• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

#distractinglysexy

The main problem with what he said was that he was making it an issue of women in the workplace and not just workplace. If there were no men in labs, none of that would happen, either.

But I imagine someone of his mentality would then just blame gays and lesbians.

The objections are not at all baseless, but the reactions definitely overblown.

I'm not sure it was the reactions that were overblown. I did see a ton of (mostly very funny) #disarminglysexy tweets. I didn't see people calling for his job (at least not on Twitter)

The main problem with what he said was that he was making it an issue of women in the workplace and not just workplace. If there were no men in labs, none of that would happen, either.

But I imagine someone of his mentality would then just blame gays and lesbians.

I'm not sure it was the reactions that were overblown. I did see a ton of (mostly very funny) #disarminglysexy tweets. I didn't see people calling for his job (at least not on Twitter)

yeah, that's what I mean. The twitter tsunami was great! but around that, there's a lot of people attacking the guy or saying anything unfair done to him is OK because they don't like his ideology. I say we can skip the punishment mentality for this guy who is not a politician or preacher or Hollywood star with a blog and still ridicule the ideology, which we agree is pretty much shit in regard to women.

The man quit his job. Does anyone have any evidence that he was literally forced to resign? If not, then this has nothing to do with political correctness.
The words of his wife, from the Guardian newspaper:

"I was told by a senior that Tim had to resign immediately or be sacked – though I was told it would be treated as a low-key affair. Tim duly emailed his resignation when he got home. The university promptly announced his resignation on its website and started tweeting that they had got rid of him. Essentially, they had hung both of us out to dry. They certainly did not treat it as a low-key affair. I got no warning about the announcement and no offer of help, even though I have worked there for nearly 20 years. It has done me lasting damage. What they did was unacceptable."

yeah, that's what I mean. The twitter tsunami was great! but around that, there's a lot of people attacking the guy or saying anything unfair done to him is OK because they don't like his ideology. I say we can skip the punishment mentality for this guy who is not a politician or preacher or Hollywood star with a blog and still ridicule the ideology, which we agree is pretty much shit in regard to women.

agree 100%

Sexism will not go away just leaving it there.
Of all the ways to possibly "make it go away," ruining one old man's life is just about useless, and serves more as gratification for torch bearing villagers who think putting a head on a pike works to do that.

The problem is not a personal one. It's an impersonal aspect of our culture. It's cumulative and shared, meaning there is no one person or group responsible for it.

The twitter hashtag campaign perfectly captured what is ridiculous and cartoonish in the ideology, that chauvanistic element of culture, and not the individual expressing his views. It did not demand that that one person be villified, fired, or otherwise punished beyond maybe feeling a bit stupid.

Sexism will not go away just leaving it there.
Of all the ways to possibly "make it go away," ruining one old man's life is just about useless, and serves more as gratification for torch bearing villagers who think putting a head on a pike works to do that.

The problem is not a personal one. It's an impersonal aspect of our culture. It's cumulative and shared, meaning there is no one person or group responsible for it.

The twitter hashtag campaign perfectly captured what is ridiculous and cartoonish in the ideology, that chauvanistic element of culture, and not the individual expressing his views. It did not demand that that one person be villified, fired, or otherwise punished beyond maybe feeling a bit stupid.

It's an problem. How much is too much? How much will it take to exorcise sexism from the workplace?

What
ever
it
fucking
takes.

That means your efforts are serious and not just a coffee table chitchat subject. The same with racism, homophobia, antisemitism, ageism and the other many forms of odious discrimination. Because that's what it is, discrimination. Words are not just wind, they carry weight, enough to keep people out of places, events and well earned promotions.

And if it takes a battalion when just a kind warning won't do, well then I'm so sorry, no woman or black or gay earned your damaging rubbish, Mr Hunt (or whatever other surname).

Is it enough of bashing chauvinists? If chauvinism, racism, etc are still there, I don't think so. It's already enough... of bullying people because one feels entitled to do that "bravery" against people weaker than oneself.

It's an problem. How much is too much? How much will it take to exorcise sexism from the workplace?

What
ever
it
fucking
takes.

That means your efforts are serious and not just a coffee table chitchat subject. The same with racism, homophobia, antisemitism, ageism and the other many forms of odious discrimination. Because that's what it is, discrimination. Words are not just wind, they carry weight, enough to keep people out of places, events and well earned promotions.

And if it takes a battalion when just a kind warning won't do, well then I'm so sorry, no woman or black or gay earned your damaging rubbish.

Nice example of zealotry.

What
ever
it
fucking
takes.

And if it takes a battalion when just a kind warning won't do, well then I'm so sorry, no woman or black or gay earned your damaging rubbish, Mr Hunt (or whatever).

Is it enough of bashing chauvinists? If chauvinism, racism, etc are still there, I don't think so. It's already enough... of bullying people in societiy because one feels entitled to do that against people weaker than oneself.

Part of the problem is sexism is not always easily defined. Opening a door for a woman is generally considered "sexist" (i.e. benevolent sexism, to be specific). Should a guy who was raised as a "southern gentleman" type be fired at his job for opening a door for a woman? Many a man has been chewed out for opening doors for a random women, and other men have been scolded for not opening a door for a woman. This could get ridiculous (not that we aren't there already).

That's actually too bad. He certainly deserved the ribbing he got from Twitter for his comments, but I don't think he deserved to lose his job for it. From all reports, he never behaved in a sexist manner towards the women he worked with over the years.

Kinda weird that this man should be forced to resign so quickly after so little while others *cough* Richard Dawkins *cough * are like teflon

Haven't you been following the trend? Those words retroactively harassed every female he ever interacted with. He is lucky he only lost his job and wasn't arrested for rape.

What
ever
it
fucking
takes.

And if it takes a battalion when just a kind warning won't do, well then I'm so sorry, no woman or black or gay earned your damaging rubbish, Mr Hunt (or whatever).

Is it enough of bashing chauvinists? If chauvinism, racism, etc are still there, I don't think so. It's already enough... of bullying people in societiy because one feels entitled to do that against people weaker than oneself.

Part of the problem is sexism is not always easily defined. Opening a door for a woman is generally considered "sexist" (i.e. benevolent sexism, to be specific). Should a guy who was raised as a "southern gentleman" type be fired at his job for opening a door for a woman? Many a man has been chewed out for opening doors for a random women, and other men have been scolded for not opening a door for a woman. This could get ridiculous (not that we aren't there already).

This is the American social contract on the subject:
Two people approach a door at the same time (from the same side of the door). The first person to reach for the door holds it open for the next. That person should be the one furthest from the door hinge (and closest to the knob), for practicality reasons. Two people approach a door at the same time (from opposite sides of the door). The person on the side of the door that the door swings holds it for the other person. When people get this wrong, it is so annoying. If you are hinge side or opposite the door swing side and attempting to hold the door, you are reaching across the other person and attempting to (probably poorly) hold the door open with the most leverage against you as possible... you look stupid and your attempt at helping is ineffectual and obstructive. So stop that.
Finally, if you are the only person approaching the door. spend half a fucking second to gain situational awareness. If someone is only a few paces behind you, hold the door. If they are more than a few paces behind you then don't hold the door.

Gender has nothing to do with who should be holding doors for others.

If you have any questions on how to behave in public, I will be happy to answer them for you.

And if it takes a battalion when just a kind warning won't do, well then I'm so sorry, no woman or black or gay earned your damaging rubbish, Mr Hunt (or whatever other surname).

Is it enough of bashing chauvinists? If chauvinism, racism, etc are still there, I don't think so.
So, do you also feel people should lose their jobs if they advocate communism?

It's already enough... of bullying people because one feels entitled to do that "bravery" against people weaker than oneself.
Hmm, yes, you can always tell who has the power -- he's the one getting fired.

Universities don't "fire" Nobel laureates. They "strongly suggest" then offer noncommittal statements to the public.
And does anyone really think that this suggestion is anything but a bluff? Sorry, I think this guy should have made them fire him over this comment. Then he'd look like a real victim rather than a rather clueless twit.

So, do you also feel people should lose their jobs if they advocate communism?

It's already enough... of bullying people because one feels entitled to do that "bravery" against people weaker than oneself.
Hmm, yes, you can always tell who has the power -- he's the one getting fired.

In any case, what a superficial, decontextualized, knee-jerk reading of the situation. In no manner, shape or form are women, blacks or gays in charge if bigots get the boot. Civil Rights protections do not support the powerful, but shelter those who will be screwed by the powerful.

By the way, the man was not fired. He was Twitter-gang-raped into quitting by those who would not stand for the system not doing anything to stop this "brave" agressor of that half of humanity who is universally, systematically elbowed out of actual freedom to work, live, manage their own loins, or have their duly earned retributions for excellent work--for tens of thousands of years already (and counting).

Well, his attitude is pretty much inline with some Muslim clerics.

If women come into the mix, it's THEIR fault that there is a distraction.

I suppose he'd be OK with women being around the lab if they wore bourkhas and didn't speak to any men not their relatives.

Exactly !! Tim Hunt is a sexist cunt and he wants women stoned to death !! He should be hounded out of his job and then charged with a "hate crime" !

Universities don't "fire" Nobel laureates. They "strongly suggest" then offer noncommittal statements to the public.
And does anyone really think that this suggestion is anything but a bluff? Sorry, I think this guy should have made them fire him over this comment. Then he'd look like a real victim rather than a rather clueless twit.
His wife certainly thought it was more than "a bluff". The university severely damaged his wife's reputation (who had 20 years with the university) to make the politically correct point to the public that they support "gender equality".

His wife certainly thought it was more than "a bluff".
Okay, but that is not terribly convincing.
The university severely damaged his wife's reputation (who had 20 years with the university) to make the politically correct point to the public that they support "gender equality".
How did they do that?

The guy was in an honorary professorship.

He's fucking 70 something.

That he was 'forced to resign' ruins absolutely nothing. He is still a Nobel Prize winner. That was not taken from him. His productive years are probably behind him now anyway. Having been in academic circles, I bet there were plenty of his colleagues glad to see the old geezer go.

Having been in the hard sciences track in college, I am used to misogynistic male professors, having taken required classes from at least 2 of them. Yes, they're pretty contemptuous of women, of the soft sciences and yes, both of them were the ONLY professors teaching required classes. Hmmmm, wonder if any women students lost out on research and assistant teaching invitations in their labs and classes because they weren't men.

The guy was in an honorary professorship.

He's fucking 70 something.
I see. Sexism is awful but agism is dandy.
That he was 'forced to resign' ruins absolutely nothing. He is still a Nobel Prize winner. That was not taken from him. His productive years are probably behind him now anyway. Having been in academic circles, I bet there were plenty of his colleagues glad to see the old geezer go.
Again with the agism. I'm sure his knowledge of the field is still well above most. But what he lost is lucrative consultation and lucrative speaking engagement referrals. The speaking engagement where he made the statement was likely arranged through the university's referral. Many organizations seeking expert advice and/or guest speakers go to universities for referrals. I had a few professors who said that was the only reason they were at the university. Their income from consultation and speaking referrals they got through the university was much greater than their professor's salaries.
Having been in the hard sciences track in college, I am used to misogynistic male professors, having taken required classes from at least 2 of them. Yes, they're pretty contemptuous of women, of the soft sciences and yes, both of them were the ONLY professors teaching required classes. Hmmmm, wonder if any women students lost out on research and assistant teaching invitations in their labs and classes because they weren't men.
I'm sure that some women have lost out because of sexism. However some men have too. That is life. I was once required to hire a woman for a position even though she was less qualified than the men I interviewed because administration wanted a woman even though I wanted the best qualified. Women in primarily male professions are much sought after, not because of their higher qualifications but because so few women in comparison are in the fields.

Well then, both sides cancel each other! All is fixed!
Oh wait...

Women in primarily male professions are much sought after, not because of their higher qualifications but because so few women in comparison are in the fields.

That means as long as those policies are in place, women are at a disadvantage. I guess there's no equality until those policies become unnecessary because of parity.

Back
Top Bottom