• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Discrimination -- the reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I believe this. I've actually been told by people I
  was interviewed by but did not get a job that they couldnt give it to me because I was male and white. This was after they retired or were working someplace else.

Last edited:
it is what it is. I'm not going to be angry or bitter about it. If my ancestors had treated minorities and women equally and not been discriminatory I might have lost out to them applying to a job anyway.

Loren, what makes you think the progressive left, who simultaneously deny this happens and also claim it's good that it happens and cry more about it white boy, doesn't already know this?

Let's examine some of the nomenclature in the article. "Reverse discrimination". This term is both detestable and nonsense. Speeding on highway A southbound is speeding. Speeding on highway A northbound is not 'reverse speeding'. It's speeding.

In before Don2's "but muh reverse discriminationz!!111one!!1"

The only thing more detestable though, than the term 'reverse discrimination', is the use of the term 'diverse'. The white people who champion this term appear to be completely oblivious as to how it continues to centre the white, male experience as the background default. Everyone else is exotic and funny and provides some ethnic spice. No individual is 'diverse', unless he is lying on Grindr.

Of course it's discrimination. It's deliberate discrimination ("reverse discrimination" if you will) which attempts to reverse centuries of discrimination against blacks.

How well does it work toward achieving its goal? I don't know; it's imperfect of course, but is there a better plan? And the very same white males that whinge about this discrimination are usually happy to deny that blacks themselves continue to suffer from many other forms of discrimination.

I watched a Chris Rock video where he says "There's not a white man among you who would trade places with me. And I'm rich!"

Whingeing against affirmative action is popular but misplaced IMO. Present company excepted of course, but I'll guess that many of the whingers are themselves racist.

Of course it's discrimination. It's deliberate discrimination ("reverse discrimination" if you will) which attempts to reverse centuries of discrimination against blacks.

How well does it work toward achieving its goal?
It...works not at all. Because past discrimination cannot be reversed. Time travel into the past does not exist.

I don't know; it's imperfect of course, but is there a better plan?
It's not 'imperfect'. It is actively destructive. And the better plan is to stop discriminating by race.

And the very same white males that whinge about this discrimination are usually happy to deny that blacks themselves continue to suffer from many other forms of discrimination.

I watched a Chris Rock video where he says "There's not a white man among you who would trade places with me. And I'm rich!"

Whingeing against affirmative action is popular but misplaced IMO. Present company excepted of course, but I'll guess that many of the whingers are themselves racist.
Yes: discriminating against white men (and Asians, in a Western context) is at the heart of many affirmative action programs.

I find it vulgar to discriminate by race.

I'm with you on that. I have a question for you, are you a slavery in America & its effects on African American's denier? If so, thanks for being honest. If not, what do you propose should have been done to level the playing field for African Americans in an environment where the majority didn't want them to succeed?

I'm with you on that. I have a question for you, are you a slavery in America & its effects on African American's denier?
You will have to explain what you mean by that.

If so, thanks for being honest. If not, what do you propose should have been done to level the playing field for African Americans in an environment where the majority didn't want them to succeed?
Again, you will have to explain what you mean by 'leveling the playing field'. What is the playing field, what time periods are you talking about, who are the players and what is the game, is leveling the playing field more important than every other consideration, and if so, why?

But if I understand what you mean, my proposal to 'level the playing field' is to stop discriminating by race. Slavery in America made all of America poorer. Discrimination by race made all of America poorer. Discrimination by race makes all of America poorer.

Discrimination by race does make the economic pie for everyone smaller. But is a facile dismissal of the effects of discrimination because it makes the intended victims more poor.

There is all kinds of discrimination against minorities in the US to this day, even if some employers have been told to hire more Black folks and women.

For example, anyone who follows the real estate market like I do, knows that Black homeowners are usually discriminated against when it comes to home appraisals.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/25/realestate/blacks-minorities-appraisals-discrimination.html

Abena and Alex Horton wanted to take advantage of low home-refinance rates brought on by the coronavirus crisis. So in June, they took the first step in that process, welcoming a home appraiser into their four-bedroom, four-bath ranch-style house in Jacksonville, Fla.
The Hortons live just minutes from the Ortega River, in a predominantly white neighborhood of 1950s homes that tend to sell for $350,000 to $550,000. They had expected their home to appraise for around $450,000, but the appraiser felt differently, assigning a value of $330,000. Ms. Horton, who is Black, immediately suspected discrimination.
The couple’s bank agreed that the value was off and ordered a second appraisal. But before the new appraiser could arrive, Ms. Horton, a lawyer, began an experiment: She took all family photos off the mantle. Instead, she hung up a series of oil paintings of Mr. Horton, who is white, and his grandparents that had been in storage. Books by Zora Neale Hurston and Toni Morrison were taken off the shelves, and holiday photo cards sent by friends were edited so that only those showing white families were left on display. On the day of the appraisal, Ms. Horton took the couple’s 6-year-old son on a shopping trip to Target, and left Mr. Horton alone at home to answer the door.
The new appraiser gave their home a value of $465,000 — a more than 40 percent increase from the first appraisal.

The couple’s bank agreed that the value was off and ordered a second appraisal. But before the new appraiser could arrive, Ms. Horton, a lawyer, began an experiment: She took all family photos off the mantle. Instead, she hung up a series of oil paintings of Mr. Horton, who is white, and his grandparents that had been in storage. Books by Zora Neale Hurston and Toni Morrison were taken off the shelves, and holiday photo cards sent by friends were edited so that only those showing white families were left on display. On the day of the appraisal, Ms. Horton took the couple’s 6-year-old son on a shopping trip to Target, and left Mr. Horton alone at home to answer the door.

The new appraiser gave their home a value of $465,000 — a more than 40 percent increase from the first appraisal.
Racial discrimination takes many forms, so let's not pretend that it doesn't exist.

We keep hearing the justice warriors saying that it's about ending discrimination. Why are the people doing the hiring being told to discriminate?
Yet our office is full of white people, and new employees, who are also white, keeping showing up on a regular basis. They must not have got the memo. Or maybe the author of the article is simply making up shit.

We keep hearing the justice warriors saying that it's about ending discrimination. Why are the people doing the hiring being told to discriminate?
Yet our office is full of white people, and new employees, who are also white, keeping showing up on a regular basis. They must not have got the memo. Or maybe the author of the article is simply making up shit.

Facts. At my job of roughly 50 people. 3 are black, 4 are latino and the rest is white. Management is all white.

What's crazy is we have an Equity and Diversity team consisting of 5 people. One is a black women, one is a male Asian and the rest are old white men. :ROFLMAO: This is not my saying they aren't good people that are effective at their jobs.

Maybe. Or it is also possible that these managers are reporting what their interpretation of what they were told (e.g. promote diversity in hiring gets translated in their brain as stop hiring white men).

My observation is that in my state, white people cannot do enough to prove how not racist they are ....with regards to black people who immigrated from Africa and their children. You know: the ones who came here the 'right' way. Not the ones who descended from enslaved people.

Metaphor is going to take some minor nit-pick from Gospel's question and blow it up.

Facts. At my job of roughly 50 people. 3 are black, 4 are latino and the rest is white. Management is all white.

Facts? :confused2: Do you think facts are of interest to people denying the efficacy of affirmative action and other policies to reverse racial discrimination?

Discrimination by race does make the economic pie for everyone smaller. But is a facile dismissal of the effects of discrimination because it makes the intended victims more poor.

If you accidentally leave out a key word or otherwise render your message intelligible, but have exceeded the Edit Time-out, feel free to contact me or another Mod to amend the unclear sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom