• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Democrats trying to unseat each other III

But some on the Left expect things to get worse before they get better.
“I haven’t heard of an actual strategy to combat AIPAC money deciding races. If I’m being totally honest, I haven’t seen a cohesive or significant left strategy in quite some time,” said Tim Black, an independent media figure with progressive leanings who hosts a popular YouTube show.
and
“I think the Democratic ticket would rather lose the election than defy Israel,” said the left-wing voice, who is in touch with prominent leaders in the movement. “I would love to be wrong about that.”

“In the short term, voters looking for decency and morality on this issue will be very frustrated,” the source said, calling it “a runaway freight train.”

“Both the populist left and right are getting more furious about our Israel policy every passing day,” the source said. “There will be a huge uprising next year, if this conflict continues, no matter who is president. And if Israel starts this giant war in the Middle East and we back them, there will be the largest protests this country has ever seen.”
Largest? Maybe the largest since the Vietnam War, which had huge protests.

Cori Bush herself: “AIPAC, I’m coming to tear your kingdom down.” Which got a lot of criticism, like from White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre: “This kind of rhetoric is inflammatory and divisive and incredibly unhelpful. We’re going to continue to condemn any type of political rhetoric in that way, in that vein.”

AIPAC is not involving itself in Ilhan Omar's primary, tomorrow as I write this, in MN-05.

“Zionists for Don Samuels” Raising Big Money to Oust Ilhan Omar
In AIPAC’s absence, a Samuels campaign staffer and pro-Israel super PAC donors strategize to oust another Squad member.

Members of a WhatsApp group founded by wealthy pro-Israel donors coordinated to infuse last-minute cash into Don Samuels’s primary race against Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn.

The members of the group — which included a consultant who at the time was working for the Samuels campaign as well as far-flung political donors — discussed raising six-figure sums for a political action committee, strategies for campaign phone banks, and an effort to marshal Republican voters to boost Samuels in Tuesday’s open primary.
Six figures? Not quite the eight figures of AIPAC. So why did AIPAC skip on that race? AIPAC skipped on Summer Lee's one in PA-12, letting her win a solid victory.
Whereas pro-Israel groups in Bush and Bowman’s races ran ads about issues other than Israel itself, the Samuels campaign has focused on Omar’s calls for a ceasefire, her denouncing the war in Gaza as a genocide, and allegations of antisemitism against the incumbent for her stances on Israel.
I must give them credit for campaigning on these issues, rather than trying to hide them as AIPAC did. AIPAC's strategy likely got many votes from Israel-critical voters.

DS is running again against IO, and as of June 30, he is behind in fundraising, $535,000 vs. IO's $1.6 million. But after CB was defeated, DS got another $100,000 in the next 24 hours.

DS's campaigners, however, have stayed in touch with AIPAC.
“The campaign is in regular and will continue to be in regular communication with AIPAC,” he wrote on July 24. “Several members of my campaign staff, myself included, have intimate relationships with active and Former executive member of AIPAC.”

AIPAC is not involving itself in Ilhan Omar's primary, tomorrow as I write this, in MN-05.

“Zionists for Don Samuels” Raising Big Money to Oust Ilhan Omar
200w.gif

Dare we dream? Alas, I believe she is too well entrenched in her D+30 district.

I'm happy to report this election news.

First,
Team AOC on X: "🗳️ @ilhan's primary election is TODAY!
Let's get out the vote, CD5! Polls are open until 8PM, and voters can find their polling location here: (link)" / X

Team Ilhan on X: "GOOD MORNING CD5! Polls are now open. Make your voice heard today and cast your ballot for @IlhanMN!
Find your polling place here: (links)" / X

The main story:
Minnesota 5th Congressional District Primary Election Results 2024 - The New York Times

It took some time to count the votes, and at 21:20 CDT, those in Anoka County were counted:

Ilhan Omar 50.8%, Don Samuels 47.6%, Nate Schluter 0.9%, other 0.6%

Since this county is rather suburban, it made me optimistic about the results in the more urban parts of Minneapolis. These parts are in Hennepin County, and at 21:39 CDT, those votes were counted also:

Ilhan Omar 56.2%, Don Samuels 42.9%, Nate Schluter 0.5%, other 0.4%

Also today, Bernie Sanders won an uncontested primary for Vermont Senator. He's 82 years old, and I'm surprised that he insists on staying on.

Last week, Rashida Tlaib won an uncontested primary for her House district in Michigan.

I'll now look at how well Ilhan Omar did previously. She won this primary by a margin of 13 points.

Minnesota 5th District : U.S. House : 2024 Polls | FiveThirtyEight
  • Jul 17-21: IO 60% DS 33% -- 27%
  • Feb 20-27: IO 49% DS 30% -- 19%

From Ilhan Omar - Ballotpedia previous years:
  • 2024: IO 56.2%, DS 42.9%, NS 0.5%, others 0.4% -- 13.3%
  • 2022: IO 50.3%, DS 48.2%, NS 0.6%, others 0.5%, 0.4% -- 2.1%
  • 2020: IO 58.2%, others 38.5%, 1.5%, 1.1%, 0.7% -- 19.7%
  • 2018: IO 48.2% others 30.4%, 13.0%, 3.7%, 2.8%, 1.8% -- 17.8%

Dalia al-Aqidi, an Iraqi immigrant, ran as a Republican in 2020, getting only 4.7% in the primary and placing third. She's trying again this year, and she's unchallenged by her fellow Republicans. So it'll be IO vs. DA this November - two female Muslim MENA immigrants. MENA = Middle East & North Africa.

Jeremy Slevin on X: "In the past 24 hours, ..." / X
In the past 24 hours, @IlhanMN’s Democratic primary opponent has:

- Appeared on Fox News for an exclusive interview
- Had volunteers make calls encouraging Republicans to vote for him
- Been caught Illegally coordinating with a Super PAC

Not good!
On Fox News, Minnesota Democrat challenging Rep. Ilhan Omar sees fundraising surge after Cori Bush defeat | Fox News Video

Minnesota has open primaries, where people can vote in other parties' primaries. I personally think that that is a dumb idea, and that they should have nonpartisan primaries with the general elections being top-four or top-five IRV elections. Top-two leads to things like what happened in the California Senate primary, where Adam Schiff supported Steve Garvey as his opponent rather than run against Katie Porter, his most likely opponent otherwise.

Don Samuels on X: "My opponent, Rep. Ilhan Omar, is being dishonest and fear-mongering ..." / X
My opponent, Rep. Ilhan Omar, is being dishonest and fear-mongering by telling people I'm a Republican and that AIPAC is coming to unseat her.

Well, in her 6-year tenure, only two bills she's written and sponsored have become law - both renamed post offices. She can't run on her achievements, so she has to use fear to win.

But here's the truth: I'm a Democrat (always have been), and AIPAC has not endorsed me nor spent money on this race.

Pro-Israel groups not funneling money into campaign of Rep. Ilhan Omar's Democratic challenger

This is exactly the reason why I'm running against Rep. Omar in the primary election tomorrow - because I am so sick of the dishonest and divisive politics that are stalling progress and tearing this country apart. Tomorrow is our opportunity for change.

A response:
Connor McNutt on X: "Says the lying candidate ..." / X
Says the lying candidate who was on Fox News this morning.

Your campaign is *actively* courting Republicans. Here’s audio of your volunteers urging Republicans to vote in the Dem Primary 🚨

Not a surprise, Don is a Republican attempting to masquerade as a Democrat.

Jeremy Slevin on X: "In the past 24 hours, ..." / X
In the past 24 hours, @IlhanMN’s Democratic primary opponent has:

- Appeared on Fox News for an exclusive interview
- Had volunteers make calls encouraging Republicans to vote for him
- Been caught Illegally coordinating with a Super PAC

Not good!
On Fox News, Minnesota Democrat challenging Rep. Ilhan Omar sees fundraising surge after Cori Bush defeat | Fox News Video

Minnesota has open primaries, where people can vote in other parties' primaries. I personally think that that is a dumb idea, and that they should have nonpartisan primaries with the general elections being top-four or top-five IRV elections. Top-two leads to things like what happened in the California Senate primary, where Adam Schiff supported Steve Garvey as his opponent rather than run against Katie Porter, his most likely opponent otherwise.

Don Samuels on X: "My opponent, Rep. Ilhan Omar, is being dishonest and fear-mongering ..." / X
My opponent, Rep. Ilhan Omar, is being dishonest and fear-mongering by telling people I'm a Republican and that AIPAC is coming to unseat her.

Well, in her 6-year tenure, only two bills she's written and sponsored have become law - both renamed post offices. She can't run on her achievements, so she has to use fear to win.

But here's the truth: I'm a Democrat (always have been), and AIPAC has not endorsed me nor spent money on this race.

Pro-Israel groups not funneling money into campaign of Rep. Ilhan Omar's Democratic challenger

This is exactly the reason why I'm running against Rep. Omar in the primary election tomorrow - because I am so sick of the dishonest and divisive politics that are stalling progress and tearing this country apart. Tomorrow is our opportunity for change.

A response:
Connor McNutt on X: "Says the lying candidate ..." / X
Says the lying candidate who was on Fox News this morning.

Your campaign is *actively* courting Republicans. Here’s audio of your volunteers urging Republicans to vote in the Dem Primary 🚨

Not a surprise, Don is a Republican attempting to masquerade as a Democrat.

Well, Omar's voting record doesn't look great. She also missed the infrastructure bill. There must have been a party that day or something!

Ugh. Can he just stay gone, please. He wants to mount a comeback like Cynthia McKinney did back in the day. Except she did not district shop.
I'm not familiar with Cynthia McKinney.

But as carpetbagging goes, this is not nearly as much as what Mondaire Jones did in 2022 or what Lauren Boebert did this year. The two districts are neighbors.
Cynthia McKinney was batshit crazy. I was relieves when she lost.

I like AOC because she seems to have matured and is willing to compromise, which to me is extremely important regardless of which side of the aisle you're on. The other squad members who lost their primaries are no great loss to Congress imo. I do agree that Citizens United is awful, but I seriously doubt it's going away anytime soon. It's sad that raising money is so important when it comes to our elections.

It's also sad that candidates are permitted to tell lies about their opponents, especially vicious totally unsubstantiated lies.

Well, Omar's voting record doesn't look great. She also missed the infrastructure bill. There must have been a party that day or something!
That keeps getting brought up. Let's look at the full record rather than letting oneself be outraged over one little thing.

H.R.3684 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

Motion to Recommit (last-minute obstruction)
Roll Call 207 | Bill Number: H. R. 3684 - Jul 01, 2021, 10:34 AM | 117th Congress, 1st Session
Every Democrat voted against it.

Roll Call 208 | Bill Number: H. R. 3684 - Jul 01, 2021, 11:05 AM | 117th Congress, 1st Session
Every Democrat voted for it.

Roll Call 369 | Bill Number: H. R. 3684 - Nov 05, 2021, 11:24 PM | 117th Congress, 1st Session
Every Democrat voted for it except Jamaal Bowman NY, Cori Bush MO, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez NY, Ilhan Omar MN, Ayanna Pressley MA, Rashida Tlaib MI.

To table a motion to reconsider
Roll Call 370 | Bill Number: H. R. 3684 - Nov 05, 2021, 11:50 PM | 117th Congress, 1st Session

H.R.5376 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

Roll Call 384 | Bill Number: H. R. 5376 - Nov 19, 2021, 09:08 AM | 117th Congress, 1st Session

Roll Call 385 | Bill Number: H. R. 5376 - Nov 19, 2021, 09:44 AM | 117th Congress, 1st Session
Every Democrat voted for it except Jared Golden ME.

Roll Call 386 | Bill Number: H. R. 5376 - Nov 19, 2021, 10:17 AM | 117th Congress, 1st Session

Roll Call 420 | Bill Number: H. R. 5376 - Aug 12, 2022, 05:38 PM | 117th Congress, 2nd Session

That bill's earlier name: Build Back Better Act - Ballotpedia

So if JB, CB, AOC, IO, AP, and RT didn't like that bill, they would have voted against it and a related bill every time. But they voted for those bills 3 out of 4 times, and supported those bills in all 4 procedural votes.

That keeps getting brought up. Let's look at the full record rather than letting oneself be outraged over one little thing.

H.R.3684 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

Roll Call 207 | Bill Number: H. R. 3684 - Jul 01, 2021, 10:34 AM | 117th Congress, 1st Session

Roll Call 208 | Bill Number: H. R. 3684 - Jul 01, 2021, 11:05 AM | 117th Congress, 1st Session

Roll Call 369 | Bill Number: H. R. 3684 - Nov 05, 2021, 11:24 PM | 117th Congress, 1st Session
Every Democrat voted for it except Jamaal Bowman NY, Cori Bush MO, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez NY, Ilhan Omar MN, Ayanna Pressley MA, Rashida Tlaib MI.

Roll Call 370 | Bill Number: H. R. 3684 - Nov 05, 2021, 11:50 PM | 117th Congress, 1st Session

H.R.5376 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

Roll Call 384 | Bill Number: H. R. 5376 - Nov 19, 2021, 09:08 AM | 117th Congress, 1st Session

Roll Call 385 | Bill Number: H. R. 5376 - Nov 19, 2021, 09:44 AM | 117th Congress, 1st Session
Every Democrat voted for it except Jared Golden ME.

Roll Call 386 | Bill Number: H. R. 5376 - Nov 19, 2021, 10:17 AM | 117th Congress, 1st Session

Roll Call 420 | Bill Number: H. R. 5376 - Aug 12, 2022, 05:38 PM | 117th Congress, 2nd Session

That bill's earlier name: Build Back Better Act - Ballotpedia

So if JB, CB, AOC, IO, AP, and RT didn't like that bill, they would have voted against it and a related bill every time. But they voted for those bills 3 out of 4 times, and supported those bills in all 4 procedural votes.
Fair enough. Would you agree with me though that if someone didn’t vote for the final bill for whatever reason, they can’t take credit for it’s accomplishments?

Back
Top Bottom