• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Deism, an intellectually serious position in previous centuries, now must reject scientific explanations

dbz

Basic Beliefs
Max 1:3 possible that Jesus b. Joseph/Pantera was a historical personage
Deism was an intellectually serious position a couple of centuries ago, when it was held by the likes of Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin—in a time when we simply had no known scientific explanations either for the existence of life on earth, or for the existence of the universe itself. It accounted for those facts while setting aside the other absurdities of organized religion.

But today we are no longer burdened by those limitations; we have (multiple! competing!) scientific explanations. To defend Deism, therefore, requires one to reject them… and to explain why.

Comment by Chris Miller on March 27, 2024 per Carrier (25 March 2024). "Carlo Alvaro's Closing Statement in Defense of his Kalam Cosmological Argument for Deism". Richard Carrier Blogs.

I am so persuaded by Kalām by explaining the argument. The way I have presented the argument is in a deductive form as follows:

From these premises
  • (1) All things that begin to exist came into existence by something else.
  • (2) The universe is something that began to exist.
it necessarily follows,
  • (3) The universe came into existence by something else.
The argument is formally valid. The question is whether the premises are true.

--Alvaro, Carlo (11 March 2024). "Is There at Least a Merely Deistic Kalam Cosmological Argument?". Richard Carrier Blogs.

The debate is about two worldviews, a (roughly speaking) naturalistic one according to which the existence of reality (and other questions) requires no supernatural cause or explanation, and a (roughly speaking) supernaturalistic view according to which existence is best explained in terms of a transcendent entity.
  • I believe that a god is the most plausible explanation.
Why? Because when I compare the two worldviews, I find many arguments in favor of a god to be cogent and sound. On the other hand, I find that the arguments in support of the naturalistic view are not cogent or sound.
Let me try to give a short overview. Take P1 (that all finite things, those things that begin to exist, were brought into existence by something else). If P1 were false, as Dr. Carrier argues, I would have to believe that it is possible that some of these things, sometimes, can come into being by nothing and from nothing. Dr. Carrier has a point here. He says, “Why not?” My problem is that I have excellent reasons to doubt his “Why not”.

The first reason is that it seems metaphysically absurd that something just materialize without reason—regardless of whether we are talking about events or objects within our universe or anywhere else.
  • The second reason is that we have empirical evidence that finite objects and events are always brought into being by something else.
  • The third reason is that given the complexity of the universe, I highly doubt that it came into being by nothing (here I am referring to truth, logic, morality, the fine tuning, etc).
  • The fourth reason applies to P2. Namely, I doubt that the universe can be past eternal. Here I am surprised that Dr. Carrier did not mention the B-theory, or static view, of time. I am surprised because the B-theory of time is the best argument against P2 because if time is an illusion, then there is no temporal sequence about which to worry. But I understand that this might have opened a bigger philosophical can of worms.
[...] [H]uman knowledge is incomplete and, maybe, as weird as it seems, we might not have 100% certainty of P1 and P2. But this is not strong enough an argument to make me doubt the truth of P1 and P2—just like solipsism is not enough to seriously make me doubt that there is an external world and other minds besides mine exist.
  • Therefore, in the end, I believe that my arguments tilt the scale on the side of P3, i.e., the universe was brought into existence by something else.
How do I then go from P3 to the existence of a deistic god? That is not simple. However, if one accepts that the universe is not eternal, and thus it was brought into being by something else, it would seem to me that the “something else” in question must be outside the causal chain, it must not be an event or a material object, it must not be a temporal object, and it must be endowed with a significant degree of freedom such that it can start a causal series. I think Dr. Carrier here ask me the following, “Assuming for the sake of argument that P3 is true, why does it have to be a god? There are other options.” Fair enough, but we did not even get there, and I think that a god is the best explanation.

-- Dr. Alvaro on March 27, 2024 at 11:51 am

• COMMENT BY Chris Miller on March 27, 2024

Speaking strictly for myself, I would still disagree on several points, but they could be prompts for discussion rather than obstacles to it. To summarize:
    • The Kalam itself, as you presented and defended it, does not get one to supernaturalism nor any transcendent entity. Reaching such a conclusion would definitely take additional steps.
    If P1 is false, yes, the alternative is that some things can come into existence from nothing. So? Dr. Carrier’s argument was not merely “why not?” (although that’s a valid question—why is that objectionable?); he offered links and citations, including to a published scientific article specifically defining a nothing-state from which a “something” could emerge, on the grounds (to oversimplify a bit) that “nothing” is a precarious and unstable condition that’s liable to collapse. You don’t take up this argument in any fashion.
    Instead, you object that something-from-nothing “seems metaphysically absurd.” That’s not an argument. That’s just personal intuition, which is notoriously unreliable and, for that matter, inconsistent from one individual to the next.
    Any empirical evidence based on objects and events within our spacetime is, of course, limited to our spacetime, not generalizable beyond it (e.g., to its origins).
    Complexity is also not an argument, especially when (again) grounded only in intuition. We have countless examples of more complex systems emerging from less-complex ones even within our spacetime. It’s worth noting in passing, however, that morality is not one of them (it’s a purely human construct, not a natural force), and also that arguments about “fine tuning” for human life tend to be grounded on flawed assumptions.
    Yes, Dr. Carrier casts doubt on P1 and P2. That’s why he wins: because the way you framed the problem, you set yourself the burden of foreclosing all doubt. As long as there is any credible doubt about P1 and P2, the Kalam fails. It must be logically necessary under all circumstances in order for P3 to follow. Merely “tilting the scale” is (as often noted) to offer an inductive argument rather than a deductive one, which moves the goalposts.
    Circling back around… even if the Kalam gets us to “something else,” further arguments grounded on “it would seem to me” are obviously open to objections in the form of “what about these other alternatives”? IOW, one could stipulate “something else” for the sake of argument, and still propose that Occam’s Razor leaves us with nothing more than some logically prior state of being, set of conditions, or combination of forces. As noted upthread by commenter Ash Bowie, for instance, these could include “either an eternal past (e.g. Sean Carroll, CIT), a multiverse (e.g. David Deutsch, Oxford), a cyclic model of big bangs and big crunches (Roger Penrose, Oxford), or some kind of quantum initial state (e.g. Alexander Vilenkin, Tufts).” On what basis can you dismiss those possibilities (or others!) in favor of something more complex (which any form of consciousness certainly is)?
    I wish the debate had worked its way through those points.

The B series of time is implied by the block universe of relativity theory, or Minkowski spacetime. If this ontology is correct, the universe had no beginning, and this is so even if there is no infinite past, for the reason that the big bang is not just a moment in time, but a location in spacetime, and hence no more privileged than any other spacetime event. In this way the universe can be “eternal” without having an infinite paste, in the sense that the totality of it just IS — past, present and future. This fact, if it is a fact, invalidates P2, and anyway, P2 sees to be committing a composition fallacy, illegitimately conflating the universe as a whole with all the things that it subsumes. But P1 seems false anyway due to the existence of virtual particles.

Deism is one potential solution to the universe problem, it isn't a good one. But neither is the universe exists naturally no where solution. Our existence makes no sense, period. A deity only pushes the buck back one step. Theism... well that is just silly.

I am so persuaded by Kalām by explaining the argument. The way I have presented the argument is in a deductive form as follows:

From these premises
  • (1) All things that begin to exist came into existence by something else.
According to the first law of thermodynamics, nothing physical ever begins to exist. It seems highly doubtful that anything begins to exist other than patterns in pre-existing mass/energy.
  • (2) The universe is something that began to exist.
The universe is everything that exists; If this statement were true, it would necessarily include any Gods that exist, just as it includes any galaxies or dust clouds that exist, whether or not we are able to detect them.
it necessarily follows,
  • (3) The universe came into existence by something else.
IF we were foolish enough to accept the two VERY doubtful premises, then that is correct; However, it is worth explicitly pointing out that it ALSO necessarily follows that any and all Gods came into exisence by something else.

This logic therefore cannot address (much less answer) the question of origins, as it either leads to an infinite regress, or to a special pleading fallacy.

The only ways out of this require the rejection of ine or both premises; and both are eminently suited to rejection.

The simplest solition is to posit an eternal or cyclic universe, wherein the first law of thermodynamics is universally applicable; The universe didn't begin to exist, it always existed (and always will). Only the patterns of mass/energy change.

Another possibility would be to accept the second premise, but abandon the first - if it is possible for stuff to begin to exist without cause, then the whole "problem" vanishes. Why one would assign this bizarre property to some hugely complex God, capable of making and managing universes, when assigning it to subatomic particles or merely to photons can explain everything, I have no clue; Humans just enjoy building unnecessarily complex models I guess.

So the Kalam logic leads us to conclude that the universe is eternal (first law of thermodynamics); OR that mass/energy can spintaneously arise without cause (hinted at by virtual particles); OR that a currently undetectable, sentient and powerful personality with a personal interest in your masterbatory habits has existed eternally (or came into existence without cause).

It would take a truly special kind of stupid to plump for the third option and declare it to be not only the most plausible, but the only possible solution.

Indeed, you would need to be a serious fan of needless complexity to even consider the third option at all.

So the Kalam logic leads us to conclude that the universe is eternal (first law of thermodynamics); OR that mass/energy can spintaneously arise without cause (hinted at by virtual particles);
Very well said. I read a book on this subject last year - A Universe From Nothing by Dr. Lawrence Krauss, and I found it somewhat dense and unintuitive. One distinction or wrinkle that he added is the question of whether the word "nothing" means empty space (no matter or energy) or of a condition where space itself does not exist. If I remember correctly, his opinion is that a universe can arise from either state, and there is nothing in the laws of physics that prohibit either case. None of the variations of the KCA I have seen proposed by creationists address this distinction.

So the Kalam logic leads us to conclude that the universe is eternal (first law of thermodynamics); OR that mass/energy can spintaneously arise without cause...

Following EricH's lead, I'm snipping your quote to edit out the third option you mentioned and which you know we are obligated to consider.

But the first two are so wacky that I think they are the ones which take "a special kind of stupid" to believe.

Option 1
A past-eternal, perpetual motion, groundhog day universe/multiverse/omniverse in which everything which can happen, (time + chance,) must have already happened an infinite number of times.

Option 2
An uncaused universe spontaneously and mysteriously popping into existence from nothing. Indeed, with this sort of Alice In Wonderland scenario, the universe is just as likely to spontaneously disappear for no reason. This begs the question, why did it take so long for 'the universe' to (eventually) happen? And Lawrence Krauss is either equivocating as to the word "nothing" which secretly means "something" or he is violating the law of excluded middle by invoking things that simultaneously exist while not existing.

These two options take more faith to believe than I could ever muster.

And deism?
Well, if you believe in a god nobody has ever heard from, a god that doesn't care, doesn't act, doesn't tell you what to do or not do...how does that make you any different than an atheist?

How about another option: a groundhog universe where, once it comes back around, comes back around on a manifold of the original, such that the next time the universe starts, every particle just "takes a step to the left", animating something like this:

Deism was cancelled out by Darwin's observations and postulates. The deists of the 18th century, had they been born post-Darwin, wouldn't have needed their carefully partitioned arguments for a creator. The biggest sticking point would have been removed. Things have only gotten more clarified in the century and a half after Darwin.
Jefferson et al., living a century later, could have then synthesized an atheist perspective (not that they would done so publically. Jefferson was called an atheist by his political opponents, and who knows -- but the famous Jefferson Bible has an NT with all the supernatural stuff deleted. Lincoln seems to have been a doubter on some Christian teachings, but kept almost all of it private, so we'll never know what conclusions he reached on conventional Christian dogma.)

How about another option: a groundhog universe where, once it comes back around, comes back around on a manifold of the original, such that the next time the universe starts, every particle just "takes a step to the left", animating something like this:

Indeed, there is no need for time to be infinite in order for it to have neither beginning nor end.

The equator has neither, but is finite in length.

Deism was cancelled out by Darwin's observations and postulates. The deists of the 18th century, had they been born post-Darwin, wouldn't have needed their carefully partitioned arguments for a creator. The biggest sticking point would have been removed. Things have only gotten more clarified in the century and a half after Darwin.
Jefferson et al., living a century later, could have then synthesized an atheist perspective (not that they would done so publically. Jefferson was called an atheist by his political opponents, and who knows -- but the famous Jefferson Bible has an NT with all the supernatural stuff deleted. Lincoln seems to have been a doubter on some Christian teachings, but kept almost all of it private, so we'll never know what conclusions he reached on conventional Christian dogma.)
Before he was president Lincoln wrote a tract against Christianity that was burned by friends who feared it would harm his political career.

That sounds very much like bilby likening it to the equator.
It is, except I'm thinking more "is it a possible quality of a set that the set creates a "circular" group insofar as it would theoretically come around to the beginning, but only after an infinite period? Or would this concept invoke contradiction against axiom?

Indeed, there is no need for time to be infinite in order for it to have neither beginning nor end.

This is the point of the eternalist or block picture of the universe. It does not extend infinitely into the past as counted from within the block, but since time is entirely within the universe, there was never a time that the universe did not exist.

This is the point of the eternalist or block picture of the universe. It does not extend infinitely into the past as counted from within the block, but since time is entirely within the universe, there was never a time that the universe did not exist.
Well, there was never a point along "our time dimension" that was not along "our time dimension"... I somehow perceive this as similar to saying "nowhere outside of this bar does there exist this bar". Technically it's true but it's ignoring that time can be both considered as a property.

Consider Zero Property. It is not a property of all sets, and while some sets have "zeroes", some sets with zeroes are in sets of sets that have a DIFFERENT zero property than their members, as a zero across members.

Time property is much like zero property in this way. I'm not sure if these properties are intrinsically related. Time or zero property could be something like an extension of the other?

I don't even know enough to actually declare what the formal definition of a time property would be other than "the past can be known but not decided; the future can be decided but cannot be known."

But my point is that saying something is "outside time" just means that some other system is not bound to the time property of one of its child systems.

A good question is whether child systems with a time property can occur as members of a system that lacks a time property.

And deism?
Well, if you believe in a god nobody has ever heard from, a god that doesn't care, doesn't act, doesn't tell you what to do or not do...how does that make you any different than an atheist?
Speaking only for myself,
My deism is not very different from atheism.
I avoid labeling myself atheist mainly because people commonly attribute hard atheism to me, when I am not. But my practical worldview is so similar that you could barely slip a Bible page in between.

I'm confident that there is more to reality than the material universe we can currently study and learn about. I'm just as confident that nobody knows anything important about the rest of reality. So I can make up anything I want to believe about it, it's a faith based belief, and I don't expect to justify immoral behavior or expect anyone to accept my beliefs of preference.
Tom

So the Kalam logic leads us to conclude that the universe is eternal (first law of thermodynamics); OR that mass/energy can spintaneously arise without cause...

Following EricH's lead, I'm snipping your quote to edit out the third option you mentioned and which you know we are obligated to consider.

But the first two are so wacky that I think they are the ones which take "a special kind of stupid" to believe.

Option 1
A past-eternal, perpetual motion, groundhog day universe/multiverse/omniverse in which everything which can happen, (time + chance,) must have already happened an infinite number of times.

Option 2
An uncaused universe spontaneously and mysteriously popping into existence from nothing. Indeed, with this sort of Alice In Wonderland scenario, the universe is just as likely to spontaneously disappear for no reason. This begs the question, why did it take so long for 'the universe' to (eventually) happen? And Lawrence Krauss is either equivocating as to the word "nothing" which secretly means "something" or he is violating the law of excluded middle by invoking things that simultaneously exist while not existing.

These two options take more faith to believe than I could ever muster.
'cept that theism only pushes the buck back. The universe has to have a creator... which is an uncreated creator. Doesn't take faith to believe that, but it takes a truck load of bad logic to insist it makes sense at all. And this is ignoring that god(s) have never imparted any wisdom of science that would be a game changer. Nothing proactive, merely reactive things learned centuries previously.

And deism?
Firstly, who said it is a "god". A creator would be a creator. Computer, upper level existence, some blind set of circumstances.

Religious people invented "god", a poorly defined answer to an even more poorly asked question. "God" is some sort of quantum state that has whatever characteristics necessary during a discussion with atheists.

Firstly, who said it is a "god". A creator would be a creator. Computer, upper level existence, some blind set of circumstances.

You can use whatever placeholder word for Creator you like.

You can use whatever placeholder word for Creator you like.
And MY point has been and continues to be that IF you wish to say "creator" = "god", then I'm a god, and I'm not worthy of worship, neither that of my creations nor anyone else.

I have told you repeatedly what my "omniscience" and "omnipotence" actually come from with respect to my creations, and I am NOT "Omnibenevolent".

If you want to equate creation to godhood, that's what you will run into. Therefore creator is not equivalent to god, or gods aren't "tri-Omni".

Back
Top Bottom