• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Democratic Debate 9/12/2019

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Had a moment of concern when my TV didn’t have a signal. But I rescanned the rabbit ears and I’m back in business.

Opening statements...

There’s a lot of humor going on here!

Andrew Yang is having a raffle drawing, Kamala Harris talks straight at him. Not a bad strategy to be in the news all week long, actually. Bernie needs to clear his throat.

Warren talks about middle class.
Biden, surprisingly, the 70-something guy, says, “we have to stop postponing things”. (??)

Bernie’s gonna pop a gasket. He’s shouting and finger-wagging, very hoarse.
Now Biden is shouting.

I think Warren explains Bernie’s plan much better than Bernie does.
Not that I agree with that plan, but she does a better job selling it.

Buttigieg, “I trust the American people to make the right choice for themselves...”

Wait, really? LOL
I mean I pretty much agree with your plan, bbut not with that argment.

And Bernie sounds like shit. He needs to calm down. He does not look presidential at all.

Harris pivots to Anti-Trump again. Rightly pointing out that the GOP is trying to kill affordable health care. But will folks be interested in that?

O’Rourke gets a turn! I’m glad they are letting folks dig deep into this topic

I also like the conversation on how things pivot from current ACA to new ideas.

Ouch! Julian digs at Biden for changing his words.

I like Andrew Yang’s answer bringing in how the health care system holds people hostage to jobs. But the “I’m Asian so I know a lot of doctors,” comment is weird and wrong.

Explicitly addressing racism... “what makes you best able to address it”

O’Rourke. Pulls no punches. It’s here. Answer includes reparations for the financial inequality.
Castro. I care.
Booker: we don’t need to call out racists, we need to call out racism. Attack systemic racism - I’ll create an office to deal with it.

Buttigieg, “In the same way that a dollar saved compounds, so does a dollar stolen.”
Plans to support education.

Harris - big audience reaction, she got to correct some misconceptions.
Klobuchar - also corrects the question to her.

“Mothers against blacks,” Biden?

Glad to hear the talk about specific kinds of weapons and what they are good for. No, it’s not “all guns” and the descriptions are very specific.

Booker: Don’t wait until it comes to your community to decide this is a problem. Decide to act when it happens in other neighborhoods.

Man, that guy is a clear talker! Love how he never misses a step.

Warren - It’s. Not just about mass shootings.
She calls out “Corruption pure and simple” and brings up the filibuster as the tool of that corruption.

Booker: Don’t wait until it comes to your community to decide this is a problem. Decide to act when it happens in other neighborhoods.

Man, that guy is a clear talker! Love how he never misses a step.

I like Booker as a speaker. He's made some votes I didn't care for that makes me question him, particularly his vote against letting Americans by drugs from other countries.

Yang details the financial advantages of immigrants.

Tariffs. Most candidates saying, no I don’t just yank the economy on day 1, but we do renegotiate asap.

To be honest, stating that 60% of Americans think there will be a recession next year is a risk of making a recession next year.

Harris just hammering on Trump. Every comment prefaced with how awful Trump is. Which is true, but I hope that listeners aren’t turned off. Didn’t like the small dude comment.

My daughter just came home and Bernie is talking. Her observation, “how is he even walking?”

Bernie needs to take a couple days off and give his voice a rest.

Back
Top Bottom