• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Discworld is no more.

It seems I was a tad quick with the no more bit.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shepherd's_Crown
And with Stephen Baxter
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Utopia

And still they will not be enough for the fans. :(
I thought he was done with Aching? She grew up, and it would no longer be a children's book.

Ah, well. I suppose i'll be forced to read it and work very hard to hide any disappointment.

On the other hand, i thought i read that his daughter was going to be writing Discworld novels?

I've read all the Tiffany Aching books and was not a bit disappointed. I read Wintersmith twice.

Morporker.png

Although I never did understand the appeal of his books - did try Jingo and didn't find it that great - I admired his work on the Dementia issue. More needs doing on that.

Terry Pratchett is my favourite author.
I'll always remember two moments from Hogfather.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvwYCbBWxT8[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnaQXJmpwM4[/YOUTUBE]

Although I never did understand the appeal of his books - did try Jingo and didn't find it that great - I admired his work on the Dementia issue. More needs doing on that.

Jingo is the only Pratchett book I didn't really like. I don't think I finished it. I've read all of his books except for two recent ones and that's the only one that didn't grab me.

From now on, when someone is thinking about starting the Discworld series, I will suggest that they don't start with Jingo. lol

Jingo is the only Pratchett book I didn't really like. I don't think I finished it. I've read all of his books except for two recent ones and that's the only one that didn't grab me.

From now on, when someone is thinking about starting the Discworld series, I will suggest that they don't start with Jingo. lol
Well, Jingo tends to depend heavily on familiarity with the characters. It just makes sense that Carrot would get two warring armies to settle their differences by a football game in the middle of the war zone....and get away with it.

The Colour of Magic at least has Two Flower, the outsider, who gets introduced to Ankh Mopork as a means of introducing the reader.

Well, Jingo tends to depend heavily on familiarity with the characters. It just makes sense that Carrot would get two warring armies to settle their differences by a football game in the middle of the war zone....and get away with it.

The Colour of Magic at least has Two Flower, the outsider, who gets introduced to Ankh Mopork as a means of introducing the reader.

I was very familiar with all or most of them when I read Jingo. It's a Pratchett book, so it is still full of excellent prose and character insights, as well as just laughs. I think I must have not understood something in the story from the start. It's the only reason I can think of that I would get bored with a story written by Terry Pratchett.

I was very familiar with all or most of them when I read Jingo. It's a Pratchett book, so it is still full of excellent prose and character insights, as well as just laughs. I think I must have not understood something in the story from the start. It's the only reason I can think of that I would get bored with a story written by Terry Pratchett.
I liked it, but i did find it a bit.... Preachy is not the word i want.

There's the theater adage, if you want to send a message, use Western Union. I think Jingo is the Pratchett book that he's trying the hardest to send a clear, specific message.

There's the theater adage, if you want to send a message, use Western Union. I think Jingo is the Pratchett book that he's trying the hardest to send a clear, specific message.

Small Gods presents a pretty clear and specific message regarding religious dogmatism.

Small Gods presents a pretty clear and specific message regarding religious dogmatism.

Yes; I don't think the problem is with the presence of a message. Small Gods is one of my favourite Discworld novels, and Jingo perhaps my least favourite.

I think that Jingo is just not Pterry's best work. Even the best have off days. Perhaps he was being hassled by a publisher to get it out before he was completely happy with it; Perhaps he was distracted by something else when he was writing it.

I agree completely that Jingo is probably a poor starting point for approaching Discworld; Mort, Guards Guards, or Small Gods would be better starting points, IMO. The Colour of Magic, despite being the first in the series, I wouldn't recommend to a novice either - it lacks the polish of the later books, and some of the concepts and characters are not quite as well developed as they became later on. It was a revelation back in the mid 1980s, but the genre has leaped forward since then - in large part due to Pterry himself.

The Colour of Magic, despite being the first in the series, I wouldn't recommend to a novice either - it lacks the polish of the later books, and some of the concepts and characters are not quite as well developed as they became later on.
Good point.

Has anyone here seen The Witch ?
There is a goat in the film named Black Phillip, who will definately put you in mind of The Mince Of Darkness from his last book
goat-rungif.gif

goat-lookgif.gif

goat-dancegif.gif

Back
Top Bottom