• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

DeSantis-Newsom Debate -- do we need this?

Is the Newsom-DeSantis debate good for the country?

• Yes, and Sean Hannity should be commended for doing this.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No, and Sean Hannity deserves no credit for doing this.

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Lumpenproletariat

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
---- "Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts."
The Ron DeSantis vs. Gavin Newsom debate happens at 9 p.m. E.T. Thursday Nov. 30.

This has been organized and promoted by Sean Hannity, who will moderate it on Fox News, and is designed as a prime-time national spectacle with similarities to presidential debates.

Right-wingers seem to be enthusiastic about this debate, and are expecting DeSantis to kick Newsom's butt, proving that crime is running rampant in the Blue states/cities, from which populations are fleeing to Red states.

But what about Left-wingers? They don't seem to care, or maybe have a negative attitude toward it. Newsom isn't receiving encouragement from his fellow Democrats.

Regardless how bad Hannity is, shouldn't an honest Progressive agree that such a debate is good for the country -- don't we need more debate? -- and shouldn't they give Hannity credit for doing the right thing? Shouldn't there be debates like this? Shouldn't we be getting more debate, disagreement in the media? in the radio and TV talk shows? rather than the constant angry monologues or conversations between pundits who agree with each other? and maybe a fist-fight in the Senate -- for Nightly News entertainment?

Shouldn't we get less of the "I couldn't agree with you more" dialogue? and more disagreement between two sides?

Does a Left-winger / Progressive have enough honesty and integrity to acknowledge that Hannity at least this once deserves credit for doing something good for America?

What other debates should there be?

This one debate isn't enough. There should be more, and the Left should not sit back and let the Right make them look like girly-men who are afraid of debating.

Where's Thom Hartmann? Just pandering to his disciples, as always? Why isn't he doing something to promote more genuine debate? He seems to be part of a trend AWAY from confrontational debate. On his program he used to engage in many debates with the other side, but not any more. Why is the Left running away from open debate even more than the Right is?

What Hartmann should do is challenge Hannity to a debate between the 2 of them, on national TV. These media pundits should be debating the other side rather than doing these constant boring monologues or having dialogue only with others who agree with them.

Why won't they do it? Why wouldn't Hannity or Hartmann ever challenge the other to a debate? because each is a demagogue-pundit-guru who would lose some of his DISCIPLES if they had to expose themselves publicly to criticism from the other side.

And Where is PBS/NPR? they have virtually banned any debates on their programs. They are a disgrace.

But what about Left-wingers? They don't seem to care, or maybe have a negative attitude toward it. Newsom isn't receiving encouragement from his fellow Democrats

I'm not sure what you mean by "Left-wingers".
Do you consider me one?

Personally, I don't much care about a couple of political second stringers going at it on TV.
If Newsom and DeSantis want to make their TV show worth watching they need to get some chicks. MTG and AOC seem like obvious choices.

Otherwise, will anybody watch long enough to get a mention on TikTok?
Tom

First I heard of this spectacle. So happy they could get an intelligent and objective centrist like Hannity to moderate. Alex Jones and Mike the Pillow Guy weren't available? Did they ask Suckabee Sanders?

For rational-thinking Americans the most important priority right now is winning the Presidential election next November. The spectacle -- it's hard to call it a "debate" and keep a straight-face -- MIGHT be good for America! We DO want to build DeSantis up since he'd be a poor candidate. And of course we need someone like Newsom warming up "in the bullpen" in case we want or need a substitute for Biden.

Regardless how bad Hannity is, shouldn't an honest Progressive agree that such a debate is good for the country -- don't we need more debate?

Infidels: -- Please PLEASE use emoticons to signal when you're being sarcastic about American politics. Some of the thinking is so wild that a few out-of-touch people will think Lumpen is serious in this sentence I quoted.

If Newsom and DeSantis want to make their TV show worth watching they need to get some chicks. MTG and AOC seem like obvious choices.
EAn-mg.gif

And Where is PBS/NPR? they have virtually banned any debates on their programs. They are a disgrace.

I'm willing to bet they are more than willing to moderate debates in such a manner that they are fucking debates. The problem is;
1 - too many right wing cunts look at Orange Joffrey as inspiration and turn "debates" into shitshows. And for some weird reason PBS/NPR aren't willing to degrade themselves in such a way.
2 - too many right wing cunts are pussies who know they'll get obliterated in an honest debate so refuse to participate. The best example is how the RNC has refused to participate in any Presidential debates (a fact you have curiously omitted). Another example is if you google "Sam Seder".

It's cute that you think Hannity might be putting this together for the benefit of the country.

Shortest answer is that there's no use "debating" people currently at war with reality. The right doesn't give a shit whether their words are true so what's the point in the left debating them? Much like you don't care that crime rates tend to be higher in red states and cities tend be more liberal places anyway your statement is kinda pointless.

Moderator: The current rate of inflation is 3.2%, down from it's high of 8.9%. How would continue to improve this in order to reach the Feds goal of 2%.
Progressive: The administration has been doing a good job so far in reigning in the inflation rate so I would continue in a similar manner. The economy is strong so lets not rock the boat if we can help it.
Republican: I believe the Biden Inflation Rate is closer to 98.4%. American are fed up because every person in the country is currently unemployed because of the illegals streaming across the border. If we don't win the next election then Biden will continue to traffic children through pizza restaurants and drive us further into this economic depression we've been in since the minute he took office. Also, Trump won in 2020! Laptops!

as my father would say "it's a battle of whits against an unarmed opponent"

"Debate" hasn't even happened yet, and the OP is touting its success as an actual debate. Forget about it having any actual value of an event.

We haven't had a debate in this country is how long?

Well it's my day off, so why not waste a little time here? Let's do a quick overview.

This has been organized and promoted by Sean Hannity, who will moderate it on Fox News, and is designed as a prime-time national spectacle with similarities to presidential debates.

If you believe Sean personally organized this, I've got a box of fresh Trump Steaks I'd like to sell you. He's a host, not a producer. Is it designed to be a spectacle? Of course. Fox wants ratings, clicks, and revenue to pay off their 3/4 billion dollar bill from the lawsuit and make up for the fact that Trump won't show up to any debate. It will be an attention-grabbing shit-show.

proving that crime is running rampant in the Blue states/cities, from which populations are fleeing to Red states.

Oh, bless your heart. You actually think Fox viewers are looking for some sort of objective facts! Thing is, they already believe this despite the facts saying otherwise, so of course they're going to agree with Rhonda Sanctimonious.

don't we need more debate?

As has already been mentioned, this will not be a debate. This will be an exchange of talking points. The participants will have the questions ahead of time or at the very least will have spent plenty of time prepping to not actually answer the questions they are asked. If you believe this will be different, you obviously have not seen an actual debate in a long time.

the Left should not sit back and let the Right make them look like girly-men who are afraid of debating.

Seriously? Did you just say girly-men? What year is it?

Why wouldn't Hannity or Hartmann ever challenge the other to a debate? because each is a demagogue-pundit-guru who would lose some of his DISCIPLES if they had to expose themselves publicly to criticism from the other side.

I believe this may very well be the first time I've seen you post something that is actually accurate! Yes, they are both pundits and as such gain nothing by going on each other's shows or to "neutral ground" to debate. Follow up question: As you (apparently) are aware of this, why are you trusting Hannity/Fox news to be objective?

As for NPR/PBS and debates, if you were paying attention, you'd be aware that NPR regularly broadcasts debates on important issues:

Intelligence Squared

Regardless how bad Hannity is, shouldn't an honest Progressive agree that such a debate is good for the country -- don't we need more debate? -- and shouldn't they give Hannity credit for doing the right thing? Shouldn't there be debates like this? Shouldn't we be getting more debate, disagreement in the media? in the radio and TV talk shows? rather than the constant angry monologues or conversations between pundits who agree with each other? and maybe a fist-fight in the Senate -- for Nightly News entertainment?
I certainly do agree that we need to have more political conversations in the public sphere. I have doubts about the format of daytime television style shouting matches to move us forward, which seems to be all we get from politicians and candidates these days.

What other debates should there be?

I would be genuinely surprised to see Donald John Trump agreeing to more than one presidential debate during this whole campaign, and he may well refuse to do even that. But I think the American people "deserve to know whether or not their president is a crook" and even more so, deserve the chance to look him in the eye and ask that question.

The DeSantis Newsome debate will be like watching a raccoon chew through his leg to escape a trap.

Hannity? Given the purpose, It would been more appropriate to have Gerald Springer host.

Why we shouldn't care about a debate

Personally, I don't much care about a couple of political second stringers going at it on TV.
translation: all that matters is Trump! Trump! Trump! Trump! Trump! Everyone else, everything else is irrelevant. Love Trump, or Hate Trump -- but it has to be about Trump Trump Trump or it's not worth caring about.

-- And what is wrong about "second-stringers" debating? they should not be heard? What about the "third-stringers"? or the "fourth - stringers"? Why is no one below the very top .00000001% worth listening to in a debate? They couldn't possibly have anything important to say? Only the very top Elite .00000001% are worth paying any attention to? Why isn't ALL debate good, even among those at the very bottom? as long as the topic is controversial and important? Isn't any debate better than no debate at all (such as we have no debate today)?

translation: OK, sex sex sex also matters. So, it's all about Trump! Trump! Trump! plus also some sex! sex! sex! for variety. That's what America is about -- Trump and sex. Everything else is second string which we shouldn't care about. This is why debate is irrelevant.

Otherwise, will anybody watch long enough to get a mention on TikTok?
translation: OK, TikTok also matters. So all that matters is Trump! Trump! Trump! (including anti-Trump), and sex sex sex, and TikTok entertainment. Trump-Sex-TikTok -- this is what really matters in America, not a debate between opposing political ideas where someone might be challenged to think, or question something.

Last edited:
His corpse would do a better job than Hannity.

translation: OK, TikTok also matters. So all that matters is Trump! Trump! Trump! (including anti-Trump), and sex sex sex, and TikTok entertainment. Trump-Sex-TikTok -- this is what really matters in America, not a debate between opposing political ideas where someone might be challenged to think, or question something.
Pretty much. But that's not the fault of the leftists/democrats you were pontificating against in you original rant. Over 90% of all GOP primary candidates have publicly stated they would still vote for Trump even if he is convicted of a crime. Which is odd considering they are supposed to be campaigning against him.

The person with most to lose here is DeSatanist. He is tanking as a candidate. Nobody likes him. His policies in Florida are only approved of by extreme right wingers. And there is not much this clown can say to make any difference in his failing presidential candidacy. He will pound the same old tired right wing drums. Crime? Florida has a high crime rate. Immigrants? Immigrants are also landing in Florida. Drugs? Florida is a smuggler hotspot. CRT racism? Right wing war on "Woke"? He can double down on it, try to change the subject, or do a 180 and abandon things like this. All loser tactics. Twinkletoes DeSantis is doomed. He will be relentlessly fact checked on every word he utters. And Newsome knows this. Hannity and DeSantis are clueless. The fun won't be the 'debate' itself, but the aftermath, the relentless fact checking and anaysis of this shitshow. This will be as bad if not worse than the Kenedy - Nixon debates.

This debate has the potential to be both engaging and informative if managed correctly. Ideally, it would be a platform where politicians with opposing views critically assess each other's claims and achievements, with a moderator conducting fact-checks and providing scores after each round. However, what we are likely to see is a scenario where Desantis and Hannity aggressively challenge Newsom, leading to a debate filled with unsupported claims.

This debate has the potential to be both engaging and informative if managed correctly. Ideally, it would be a platform where politicians with opposing views critically assess each other's claims and achievements, with a moderator conducting fact-checks and providing scores after each round. However, what we are likely to see is a scenario where Desantis and Hannity aggressively challenge Newsom, leading to a debate filled with unsupported claims.
Now days I would be happy just to see a debate where you could understand and listen to 1 person speaking without the other debater interrupting before his/her time is up. It actually used to be like that in the Carter/Reagan days but somehow all honor and decorum has been lost in modern politics.

Now days I would be happy just to see a debate where you could understand and listen to 1 person speaking without the other debater interrupting before his/her time is up. It actually used to be like that in the Carter/Reagan days but somehow all honor and decorum has been lost in modern politics.
Unfortunately that's true.

The USA hasn't had much of a political debate, on air, for years.

I have my opinions about why, but I completely agree.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom