• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.
  • 2021 Internet Infidels Fundraising Drive
    Greetings! Time for the annual fundraiser.Sorry for the late update, we normally start this early in October. Funds are needed to keep II and IIDB online. I was not able to get an IIDB based donations addon implemented for this year, I will make sure to have that done for next year. You can help support II in several ways, please visit the Support Us page for more info. Or just click:

I will try to track all donations from IIDB. Many thanks to those that have already donated. The current total is $778. If everyone dontated just $5, we would easily hit our goal.

DISAPPOINTING JOBS REPORT is whose fault?

The current bad jobs numbers are the fault of:

• Democrats/Biden, with their higher tax-and-spend policies.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Republicans/Trumpsters, by opposing 3-4 trillion higher federal debt.

• Democrats/Republicans, by opposing admission of a million or so immigrants to fill the vacant jobs.

• Total voters

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm curious how much power people are generating via solar in the state. For example, I was recently quoted 30x 360-watt panels for my roof. I ask him if he had any others in the area that had used these panels and could comment on how much they actually generate in a year but he could not. So I'm reaching out to see if anyone can comment on yearly averages of how much they actually generate. If you don't mind letting me know how much you generate and the size of your system, I'd really appreciate it.

You're looking for the wrong information here--you might not get the same power from those panels as someone else. It's a lot more complex than that.

1) The angle at which the panels are mounted matters. This is generally your roof pitch as it looks a lot better and the engineering is simpler (and thus the costs lower) if the panels are flush with your roof. Maximum overall efficiency is attained when the angle of your panels matches your latitude. For off-grid applications you might do better with a higher angle, trading lower summer power for higher winter power.

2) The orientation of your roof. We have looked into solar here, we have little useful southern exposure, panels would have to be either east-facing or west-facing. West-facing is normally the better choice, but I'm aware of two nearby houses with east-facing panels, I do not know why. I am suspicious this was salesmen trying to do something that looked good rather than worked the best.

(Note that at large scale sun trackers are generally used to keep the panels pointed ideally, but that is normally not done at residential scale.)

3) Your local weather. You can look up the average sun hours for where you live. This gives a reasonable comparison between cities. (Somebody with twice the sun hours should expect twice the power from the same panels in the same setup.)

4) Note that the inverters always have a minimum power. Until enough light is hitting the panels you get zero power from them. This minimum scales at the size of the inverter and is unrelated to the panels themselves. A few east-facing panels on an otherwise west-facing setup will generate substantially less power than one would expect because of this. (This can be overcome by using separate inverters for separate facings, but that increases the system cost.)

Beware that salesmen will like to sell as much as they can, whether that's ideal for you or not. They're also bad about discussing the actual effect of the utility paying less for power than you pay them for power. (This varies widely--in a fair system they would pay you no more than wholesale, but generally it ends up being either retail or somewhere between retail and wholesale.) The guys I talked to were either unable or unwilling to discuss this.

Top Bottom