• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Discrimination -- the reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

How did you get “mocking and disdainful” out of “valuable to the team?”
What are you talking about?
He didn't get it out of “valuable to the team”; he got it out of "Help! I'm being oppressed!1!".
Ha ha, that was the objection? That I made a joke about a poster here at IIDB, in the most highly employed racial group, bitterly complaining about the oppression?
Keep in mind that to an unemployed person who's unemployed because he was discriminated against, his personal unemployment rate is 100%, not whatever the average rate is for whichever demographic you consider him a faceless representative of. Pointing at 96 other people and saying they all have jobs is not a justification; it's merely adding insult to injury. I think TB's point was that belittling people for reacting negatively to having been denied jobs because of the color of their skin is unbecoming in a hiring manager.
Except as Rhea has pointed out, that is not what she was doing.

So strawman then. Got it.
:rolleyesa:

It's not as though you can get away with it, so why do you guys even bother trying to gaslight us? That is exactly what she was doing. She can claim until she's blue in the face that it was only "a joke about a poster here at IIDB", but it wasn't a poster here at IIDB that she put those words in the mouth of. She put those words in the mouths of the 4.7% of white Americans who are unemployed.
Your argument,might be convincing it requires the audience to be hypersensitive literalists who ignore context and hyperbole whenever it is convenient to wave their virtue to their ideological brethren or convervative nimrods or to white nationalists. Fortunately for the US, those groups still do not add up to a majority of the population.

It's not as though you can get away with it, so why do you guys even bother trying to gaslight us? That is exactly what she was doing. She can claim until she's blue in the face that it was only "a joke about a poster here at IIDB", but it wasn't a poster here at IIDB that she put those words in the mouth of. She put those words in the mouths of the 4.7% of white Americans who are unemployed.
Isn't "full employment" about 4% unemployment level? Meaning she is allegedly putting those words in the mouths of 0.7% of whites who are unemployed?
"The unemployment numbers of whites caused by affirmative action" :facepalm: You might as well argue it's okay to ridicule somebody's cleft palate because the condition is so rare.
Not really, because I am not satisfied that there is a measurable number of white people who are unemployed because of Affirmative Action, forget it being demonstrated that it exists to any level worth considering outside of background noise. Cleft palate unarguably exists.

You are accusing a person of a slight against people that you haven't even demonstrated exist. Yes, there are unemployed white people... and underemployed white people. But the cause is a tad bit more complicated than this thread or OP want to suggest it is.

I wonder how many of these employers are hiding behind affirmative action rather than admitting minority's are more likely to except earning less.
Probably close to the same number who let other employees believe that those new hires with a bit more color in their skin were AA hires rather than that they were just better qualified. But yeah, I had not actually thought of the less pay thing.

Isn't "full employment" about 4% unemployment level? Meaning she is allegedly putting those words in the mouths of 0.7% of whites who are unemployed?
"The unemployment numbers of whites caused by affirmative action" :facepalm: You might as well argue it's okay to ridicule somebody's cleft palate because the condition is so rare.
Not really, because I am not satisfied that there is a measurable number of white people who are unemployed because of Affirmative Action, forget it being demonstrated that it exists to any level worth considering outside of background noise. Cleft palate unarguably exists.
WHAAAT???? White people who are unemployed due to discrimination are now just white noise!!!! How insensitive!!! Don't you realize that the burdens of white people, no matter how small or insignificant in the grand scheme of things, are more important and pressing than the burdens of anyone else? Don't you realize that the instant you do not genuflect at the altar of white people, that it is grave insult? Really, why do you hate white people so much??

WHAAAT???? White people who are unemployed due to discrimination are now just white noise!!!! How insensitive!!! Don't you realize that the burdens of white people, no matter how small or insignificant in the grand scheme of things, are more important and pressing than the burdens of anyone else? Don't you realize that the instant you do not genuflect at the altar of white people, that it is grave insult? Really, why do you hate white people so much??
The finding that White liberals are the *only* group with an out-group preference is fascinating. No other group has such distain and disgust for their own. The question is why?

The finding that White liberals are the *only* group with an out-group preference is fascinating. No other group has such distain and disgust for their own. The question is why?
Thank you for proving my point.

The remedy is to stop discriminating by race and sex.

I'm curious. How do you propose we stop folks that discriminate by race and sex from doing so when shaking our fingers at them disapprovingly doesn't work?
There have been laws against discriminating by race and sex since the 1970s in Australia. These are actionable in our state and territory human rights boards and commissions.

Preference?

And you prove mine. Whenever there is discussion of a disadvantaged person who happens to be White, White lefties have nothing but scorn. Would you say the same derogatory things if that person happened to be a different race? What's with that?

You are correct: I have no idea of the horrors that too tall white men face in the labor market (I believe IT? Apologies if that is not correct ) in Australia.

I was able to find this statistical report, however. I know this may not reflect your reality:

You are certainly correct that you do not know me or my circumstances.

Now I'm not sure where you get 'discrimination by sex' from any of the figures in the report, but I'm sure I'm simply too dense to understand.

And you prove mine. Whenever there is discussion of a disadvantaged person who happens to be White, White lefties have nothing but scorn. Would you say the same derogatory things if that person happened to be a different race? What's with that?
I don't know what you think you are reading, but it is not anything I wrote. I am mocking white snowflakes.

I'm curious. How do you propose we stop folks that discriminate by race and sex from doing so when shaking our fingers at them disapprovingly doesn't work?
There have been laws against discriminating by race and sex since the 1970s in Australia. These are actionable in our state and territory human rights boards and commissions.
What kind of action does AUS law take? I'm not asking for "we have laws". What does the law do about it when someone is found guilty of discrimination?

Keep in mind that to an unemployed person who's unemployed because he was discriminated against, his personal unemployment rate is 100%, not whatever the average rate is for whichever demographic you consider him a faceless representative of. Pointing at 96 other people and saying they all have jobs is not a justification; it's merely adding insult to injury. I think TB's point was that belittling people for reacting negatively to having been denied jobs because of the color of their skin is unbecoming in a hiring manager.
Exactly what I was saying about discrimination being against the individual. It makes no difference to you what the unemployment rate is of those like you.

What kind of action does AUS law take? I'm not asking for "we have laws". What does the law do about it when someone is found guilty of discrimination?
There is a wide variety of options available: fines, specific action, etc

Exactly what I was saying about discrimination being against the individual. It makes no difference to you what the unemployment rate is of those like you.
Oh, that's not true. There are actually people who care about others and who care when they see others who are not them harmed by unfair labor practices.

I tend not to know the race or sex of other people applying for roles I have applied for.
Then how can you declare you've never experienced a benefit from being a white male.
Because I've been on the other side of the hiring process, in the same institutions I applied at.
But you weren't there when you were first hired.
No, and therefore equally I might have experienced disadvantage due to my whiteness and maleness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom