  evolution (disambiguation) and  evolution (term).

I'm not really equivocating the word evolution when I describe the various stages of evolution's evolution. Cosmological evolution preceded biological evolution, which in turn preceded memetic evolution (well, so the story goes).

It's one thing for an element or particle to be selected for by its environment (different fundamental constants would have resulted in different fundamental particles, certain particles that were probably common in the first 10^-27 seconds might not be as common now, etc..), and another for genes to be selected by theirs, and another for imaginary entities (ideas, thought forms) to be selected by theirs.

I suppose some people think that evolution starts at biology, rather than at or before the BB. Their ideas wouldn't survive in a  noosphere that selects logical thoughts, although they will be preserved in a noosphere that selects humorous thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom