• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Democrats 2020

And of new auto factories in the last decade, many have been in left-leaning, supposedly profit-prohibitive California. What gives?

I hope that after Super Tuesday, enough candidates see the light and drop out of the race.

You haven't noticed corporations like Ford and Toyota among many others either cancelled moving their manufacturing overseas, or building plants in the States to manufacture their goods, while under " The Appeaser In Chiefs" stints most were in the process or had moved either South to Mexico, or overseas to low taxing nations?

You only "notice" that on FOX News. Elsewhere...
View attachment 26381

And -
Ford announces 12,000 layoffs, five plant closures across Europe

Job Cuts at Ford Motor to Total 7,000 by August

Also:

Trump trillion-dollar-plus deficits are putting America on a path to fiscal ruin
Though no one in Washington will admit it, our nation's finances are in deep trouble. Spending is up, revenue is down, and this will only get worse.

Ford is on the brink of bankruptcy. If we get a hard recession I don't think they will survive.

I hope that after Super Tuesday, enough candidates see the light and drop out of the race.

Warren raised #30 mil in February according to her campaign. That might have her stay in the race even if she does badly on Tuesday. Klobuchar and Buttigieg are likely out, that would leave Sanders, Biden and Bloomberg and possibly Warren left in the race.

Sanders will likely either do extremely well on Tuesday and have a daunting lead in delegates, or will do pretty well and have a good lead in delegates. The race them becomes about whether he'll win outright or win but fail to reach the threshold. Having said that, perhaps you'll see widespread tactical voting with moderates switching to whomever is the strongest opponent in each state.

Oops about previous content.

Of the main "lanes" of candidates, we now have only three:
  • Progressive: Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren
  • Centrist: Joe Biden, Pete Buttigieg, Amy Klobuchar, Mike Bloomberg
  • Not sure what to call her: Tulsi Gabbard
Some of them are likely to drop out after Super Tuesday: EQ, PB, and AK. They don't seem like they are offering anything special, as TG does, and as Andrew Yang did. TG wants to end US military adventures, while AY pushed a universal basic income.

Oops about previous content.

Of the main "lanes" of candidates, we now have only three:
  • Progressive: Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren
  • Centrist: Joe Biden, Pete Buttigieg, Amy Klobuchar, Mike Bloomberg
  • Not sure what to call her: Tulsi Gabbard
Some of them are likely to drop out after Super Tuesday: EQ, PB, and AK. They don't seem like they are offering anything special, as TG does, and as Andrew Yang did. TG wants to end US military adventures, while AY pushed a universal basic income.

Is ending US military adventures really "special"? I don't think that there are any politicians running today who favor the opposite. It's kinda why Tulsi got lapped IMO. It's clearly a race between Biden and Sanders.

Ending military adventures is TG's only issue, or close to her only issue. It seems to me that she sees herself as having a big mission, a big goal. Something like AY and UBI. Something that most of the other candidates don't seem to have. Maybe Bernie Sanders, however.

SC has claimed another candidate ... Buttigieg is quitting. And prior to Super Tuesday.

Probably better news for Biden than Sanders.

Warren raised #30 mil in February according to her campaign. That might have her stay in the race even if she does badly on Tuesday. Klobuchar and Buttigieg are likely out, that would leave Sanders, Biden and Bloomberg and possibly Warren left in the race.
Bless her heart, Delusional Warren thinks she can still win.
Why Elizabeth Warren thinks she can still win the nomination

Sanders will likely either do extremely well on Tuesday and have a daunting lead in delegates, or will do pretty well and have a good lead in delegates. The race them becomes about whether he'll win outright or win but fail to reach the threshold. Having said that, perhaps you'll see widespread tactical voting with moderates switching to whomever is the strongest opponent in each state.
It would be great if Bloomberg at least won Florida, if for nothing else than as a repudiation of Warren's politics of personal destruction. She is a bully.
I also think Bloomberg would be a far better general election candidate than Joe "which office am I running for again?" "not the other" Biden.

I wonder if Pete will endorse Biden prior to Tuesday or just sit it out?

Some polling I’ve seen referenced suggests his base would likely split fairly evenly between the other candidates, not sure how much stock I put in that.

Not a very convincing argument.
It's not an argument. It's an opinion. Not very different than you expressing a positive opinion of this position of Steyer's. Fleshing it out more would be off topic here.

It's even less convincing when you add an insult.
It's not an insult, but a simple statement of fact.

It's not emotional, but logical. We have to stop increasing the global temperature.
It's not logical at all. Yes, we have to do something about climate change. But it is very emotional to react to this huge and very complex problem with simplistic solutions like "keep it in the ground"
There are around 200 million cars and light trucks in the US today. Those need fuel. We can't snap fingers and turn them all into Teslas. And even if we could, they would need power too. Natural gas, majority of which comes from fracked wells, has displaced a lot of coal in power generation in recent years.
main.png
Combined cycle natural gas power plants are very efficient and methane (majority component of natural gas) is significantly less carbon intensive than coal, not to mention much cleaner regarding other pollutants like sulfur.
The fact is that we still need oil and gas, and pipelines are by far the best ways to move large quantities of them. Unrealistic proposals are emotional, not logical.

Surely if Pete is quitting now, it’s less about how he did in SC and more about how he’s polling in the Super Tuesday states? I’ve not seen him ahead in any of them.

But regarding black voters, the narrative around his issues as mayor may have hurt him with more than just black voters.

Surely if Pete is quitting now, it’s less about how he did in SC and more about how he’s polling in the Super Tuesday states? I’ve not seen him ahead in any of them.

Amy needs to drop out too. She should have been gone already. The party needs consolidation. Pete likely did this now for just this reason. He's concerned over how much damage a Sanders nomination could do to the party. I wish people could see how full of shit The Sixty Trillion Dollar Man is. Not every con man has a comb-over and bad spray tan. Sometimes they just yell, wave their arms, and promise you everything you ever dreamed of.

But regarding black voters, the narrative around his issues as mayor may have hurt him with more than just black voters.

Doubtful. It was likely just a lack of name recognition. And whether or not he had "issues" would depend on what left leaning media you're consuming. Being reelected with 80% of the vote in a city with a population that is 52% white hardly points to issues with the black or Hispanic populations.

People turn backs on Mike Bloomberg at Bloody Sunday church service in Selma | US news | The Guardian
Mike Bloomberg faced a small but tense protest at the historic Brown Chapel in Selma, Alabama, on Sunday, a handful of people standing and turning their backs on the former New York mayor as he spoke in the pulpit.

Bloomberg, Haygood said, presided over the same kind of tactics as mayor of New York. As he realized the Democratic candidate was not planning to address that issue, Haygood said, he decided to turn his back.

“I thought this would be the place where he could finally say once and for all, ‘Let me own what I did, let me atone for it,’” Haygood said. “He didn’t even touch it which is more disrespectful. And some of the foot soldiers were in the building, who were brutalized.”
Joe Biden had a different welcome.
He earned a warm welcome at the chapel, where he spoke about the legacy of the civil rights movement and the need for healing in the face of division.

“When I get up in the morning sometimes I wonder whether its 1920 or 2020,” he said. “I’m serious, think about it.”

Bloody Sunday remembered: civil rights marchers tell story of their iconic photos | US news | The Guardian
It was one of the most celebrated events of civil rights movement: a march of thousands, met with violence and teargas, that was supposed to cement the right to vote for millions of African Americans who had been denied it by the white majority.

On Sunday, the last generation of living civil rights leaders and some of the 2020 Democratic presidential candidates are gathering in the small town of Selma, Alabama, to celebrate the 55th anniversary of the Selma-to-Montgomery marches.

Which is disappointing because there's a guy sitting in the White House right now who only had - literally - token black support. What's more disappointing is that once Klobuchar takes a look at reality (barring a sweep of Super Tuesday) the race will be down to the white septuagenarian candidates. And the two front-runners have been in Washington longer than some of those "young voters" the party wants to target have been alive.

I don't want to be "ageist," but take a look at the last few winning Democratic candidates. Obama was still in his 40s when he won. So was Clinton. Carter was a bit older (in his 50s), and then of course there was Kennedy. LBJ is the outlier in the last half century or so, having been in his 60s when he became President, but he died before he reached the ages of Sanders, Biden, and Bloomberg. Warren is the "spring chicken" of the group, but if elected she would still be the oldest President to ever take office.

Granted, people are living longer, but seriously Democrats...what the hell? Is their nobody in your party under the age of 70 that's worthy of your nomination? You claim to want to appeal to the younger generation, but your two leading candidates for 2020 are older than both Bill Clinton and Al Gore, who left office almost 20 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom