• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Do minds exist?

again a bold claim and a question to change the subject.

I can only deal with so much of your babbling so I'll just address this.

A bold claim that I have direct knowledge of my mind?

There is nothing bold about it. It is the most ordinary claim a human can make. If I tell somebody that I have thoughts that they can't hear there is no surprise.

And the only way to have a thought is to have a mind that experiences it.

And the questions are not to change the subject. They are for you to try to answer.

So either try to answer them or not, I don't care. You're not at a place where you can teach me anything.
I could care less about your penny aunty questions that are to deflect from the fact that your claims are unfounded.
I clearly explained to you the solution to your problem, that the mind, a mind, and minds are fiction and that the brain is responsible for thought and motor control... at this point idiots understand the solution.
which leaves the following for you:
what is the evidence to support your bold claims?

I could care less about your penny aunty questions that are to deflect from the fact that your claims are unfounded....

My claim is that I have direct experience of my mind.
no shit, fuck this is stupid and futile.
seriously
I asked "what evidence do you have?"
quit acting like a three year old and try to expose the evidence!
what is the evidence for your delusion/bold claims?

I can only deal with so much of your babbling so I'll just address this.

A bold claim that I have direct knowledge of my mind?

There is nothing bold about it. It is the most ordinary claim a human can make. If I tell somebody that I have thoughts that they can't hear there is no surprise.

And the only way to have a thought is to have a mind that experiences it.

And the questions are not to change the subject. They are for you to try to answer.

So either try to answer them or not, I don't care. You're not at a place where you can teach me anything.
I could care less about your penny aunty questions that are to deflect from the fact that your claims are unfounded.
I clearly explained to you the solution to your problem, that the mind, a mind, and minds are fiction and that the brain is responsible for thought and motor control...

Anyone with half a brain understands that the brain being responsible for thought does not preclude the existence of the mind.

I clearly explained to you the solution to your problem, that the mind, a mind, and minds are fiction and that the brain is responsible for thought and motor control...

Anyone with half a brain understands that the brain being responsible for thought does not preclude the existence of the mind.
Yeah I admit a mind might exist but truthfully I know nothing about it and neither do you.

Yeah I admit a mind might exist but truthfully I know nothing about it and neither do you.

I know more than you do, since you only seem to know that the brain causes thoughts and motor control, but don't know that thought is included in the mind.

But go ahead and carry on in your fringe science denialism. It doesn't has no bearing on the reality that the mind exists and is a set of activities of the brain.

I know more than you do, since you only seem to know that the brain causes thoughts and motor control, but don't know that thought is included in the mind.

But go ahead and carry on in your fringe science denialism. It doesn't has no bearing on the reality that the mind exists and is a set of activities of the brain.

okay more bold claims this time from a not so innocent stander, maybe stand in...
either way what is the evidence to support your delusion?
pfft more like stand up

My claim is that I have direct experience of my mind.
seriously

What do you possibly think evidence is?

If you experience something THAT is evidence.

How is it possible for you to not know that?

I have direct evidence of my mind.

And almost every other thinking human will say the same.

Only a moron will use their mind, say to try to make an argument, and then deny they have one.

Last edited:
Juma said:
Do you think that you can get concepts from written texts? (As in textbooks in scool)

Then why couldnt that text have been written buy a computer?
What does that have to do with the assurance of our own mind?

It was a response to you unsupported statement that awarewness as we human experiences it, are necessary to form concepts and to make sense of the world.

Books are supports for communication. Any concept we can form in our mind from reading a book would come from the writer of the book trying to communicate a concept he has in mind. That's usually what we believe happens. Computers work in the same way as books. I can read other people's posts on my computer and my mind may succeed forming concepts I will believe represent what these people had in mind when writing their posts. Whether a computer could invent new concepts on its own is unclear at the moment. However, that's not really the point. At the moment, no computer can, certainly given any forseeable technology, do what the human mind does (certainly not mine), rather than just producing concepts. Remember untermensche is talking about the human mind. It would be irrelevant here to prove that a computer has some kind of computer mind that can produce concepts unless you could prove further that its mind does everything a human mind does, which is hard to imagine you could do.
EB

You are so stubborn that you do not understand the obvious explanation.
The obvious explanation is my brain and your brain and the brain is responsible for motor control and thought, and the "mind" is a figment of the imagination that originates with the brain.

So imagination exists but a mind doesn't. What's the difference between imagination and mind?
In the same vein fromderinside and a few others used to say, a few years back, that consciousness was an illusion. I'm not entirely sure he has moved on since.
EB

seriously

Only a moron will use their mind, say to try to make an argument, and then deny they have one.

you aren't experiencing anything, you are just saying there is something.
I asked you what your experience is and you have come up empty, just wild fucking claims.
dorks use their brain and make up shit about minds and that is obvious from listening to you.
get real.
and your evidence is a claim, a fucking prediction, fuck this is stupid.
I've been asking for 20 pages how do you know and the best I get is not justification for your beliefs but deflecting questions and claims that the claim that there is a mind is true because you claim it.
that isn't evidence, at best that is rumor.

I asked you what your experience is and you have come up empty, just wild fucking claims.
dorks use their brain and make up shit about minds and that is obvious from listening to you.
get real.
I've been asking for 20 pages how do you know and the best I get is not justification for your beliefs but deflecting questions and claims that the claim that there is a mind is true because you claim it.

You are a child whining about nothing.

You don't seem to comprehend what "evidence" is.

It is all that we experience.

To not know that when you see a rock it is evidence of a rock even of nobody else is around is astounding.

Just as experience of a thought is evidence of a thought even if nobody else can experience that thought.

And experience of a thought is experience of a mind in action.

get real.

You are a child whining about nothing.

You don't seem to comprehend what "evidence" is.

It is all that we experience.

To not know that when you see a rock it is evidence of a rock even of nobody else is around is astounding.

Just as experience of a thought is evidence of a thought even if nobody else can experience that thought.
^this is just bullshit.
why do you even ramble about this stupid shit and not get to the point?
And experience of a thought is experience of a mind in action.
pfft, how do you know that?
I have been asking for explanations and evidence for a while now...
you almost have a chance to redeem yourself.
so how do you know that experience of a thought is experience of a mind?
and don't start with more fucking questions and rhetorical bullshit, just answer the question.

At the moment, no computer can, certainly given any forseeable technology, do what the human mind does (certainly not mine), rather than just producing concepts.
EB

Computers can:
Calculate
Make analogies
Guess
Remember
Prioritize
Etc

What is that your mind can do that a computer cannot?

do you have enough time to dis-spell the notion you are an idiot undersmeck?

Back
Top Bottom