• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Democrats trying to unseat each other III

Cori Bush won't even acknowledge that Hamas is a terrorist organization.

In Missouri, Cori Bush Fights for Survival Against an AIPAC-Backed Democrat

NY Times said:
Standing outside an early voting location at a public library in Ferguson, on the same streets where she led protests for racial justice in 2014, Ms. Bush declined to call Hamas a terrorist group.

“We were called terrorists during Ferguson,” she said of herself and other Black activists who took to the streets after the killing of Michael Brown, an unarmed Black teenager, by a white police officer. “Have they hurt people? Absolutely. Has the Israeli military hurt people? Absolutely.”
If false equivalence were an Olympic sport, she'd be shoo-in for the gold.
I surely hope she gets sent packing tomorrow. She is an embarrassment not just to all Missourians, but to all Americans as well.

Another comment:
blartuc • 5d ago

I live in NY. The attack ads against Bowman were relentless and extremely often. Misleading at best, and at times, just pure bullshit. Bottom line is, it works. Unfortunately, the majority of Democratic politicians are not looking to change a thing
Because they aren't being bitten in their rear ends.

Cori Bush Primary Race Is Flooded With AIPAC Money Over Her Support for Ceasefire | Teen Vogue
“My daughter, who is 23 now, has less rights to her own body than I had when I was her age,” Bush tells Teen Vogue. “And I have to fight to make sure she has what she needs and every other person that would need those services.”

“Fighting for something is how we lead,” says Bush. “We lead by showing up. If we really believe in an issue, we put ourselves on the line for that issue. St. Louis means that much to me. I don't want St. Louis and the people across this country harmed. That is the difference between being someone who supports something and someone who will fight for it. I'm fighting to actually see change.”

In Bush’s two terms in Congress, she’s become known for her leadership on reproductive justice and abortion rights. The former activist is one of the most visible, consistent, progressive voices on Capitol Hill, pushing for student debt forgiveness and arguing for the protest rights of young pro-Palestine demonstrators. And that visibility has made her a target.
Then about her activism.
Many of those fights are risky, especially for a congresswoman still early in her political career. Bush says she’s okay with going against the grain and occasionally ruffling feathers. Opposing legislation and risking backlash is worth the risk if it’s in service of the communities she represents. The challenges she has faced in her personal life including poverty, homelessness, and living paycheck to paycheck — alongside finding her political footing protesting with her fellow St. Louisans during the Ferguson Uprising — have given her a different approach to electoral politics. For example, sleeping on the steps of the U.S. Capitol to pressure President Biden and congressional Democrats into extending the eviction moratorium was unconventional, but it worked. The stakes are always present, so for Bush, the fight for resources, rights, visibility, and access is always on.

“I've never forgotten what it felt like to be hungry, those days when I only fed my kids [and] I didn't eat,” Bush explains. “I've never forgotten what it felt like to be evicted from my home and have to put all of our belongings in trash bags because I couldn't afford boxes….That's how I approach legislation. That's how I approach being an elected official, doing the work for everybody in this district, but starting with those who have the greatest need, starting with those that people don't talk about or they don't see.”

If Bush loses, it won't just be due to AIPAC! In the last congress, she missed 232 votes. That's a lot of stinking sick days! It was the most missed votes of any congressperson. She voted against the very popular infrastructure bill (say what?). She prioritizes Gaza over helping her district. And she's had some shady financial transactions (paying her security firm).

AdImpact Politics on X: "With new reservations added today, #MO01 has become the second most expensive House primary on record ($18.2M). It is second only to this year's #NY16 primary, which also featured a Squad incumbent and significant spending from United Democracy Project. (pic link)" / X
  • NY-16 2024 -- $25.4M
  • MO-01 2024 -- $18.2M
  • OR-06 2022 -- $17.8M
  • GA-07 2022 -- $15.9M
  • VA-05 2024 -- $15.4M
  • MI-11 2022 -- $14.3M
  • IL-15 2022 -- $12.5M
  • NH-01 2022 -- $12.0M
  • OK-04 2024 -- $11.5M
  • MI-13 2022 -- $11.4M
This source claims that this will be the second most expensive House primary contest on record - from what I've seen elsewhere, that is not very surprising.

If Bush loses, it won't just be due to AIPAC! In the last congress, she missed 232 votes. That's a lot of stinking sick days! It was the most missed votes of any congressperson.
Evidence: {}

Lifetime voting records of United States Senators and Representatives in the 117th Congress - Ballotpedia
Report Cards for 2022 - Missed Votes - All Representatives - GovTrack.us
CB missed only 0.9% of votes in 2021-22. I don't have any numbers for 2023-24.

She voted against the very popular infrastructure bill (say what?).
Carefully plucking that vote out of its context.

The Squad’s fears about the Build Back Better Act and Joe Manchin were right - Vox - "Progressives’ biggest fear about the Build Back Better Act has come to pass" - "There’s a reason they wanted the social spending bill tied to infrastructure."

"The bills were coupled for weeks but were eventually separated due to pressure from House moderates and an assurance from President Joe Biden that he’d secure a yes vote from Manchin on the Build Back Better Act."

H.R.3684 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act | Congress.gov | Library of Congress - in the final vote, CB was joined by Jamaal Bowman, AOC, Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Tlaib, and Ilhan Omar.

She voted yes in an earlier vote on that bill and when some of the missing parts came out in H.R.5376 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress she voted yes on it in both an earlier vote and the final vote

She prioritizes Gaza over helping her district.
How is that any different from supporting the Netanyahu regime over helping one's district? Like what Ritchie Torres D-NY-15 is doing.

And she's had some shady financial transactions (paying her security firm).
She is cooperating with the investigation of that, and I don't think that that is much worse than (say) Clarence Thomas's all-expenses-paid vacation trips.

If Bush loses, it won't just be due to AIPAC! In the last congress, she missed 232 votes. That's a lot of stinking sick days! It was the most missed votes of any congressperson.

Lifetime voting records of United States Senators and Representatives in the 117th Congress - Ballotpedia
Report Cards for 2022 - Missed Votes - All Representatives - GovTrack.us
CB missed only 0.9% of votes in 2021-22. I don't have any numbers for 2023-24.

She voted against the very popular infrastructure bill (say what?).
Carefully plucking that vote out of its context.

The Squad’s fears about the Build Back Better Act and Joe Manchin were right - Vox - "Progressives’ biggest fear about the Build Back Better Act has come to pass" - "There’s a reason they wanted the social spending bill tied to infrastructure."

"The bills were coupled for weeks but were eventually separated due to pressure from House moderates and an assurance from President Joe Biden that he’d secure a yes vote from Manchin on the Build Back Better Act."

H.R.3684 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act | Congress.gov | Library of Congress - in the final vote, CB was joined by Jamaal Bowman, AOC, Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Tlaib, and Ilhan Omar.

She voted yes in an earlier vote on that bill and when some of the missing parts came out in H.R.5376 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress she voted yes on it in both an earlier vote and the final vote

She prioritizes Gaza over helping her district.
How is that any different from supporting the Netanyahu regime over helping one's district? Like what Ritchie Torres D-NY-15 is doing.

And she's had some shady financial transactions (paying her security firm).
She is cooperating with the investigation of that, and I don't think that that is much worse than (say) Clarence Thomas's all-expenses-paid vacation trips.

Missing all those votes is odd. If she is medically unable to perform she should consider stepping aside. Secondly, regarding the infrastructure bill, if congress had waited until every single objection had been addressed, it would never had been passed. And I don't care about her previous votes on it. Either she voted for it, or she didn't. And the fact is that it is popular legislation in her district. And she can't take credit for that.

Meanwhile America tells Congress they are fed up and aren't going to take it anymore... by sending 95% of incumbents to the General Election.

Cori Bush loses her primary.
It wasn't even particularly close.

Cori Bush loses primary in latest blow to progressive ‘squad’

A silver lining to cap off today.

Looks like it might have been a good thing that she lost. She seems to be going a little loco:

I had forgotten, but she also failed to vote for a crucial budget approval bill. Again, I think that it's fine to be socially active. That's what politicians do. But you can't forgot about the people who elected you.

Disaster. :(

Missouri 1st Congressional District Primary Election Results 2024: Cori Bush vs. Wesley Bell - The New York Times
Wesley Bell 51.2%, Cori Bush 45.6%, Maria Chappelle-Nadal 2.6%, Ron Harshaw 0.6%

She lost by 5.6%, not nearly as much as how much Jamaal Bowman lost.

-

Michigan U.S. Senate Primary Election Results 2024: Harper vs. Slotkin - The New York Times
Amusing to note Justin Amash running for Senate as a Republican.

Justin Amash - Ballotpedia
Amash represented Michigan's 3rd Congressional District as a Republican from 2011 to 2019. From 2019 to 2021, Amash represented the district as an independent.[10] In April 2020, Amash retired from Congress to run as a Libertarian in the U.S. Presidential election.[11] He suspended his presidential campaign in May 2020. [12] Amash said he ran for Senate because “We need a principled, consistent constitutional conservative in the Senate—someone with a record of taking on the bipartisan oligarchy, defending sound money and free speech, fighting the surveillance state and military-industrial complex, and protecting all our rights.”[13] The Detroit Free Press endorsed Amash.[14]
He didn't run for anything in 2022 or 2024.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez | Thank you, @coribush. … | Instagram
Thank you, @coribush. For putting the people first. For not backing down. For protecting millions of people from eviction. For defending abortion rights. For standing up for defenseless and innocent children and adults alike in Gaza. For facing down AIPAC and their millions of dollars in spending. For putting it all on the line for others. If AIPAC’s position was right and popular, they wouldn’t have to dump the largest sums of big money in American history to unseat the small handful of people who reject their extremism. At the end of the day, this is about basic human rights. The people will always know where you stood: with them. Thank you. 💜
She's right about how much money AIPAC spent to unseat CB and JB. They've successfully attacked several other candidates with their super big spending, with few survivors, like Summer Lee.

As to CB's missed votes, I've found a chart: Cori Bush, Representative for Missouri's 1st Congressional District - GovTrack.us

She was between 0% and 1.5% of votes missed until the middle of 2023: Apr-Jun: 15.0%, Jul-Sep: 47.8%. Then it dropped down: Oct-Dec: 2.8%, 2024 Jan-Mar: 1.0%. Then it rose again: Apr-Jun: 24.2%, Jul(only): 69.2%.

Did CB have some personal crisis in the middle of 2023?

govtrack.us notes: "We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses, major life events, and running for higher office."

Sanders, AOC Speak Out After Cori Bush Loss: “We Have to End Citizens United” | Truthout

Bernie Sanders on X: "AIPAC had to spend $8.5 million to get 51% of the vote to defeat Cori Bush. Billionaires buying elections is not what this country is supposed to be about. We have to end Citizens United and super PACs and move to public funding of elections." / X

I like this response to one of the responses:
August Monsoon 🌧️ on X: "@lauferlaw @BernieSanders Person with a lot of direct marketing experience here. They absolutely would not do it if it didnt have an ROÍ. The absurd role of big money our elections is extremely unpopular across the political spectrum. You are an outlier." / X

Waleed Shahid 🪬 on X: "$280 per vote against Jamaal Bowman and Cori Bush has got to be some cost per vote global record. (pic link)" / X
I'd have to check his numbers, but his numbers are approximately correct, and he has a chart of spending per voter on Presidential elections:
  • Donald Trump (2016) $5.8
  • Barack Obama (2012) $12.8
  • Barack Obama (2008) $3.0
  • George Bush (2004) $8.0
  • George Bush (2000) $5.5
  • Bill Clinton (1996) $4.3
  • Bill Clinton (1992) $4.4

Back to the article.
AIPAC’s super PAC, the United Democracy Project (UDP), spent $8.5 million on the campaign to oppose Bush, helping to make it the second-most expensive House primary in history — only beaten by Rep. Jamaal Bowman’s (D-New York) primary in June, in which UDP poured $14.5 million into electing a pro-Israel challenger to Bowman.

To many who championed the two lawmakers for speaking out against Israel, the two losses were a show of AIPAC’s outsized influence on elections and the ability for deep-pocketed interest groups to buy elections.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on why she thinks Tim Walz is the right VP pick - YouTube - nice interview. Truthout quotes her:
Bowman and Bush “spoke courageously on issues that are often very difficult to talk about in mainstream politics,” Ocasio-Cortez said. “And I think that is one of the reasons why they have earned so much support: Because they’re willing to put their careers on the line to advocate for the issues … and the viewpoints that they think are right.”

Ocasio-Cortez pointed out that money has an “enormous” influence on politics and even a candidate’s individual financial situation can play a role in their election.

“All of that money was spent against them by a big money system of super PACs and difficult to trace political contributions. That, to me, speaks to the corrupting role of our current campaign finance system and the fact that it is very hard to be a working class American that gets elected to office and stay in office,” the lawmaker said.

AIPAC Millions Help Wesley Bell Beat Cori Bush, Election Results
After spending more than $17 million to topple Rep. Jamaal Bowman, D-N.Y., in June, AIPAC shifted its focus toward ousting Bush. The group poured more than $8 million into the race to unseat Bush in less than two months.

Outside groups dumped $18.2 million into the race. Bell’s backers outspent groups supporting Bush roughly 4 to 1. AIPAC’s super PAC spent $8.5 million backing Bell’s campaign. Democratic Majority for Israel PAC spent half a million, and major Democratic donor Reid Hoffman’s Mainstream Democrats PAC spent $1.5 million in support of Bell.

Justice Democrats and the Working Families Party spent just under $3 million in support of Bush.
Some cryptocurrency PAC spent big on opposing both JB and CB. I remember some cryptocurrency PAC's in action in 2022, though I'd have to research this to be sure. Their goals seem to be (1) reduce troublesome government regulation and (2) get government support, like bailouts whenever they want to be bailed out.

AIPAC’s money was spent on voter engagement efforts and phone banking in addition to digital and mail ads. One of the mailers, first reported by The Intercept, included images that distorted Bush’s features. AIPAC also helped bundle at least two-thirds of Bell’s campaign haul, Sludge reported.

Then about Wesley Bell.
In a phone call last summer, Bell promised Bush he would not run against her. At the time, he was running for the U.S. Senate in Missouri. As AIPAC beefed up its campaign last fall to oust Squad members over ceasefire calls, Bell abandoned the Senate run and entered the House race.

As the congressional race heated up, Bell’s critics in Missouri said he had failed to follow through on promises he made while campaigning for prosecutor. Civil rights groups published a report last month criticizing Bell’s office for failing to implement reforms and overseeing a steady rise in the jail population during his time in office. Others noted that while he campaigned on not seeking the death penalty, he let death penalty cases proceed without a challenge.

Bell’s critics have also complained about comments he made shortly after Brown’s killing in 2014 that downplayed the racial divide in Ferguson
After Michael Brown’s Killing, Wesley Bell Called for “Accountability on Both Sides”
The AIPAC-backed challenger to Rep. Cori Bush also said the decision not to release Darren Wilson’s side of the story was “tragic.”

Three months after police officer Darren Wilson killed 18-year-old Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, in 2014, setting off what became the Black Lives Matter movement, Wesley Bell — the current St. Louis prosecutor running to unseat Rep. Cori Bush — told a local news radio show that there wasn’t a strong racial divide in Ferguson.
What both-sides-ism. He'd make a good centrist commentator.

Sanders, AOC Speak Out After Cori Bush Loss: “We Have to End Citizens United” | Truthout

Bernie Sanders on X: "AIPAC had to spend $8.5 million to get 51% of the vote to defeat Cori Bush. Billionaires buying elections is not what this country is supposed to be about. We have to end Citizens United and super PACs and move to public funding of elections." / X

I like this response to one of the responses:
August Monsoon 🌧️ on X: "@lauferlaw @BernieSanders Person with a lot of direct marketing experience here. They absolutely would not do it if it didnt have an ROÍ. The absurd role of big money our elections is extremely unpopular across the political spectrum. You are an outlier." / X

Waleed Shahid 🪬 on X: "$280 per vote against Jamaal Bowman and Cori Bush has got to be some cost per vote global record. (pic link)" / X
I'd have to check his numbers, but his numbers are approximately correct, and he has a chart of spending per voter on Presidential elections:
  • Donald Trump (2016) $5.8
  • Barack Obama (2012) $12.8
  • Barack Obama (2008) $3.0
  • George Bush (2004) $8.0
  • George Bush (2000) $5.5
  • Bill Clinton (1996) $4.3
  • Bill Clinton (1992) $4.4

Back to the article.
AIPAC’s super PAC, the United Democracy Project (UDP), spent $8.5 million on the campaign to oppose Bush, helping to make it the second-most expensive House primary in history — only beaten by Rep. Jamaal Bowman’s (D-New York) primary in June, in which UDP poured $14.5 million into electing a pro-Israel challenger to Bowman.

To many who championed the two lawmakers for speaking out against Israel, the two losses were a show of AIPAC’s outsized influence on elections and the ability for deep-pocketed interest groups to buy elections.

Yea, it seems to me that she had some kind of health issue preventing her from voting or being present. Don't know. But clearly she had some higher priorities then. Again, I didn't like her votes not supporting the infrastructure bill and the budget balancing bill. I think that there is a chance that Wesley will be much better than he's being portrayed. He has a very impressive background.

Fiery concession speech from Cori Bush sparks criticism among Jewish community members - YouTube
Like how her criticism of AIPAC was like a certain stereotype of Jews as unscrupulous influence-buying moneybags. But that's how AIPAC acts, like some unscrupulous influence-buying moneybags.

Raw video: Rep. Cori Bush concedes 1st Congressional District primary race to Wesley Bell - YouTube
AIPAC, I'm coming to tear your kingdom down. What you didn't want to do was allowing me to get radicalized even more because this is the thing. I ain't scared. I don't fear you.

Lots of interesting discussion, like some people objecting to her doing that protest vote against the bipartisan infrastructure bill of 2021. Some people didn't think that CB was that good, that she was more interested in grandstanding than serving her community, but there were unflattering things about WB also.

From the first link, some people were glad that she unseated Lacy Clay, and some of them went on to say that she was not much better. Also, someone claimed that WB much prefers being in office and doing lots of "community engagement" to doing the work of the office, that he is a showhorse politician rather than a workhorse one.

That NYT page on the election has a diagram of where the two candidates did best. CB in St. Louis City, WB in St. Louis County outside the city.

From the third link,
Severe_Elderberry_13

As a constituent of this district, fuck Wesley Bell. St Louis has a unique city/county divide, and that drives our elections. Cori’s district was gerrymandered after her initial election to include a lot more racist white people. She won in the city, but she lost the majority-white, most conservative suburbs that were intentionally added to her district. Our “Democracy” is dead, the lobbies and corporations are now “The People”

1straycat

Interesting. Sounds like Jamal Bowman's race, in which AIPAC piled onto a race where the fundamentals already had shifted in their favor. That way they claim to still be very powerful after winning, while it's unclear how effective they really were.
AIPAC's campaigning added a sizable bonus. I'll estimate how much for 2022 and 2024, with numbers from Ballotpedia.
  • JB: +8.8 (est.), -9.0
  • CB: +39.0 (est.), -5.6
I estimated the 2022 numbers by consolidating the other candidates, so it's a worst-case number.

Ryan Grim on X: "MN AG Keith Ellison ..." / X
MN AG Keith Ellison excited at the possibility of @JamaalBowmanNY taking on Ritchie Torres next cycle -- who won't see this b/c he blocks me:

Ellison to @DropSiteNews: "That'd be a very good thing, interesting development. I"ll put it like this, none of us own these seats."
with video. Some responses:
George Albro on X: "@ryangrim @JamaalBowmanNY @DropSiteNews Wow! ..." / X
Wow! That would be such a fantastic race. And the irony: Torres, the country’s #1 opportunist, sold his soul to AIPAC, endorsed Jamaal’s opponent, ignores his constituents’ needs (the poorest Cong. District in the U.S.) while he obsessively pimps for war criminals, has bought himself a competitive primary. Let’s see him explain to his POC constituents the blood of tens of thousands of children on his hands.
Jackie Boy ™️ on X: "@ryangrim @JamaalBowmanNY @DropSiteNews
@RitchieTorres they might be coming for you, Man.
@AIPAC gonna have to invest another $20M to keep you safe." / X

That's why I'm skeptical about the prospects of such an effort. AIPAC seems willing to spend whatever it takes.

Yesenia 🌵 on X: "@ryangrim @JamaalBowmanNY @DropSiteNews @RitchieTorres can’t wait to see you go 🫡" / X

Jamaal Bowman allies buzz about possible Ritchie Torres challenge
“Many people I spoke to want this to happen and personally I think it makes sense,” said Bhaskar Sunkara, a longtime Democratic Socialist big shot now serving as president of The Nation, a far-left magazine. “I think it’s plausible and I think he would be viable.”

Torres, the first gay Afro-Latino in Congress, represents the neighboring 15th district, a much poorer area in the Bronx where Team Bowman believes his socialist message could resonate.
It will be hard to unseat RT, however.
In addition to nearly $10 million in his campaign war chest, and an iron dome of support from Jews in Riverdale, Torres expects to have considerable financial resources from pro-Israel allies and the backing of Latinos.

Progressive fury with AIPAC rises over Cori Bush's loss
“She was such a fighter for everyday people,” said one progressive organizer who was cheering for both Bush’s and Bowman’s reelection efforts.

“Now all that district has is a Democratic nominee who has proven that his loyalty rests with big money interests that don’t give a damn about hungry babies in St. Louis,” the progressive said.
An AIPAC spokesman said “Our sole criterion for supporting candidates or opposing candidates is their position on the U.S.-Israel relationship,” and “The pro-Israel mainstream has sent a powerful message that America stands with Israel as it battles Iranian terrorist proxies,” and “Voters across America are rejecting anti-Israel voices in favor of candidates who understand the vital importance of the U.S.-Israel relationship.”

What a big fat lie. AIPAC avoids the issue of Israel in its campaigns. Meaning that many people who believe that Israel has done great wrongs likely ended up voting for AIPAC-supported candidates.

What to do about AIPAC?

Changing the structure of campaign finances?
Pushing for changes would “empower democracy by amplifying small-dollar donors, increasing transparency in funding, and lowering barriers for everyday candidates,” he said.
Then noting Bernie Sanders again: Bernie Sanders on X: "AIPAC had to spend $8.5 million to get 51% of the vote to defeat Cori Bush. Billionaires buying elections is not what this country is supposed to be about. We have to end Citizens United and super PACs and move to public funding of elections." / X

Back
Top Bottom