• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Demystifying Determinism

However, you do not have the choice on if you want to do something or not. Your desire is predetermined by forces beyond your control.

Actually, my desires are integral parts of who and what I am. So is my brain. Therefore, whatever my desires and my brain decide that I will have for dinner, I have decided. And whatever they deliberately control, I control. And whatever they are free to do, I am free to do.

Your dualism is superstitious nonsense.

You are dancing to invisible strings you don't see.

Your argument is based solely on metaphors and other figures of speech. You should realize by now that they lead to false conclusions.

However, you do not have the choice on if you want to do something or not. Your desire is predetermined by forces beyond your control.

Actually, my desires are integral parts of who and what I am. So is my brain. Therefore, whatever my desires and my brain decide that I will have for dinner, I have decided. And whatever they deliberately control, I control. And whatever they are free to do, I am free to do.

Your dualism is superstitious nonsense.

Your argument is based solely on metaphors and other figures of speech. You should realize by now that they lead to false conclusions.
Yes, they are an integral part of what you are. However, those desires are caused by things that are out of your control, such as your genetics, your environmental factors, the spin of the elections in your cells, and your biochemistry.

You have no choice but to dance to those invisible strings.. either that, or determinism is incorrect, and things are probabilistic.

You don't control your brain.

In fact, your brain makes the choice before you are concious if it

You have no choice but to dance to those invisible strings.. either that, or determinism is incorrect, and things are probabilistic.

Determinism is correct. However there is no puppet master pulling our strings. That's the hard determinist's delusion. An argument by analogy, you know, one of those things we would call "bad reasoning".

My brain controls itself. Both the conscious and unconscious processes are run within and by the same brain. And, like I pointed out before, whatever my brain has decided that I will have for dinner, I have decided. There is no dualism. "I" am just another process running on my neural architecture.

In fact, your brain makes the choice before you are conscious if it

Ah! So, now we have choices actually being made! That's progress from your prior claim that there are no choices.

And, we also have my own brain making these choices, which is even more progress, because it is really me deciding things for myself.

And we also have conscious awareness of the choice showing up 10 seconds late, but still in plenty of time for me to tell the waiter, "I will have the Chef Salad, please".

The evidence continues to support our conclusion that choosing is actually happening and we are actually doing it.

Did you have anything else?

Determinism is correct. However there is no puppet master pulling our strings. That's the hard determinist's delusion. An argument by analogy, you know, one of those things we would call "bad reasoning".

My brain controls itself. Both the conscious and unconscious processes are run within and by the same brain. And, like I pointed out before, whatever my brain has decided that I will have for dinner, I have decided. There is no dualism. "I" am just another process running on my neural architecture.

Ah! So, now we have choices actually being made! That's progress from your prior claim that there are no choices.

And, we also have my own brain making these choices, which is even more progress, because it is really me deciding things for myself.

And we also have conscious awareness of the choice showing up 10 seconds late, but still in plenty of time for me to tell the waiter, "I will have the Chef Salad, please".

The evidence continues to support our conclusion that choosing is actually happening and we are actually doing it.

How do you know that we are in a deterministic universe, not a probabilistic one? And your repeating the mantra about what compatabilism proposes does not show that what it proposes is true. For both compatablism and incompatablism, there are arguments.

In fact, there is bell's theorem, which shows on the quantum level , there is indeterminism. The quantum level effects the macro level too. Bell showed how to perform that experiment in his paper 'on the Einstein Podolsky Rosen paradox'. and the experiment he proposed to see if there was determinism vs indeterminism has been done hundreds upon hundreds of time.

If things are predetermined, there is no choice.

If it is predetermined that you will make a choice, then you will make the choice. And you will do so because it is exactly what you wanted to do anyway. This is how determinism works.
The thing is, things aren't predetermined. They're just determined. It's no more predetermined that when I type in some seed in a deterministic engine that it's going to end up with Urist locked in a room after slaughtering 12 dwarves. That's a result, but it still takes all the cogitation through determinism to get there.

You can in fact specify a different kind of initial condition to the universe: "last thursday" style initial conditions.

In the middle of that cogitation, choice happens.

How do you know that we are in a deterministic universe, not a probabilistic one? And your repeating the mantra about what compatabilism proposes does not show that what it proposes is true. For both compatablism and incompatablism, there are arguments.

In fact, there is bell's theorem, which shows on the quantum level , there is indeterminism. The quantum level effects the macro level too. Bell showed how to perform that experiment in his paper 'on the Einstein Podolsky Rosen paradox'. and the experiment he proposed to see if there was determinism vs indeterminism has been done hundreds upon hundreds of time.
So, I can field this one.

Let's imagine a probabilistic universe.

This universe has one simple rule on one field: left shift, xor lowest bit with (random)

Now, one may posit that whatever basis of "random" is probabilistic: after infinite time this number will contain all strings of all encodings infinite numbers of times, bizarrely enough including a binary string that completely described our universe and everything in it sequentially through all time.

But ignoring that fun fact for a moment, this is the most trivial of "probabilistic" universe, one must still recognize that the "random" may be, in any finite region of this infinite set may be treated of this finite subset as "initial condition".

Thus is born "superdeterminism" or "just so determinism": any finite probabilistic system can be described as a deterministic one, with probabilistic elements treated as initial condition.

And so this means there isn't really any logical difference between finite deterministic systems and finite probabilistic systems.

Again, as to CHOICE, however, I have pointed to some thing, observable and undeniably real: a system where a set of objects goes in, and a subset comes out.

This happens. We use the word choice to describe it.

Note, there is no axiom there, just a thing happening and a name being given to that thing.

How do you know that we are in a deterministic universe, not a probabilistic one?

A deterministic universe can be viewed as probabilistic when it comes to unpredictable events. If the event is unpredictable, like a coin toss, then we apply statistical analysis to give us some form of predictability. It is likely, though, that for a phenomenon to be subject to such analysis, it must already be causally deterministic in some fashion.

If determinism asserts perfectly reliable cause and effect, then indeterminism would assert perfectly unreliable cause and effect. With determinism, I press the "H" on my keyboard and an "h" appears in this text. With indeterminism, pressing the "H" on the keyboard would cause something unpredictable each time. Perhaps pressing the "H" will cause the stock market to crash, or perhaps gravity will reverse.

We all take reliable causation for granted because we see it in everything we think and do. Reliable causation makes the outcome of our actions predictable. Being predictable means that we can control what happens next. So, all of our freedoms and all of our control depend upon the world being a place where we can count on things, like counting on the "h" to appear in the text when I press the "H" key.

And your repeating the mantra about what compatibilism proposes does not show that what it proposes is true.

Frankly, when I first ran into the determinism "versus" free will issue, I don't believe "compatibilism" was even a word yet. I suspect I was somewhere between 12 and 15 years old when I ran across Spinoza describing determinism in one of the philosophy books in the public library. I resolved it to my satisfaction with a simple thought problem (not sure if it was mine or something I read by one of the pragmatists), and then didn't give it much thought for a long time after that. After all, if a kid like me could figure it out, then everyone should be able to do the same.

For both compatibilism and incompatibilism, there are arguments.

Well, we observe reliable cause and effect, and, we observe ourselves and others choosing for ourselves what we will do. Two objective observations cannot be contradictory.

We can repeatedly test reliable causation very easily. But how can anyone repeat an experiment that demonstrates indeterminism? How does one go about "causing" an "uncaused" event? The notion seems paradoxical.

Chosing will work if things are probabilistic , rather than deterministic.
How? The only thing indeterminism allows (in contrast to determinism) is pure chance. Nobody believes chance outcomes are chosen outcomes.

It seems you're mistaken about the nature of 'choosing'.
It seems you are mistaken about the nature of determinism.

See how that works?
Ok. We've established that when you talk about a chosen outcome you actually mean a random outcome.

In other words you don't use the word 'choose' in the same way as the vast majority of competent English speakers.

So when you say choice does not exist in a deterministic world, you're not talking about the same thing that the rest of us are talking about.

How does one go about "causing" an "uncaused" event? The notion seems paradoxical.
So, this seems fun, so I'm going to tackle this.

There can, from our perspective, be no such thing as a true uncaused event from the perspective of "all of nature". There can, however, be uncaused events from the perspective of a sub-nature.

Urist has no way, no physics, no rule that will allow him to accomplish an access violation. He cannot see, much like we cannot at the moment see, if there is anything "outside" the mechanism of their perfectly reliable cause and effect. He has "laws of nature" which he sees and if he had the intelligence of any of us certain of us, could figure out what those laws are.

But I can violate those laws.

So one may only create an uncaused event, a truly purely uncaused event outside of the natural causes that are normally observed, if their nature is "superior" to the nature that shows the uncaused event.

It requires something literally supernatural to one's nature.

Of course, we have observed no such evidence for our own nature being such except perhaps QM, but as discussed, that also has good math that describes it for the most part.

Similarly, if I wanted to make a system of perfectly unreliable cause and effect, I would have a random number generator of some kind, and a computer with a complete instruction set, for which no instruction is possibly "invalid".

Then I would randomize memory.

Then I would randomize the instruction set every frame.

Then I would let it run.

Perfectly UN reliable cause and effect... For now.

The thing is, this thing having a random effect is going to still eventually going to fall into a certain kind of chaos which MAY start to have larger statistical truths arise, which among those larger statistical phenomena MAY exhibit reliable cause and effect.

How does one go about "causing" an "uncaused" event? The notion seems paradoxical.

There can, from our perspective, be no such thing as a true uncaused event from the perspective of "all of nature". There can, however, be uncaused events from the perspective of a sub-nature.

Urist has no way, no physics, no rule that will allow him to accomplish an access violation. He cannot see, much like we cannot at the moment see, if there is anything "outside" the mechanism of their perfectly reliable cause and effect. He has "laws of nature" which he sees and if he had the intelligence of any of us certain of us, could figure out what those laws are.

So one may only create an uncaused event, a truly purely uncaused event outside of the natural causes that are normally observed, if their nature is "superior" to the nature that shows the uncaused event.

Of course, we have observed no such evidence for our own nature being such except perhaps QM, but as discussed, that also has good math that describes it for the most part.
I don't think the supernatural escapes reliable cause and effect. Even God will have his own goals and reasons that causally determine his actions.

I don't think the supernatural escapes reliable cause and effect. Even God will have his own goals and reasons that causally determine his actions.
Yes, which is why I am pointing out that this is contextual and how the apparent paradox resolves.

Even so, until the dwarves figure it out, assuming that they can figure it out, they're going to have a hell of a time trying.

How do you know that we are in a deterministic universe, not a probabilistic one? ...
But that's not what Bell's Theorem and the EPR experiments show. Those are demonstrations of entanglement and nonlocality, not indeterminism. There are deterministic interpretations of QM; they predict the same Bell violations as the indeterministic interpretations.

You make claims, but,do your claims match reality? Conceptually, the concept of soft determinism is flawed. It can not explain how you can things can be deterministic, but you have choice at the same time. Your syllogism can not be shown to be either valid or sound.

Thats the end of the discussion for me.

List what people are saying and see how well they match observations. And do they have a explanation, mechanism, and make repeatable predictions. Ones that have them are more reliable than those that don't.

Those that do, we talk about how we assigned weights and/or a sliding scale.

You make claims, but,do your claims match reality? Conceptually, the concept of soft determinism is flawed. It can not explain how you can things can be deterministic, but you have choice at the same time. Your syllogism can not be shown to be either valid or sound.

List what people are saying and see how well they match observations. And do they have a explanation, mechanism, and make repeatable predictions. Ones that have them are more reliable than those that don't.

Why, let's look at it. Let's see you determine when an individual atom decays. Show a way to do that.

Why, let's look at it. Let's see you determine when an individual atom decays. Show a way to do that.
THere isn't. That means that it is not deterministic, but probabilistic. Therefore, determinism is flawed.

Here is an article that points out the flaws

Very nice article, thanks for the link. I believe there is both truth and falsehood in determinism.

The core belief in determinism is that every event is reliably caused by prior events that were themselves reliably cause by earlier events. We imagine this to be a "causal chain" (or web) in which every event is causally necessitated by prior events, such that the actual future will turn out exactly one way.

How does this change things? It doesn't!

Consider the author's section on Refuting Determinism by Action. He addresses the process of deliberation. He says, "I’d like to suggest that everyone who deliberates believes in free will, even if they think they do not, for its impossible to deliberate without acting on the conviction that the decision is up to you to resolve." And I certainly agree with that.

But I also believe that the mental events within this decision making process, the identification of our options, the certainty that we can choose any one of these real possibilities, the evaluation of each option, and our final choice, are all included within a chain of events that goes back before we encountered the issue to be decided, and will continue forward into future events that will inevitably follow upon our chosen actions.

Does this deterministic view of events change anything? No. It is still us encountering the issue. It is still us considering our options. It is still us choosing the option that we will act upon. And it is still us that will be held responsible for our deliberate action.

The view that determinism somehow implies that it was not us, but something else that decided what we would do, is contrary to the empirical facts. And it is that irrational view that must be combated.

When viewed rationally, determinism changes nothing. And it is poses no real threat to free will.

Unfortunately, those most fervently championing determinism often hold irrational views about what causal necessity actually means.

But what causal necessity actually means is that not only was our choice inevitable, but it was equally inevitable that we would be making that choice ourselves, for our own reasons, according to our own beliefs and values, our own interests, our own genetic dispositions, and our own prior life experiences. In other words, we would be making the choice of our own free will.

regression, or

Very nice article, thanks for the link. I believe there is both truth and falsehood in determinism.

The core belief in determinism is that every event is reliably caused by prior events that were themselves reliably cause by earlier events. We imagine this to be a "causal chain" (or web) in which every event is causally necessitated by prior events, such that the actual future will turn out exactly one way.

Consider the author's section on Refuting Determinism by Action. He addresses the process of deliberation. He says, "I’d like to suggest that everyone who deliberates believes in free will, even if they think they do not, for its impossible to deliberate without acting on the conviction that the decision is up to you to resolve." And I certainly agree with that.

But I also believe that the mental events within this decision making process, the identification of our options, the certainty that we can choose any one of these real possibilities, the evaluation of each option, and our final choice, are all included within a chain of events that goes back before we encountered the issue to be decided, and will continue forward into future events that will inevitably follow upon our chosen actions.

Does this deterministic view of events change anything? No. It is still us encountering the issue. It is still us considering our options. It is still us choosing the option that we will act upon. And it is still us that will be held responsible for our deliberate action.

The view that determinism somehow implies that it was not us, but something else that decided what we would do, is contrary to the empirical facts. And it is that irrational view that must be combated.

When viewed rationally, determinism changes nothing. And it is poses no real threat to free will.

Unfortunately, those most fervently championing determinism often hold irrational views about what causal necessity actually means.

But what causal necessity actually means is that not only was our choice inevitable, but it was equally inevitable that we would be making that choice ourselves, for our own reasons, according to our own beliefs and values, our own interests, our own genetic dispositions, and our own prior life experiences. In other words, we would be making the choice of our own free will.
Why, I disagree. Determinism precisely means there is no free will. It also relies on the 'chain of causality' , which either goes to infinite regression, or goes to the logical fallacy of special pleading, where it points to an 'uncaused cause' Of course, if there is one uncaused cause, there can be multiple uncaused causes, If you have an event that is uncaused, then it falsifies determinism.

Reactions: DBT
regression, or

Why, I disagree. Determinism precisely means there is no free will. It also relies on the 'chain of causality' , which either goes to infinite regression, or goes to the logical fallacy of special pleading, where it points to an 'uncaused cause' Of course, if there is one uncaused cause, there can be multiple uncaused causes, If you have an event that is uncaused, then it falsifies determinism.
Under no current understanding of cosmology.is there such a thing as a necessity of first cause. It is not a sensible thing in any such case.

Even so superdeterminism, being an unfalsified and likely unfalsifiable theory of cosmology, makes for the idea that you are simply wrong about what determinism must require re:
regression or uncaused cause.

Its just not germaine to the discussion.

Rather, choice function is merely a process from which one is selected from many. This can involve apparent randomness but choice always happens because of some deterministic process, even if the inputs to the deterministic process appear to be selected randomly.

Choice is clearly not incompatible with deterministic systems, insofar as it's still a choice function when the process of choice is "select top card of deck".

But moreover for the concepts of "wills that are free" choice isn't a direct consideration anyway. Choice happens separately to "will".

regression, or

I presume that there is no "first" cause, but instead an eternal state of matter in motion and transformation. The most significant transformation is the accumulation of matter into a super condensed black hole that reaches some tipping point and explodes into a new universe with a Big Bang. Most galaxies contain smaller black holes near their centers which we observe consuming material from nearby stars. Over time the accretion will accelerate as the black hole increases in mass and gravity, producing a Big Crunch effect, and we're back to the form of a super condensed black hole once more. Rather than a single Big Bang, I assume a cosmology something more like a Big Bounce.

The point is that something must be eternal, because if it were not, then everything would already be gone by now. Yet, we look around, and we see stuff all around us, and we know that things were not always in the form that we find them in today. Stuff, moving and transforming, seems to be the constant state of things. And thus there is no "first cause".

Insisting upon a "first cause" would require special pleading. Assuming eternal stuff in motion and transformation avoids that problem.

So then, that brings us to the problem of free will. What do we really mean by "free will"? Do we mean mean "freedom from cause and effect"? I don't think so. Every freedom we have, to do anything at all, implies us reliably causing some effect. Freedom of speech requires the ability to reliably form thoughts and the words to express them. Freedom to go for a walk requires the ability to reliably move our legs and shift our balance. Freedom to choose what we will do requires the ability to reliably reason between alternate options and select the option that best suits our current goals and interests.

Every freedom we have requires reliable cause and effect. So, how can we suggest being "free" from that which freedom itself requires? It is a paradoxical notion, and therefore false.

Is there perhaps some other definition of "free will", one that actually makes sense? Yes, there is a very practical meaning of "free will" that nearly everyone understands and correctly uses. Free will is when we decide for ourselves what we will do, while free of coercion and other forms of undue influence, such as insanity, manipulation, hypnosis, authoritative command, etc. There is a universal human desire to exercise some control over our own lives, and to avoid being subject to control by others. And we teach out growing children to make good choices, because we know that soon enough they will be in charge of their own lives.

Good choices are important, because we will hold each other responsible for any deliberate acts that cause unnecessary harm to someone else.

So, there we have it, a meaningful and relevant meaning of the term "free will". One that everyone already understands and correctly applies to practical human scenarios. One that does not require freedom from cause and effect, but simply freedom from coercion and undue influence. One that is consistent with a world of reliable causation.

regression, or

I presume that there is no "first" cause, but instead an eternal state of matter in motion and transformation. The most significant transformation is the accumulation of matter into a super condensed black hole that reaches some tipping point and explodes into a new universe with a Big Bang. Most galaxies contain smaller black holes near their centers which we observe consuming material from nearby stars. Over time the accretion will accelerate as the black hole increases in mass and gravity, producing a Big Crunch effect, and we're back to the form of a super condensed black hole once more. Rather than a single Big Bang, I assume a cosmology something more like a Big Bounce.

The point is that something must be eternal, because if it were not, then everything would already be gone by now. Yet, we look around, and we see stuff all around us, and we know that things were not always in the form that we find them in today. Stuff, moving and transforming, seems to be the constant state of things. And thus there is no "first cause".

Insisting upon a "first cause" would require special pleading. Assuming eternal stuff in motion and transformation avoids that problem.

So then, that brings us to the problem of free will. What do we really mean by "free will"? Do we mean mean "freedom from cause and effect"? I don't think so. Every freedom we have, to do anything at all, implies us reliably causing some effect. Freedom of speech requires the ability to reliably form thoughts and the words to express them. Freedom to go for a walk requires the ability to reliably move our legs and shift our balance. Freedom to choose what we will do requires the ability to reliably reason between alternate options and select the option that best suits our current goals and interests.

Every freedom we have requires reliable cause and effect. So, how can we suggest being "free" from that which freedom itself requires? It is a paradoxical notion, and therefore false.

Is there perhaps some other definition of "free will", one that actually makes sense? Yes, there is a very practical meaning of "free will" that nearly everyone understands and correctly uses. Free will is when we decide for ourselves what we will do, while free of coercion and other forms of undue influence, such as insanity, manipulation, hypnosis, authoritative command, etc. There is a universal human desire to exercise some control over our own lives, and to avoid being subject to control by others. And we teach out growing children to make good choices, because we know that soon enough they will be in charge of their own lives.

Good choices are important, because we will hold each other responsible for any deliberate acts that cause unnecessary harm to someone else.

So, there we have it, a meaningful and relevant meaning of the term "free will". One that everyone already understands and correctly applies to practical human scenarios. One that does not require freedom from cause and effect, but simply freedom from coercion and undue influence. One that is consistent with a world of reliable causation.

So you don't assume a first cause. Ok. one thing I am not seeing is actual evidence that determinism is correct, rather than things being probabilistic. There are many varieties of QM that are not deterministic. If everything is deterministic, there is no such thing as actual choice, because your 'choices' are preprogramed and predetermined.

regression, or

So you don't assume a first cause. Ok. one thing I am not seeing is actual evidence that determinism is correct, rather than things being probabilistic. There are many varieties of QM that are not deterministic. If everything is deterministic, there is no such thing as actual choice, because your 'choices' are preprogramed and predetermined.
As has been discussed, to understand "free will" and "choice" one must be fully willing to make sure that these concepts interact fully with "unfalsifiable" models.

One such unfalsifiable model is superdeterminism, which allows the modeling of any system as dererministic.

Again, choice, even if it is to make sense under a probabilistic model of reality, STILL has to be compatible with determinism, because superdeterminism is unfalsifiable.

If you can't arrive at an understanding of choice compatible with determinism (and several of us have presented this concept of deterministic choice functions), you will not be able to even in probabilistic systems. Marvin has gone to lengths to explain how such concepts of choice, of doing differently in completely identical circumstances makes no sense at all, is in fact a contradiction. This contradiction doesn't evaporate even in a probabilistic universe.

At best you again end up with the strategic leverage of a player of snakes and ladders when probabilistics are in involved.

In fact Marvin has made the sound argument that without process, you don't get choice or freedom at all, you LOSE the power of meaningful choice to the extent process does not control it.

Instead, choice is merely any process, fixed and dererministic as it may be, which takes "a set" and indicates "a subset" of that set.

See also: The Axiom of Choice for what choice means. Note that it is agnostic to whether the choice is probabilistic or dererministic.

Back
Top Bottom